#1 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

I've recently gotten obsessed with watching streams of various online games (SC2, Day Z, Dota 2) and am looking for an option to view it on my TV. I mainly will view sites like twitch.tv, own3D.tv, etc. So my question to you duders is, what do you use and what are the pros and cons between the boxee and roku box? The boxee is more than double the price of the Roku HD, so any and all input on what you consider to be superior would be appreciated.

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Well since no one answered your question I did some research because I do not have one. It's seems that the roku is smaller, soundless, and user friendly but does not include a browser. The boxee does have a browser but its flash player is outdated and therefore can't play videos from some sites such as comedy central. Read more here http://deviceguru.com/google-tv-vs-apple-tv-vs-boxee-vs-roku/

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4826 posts) -

What Toad said is pretty much right from what I can tell

If you can support dual monitors though, I'd just run a connection from your pc to your TV.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Actually that seems like a better idea, so basically upgrade your computer graphic card so it can support hd. Have the cord lead to your picture viewing device. Then have an extra wireless keyboard and mouse. And bam all good! It's may no be as convent but it works, also you don't have to upgrade your graphic card unless you already have or you don't want hd. Also BabyChooChoo it's SexyToad.

#5 Posted by Lotan (219 posts) -

@SexyToad:

If you're going to go the whole computer route, using PLEX is a must. Info can be found at plexapp.com and it is the absolute best way to get media to a TV, or phone, or tablet for that matter. I use it in the server\client setup and run media to all of my TVs, and devices. It's how I watch GB most times as well. It is very easy to setup with most of it being automated. Once you have the media server up and running all of your devices just find it and play the content. That content can even stream from your house to your device through WiFi or 3G/4G.

Oh...and if you are just using the computer app its FREE. The apps for various devices cost 5 dollars, but comes with the added benefit of using the device as a remote control.

My iPhone is the remote for my TV.

#6 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Actually that seems like a better idea, so basically upgrade your computer graphic card so it can support hd. Have the cord lead to your picture viewing device. Then have an extra wireless keyboard and mouse. And bam all good! It's may no be as convent but it works, also you don't have to upgrade your graphic card unless you already have or you don't want hd. Also BabyChooChoo it's SexyToad.

Unfortunately, i only have a laptop so I'm afraid upgrading the GPU is out of the question. Most of the sites i view streams on serve as an aggregate for twitch.tv streams (i.e. JoinDota). I'm afraid since the Roku HD doesn't have a web browser, it would be cumbersome typing in all of the personal pro streams i enjoy watching off the twitch.tv channel (which i also searched the Roku 2 channel list and didn't see a twitch tv one).

#7 Posted by kindone (2838 posts) -

Roku, bar none. Boxxee didn't feel right and especially on the computer felt like a broken mess.

#8 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

Roku, bar none. Boxxee didn't feel right and especially on the computer felt like a broken mess.

Would you happen to have any experience viewing twitch.tv on the Roku? I checked the channel list and didn't see a twitch channel

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

I am pretty sure GPUs have been able to support 'HD' for a fucking long time guys...

#10 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

PC/GPU - HDMI cable - TV. Pretty much.

#11 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

Streaming from my laptop isn't really what i was looking to do. I would like to have a dedicated device so i can watch streams while playing etc.

#12 Edited by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

Just get a 1080p 24" secondary monitor on your desk. :-d That's what I do.

@The_Drizzle: Why exactly do you need to watch streams while also playing a game? It sounds like you need to focus a little. Haha. The modern fascination with multitasking is just deluding everyone.

#13 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

Just get a 1080p 24" secondary monitor on your desk. :-d That's what I do.

@The_Drizzle: Why exactly do you need to watch streams while also playing a game? It sounds like you need to focus a little. Haha. The modern fascination with multitasking is just deluding everyone.

Sometimes there are matches (epic group matches, finals, etc.) that i want to watch while playing and alt-tabbing while in queue or loading a match can sometimes become irritating. So having the ability to watch a match on 40+ inch 1080p television is more enticing then purchasing a new monitor.

#14 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

@wewantsthering said:

Just get a 1080p 24" secondary monitor on your desk. :-d That's what I do.

@The_Drizzle: Why exactly do you need to watch streams while also playing a game? It sounds like you need to focus a little. Haha. The modern fascination with multitasking is just deluding everyone.

Sometimes there are matches (epic group matches, finals, etc.) that i want to watch while playing and alt-tabbing while in queue or loading a match can sometimes become irritating. So having the ability to watch a match on 40+ inch 1080p television is more enticing then purchasing a new monitor.

The pixel density on a 24" 1080p monitor is just so much better. I don't think there is any set-top box that will support the streams you're looking for so you will have to hook up a second display somehow and hooking computes up to TVs isn't ideal unless it's a dedicated PC box by the TV, which are normally loud.

#15 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@The_Drizzle said:

@wewantsthering said:

Just get a 1080p 24" secondary monitor on your desk. :-d That's what I do.

@The_Drizzle: Why exactly do you need to watch streams while also playing a game? It sounds like you need to focus a little. Haha. The modern fascination with multitasking is just deluding everyone.

Sometimes there are matches (epic group matches, finals, etc.) that i want to watch while playing and alt-tabbing while in queue or loading a match can sometimes become irritating. So having the ability to watch a match on 40+ inch 1080p television is more enticing then purchasing a new monitor.

The pixel density on a 24" 1080p monitor is just so much better. I don't think there is any set-top box that will support the streams you're looking for so you will have to hook up a second display somehow and hooking computes up to TVs isn't ideal unless it's a dedicated PC box by the TV, which are normally loud.

I already own a TV, and purchasing a 2nd monitor just to view streams isn't something justifiable to me. I'm almost 100% the boxee can stream twitch.tv & own3D tv and can access the site that works as an aggregate of all the streams within the web browser. I made this thread out of curiosity to see if anyone had first hand use with the Roku 2 or Boxee. However, with the boxee being more then double the Roku price, I wanted to get some input before i took the plunge.

#16 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

I have a Boxee box and it can be great at times and junk shit at times. If the Roku has an RSS aggregate than it would probably be better to just use that. You put the link to the site in once and it just updates for you. Though I don't know if it'd work on Roku.

The best thing about Boxee is that it'll play almost everything you can throw at it. I have used the SC2 app on it and it's pretty good and easy to use. Same for the Giant Bomb one. Though the Netflix app is pretty lacking. Browsing the web is too much of a pain to use really. Though if you can get a site you need to run and that is the only way, then good on you.

Edit: you have to use the browser for twitch.tv, but I do know the last time I tried, I was able to watch the TNT streams. So that works.

#17 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@Jams said:

I have a Boxee box and it can be great at times and junk shit at times. If the Roku has an RSS aggregate than it would probably be better to just use that. You put the link to the site in once and it just updates for you. Though I don't know if it'd work on Roku.

The best thing about Boxee is that it'll play almost everything you can throw at it. I have used the SC2 app on it and it's pretty good and easy to use. Same for the Giant Bomb one. Though the Netflix app is pretty lacking. Browsing the web is too much of a pain to use really. Though if you can get a site you need to run and that is the only way, then good on you.

Edit: you have to use the browser for twitch.tv, but I do know the last time I tried, I was able to watch the TNT streams. So that works.

So the fact that the flash player isn't current (from what i read above) won't affect watching streams that use adobe?

#18 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

@Jams said:

I have a Boxee box and it can be great at times and junk shit at times. If the Roku has an RSS aggregate than it would probably be better to just use that. You put the link to the site in once and it just updates for you. Though I don't know if it'd work on Roku.

The best thing about Boxee is that it'll play almost everything you can throw at it. I have used the SC2 app on it and it's pretty good and easy to use. Same for the Giant Bomb one. Though the Netflix app is pretty lacking. Browsing the web is too much of a pain to use really. Though if you can get a site you need to run and that is the only way, then good on you.

Edit: you have to use the browser for twitch.tv, but I do know the last time I tried, I was able to watch the TNT streams. So that works.

So the fact that the flash player isn't current (from what i read above) won't affect watching streams that use adobe?

No idea. I haven't used mine since the last update (maybe a month or so?). I don't remember any problems like that. It might be because everything I watch is a video file pulled from an RSS feed. But I did have some freezing problem where i had to shut the box down completely. They still do seem to support the box with updates. Here's a quote I found on their site.

This was posted on February 7th from Marcel and Yuvalt. Looks like we need to ride this one out until everyone switches to HTML 5.
Originally Posted by marcel
Just keeping you posted on the flash ...
Unfortunately due to the technical differences between Flash on a computer and Flash on a set top box, currently we do not have a quick way to upgrade Flash. Adobe does not support Flash 10.3 (the latest version) on connected devices like the Boxee Box. We are waiting to get a version and commence work - no timeline for that yet.
As soon as we have one, I will make it known.
Thanks for your patience.
Originally Posted by yuvalt
Boxee does not develop Flash. Intel is the licensee (and actually working with other 3rd party on porting Flash to their platforms and certifying it). The only thing we are doing is push Intel for updates and bug fixes. At this point, due to the situation with Adobe Flash for TV, there is no clear roadmap for updating to a newer version. This is why you see this "no comment". We don't have good news and we don't have bad news. I would love to have newer version of Flash as much as you guys would, but it is completely out of our hands. If there is any update we will let you know. At this point it's clear that Flash for video is dying and that Internet videos will be based on HTML 5 (either standard or other, more secure means where DRM is required). We are in a transition period, that's why it's so frustrating.
#19 Edited by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@Jams said:

@The_Drizzle said:

@Jams said:

I have a Boxee box and it can be great at times and junk shit at times. If the Roku has an RSS aggregate than it would probably be better to just use that. You put the link to the site in once and it just updates for you. Though I don't know if it'd work on Roku.

The best thing about Boxee is that it'll play almost everything you can throw at it. I have used the SC2 app on it and it's pretty good and easy to use. Same for the Giant Bomb one. Though the Netflix app is pretty lacking. Browsing the web is too much of a pain to use really. Though if you can get a site you need to run and that is the only way, then good on you.

Edit: you have to use the browser for twitch.tv, but I do know the last time I tried, I was able to watch the TNT streams. So that works.

So the fact that the flash player isn't current (from what i read above) won't affect watching streams that use adobe?

No idea. I haven't used mine since the last update (maybe a month or so?). I don't remember any problems like that. It might be because everything I watch is a video file pulled from an RSS feed. But I did have some freezing problem where i had to shut the box down completely. They still do seem to support the box with updates. Here's a quote I found on their site.

This was posted on February 7th from Marcel and Yuvalt. Looks like we need to ride this one out until everyone switches to HTML 5.
Originally Posted by marcel
Just keeping you posted on the flash ...
Unfortunately due to the technical differences between Flash on a computer and Flash on a set top box, currently we do not have a quick way to upgrade Flash. Adobe does not support Flash 10.3 (the latest version) on connected devices like the Boxee Box. We are waiting to get a version and commence work - no timeline for that yet.
As soon as we have one, I will make it known.
Thanks for your patience.
Originally Posted by yuvalt
Boxee does not develop Flash. Intel is the licensee (and actually working with other 3rd party on porting Flash to their platforms and certifying it). The only thing we are doing is push Intel for updates and bug fixes. At this point, due to the situation with Adobe Flash for TV, there is no clear roadmap for updating to a newer version. This is why you see this "no comment". We don't have good news and we don't have bad news. I would love to have newer version of Flash as much as you guys would, but it is completely out of our hands. If there is any update we will let you know. At this point it's clear that Flash for video is dying and that Internet videos will be based on HTML 5 (either standard or other, more secure means where DRM is required). We are in a transition period, that's why it's so frustrating.

Ah ok thank you for the reply. I've tried multiple searches of both boxee and roku to see if they support twitch tv to no avail. So any and all opinions/suggestions are appreciated

EDIT: Also one quick question, and excuse my ignorance on this topic, but are Justin.TV and Twitch.TV owned and operated by the same parent company? When i search for "does the boxee/roku support twitch tv" it brings links that have the justin.tv mentions in them.

#20 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -
#21 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but the yet to be released Ouya box plays Twitch TV, Minecraft, and other games for $99. Not sure when it's coming out, but it sounds like it might be exactly what you want. http://www.giantbomb.com/news/kickstarter-console-project-meets-950k-goal-in-eight-hours/4261/

I heard a lot of the hype about it today strictly predicated about the gaming aspect, but i had no clue they actually mentioned streaming twitch tv. Thanks for the heads up i will definitely keep my eye on this