Blu-ray here to stay?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer
I know, cheezy title.  Anyway--I been reading about how Blu-ray is a fad and will go the way of the Laserdisk (which I did own mind you), and will be replaced by streaming.  While I do agree that streaming video from the could is the future, I don't think that we're going to see that in the NEAR future.  For full disclosure, I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch LCD, PS3, Denon 3801 receiver with Mirage speakers, and I have to say that I love Blu-ray and the picture quality it brings.  My wife, who isn't really into "tech stuff", says that she sees a huge difference in Blu-rays and upconverted DVD's on the PS3. 
Now here is my issue with people saying that Blu-ray is going to die soon--nothing that we see from Cable or streaming does 1080p.  Say what you will about 1080p vs 720p vs 1080i etc...I can see a huge difference in quality.  Furthermore, Blu-rays also provide LOSSLESS audio!!!  I am currently thinking of upgrading the old receiver so I can hear the hi-def audio formats, but let me tell you--they sound great.  I don't know why people keep forgetting about the hi-def AUDIO when discussing the benefits of Blu-ray vs streaming or other things.  Another thing is that Hi-Def video files are large, and I'm a Comcast cable/internet user.  So while my 250 GB cap should be good for normal use and you-tube and gaming...I could easily see myself hitting that cap if I needed to stream HD content all the time.  Also, no way would I invest in a streaming/download system until they get the DRM thing sorted out.

Just an rant....

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer
I know, cheezy title.  Anyway--I been reading about how Blu-ray is a fad and will go the way of the Laserdisk (which I did own mind you), and will be replaced by streaming.  While I do agree that streaming video from the could is the future, I don't think that we're going to see that in the NEAR future.  For full disclosure, I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch LCD, PS3, Denon 3801 receiver with Mirage speakers, and I have to say that I love Blu-ray and the picture quality it brings.  My wife, who isn't really into "tech stuff", says that she sees a huge difference in Blu-rays and upconverted DVD's on the PS3. 
Now here is my issue with people saying that Blu-ray is going to die soon--nothing that we see from Cable or streaming does 1080p.  Say what you will about 1080p vs 720p vs 1080i etc...I can see a huge difference in quality.  Furthermore, Blu-rays also provide LOSSLESS audio!!!  I am currently thinking of upgrading the old receiver so I can hear the hi-def audio formats, but let me tell you--they sound great.  I don't know why people keep forgetting about the hi-def AUDIO when discussing the benefits of Blu-ray vs streaming or other things.  Another thing is that Hi-Def video files are large, and I'm a Comcast cable/internet user.  So while my 250 GB cap should be good for normal use and you-tube and gaming...I could easily see myself hitting that cap if I needed to stream HD content all the time.  Also, no way would I invest in a streaming/download system until they get the DRM thing sorted out.

Just an rant....

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

I don't see Blu-ray dying out anytime soon.  Yes, streaming will grow over time, but not until bandwidth is increased or data packaging changes.  I have enough trouble with Netflix's quality, let alone something delivered HD.  I'm not even sure how they would include all the bonus material found on Blu-rays. 

Plus, people like to own things, still.  To hold them in their hands.  To show them off to friends and relatives.  Ownership is a form of self expression. 

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kohe321

I hope it stays, I've bought a lot of blu-ray movies so it would suck if it failed.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolverine

I would say blu-ray will last for a good 10 years before downloading becomes to only format.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lashe

I don't think Blu-Ray will last as long as DVD has/is, but it'll be around for a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don`t think it`s going anywhere, I love my bluray's and PS3, it would suck hard if it died.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I'll always like having on my shelf, so I hope it's the new VHS or DVD. I'll never feel like I own something digital.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Luke

I hope it stays!  Counting the little blue cases on my shelf, I have exactly 10 Blu-rays now :)  Wall-E looks so badass!

I just hope the price comes-down soon.  Also re-buying all my anime is probably not going to happen, as they all look fine on upscaled DVD, and were already way too expensive enough.

I just wish they had some program where you could take-in all your DVD's, and trade-'em-up for Blu-rays... paying the difference for what the DVD costs now :p

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

What the fuck are you talking about?  I dont know when I will get an internet connection that can stream 720p or 1080p much less or when places like Netflix will have 1080p movies streaming on day one.  No, no, blu ray has its clear advantages.  Seriously, Laserdisc failed cuz it sucked and who the fuck would take care of such a huge CD?
I am hoping the prices of movies comes down too.  It used to be you could get  a new DVD for 16 bucks on day one, they need to get day one blu rays down to 20 bucks instead of 30 or 35 like they do now.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lashe
TheHBK said:
"What the fuck are you talking about?  I dont know when I will get an internet connection that can stream 720p or 1080p much less or when places like Netflix will have 1080p movies streaming on day one.  No, no, blu ray has its clear advantages.  Seriously, Laserdisc failed cuz it sucked and who the fuck would take care of such a huge CD?I am hoping the prices of movies comes down too.  It used to be you could get  a new DVD for 16 bucks on day one, they need to get day one blu rays down to 20 bucks instead of 30 or 35 like they do now."

Can I just point out that it was not exactly too long ago that 512k was the best broadband speed available in the UK, and now it is up nearly 40 times that. Take that factor again in 6-7 years and you're looking at 800mbps (I know there will be a deceleration at some point, but lets assume it is not yet at that stage) which is roughly 1gbps (for ease - i'm also writing an essay here so I'm not gonna go into exact numbers). Download spead on that will be about 100 mb/sec and the average 1080p movie comes in at what, 12-15 gigs at most? That file will be finished downloading in 120-150 seconds, about 2 and a half minutes. Enough time to put on a cup of tea, and come back and catch whatever film in all its glory. 

Even with a speed half that, at 500mbps and a 50mb/sec download speed(which doesn't sound too unlikely), the file would still be about 5 mins out.

Does it really seem so impossible?
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I think it 'll be here for a while.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

Well right now, in the near future, for companies like netflix, first they have to have the content, and they dont and wont have it day one like I said.  Also, yes, that is peak speeds we are talking about but a blu ray movies needs what, 30Mbps?  So Yes it can be possible, no question but that requires lots of people have such fast internet connections, and the move to universal broadband is still on going.  Also, the badnwidth that providers to have to have to provide that is also not there, I mean, how many times do servers get hit with too many users that downloads and streams are pretty bad?
I do believe it is possible but just not gonna happen any time soon, maybe in ten years.  Or maybe when the blu ray is on its deathbed.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lashe

Yeah, I can see that its not exactly going to come tomorrow. All I will say though is the way speeds have improved over the past 10 years has been pretty drastic. Hell, less than 10 years ago I was on 56k. I can still hear the modem trying to dial out. I just wouldn't rule Blu-Ray out of being quite a short-lived luxury -- I say luxury because I reckon DVD and DVD upscaling will put up a good enough fight for a long enough time that Blu-Ray won't be taken into mainstream viewing for a little while yet, I wouldn't bet on the discontinuation of DVDs for at least another couple of years.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By skidd

hey, good blog.
here in ireland, i dont think we'll have to worry about streaming hd videos for a while...the fact that sony have released a psn game over here on blu-ray just shows how far behind we are..

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK

i dont think it will replace DVD though - too little difference for too much price difference

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lashe
crunchUK said:
"i dont think it will replace DVD though - too little difference for too much price difference"
I'm inclined to agree.

DVD -> Digital Downloads  seems like how the mainstream progression might go, with Blu-Ray acting as a 'pit stop' for people with the money for the luxury, especially since many people still don't own HDTVs yet, never mind 1080p boxes.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
PenguinDust said:
"people like to own things, still.  To hold them in their hands.  To show them off to friends and relatives.  Ownership is a form of self expression.  "
nuff said
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lashe

A way to get round that then would be for you to have full license to modify the format of whatever you have digitally bought. You can watch that single copy of The Dark Knight you bought on your iPod, Xbox, PS3, Phone and TV set top box and show it off easily that way.

Unification is the key, I don't think it would be practical to have to buy something 4-5 different times to get it on the formats you want, and I don't see that happening forever.