Books!

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aas

I've started reading alot lately. I've got a stack next to my bed now that, where it to fall over, it would kill me. So I was wondering if you guys had any books to recommend. I made this list of books I'm planning to get off Play.com. Feel free to comment on the ones you've read.

Sniper One - Dan Mills

I read "Generation Kill" and liked it. This seems similiar, only less crazy.

"Public Enemies" - Bryan Burrough

1920's gangsters/bank robbers. Nuff said!

Darth Bane - Path of Destruction - Drew Karpyshyn

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but I really liked the Mass Effect books which were written by the same author.

The Crusades - Terry Jones ; Alan Ereira

I just finished The Barbarians by the same guys, this seems like more of that.

World War Z - Max Brooks

I've heard good things and I liked The Zombie Survival Guide which was written by the same guy.

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne - David Gaider

The universe seems interesting and I liked the books Bioware did for Mass Effect.

Thank you in advance, Aas.
Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Here's a few of my favourites.

Sci-fi:
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut (well, sort of sci-fi)
Foundation, Isaac Asimov 
Short Stories, Philip K. Dick
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, vol. 2 (a collection of short stories by various sci-fi authors)

Non sci-fi:
Guns, Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond (non fiction, historical) 
Fifth Business, Robertson Davies 
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandres Dumas (long but totally worth it)
Any short stories by Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Chekhov. There are quite a few collections out there.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Toxin066

Fiction

A Song of Ice and Fire: (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings,A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows)  by George RR Martin.  Probably my favorite books ever written.

I'd also recommend Fight Club, Choke, and Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Flyboys and Flags Of Our Fathers are fantastic books.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60

The I Am Legend book made me want to destroy the movie for ruining the book.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mikevanpwn

I've been reading John Adams by David McCullough.   

I just bought Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes last night, I have about 20 other books to read before it though. 

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Crono
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
It is an amazingly well written book if you like fantasy fiction.  Hell even if you don't, you will.

Velocity by Dean Koontz
Almost anything by Dean Koontz can be considered a must-read in my mind but this particular title kept me so interested and involved that I read it in a single sitting, a feat that I can't claim for anything other than The Great Gatsby, and that was only because I had a test on it the following day.

Also, Mikevanpwn, I haven't read John Adams by McCullough yet, but I can vouch for 1776 which really makes you feel like you're there.  It is mostly focused on military history of 1776, but I like that.  Very well written and I have no doubts that the same could be said about his John Adams.

Anyway, I could list many many many more books but those are the ones that are popping out at me.  I used to work in a bookstore and they'd let us use the store like a library.  It was pretty awesome and I took full advantage.

Ohh one last book.  If you got a sense of humor, then check out Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander.  He has a blog as well which you can find all of the book's content on, but I love having the book on my shelf, it is a hilarious conversation piece and makes an excellent gift for friends.  It is very sarcastic so if you're the kind of person that is easily offended and take everything serious, then don't get this book (or any book from the humor section) or you may regret it.  Everyone else, you'll love this book.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

I have so many books that I need to finish.  It's not exactly I didn't have any free time this summer(I had nothing BUT free time). 

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DerekDanahy

Johnny Got His Gun, Dragons of Eden, The Great Gatsby, God is not Great, Lord of the Rings, Crime and Punishment, In Cold Blood and The Picture of Dorian Gray are a few good ones.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By LeetBalla
@mikevanpwn:
That book is really great, a good biography of one of our founding fathers.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By karneh

What are books?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Toxin066
@Karn said:
" What are books? "
They are these things women have on their chests.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By flaminghobo
@CL60 said:
" The I Am Legend book made me want to destroy the movie for ruining the book. "
I'm right with you there man, I watched the movie before I read the book and I can safely say that the book was far superiour.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
@FlamingHobo said:
" @CL60 said:
" The I Am Legend book made me want to destroy the movie for ruining the book. "
I'm right with you there man, I watched the movie before I read the book and I can safely say that the book was far superiour. "
Yeah, I watched the movie first and was like..hey, this movie is pretty good. So I went out and bought the book and after finishing it I felt that the movie was terrible...just absolutely terrible in comparison.
Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deathdealer108
@CL60 said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @CL60 said:
I'm right with you there man, I watched the movie before I read the book and I can safely say that the book was far superiour. "
Yeah, I watched the movie first and was like..hey, this movie is pretty good. So I went out and bought the book and after finishing it I felt that the movie was terrible...just absolutely terrible in comparison. "

I read the book first waiting for the movie to be released and was very disappointed. The movie captured the feel of the city well but it couldn't capture the loneliness and depression Neville faced being a lone survivor. If you enjoy Matheson's work I really would  recommend some of his other stories especially this collection:  

http://www.amazon.com/Button-Uncanny-Stories-Richard-Matheson/dp/0765312573
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
@Deathdealer108 said:
" @CL60 said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @CL60 said:
Yeah, I watched the movie first and was like..hey, this movie is pretty good. So I went out and bought the book and after finishing it I felt that the movie was terrible...just absolutely terrible in comparison. "

I read the book first waiting for the movie to be released and was very disappointed. The movie captured the feel of the city well but it couldn't capture the loneliness and depression Neville faced being a lone survivor. If you enjoy Matheson's work I really would  recommend some of his other stories especially this collection:  

http://www.amazon.com/Button-Uncanny-Stories-Richard-Matheson/dp/0765312573 "
Yeah, and the movie completely missed the entire point of the books name judging by the last paragraph in the book.
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By mikevanpwn
@Crono:  @LeetBalla:  
 Yes I'm enjoying it a lot.  I plan to read McCullough's 1776 and Truman at some point.  If only I had more time!  

Also, Stuff White People Like is an amazing blog.  I never picked up the book, but enjoyed reading the site. 

Oh and I also forgot to mention that I recently finished The Passing of the Armies by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain.  Chamberlain was a Brigadier General in the Civil war and wrote a memoir of his experience in the closing days of the war.  Its heavy on military rhetoric and some may get lost in the details if they haven't read much on the Civil War, but it also has some profound passages about the experience of war; its one of the most candid memoirs I've read.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
@Lydian_Sel said:
Also Sean Williams is a fantastic sci-fi/fantasy writer. "
Indeed. He wrote the story for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and I've gotta say..it's got a pretty good story. It's pretty much the only reason I like The Force Unleashed.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

If you haven't already seen the film (since they are essentially identical), you would probably like No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Actually just read everything by McCarthy, he's a genius.

Right now I don't really have a book next in my queue. I just finished Atlas Shrugged about a week and a half ago and I can still see the pages in my nightmares. It's basically drained my of my will to read so I guess I'll just wait till my school assigns me something to read to get back into the groove. Although I do have some works of Friedrich Nietzsche that I could go through first...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
@Lydian_Sel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Lydian_Sel said:
Also Sean Williams is a fantastic sci-fi/fantasy writer. "
Indeed. He wrote the story for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and I've gotta say..it's got a pretty good story. It's pretty much the only reason I like The Force Unleashed. "
Hot Damn!     It's always good to see Australian Authors getting their due's on the world stage. I may have to actually finish that game now... "
Well technically, he didn't write it, he just put it into a novel. He did a fantastic job at that, and it's still a great story regardless. As I said it's the only reason I played the game really, if you don't want to play through the game I Suggest reading the book by Sean Williams, it is literally exactly like the game, the dialogue and everything is literally 100% the exact same.
ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImHungryx10

Slaughterhouse Five
Breakfast of Champions
Cat's Cradle

hell I'll just recommend Kurt Vonnegut.