#1 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

I've been recently thinking about committing my extra time to making a blog outside of GB. I have always liked to write, even though I'm pretty shit now, this could be a terrific way to improve my writing. I was wondering who here has a site/ blog/ or video content that they make. I would be very much interested to see it.

What kind of tips/ advice do you have? How is your blog doing? And what can I expect?

P.S. Mods if you find this to be some form of advertising (it's not.) Give me the cease/desist and lock the thread if necessary.

#2 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

I have a wordpress blog where I write reviews of stuff (Games and films, mainly) because I want to be a critic but it's really just for my own benefit to see how I improve over time. Mine doesn't get many views, mainly because I don't make that much effort to spread my work around, but if you're gonna get views then you really do need to keep working constantly and making every effort you can to get people reading; from advertising on your own facebook and twitter to reading other's blogs and reblogging stuff (It's basically a 'you scratch my back' situation).

On top of that it's important to personalise your blog a little. Give people a reason to care about it, rather than it just being a bland portfolio of work (though I suppose it depends on the content you're gonna make whether it's going to be bland or not). I say this because the best websites and blogs are the ones with a distinct personality and style that keep you coming back time after time (Giantbomb, for example).

I did somehow manage to reach a point where I was getting a decent amount of pageviews, but it did take a while and you can't really expect it to be an immediate success, so don't get discouraged. If you want some examples of excellent blog writing then I recommend checking out @epicsteve's work, and I can't remember the user's name but the blog was called 'Work the Problem' and it was fantastic.

#3 Edited by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

I've run a few blogs over the years, and while I have nothing going at the moment, my primary advice is to be consistent. If people are used to seeing your newest blog on a Wednesday, do everything possible to make sure they will, because a blog can resonate when it is just a part of someone's life. Just a thing someone regularly checks. And if it's consistent, it won't feel like a week is complete without seeing whatever new thoughts you have to share. You will also not feel alright until it's done, because it's just a part of what you regularly do. There are a lot of important things to keep in mind when writing a blog, but regardless of the quality of your work, keep putting it out there consistently.

#4 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

@truthtellah: One of the reasons why I haven't started yet, is because of this, I want to prepare some type of format that I can follow, and would make it easier for me to keep with a schedule. "Be consistent" Is definitely in the top of my list.

@sploder said:

On top of that it's important to personalise your blog a little. Give people a reason to care about it, rather than it just being a bland portfolio of work (though I suppose it depends on the content you're gonna make whether it's going to be bland or not). I say this because the best websites and blogs are the ones with a distinct personality and style that keep you coming back time after time (Giantbomb, for example).

I'm actually giving a lot of thought on that, since I have background in Graphic Design, I could go all out and make it all fancy. I'm also thinking of making some sort of video content too, something like interviews and such.

Thanks for the advice so far, duders. It's very much appreciated. :)

#5 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

I also use WordPress for my blog. In terms of what to expect, getting a very small number of views is typical. I've posted a number of different kinds of writing, and in general they receive a trickle of traffic, with the exception of the Game of Thrones Power rankings which get a decent number of views. I'd say it's a good way to hone your writing skills, collate the writing that you do and is worthwhile if you actually enjoy the act of writing something. On the other hand, if you're mainly in it for attention, you'll likely get tired of it rather quickly.

Strive to be unique in style so as to differentiate your blog - that's the best way to get people reading and to improve the writing itself.

#6 Edited by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

I only blog here. You're already a blogger, so I can't give you any tips other than just follow the rules here. TruthTellah I believe has your answer covered as well.