#1 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -

Whenever I go travelling, I make it a point to hit the best bookshops in town. It would be great to see the best places where you guys live!

I'll start with my favourite: the Voltaire & Rousseau Bookshop in Glasgow, Scotland. When you walk into the shop, which is situated in a well-hidden lane, there's an entire room full of books for £1 ($1.55 USD), which can threaten to consume you in deal-finding bliss... until you step into the main shop. Which... well, I think these pictures speak for themselves:

The books are stacked high like this, largely disorganised except by loose genre, and the stacks often fall as people hunt for the best deal. All the books are cheap or competitively priced as well. The owners don't even own an electronic till, they just mark down sales in a large notebook. But the real clincher, especially for a cat lover like me, is this:

BOOK SHOP KITTY!

Show off your favourites, Bombers! 

#2 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -
#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Books...like paper? WHAT?!

#4 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

We have a Waterstones, and that's pretty good. WHSmith is shitty in my town, it's just a wall of bestsellers that I don't care about.

#5 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

Probably should have guessed a thread like this wouldn't fly on Giant Bomb...

#6 Edited by AlexW00d (6191 posts) -

I love books, but a disorganised, cluttered mess like that looks fucking hellish. ALPHABETICAL ORDER AT THE VERY LEAST YOU GODDAMN CRETIN.

#7 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Yeah. I'm going to stick with the Internet for this one.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

The only bookstore in my city is Barnes and Noble, which means it's a given that the book you're looking for either isn't there, or it's in shitty condition when you find it. I hate frayed edges on my slip covers. That means I just order from Amazon because if I report a frayed edge they send me another one all nice and bubble wrapped. It's magnificent. I love you, Amazon.com.

#9 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

amazon. havent found a decent bookshop yet.

#10 Posted by Blackout62 (1331 posts) -

I can't Borders closed.

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I havent read a book in years. Decided to get Hunger Games to give it a shot, liking it so far. Got it off the internet

#12 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

The only book store we have here is Waterstones unfortunately, they are ok but they never have the books I'm looking for.

The one in OP's post looks cool though, can't say I want the unlucky sod's job of sorting that but seems like a fun place to go as a customer.

#13 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

There's a lot of nice bookstores in Brooklyn & Manhattan (and the rare book floor at Strand is basically my real world equivalent of Steam. Poor wallet.), but my favorite is still back at home in Texas. Ladies & gentlemen, Bill's Books:

(photos not by me)

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yeah I order online, sadly don't got any nice bookstores nearby.

#15 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said:

There's a lot of nice bookstores in Brooklyn & Manhattan (and the rare book floor at Strand is basically my real world equivalent of Steam. Poor wallet.), but my favorite is still back at home in Texas. Ladies & gentlemen, Bill's Books:

(photos not by me)

That looks wonderful. I love when you can tell a shop has been open a LONG time. Looks like there's a lot of history to this place.
#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

All of the bookstores near me suck, so I just buy books online.

#17 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

My book is my bookstore. Paradox. Actually it's just a Kindle.

#18 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

@Sploder said:

We have a Waterstones, and that's pretty good. WHSmith is shitty in my town, it's just a wall of bestsellers that I don't care about.

To be fair, WHSmith is pretty shitty everywhere.

#19 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I've got Barnes & Noble. Does that make me lame?

#20 Posted by konig_kei (597 posts) -

Bookdepository.com

#21 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I don't have any pictures, but Powell's in Portland, OR is essentially a warehouse-turned-bookstore. You can spend hours in there in a single room.

#22 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (530 posts) -

I order online. The closest bookstore to me is 3-4 hours away.

#23 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

My local joint is called Mysterious Galaxy. They specialize in sci-fi and fantasy and ALWAYS have authors coming in to speak and do book signings.