#101 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

1776.  Wanted to read something historical and have been very interested in early US history as of late.  Very insightful and entertaining so far.

#102 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

#103 Posted by LeoMinor (261 posts) -

I bought 'The Great Gatsby' last year and read the first chapter.  I really want to go back and finish it, but I don't have the motivation.  I want to finish alot of stuff this summer.

#104 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -

I don't read books. Don't really see the point. I already know plenty of stuff.

#105 Posted by francesthemule (155 posts) -

Currently rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Probably one of  the best novels I've ever read.

#106 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

#107 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@francesthemule said:
"

Currently rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Probably one of  the best novels I've ever read.

"
Amazing book.  Worth reading multiple times too.  The first time through I didn't appreciate it as much as I did the second time I read it.  Some lines and parts of the book are just so profoundly written and in such a unique style, it's amazing.  Some of those lines that just go on and on, I can still remember them.  My copy of Blood Meridian is filled with bookmarks where I saved all my favorite parts.
#108 Posted by Asurastrike (2157 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
" So what books are you currently reading?I have nearly finished The Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, it's part of 'His Dark Materials' series and I also have the two fellow books in the series to read. I believe it's called Golden Compass in the US. I know a film was made on it, but never seen it. It's been a good book so far, can feel quite childish in areas but also as a much darker side to it. After that I'll get around to reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. "
At first you confused me by calling it "The Northern Lights" lol. I read all 3 of the books in His Dark Materials years ago, awesome series.
#109 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -

The Fellowship Of The Ring -- J. R. R. Tolkien
The Screwtape Letters -- C. S. Lewis

#110 Edited by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

I have been reading through the Harry Potter series this last week and a half. I just started the 4th one and am really impressed so far and am really enjoying them.

@N3onThr33 said:
" The Fellowship Of The Ring -- J. R. R. TolkienThe Screwtape Letters -- C. S. Lewis "
How are you enjoying The Screwtape Letters? Interesting read isn't it?
#111 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

WHAT UP, THREAD?

I'm currently reading "House of Leaves" because I'm tired of all my hip friends telling me it's the best book ever. It's a hell of a book to break into, but it's good so far.

#112 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

I'm reading all the Mass Effect novels right now. 

#113 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

deleted

#114 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Currently reading the Stone of Tears novel (The 2nd book of the Sword of Truth series by Terry GoodKind)
Manga-wise, I am reading the 7th Volume of the Fate/Stay Night manga

#115 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -

Right now I'm going through Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.  I've already got Medium Raw queued up on the Kindle.

#116 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Unlimited Power : The New Science Of Personal Achievement by Anthony Robbins

#117 Posted by mordukai (7126 posts) -
@buckybit said:
" @Mordukai said:
"
Currently reading these books.

Blade Runner - Philip K. Dick
"
DUDER, you should return this 'book' to where ever you have bought or stolen it from?! PKD never wrote a thing called 'Blade Runner'. Dream on, of electric sheep ;-P "

That's why I wrote the wrong title. After my post I discovered that the true title is the smaller one. Also, people need to stop calling each other DUDERs Just because Vinny like to do it doesn't mean everyone here needs to do it to. Rather annoying. 
#118 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

#119 Posted by DrBeardface (242 posts) -

That dude needs a comb... 

Anyway, I'm currently on 'A Feast for Crows' by George R.R. Martin, the fourth book in his 'Song of Fire and Ice / A Game of Thrones' series.  Medieval fantasy for adults, and it is SO SO GOOOD.  I'm very much looking forward to the 'Game of Thrones' series HBO will be airing in a few months.

#120 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Currently making my way through The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. LOVING the fact that most of these books are legitimate literature and not random sci-fi.

#121 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

1984, it's one the best books I've ever read so far.

#122 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

#123 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Any one else find it fascinating how many people are reading some part of The Lord of the Rings (The Hobbit included?) Neil Gaiman also seems to be a winner in this thread.

#124 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (228 posts) -
@Skytylz: I am in the middle of that one as well. 
#125 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

Fountainhead - Rand 
The Shining - King
Alexander Pope  
Failed States - Chomsky 

Mainly reading fountainhead but the others are there for variety 

#126 Edited by cnlmullen (900 posts) -
The Art of Start by Guy Kawasaki.  Getting ready to start a business.
#127 Posted by DrBeardface (242 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:
" I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. "
Ooo, I started that one a few years back and got sidetracked by several things and had to set it aside.  Is it worth picking up where I left off and finishing?
#128 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

I literally just finished Moneyball by Michael Lewis (I think he is the author).

#129 Posted by Turambar (6640 posts) -

I haven't read a book in so long...

The last one I read for recreation was a good year and a half ago, and it was either Strategies of Containment by John Lewis Gaddis or Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

#130 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" Also, people need to stop calling each other DUDERs Just because Vinny like to do it doesn't mean everyone here needs to do it to. Rather annoying.  "
I've been hearing people call people duder for a while, even before Giant Bomb.
#131 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

I'm beginning the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Really great pulpy fun so far.  The only annoying thing is the vast amount of Swedish names making things hard to pronounce in my head.  To be expected when the book was written in that language originally, but I am still enjoying immensely.

#132 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
" Currently making my way through The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. LOVING the fact that most of these books are legitimate literature and not random sci-fi. "
Very nice, one of my favorite books. But ill have to dissapoint you because i am reading random sci fi right now. 

Metagame by Sam Landstrom, I got it because it was very cheap on kindle and had great reviews. It really does not disappointed, he creates such an interesting world that is actually becoming a reality, if not fully, partially, in the future. 
#133 Posted by evilhomer (429 posts) -

the Mark Twain autobiography.  Just got it for christmas so havent gotten very far into it yet

#134 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:
"
"
This ^

And this aswell:
#135 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
@SSully: Hope I didn't imply there was a problem with random sci-fi. It's really nice to kick back and just read something for fun every once in a while, and the writing can be extremely skillful even if the story and "artistic merit" aren't amazing. I just thought it was super cool that the first six pages of this thread mostly read like a "books people should read before they die" kind of list (with a few exceptions, but w/e).
#136 Posted by Kazona (3058 posts) -

I am attempting to read through Revalation Space by Alastair Reynolds, but the guy uses so many words I've never even heard of that I spend almost as much time looking stuff up as I do reading the book. I blame the fact that English isn't my primary language, but man, do I feel stupid when I read that book. I intend on finishing it, though, because I think it would be a small, personal, accomplishment.

#137 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3181 posts) -

I was reading Pride and Prejudice since that's a requirement in my English class... But god damn, 19th century literature is fucking hard to read.

#138 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

Oh god, I'm not even going to read this thread but please fix the title.  I'd be fine with it if this weren't a thread for supposedly literate people.

#139 Posted by Mcfart (1537 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
" So what books are you currently reading?I have nearly finished The Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, it's part of 'His Dark Materials' series and I also have the two fellow books in the series to read. I believe it's called Golden Compass in the US. I know a film was made on it, but never seen it. It's been a good book so far, can feel quite childish in areas but also as a much darker side to it. After that I'll get around to reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. "
"you're"
#140 Posted by DerekDanahy (863 posts) -

I'm currently reading On The Origin of Species hoping to finish it before school starts up again.

#141 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@DrBeardface said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
" I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. "
Ooo, I started that one a few years back and got sidetracked by several things and had to set it aside.  Is it worth picking up where I left off and finishing? "
I think so, I'm enjoying it a lot.
#142 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Books written by authors who know the difference between you're and your. I see we have different tastes, OP.

#143 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

Christmas Journey by Anne Perry^^

#144 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

I'm currently reading Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations by Ayaan Hirsi Ali which is phenomenal so far. I highly, highly recommend it. 

#145 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince "Second read through the series"
#146 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

Full dark, No stars by Stephan King 

@Hizang said:

" Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince "Second read through the series" "
Nice, been thinking about reading those again too.
#147 Posted by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

After all this time, since this thread was posted months ago, I feel kinda illiterate. Missing out on books, and just simply not caring. I can't read for leisure.

#148 Posted by Monte (229 posts) -

#149 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

Swords and Dark Magic, which is a compilation of fantasy short stories written during the last few years. It's nice to find out who the up and coming writers are.

Azincourt is a great read.

#150 Posted by JaredA (818 posts) -

The Godfather by Mario Puzo