• 55 results
Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was wondering if any of you guys buy Blu-Rays. I've been buying Blu-Rays of about 3-4 years now, and I have like 140 something.

Just wondering if you collect them or you don't like them or you don't give a shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering if any of you guys buy Blu-Rays. I've been buying Blu-Rays of about 3-4 years now, and I have like 140 something.

Just wondering if you collect them or you don't like them or you don't give a shit.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I like blue-rays. Hi-Def entertainment.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I've got a few, but I generally don't buy movies. I'm just never really in a situation where I want to re-watch a movie, and on the rare occasion that it comes up, I can usually find it online.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I like blu-ray more than standard def. I kind of feel like regular DVD's are old news now. I think there are some benefits to them though. With DVD's, the sound quality only goes to 5.1 Dolby Digital, and that can either be a plus or a negative, for me though, it's a plus since I don't have a 7.1, TrueHD, or DDP, I only have a home theater system that goes up to 5.1 Dolby Digital, and for games that's totally fine, but for film, like blu-ray, it's quite disappointing, unless the blu-ray supports my sound systems full features, and not all of them do, which turns me off entirely, which is kind of sad in a way.

Also, while it's not necessarily better, on some TV's, they look better than on others, so sometimes they'll look only a little worse in quality than blu-ray with a darker tinge and only a little less crisp. Overall though, I like blu-rays better, and I'll only collect collectors editions and what have you, so that's things like Alien Anthology, Avatar Extended Blu-Ray Collector's Edition, Blade Runner 5-disc complete collector's edition, Planet of the Apes: 40-Year Edition, and I'm hoping there's a Dark Knight collection soon after the Dark Knight Rises releases on blu-ray, I don't go for just any regular edition. That doesn't mean I don't have or watch regular blu-rays, 'cause I've got a bunch, but if I choose to really get films, they'll be special editions.

Also, it wasn't until about 2008 where I thought of movies as I do games, in the sense that I'm just as interested in my favorite films as I am my favorite games. I used to be just a typical viewer of film, but now for films I love, I've become a huge fan and just want to get more and more.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Yep, blu-rays are a lot cheaper than they used to be and the picture and audio quality is worth it in most cases.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By pyromagnestir

If someone asks me what I want for a gift I'll occasionally tell them a blu ray I'd like, but I don't buy movies anymore. I got Netflix.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I just recently got into the habit of collecting BRs, mostly because Best Buy and Amazon have been selling some of my favorite flicks hella cheap. I've owned like five blu-rays since I bought a PS3, but in the last few months I've bought sixteen films. I love Netflix to death, but outside of Drive, they don't have any of the films currently in my collection, films I consider absolute must-haves.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I have

Inception

Dark Knight

Watchmen

No Country For Old Men

Donnie Darko

I need nothing more

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I used to be all about Blu Rays, but then in February Netflix came to the UK, ever since then I have bought like 2 Blu Rays.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By YI_Orange

I don't typically feel a desire to buy movies like I do games. I will end up buying more movies and TV shows somewhere down the line though. I like the things I have to be a representative of my tastes rather than something I just wanted to watch. Though, I may end up buying the first season of Veronica Mars if I can't find somewhere decent to watch it...

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Sooperspy

I have 12 (14 if you count the BttF Collection as 3) and I like having them. Blu Rays are nice.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

I had quite the collection of DVDs, I'm currently going through the slow, arduous process of selling them and repurchasing them on BluRay - the best ones, anyway. I currently only have about seven or eight. Like I said, slow.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By 71Ranchero

I just have one. Waterworld. Third time I have purchased that movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I have a few but generally I just use Netflix.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

Some.

I can definitely see the picture and audio quality increase (the latter of which was quite a treat when I saw a Dream Theater Live Blu-Ray on a pretty good stereo and TV), but DVD is honestly fine with me. No, really. Blu-Ray is impressive but I have never once watched a movie on DVD and thought "man, I need to see this in Blu-Ray". I don't really want to spend the extra money when I can pinch some pennies and buy more games. Or maybe some actual necessities for once.

EDIT: Also chuck me in with the "I don't buy many movies" crowd. Once I see most movies, I won't want to watch them again in a long time; few exceptions do exist (Pulp Fiction comes to mind) but I'm fine with renting or borrowing from friends.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I own several Blu-Ray moves, mainly for just how awesome a movie in that format on a HDTV looks quality-wise compared to a standard DVD. I own The Dark Knight, Inception, DIstrict 9, and Avatar on Blu-Ray so far.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VierasTalo

I have a bunch. I rarely buy them though as I mostly just buy MoC or Criterion nowadays and Criterion BDs are region-locked so I can't play them on my PS3, hence I just get all Crits on DVD.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By korwin

I lost count of how many I have... I have been known to accidentally by duplicates when they're on sale for cheap because I've forgotten that I already have it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got 20-30 because I used to really enjoy buying HD movie a few years ago.

Then I got Blockbuster and Netflix........

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By TheHBK

While the net has gotten better with HD video content, a solid blu ray doesn't come second to anything, clear picture and sound and no sudden drops in quality. I buy em for movies I really like. All Schwarzenegger movies too.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Wemibelle

I only own movies I really like. Most of them nowadays are Blu-Ray since I have a PS3 to play them on. The vast majority of movies I don't feel the need to watch more than once.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

I never buy DVD's anymore. I only do so if I absolutely must because the thing I want hasn't been released on Blu-ray and isn't announced for Blu-ray. I stopped buying DVD's in 2006.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hamst3r

Nah, I'm over BluRays and physical media in general. I don't want any more discs.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uniform

I own around 400 movies, mostly DVD format. I believe roughly 30 are Blu. What's interesting is that my Blu collection is mostly stuff from the 70s-80s. While most get fantastic Blu treatment (Halloween, Taxi Driver, Alien/Aliens), they're not exactly the best in terms of taking advantage of what the format offers. I'd have more, but I didn't start purchasing them until I got a PS3.

kumquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kumquat

@Hamst3r said:

Nah, I'm over BluRays and physical media in general. I don't want any more discs.

Wurd.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mtcantor

Own a couple hundred DVD's, two dozen or so Blu-Rays, and now I have just stopped buying physical media entirely, except for special circumstances.

Now I tend to either watch movies/tv shows streaming or buy digital copies.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phantomzxro

Sure, i pretty much buy blu-rays if a can help it vs just a dvd but sadly i don't buy movies as often as i should. They often time fall into the category of things i want but i don't often buy for myself.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zeforgotten

I think I got over 200+ Blu-rays at this point. 
A lot of them are movies, most of them PS3 games.  

So.. yeah.. I'm a blu-ray junkie. 

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By shaggydude

I love re-watching movies so I'm down with the blu-rays. It's actually kind of weird when I think about it because I never bought many DVDs besides Star Wars and LOTR but I have over 40 blu-rays at this point. I got a basic Yamaha 5.1 setup relatively cheap, but my 1080p TV combined with reggie 5.1 gets me to the point where I feel like I'm sitting in a theater at home. When blu-rays are under $10 and they are on a shelf next to $20 DVDs it's hard to resist. I recently picked up Batman Begins in a bargain bin at Wal Mart for $8.

Sometimes I will walk out of a movie theater and instead of wanting to go see it again, I will just get hyped about owning it on blu-ray so I can watch it 10 more times in my own theater. Dark Knight, Watchmen, Avatar, Tron, Inception, and Prometheus all did this to me. When I found blu-ray.com's community section full of pictures of home theaters, I realized there's a whole next level to this shit. This guy's theater is always fun to look at.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dixego

I have a small collection of blu-rays, usually I buy memorable movies or movies with strong visual impact, otherwise I just buy them on DVD.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By zyn

@SexyToad said:

I like blue-rays. Hi-Def entertainment.
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uniform
@ShaggyDude said:
When I found blu-ray.com's community section full of pictures of home theaters, I realized there's a whole next level to this shit. This guy's theater is always fun to look at.
Good site for Blu collectors. Quick reviews and community perspective via message board gives insight into potential buys. Always nice to know PQ/AQ before making a purchase. I started visiting this site when I stumbled across it by way of google while searching out a review for Carpenter's The Thing on Blu. The community verified the flawed quality of the Blu, and shows examples of superior HD DVD release.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

I've found myself recently buying a ton of Anime seasons on Bluray. I usually dont buy many actual movies though.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By veektarius

My repeat movie-viewing has gone down a lot in the last couple years. Not sure why. As such, though I own some blurays, they aren't getting much use.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah it's about all I buy for movies now, done with DVDs. If the Blu-Ray isn't out, I tend to wait for the eventual release.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zelyre

Yup.

Buy blu-ray. Rip. Encode. Add to library so all my HTPCs have access to it. If someone wants to borrow one of my discs, they're more than free to. If they lose it, crack it, scratch it, forget about it? Whatever.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I have about 350. I enjoy collecting them, bust most of them are still in their packaging. I never have time to watch movies.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrad

Blu-ray rips are great. I consume all of my content in 1080p (or, failing that, 720p); I haven't touched an SD video file in ages. Don't think I'd ever buy actually buy blu-ray discs though.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, my only Blu-Ray playing device is my PS3 and I have Netflix. I do want to buy a Blu-Ray drive for my PC though so I can buy my favorite movies in Blu-Ray.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I've got maybe 30-40, compared to 200-300 dvds.

I like them when I feel they make a "difference".

Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner among my favourites.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@TheHBK said:

All Schwarzenegger movies too.

YES.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I mostly buy Blu Ray if it's a super hero movie (Iron Man, Thor, Batman Begins and so on) or a Pixar movie. I also have the Alien's Quadrilogy on blu-ray and randomly, Inception. But, I don't buy too many. 

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Morrow

I have like 500 DVDs and 2 or 3 Blu-Rays... I only buy them when they have an equal price as the DVD. I do appreciate the increased quality, but I just don't watch movies as much as I used to...

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dichemstys

I don't buy DVDs anymore at this point, I just buy Blu-Rays unless it's something that hasn't been released on Blu-Ray like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Movies, though, I only buy on Blu-Ray. I love them.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pessh

Got quite a few, love me some blu ray

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrockNRolla

If I buy, which is very, very infrequent, I buy blu-ray. But it seems streaming has more than taken the place of traditional media in my life.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By gaminghooligan

@watchmen877: I'm right with you man, I'm at 124 blu rays. Most of them re-buys of my favorites. I just love collecting movies in whatever the most HD format is I guess. I've bought Kingdom of Heaven and The Big Lebowski more times than I can count.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

i buy them every now and again. i only buy movies that i want. i've been buying them ever since i got a ps3.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By myniceicelife

i only buy blu-ray now assuming what i want comes on the format (anime is 50/50 on whether there's a blu-ray or not). wasn't always the case as i had a ps3 but went between blu-ray and dvd depending on the deal at the time, but once i got my Plasma TV there was actually a reason to get blu-ray of dvd.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've never bought Blu-Rays, but at this point I prefer to get my TV and films in a non-physical format.