Blade Runner 2 is a go. Ryan Gosling & Harrison Ford confirmed. Filming starts at July.

• 57 results
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So after years and years of rumors of a sequel to the iconic Blade Runner, it's finally official. Blade Runner 2 is going to happen.

Right now my mind is reeling with jumbled thoughts so I'll try to arrange them into a coherent though later so for now I'll just give the facts and ask a couple of questions.

Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford are confirmed with Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Prisoners). Filming starts at July.

What are your thoughts?

Personally I am curious to see which direction they will go.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm glad it's not a remake, at least, but I'm pretty sure including Harrison Ford as an old Deckard can only hurt the movie.

Seriously, he was great in Blade Runner, that doesn't mean he needs to be in a sequel. I'm stoked about future-noir Ryan Gosling at any rate.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're too old for this, Harrison. Although Gosling playing a replicant suits his range.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@shindig said:

You're too old for this, Harrison. Although Gosling playing a replicant suits his range.

LOOOOL

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

So after Ridley wasn't directing...then was directing...then wasn't directing...then was directing, he is now not directing.

Moreover, of all the unnecessary sequels that I could think of, this is definitely at the top of the list. At least they got Hampton Fancher to write the screenplay, which I'm sure will get destroyed by the studios with rewrites in much the same way that the original did.

I just...I don't want this. At all. For any reason. Ever.

akke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By akke

I think Villeneuve was an excellent choice, as a big fan of Enemy. Was Ford already attached to the project before he was? Despite being really disappointed by Jose Padhila/Robocop I can't help but be optimistic for this one.

Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@mordukai said:

So after years and years of rumors of a sequel to the iconic Blade Runner, it's finally official. Blade Runner 2 is going to happen.

Right now my mind is reeling with jumbled thoughts so I'll try to arrange them into a coherent though later so for now I'll just give the facts and ask a couple of questions.

Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford are confirmed with Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Prisoners). Filming starts at July.

What are your thoughts?

Personally I am curious to see which direction they will go.

Oh hell yeah.

section09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Take it a step farther and just have Blade Runner 2 also be a sequel to Drive.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Still think that that Ford has some good movies left in him, so we'll see. Overall I'm not a big fan of doing a sequel to what I consider a perfect movie on it's own.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Denis Villeneuve is an amazing director...I actually wasn't interested before but his name attached excites me.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it confirmed that Ryan Gosling's character is a replicant? And honestly, I don't think it's been confirmed that Ryan Deckard is the main character.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: I think the big difference is that the changes from Fancher's original script were necessary changes to make Blade Runner what it became. The studio butchered the movie when they decided to play Director/Producer/Editor.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give it to Holden. He's good.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: yeah hes not the best actor ever but hes not bad...

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We might have a Star Wars VII situation in which Harrison Ford plays a lesser role and Gosling having the lead. Also does this sorta confirm that Deckard isn't a replicant, since you know, he's all old and stuff?

BigDaveisCheap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This shouldn't exist.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amingo: I was also wondering about that since the ending made that question ambiguous. Not really anymore. :/

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This seems about as necessary as bringing back The X-Files, but whatever, maybe it will be a good movie. Similar to Star Wars Episode VII, I basically don't care to hear about rumourmongering and wild speculation throughout production, but I'll probably go see it in theatres eventually.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Even if this sequel's bad, the original's still just as good.

Even if this...

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

@mach_go_go_go: Looks cool, but also have you played Snatcher?

Fuck yeah, son. But I feel that in terms of tone, Snatcher is about as far removed from Blade Runner as it gets. More Bubblegum Crisis than Ridley Scott.

I've also played the first disc of Policenauts (emulator broke for disc 2).

Also played Random Access Memories. Lovely game.

But... In terms of the best cyberpunk/sci-fi noir experience to be had on PC, I'm sticking with Gemini Rue. That ending... Goddamn. Adventure games rarely end well - it's difficult to cap the buildup of a narrative experience with a puzzle, but that one was pitch perfectly executed. It fit tonally with the 'Tears in Rain' spirit of the source material it borrows so heavily from, but is still a it's own take on the what-is-a-mind theme.

Fun Fact for anyone interested: The girls of Life is Strange at one point (depending on your choices) will sit down and watch BladeRunner together.

Lime_Slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lime_Slime

Awesome! Now all we need are sequels to Casablanca and Citizen Kane!

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This movie DOES NOT need to happen, filmmakers need to ditch this nostalgia bullshit and start coming up with their own ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super torn on my feelings about this. A sequel to Blade Runner is completely and totally unnecessary, but a future-noir movie starring Ryan Gosling directed by Denis Villeneuve is something I can 100% get behind. Hopefully this is allowed to be it's own thing and not just be a bunch of references to the first movie.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aethelred

Just think of all of the original science fiction screenplays that are never filmed because Hollywood wants safe bets such as sequels or movie adaptations!

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If Ridley Scott ain't directing it then I don't care. (I'll still watch it)

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Having Villanueve and Gosling attached has me very excited, and I don't even like the original all that much.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Harrison Ford just narrates the whole damn thing.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool. Look out for my The Grapes of Wrath sequel, coming later this year. Also gonna start work on a new Mona Lisa reboot. Gotta make that money.

I now understand what Adam Jensen meant when he said "I never asked for this."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The internet will hate it whether it's good or bad.

I hear it's a sequel, though, so if nothing else they'll get me to watch it. It probably won't be any good, but you never know.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

when i think about it, they changed the original blade runner cut so much and so many times in subsequent edits that maybe the brand is malleable enough to allow a second movie. i'll be cautiously optimistic.

though it would just be better if they did some blade runner inspired thing of their own so it would be, yknow, new.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super torn on my feelings about this. A sequel to Blade Runner is completely and totally unnecessary, but a future-noir movie starring Ryan Gosling directed by Denis Villeneuve is something I can 100% get behind. Hopefully this is allowed to be it's own thing and not just be a bunch of references to the first movie.

They should just shoot the original William S. Burroughs script about a smuggler who deals in illegal surgical instruments.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While a sequel to Blade Runner feels unnecessary to me, the people on board to make it (Denis Villeneuve as director, Roger Deakins as cinematographer, Hampton Fancher as one of the returning writers) gives me more confidence on the project than it should have. Even if the movie sucks at least we'll get a very good looking shitty movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins though. If any team has a chance of doing it right, its them.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But how will Harrison Ford have time to film both Blade Runner 2 and Star Wars 8 at the same time?

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

@mach_go_go_go: Looks cool, but also have you played Snatcher?

Fuck yeah, son. But I feel that in terms of tone, Snatcher is about as far removed from Blade Runner as it gets. More Bubblegum Crisis than Ridley Scott.

I've also played the first disc of Policenauts (emulator broke for disc 2).

Also played Random Access Memories. Lovely game.

But... In terms of the best cyberpunk/sci-fi noir experience to be had on PC, I'm sticking with Gemini Rue. That ending... Goddamn. Adventure games rarely end well - it's difficult to cap the buildup of a narrative experience with a puzzle, but that one was pitch perfectly executed. It fit tonally with the 'Tears in Rain' spirit of the source material it borrows so heavily from, but is still a it's own take on the what-is-a-mind theme.

Fun Fact for anyone interested: The girls of Life is Strange at one point (depending on your choices) will sit down and watch BladeRunner together.

That "Fun Fact" is probably the most French thing I have heard in my life. Let's watch this together for the noir...

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That "Fun Fact" is probably the most French thing I have heard in my life. Let's watch this together for the noir...

Life is strange Spoiler:

After watching the movie, she asks you to kill her. Now THAT'S noir!

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ruthloose said:

Life is strange Spoiler:

After watching the movie, she asks you to kill her. Now THAT'S noir!

I'm the replicant! Kill me, DECKARD!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harrison Ford is collecting dem' checks. Now to patiently wait for an Air Force One and Hollywood Homicide sequel.

DEM' CHECKS

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Ridley Scott hasn't made a good movie since American Gangster.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm just waiting for the Voight-Kampff scene where Harrison asks Gosling about a turtle, followed by 30 seconds of dead-eyed silence, with Gosling asking is he wants a toothpick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I hope to holy fuck they give it a real name and don't call it fucking Blade Runner 2. It's like The Marathon Man 2. It's like fucking The Big Chill 2.

I don't want a fucking subtitle neither, you give that movie a real Goddamn name. Like Prometheus, except don't make it any the fuck as bad as Prometheus holy shit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gnomeonfire: Hey you know, like I said.. I'll watch it regardless. Ridley ain't flawless either - Prometheus was a mess.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Technician

The ending to the Director's Cut is one of the best movie endings of all time.

They just couldn't let a great thing stay great huh? I'm so tired of people wanting to ruin the shelf life of great works of art with unnecessary sequels and remakes. Sure, Mad Max: Fury Road was a surprise, but that kind of success is extremely rare. I don't care if this movie has the best cast and crew ever assembled; fuck this shit. Sure, anything can happen, but I'm very disappointed to hear about this.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade Runner 2? Ehhhh.

Blade Runner 2, directed by Denis Villeneuve? Well, okay, we can talk.

Blade Runner 2, shot by Roger Deakins? Now. NOW.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By myke_tuna

Hopefully, they're just too afraid to have a new story in the same world, so they feel like they have to piggyback on Deckard to make it work.

I wouldn't be against a new story in the Blade Runner world. I definitely echo the sentiment that Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Interested only because of Deakins, really.