Blue Screen of Death question.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By allprox

OK, I'm not sure if what I just experienced even was the infamous BSOD and I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me as to whether my laptop is doomed or not.
I was browsing the web when the screen flashed blue. It was only there for a few seconds (not long enough to even read what it said) and my laptop went off. I have since rebooted it and it seems to be running fine. I was left confused as I thought my laptop was fucked when it happened but everything looks alright.

Could anyone tell me if this differs from the regular BSOD scenario and/or if I should be worried about my pc pissing itself and dying in the near future?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Ok so it's a laptop?

Most likely it's overheating. Check the fan outlets and see if it's loaded with dust.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ClownDetective

I'm having the same problem with my laptop - it hasn't crashed out yet but i have a core temp program that often tells me the temperature is around 90 - 100C while the fan goes crazy. I'm gonna vacuum the vents tomorrow and see if that helps.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

what OS are you running?

As I understand it the Win Vista BSoD is actually a RSoD, so it might be something else...

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By allprox
@sodiumCyclops said:

" Ok so it's a laptop?  Most likely it's overheating. Check the fan outlets and see if it's loaded with dust. "

No it's clean and has enough space to breath.
allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By allprox

It's Windows 7 32-bit

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Laptop Make and model?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Nope, my searches indicate that Win7 does in fact feature a BSoD. So I don't know what to tell you. THere are alot of factors that could lead to something like that, and its hard to diagnose without more specifics.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By allprox
@sodiumCyclops: 
It's a Toshiba Satellite L350.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By singular

BSOD can come from faulty hard- and software. In most cases it's not serious. Driver conflict and things like that. Overheating has been mentioned and can be one of the causes. Also HDD errors.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Can someone explain to the OP how to capture the BSOD screen? That way he can be more specific about the exact error.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By allprox
@nintendoeats: i was just wondering what the norm was for a BSOD. I thought once it happened that was it and your computer was screwed. But mine is still going. The error report that appeared when I rebooted said it was a blue screen so I'm thinking my laptop is just waiting to croak.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a full format and reinstall of Windows.

Back everything up and give it a shot.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nintendoeats
@Allprox: BSoD is a symptom, not a disease. It might be a symptom of a bizarre one time occurence, or it might mean that your graphics card just melted. If you haven't seen it again, I'm guessing it was a freak conflict.
allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By allprox
@sodiumCyclops: That sounds a bit drastic.

@nintendoeats:
I guess I can only wait and see, thanks.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Allprox said:
" @sodiumCyclops: That sounds a bit drastic.

@nintendoeats: I guess I can only wait and see, thanks. "
Yeah your probably right about a format/reinstall. Just do a bunch of tests like transferring some large files around the place and playing some games or something.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That happened to me, I tested each ram seperately, one of them crashed non stop and I replaced it. No more blue screen of death anymore. Of course that might not work for you, still it's something to think about.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Brians
@Allprox  I have a laptop, have had several problems and   speaking as someone whose warranty let his entire computer hardware be switched
one blue screen, your typically fine
repeated blue screens write down everything on the screen and Google it to find out why your computer is doing it. But is you computer fucked from one blue screen? not really.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Allprox said:
" @sodiumCyclops: That sounds a bit drastic.

@nintendoeats: I guess I can only wait and see, thanks. "
It is drastic.  Hi,  did you know that Windows 7 has a fantastic system & error tracking tool built in?  Well, if not then do the following:-

START -> Control Panel -> Enter "reliability" in the search box of the Control Panel -> Click "View Reliabilty History" under the Action Center flag

When your Reliability Monitor windows opens you'll see your laptop's system reliability mapped in the form of a weekly graph.  Dates along the bottom denote each day with a calendar date for reference and are clickable as columns.  When you do click a dated column you'll get a detailed explanation of any critical events, system warnings and informational events which have occurred on the date you've selected.

• Red X are critical events and this is usually system and/or program errors.  
  • Yellow "!" are warning which usually means application messages when a program failed to do something (most likely due to lack of system resources/CPU power) but did not crash.   
  • Blue "!" are informational events when an application has been updated such as your antivirus app.

Using this information you can select the day you had your last BSoD and see what the actual error was.  You'll also probably notice the three blue links at the bottom of the Reliability Monitor window.  You may want to press the "Check for solutions to all problems..." first before doing anything else because there may have been a specific hotfix* released for your problem and this is a simple way to find such an exacting solution.

* Hotfix : This is when a specific application is system component of Windows is modified to prevent certain error conditions from occurring and is usually only applicable to certain specific kinds of machines due to their design.  Hotfixes are often released for laptops and other portable computing devices due the specific design differences they have with regards to power consumption.  Hotfixes have also been released for graphics card drivers and off the shelf desktop systems.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93
@sodiumCyclops said:
" Ok so it's a laptop?  Most likely it's overheating. Check the fan outlets and see if it's loaded with dust. "
Yes, mine does this all the time. 
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lawrens

Can someone explain to the OP how to capture the BSOD screen? That way he can be more specific about the exact error.

In system properties > Advanced > Startup and recovery settings > disable automatically restart

By doing that it should pause at the blue screen next time it happens, sometimes it tells you which dll is causing the blue screen and you can narrow down it to hardware or drivers that's causing it.