#1 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Hey there Duders, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately to get me by when doing the dishes and the usual house-hold chores, and wanted to broaden my horizons a bit. I have a subscription over at Audible that has been stagnant for around 4-5 months, building up credits, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a book that focuses on gaming, or maybe a game book. I see a lot of duders lately reading some intellectual pieces and wouldn't mind diving into a couple of those.

Thanks for help!

#2 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

I recently read the first Witcher book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not 100% sure that it has an audio version. I also liked the first Halo books.

#3 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

How about a game... of... thrones?

#4 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

If you have't read it yet, and you're interested in video games and general geek culture (and since you're posting on Giant Bomb, I'd assume you are), you absolutely have to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

#5 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (113 posts) -

Books what are these books you speak of?

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

If you have't read it yet, and you're interested in video games and geek culture (and since you're posting on Giant Bomb, I'd assume you are), you absolutely have to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

The audio book for this is pretty good. If you're looking for fiction with a gaming aspect to it it's a good choice.

Neal Stephenson has some good books. Snow Crash has a gaming element.

Iain M Banks The Player of Games is not video game related, per se, the game in question is sorta video game crossed with board game, but it is a really good story.

#7 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

If you have't read it yet, and you're interested in video games and general geek culture (and since you're posting on Giant Bomb, I'd assume you are), you absolutely have to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

100% agree on this one!

#8 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Thanks for all the recommendations, I pretty much bought each book mentioned in your posts. Some I had to get in print, and others in audio form.

#9 Posted by CitizenKano (25 posts) -

I would recommend The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.

#10 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -