• 63 results
#1 Edited by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

What up duders and dudettes.

Man do I get annoyed sometimes when I come to Giant Bomb, and today is one such time. There's a fantastic quick look up for Starcraft, and they're playing it on Professional Wednesdays (or whatever that ends up being called), and basically it all seems fine and dandy.

Then along come what I like to call the motherfuckers. The people who complain about every single word and every single action that Brad takes. I mean come on, grow up. Brad is a good Starcraft player, he's earned the right to talk some smack. He was diamond at some point. No matter what elitist pricks say, that's pretty good.

I read all kinds of comments on the QL complaining how bad he is at Starcraft. To you (the motherfuckers), I'd like to see anyone of you armchair pro's playing Starcraft while being on camera, talking about Starcraft, and learning two Starcraft illiterates (Ryan and Vinny) about the game. And I'd like to see you do that while also being a fucking awesome guy.

How can anyone possibly care if someone doesn't notice a checkpoint or does something stupid while playing? How can anyone get annoyed by that? Right?

Well, someone obviously gets upset for some crazy reason. When I think of you guys, I just think of Jeff's comment on his Halo Reach review.

"Is it wrong when I think of those guys, I think of a young Fred Durst wearing a Xbox Live headset?"

Seriously, if it bothers you that much, then maybe reconsider what the hell your life is about. And if it still bothers you, then why do you even come to Giant Bomb? The crew give a collective fuck you to people like you guys. And I'll join them in that, and I hope others will to.

Thank you internet, and thank you Giant Bomb, for making this vent possible. And to all you who feel targeted by anything I've said, I would just like to say...

Fuck you.

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8979 posts) -

I'm not one to bitch about it in the comments but I do find it a bit crazy making when they miss some stuff. Since you brought it up though, I'll talk about it here. I don't think it's simply a matter of being under the gun as it were though, as often while discussing time they had with the game at home, they will seem to be completely oblivious to key plot points. When prompted by Vinny, Brad seemed to have no recollection that the Protoss he was fighting during the HotS Quicklook had initiated the fight with Kerrigan. That was something he would have learned playing the game that morning, before he went in to the office, and was the focal point of an entire mission.

But I really didn't like Brad's attitude during his 1v1 multiplayer match. I realize he was playing far below his level and could have easily stomped that guy were he focused. But for a majority of that game he was bitching about his opponent not leaving the game despite the fact that he was on the losing end of most of their early exchanges. It was as if he expected his opponent to know his Trueskill and bow out based on that, not the extremely horrible play he was exhibiting. He talked as if his victory was assured, but for the entire game he was at a serious risk of losing.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9999 posts) -

The people who complain should just turn off the videos. Problem solved.

#4 Posted by dudeglove (9100 posts) -

Brad reminds me of those quiz show contestants who are egged on by producers to think over their answer (see "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire") and end up talking themselves into failure.

#5 Posted by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

I'm not one to bitch about it in the comments but I do find it a bit crazy making when they miss some stuff. Since you brought it up though, I'll talk about it here. I don't think it's simply a matter of being under the gun as it were though, as often while discussing time they had with the game at home, they will seem to be completely oblivious to key plot points. When prompted by Vinny, Brad seemed to have no recollection that the Protoss he was fighting during the HotS Quicklook had initiated the fight with Kerrigan. That was something he would have learned playing the game that morning, before he went in to the office, and was the focal point of an entire mission.

But I really didn't like Brad's attitude during his 1v1 multiplayer match. I realize he was playing far below his level and could have easily stomped that guy were he focused. But for a majority of that game he was bitching about his opponent not leaving the game despite the fact that he was on the losing end of most of their early exchanges. It was as if he expected his opponent to know his Trueskill and bow out based on that, not the extremely horrible play he was exhibiting. He talked as if his victory was assured, but for the entire game he was at a serious risk of losing.

I'd say he had pretty much control. His opponent was basically just a chicken. After Brad destroyed his bases, the game was lost. He didn't to any resource gahtering, still he kept going with what little he had. When you see a game going that way, just bow the fuck out. In the end, you're just postponing the inevitable, and wasting everyones time.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8979 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer said:

I'd say he had pretty much control. His opponent was basically just a chicken. After Brad destroyed his bases, the game was lost. He didn't to any resource gahtering, still he kept going with what little he had. When you see a game going that way, just bow the fuck out. In the end, you're just postponing the inevitable, and wasting everyones time.

Yeah at the very end Brad had him clearly beat. I'm not talking about that (although I don't think there was anything wrong with his opponent hanging around in the game for an extra minute. Sometimes you just need to process your loss. It happens in pro level games all the time and no one bitches about it there). I'm talking about the entire 48-minute game or however long it was where Brad was getting the worst of almost every exchange and still acting as if he clearly had the upper hand and the opponent should just give up. If his opponent was just a tiny bit better, Brad could easily have lost that game. The only thing that kept Brad alive was his stronger economy. He was actively throwing away money by suiciding his units over and over again.

#7 Posted by casper_ (915 posts) -

brad is pretty radical but i dont think he really needs a defense force quite yet.

#8 Posted by MistaSparkle (2283 posts) -

Brad may not be the best gamer in the world, but god damn if he doesn't play Starcraft incredibly well. And that's a huge feat. That game is fucking tough. And you're totally right about him making it enjoyable and informative. I've had way more fun watching him and Norm duke it out than actually playing that game myself. I can't wait for this week's TNT, they really should play SC more or Brad should start livestreaming some games or something.

#9 Edited by Milkman (17826 posts) -

I'm not sure if Brad needs a defense force but yeah, the INCESSANT bitching during that StarCraft quick look was pretty unbearable. Yeah, it's not pro level play but anyone expecting that is on the wrong website.

#10 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3224 posts) -

Complaining about complaining. Makes sense.

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9999 posts) -

@milkman said:

I'm not sure if Brad needs a defense force but yeah, the INCESSANT bitching during that StarCraft quick look was pretty unbearable. Yeah, it's not pro level play but anyone expecting that is on the wrong website.

It just amazes me that people bitch about content they voluntarily consume. It reminds me of a baby hitting himself in the head and then complaining to his parents about it.

#12 Edited by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1833 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@milkman said:

It just amazes me that people bitch about content they voluntarily consume. It reminds me of a baby hitting himself in the head and then complaining to his parents about it.

#13 Edited by themangalist (1853 posts) -

I love me some Brad. People need to grow up and stop complaining about Alex, Patrick, or any of the Gamespot crew. But this is the internet so..

#14 Posted by Geralt (362 posts) -

I'll join this force of yours. What are we to do? Do we get to beat anybody up?

#15 Posted by PillClinton (3351 posts) -

I don't know about all this StarCraft business, but I do appreciate Brad as a member of the crew because I find him to be the most relatable for me personally. Similar crossovers of interests and stuff. He adds a certain unique sort of perspective to the crew that often differs quite a bit from the rest of the guys, and I like that.

#16 Edited by Arabes (371 posts) -

@legion_: Not everyone plays those games to be master of the universe or to cram in as many games as possible. If the dude didn't want to quit then that's his decision. So what if he was going to lose, I bet he got some enjoyment out of buggin his opponent without resorting to the usual racial slurs or hissy fits :)

#17 Edited by Doppelgamer (363 posts) -

I suppose there was that moment in the video where Brad was looking around for a minute, wondering where to go, while there was a bright large green indicator on the map. I can understand people getting exasperated by that, seeing as it was quite obvious, but they do honestly nitpick every little perceived error that he makes, and that really is quite rude.

#18 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@milkman said:

#19 Edited by dungbootle (2501 posts) -

We are all only human

#20 Posted by Kerned (1183 posts) -

Haters gonna hate, not much you can do about it. Some people hate Brad, some people hate Patrick, some people hate Vinny... wait no. No one hates Vinny.

#21 Posted by Damodar (1620 posts) -

Yeah, it's stupid. If we're going to hate on anybody, it should be Patrick. Fuck that guy.

JOKEZ

#22 Posted by Ducksworth (670 posts) -

How could anyone hate this hunkadunk?

#23 Posted by Hyuzen (537 posts) -

#TeamBrad

#24 Edited by Sweep (9670 posts) -

Anyone who isn't on #TeamBrad just needs to go away and rethink their lives.

#25 Posted by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Well, he probably was a little stressed out because he didn't feel the game was any fun to watch, and that's understandable, considering Ryan's expression at times has the ability to kill. But still, I think he had pretty much control, and that guy should have tapped out long before he did.

#26 Posted by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

I suppose there was that moment in the video where Brad was looking around for a minute, wondering where to go, while there was a bright large green indicator on the map. I can understand people getting exasperated by that, seeing as it was quite obvious, but they do honestly nitpick every little perceived error that he makes, and that really is quite rude.

By reading the comments section I got the impression that he used half the QL just standing around, but it was literally just a minute. How can anyone complain about that? It's so fucking silly.

Brad has actually orchestrated my favorite internet moment through the ages. I am of course talking about that fantastic moment at the end of the Big Live Live Show Live. The stars aligned, and everything felt right in this world. For a short while after Brad shot that dude in the face, there was peace.

#27 Posted by Pr1mus (4095 posts) -

#teambrad

never forget

Loading Video...

#28 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4010 posts) -

Judging by the comments I was expecting something worse but the checkpoint slip up was not worth getting worked up about. The lack of observers with those widow mines on the other hand...

#29 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3876 posts) -

Well, they are better at video games so they deserve to have Brad's job and he doesn't. Obviously.

#teambrad

#30 Edited by TooWalrus (13319 posts) -

Brad's pretty great...

Wait, why does Brad need a defense force? What'd I miss?

#31 Posted by Jack268 (3368 posts) -

I dunno sometimes Brad says stuff I really disagree with like a lot of his complaints in the RE6 QL applying to RE5 as well and I get kind of annoyed when the forum turns into a giant hugbox. IMO it's just annoying when people feel the need to defend someone over the internet as it is when people feel the need to insult someone, I think both sides should just stop making dumb threads and shitting up the comments section on videos.

#33 Edited by Subjugation (4780 posts) -

Playing Starcraft while trying to be a part of a stream and deliver commentary is pretty hard. I miss so many last hits playing Dota 2 when I'm talking to my roommate and SC2 has way more micro and macro (in my opinion) than Dota. I'll just say that I don't think I could do any better than Brad, especially while streaming.

I'll admit that I did get pretty frustrated when he let the widow mines harass him for far longer than he should have. Other than that, whatevs man!

#34 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2273 posts) -

I think it's stupid to be upset by this, people are gonna be frustrated when the solution to the problem is obvious and the player keeps overlooking it. It's not like anyone was calling for Brad's job, you guys need to chill out.

#35 Edited by Ramone (3071 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@milkman said:

That is a motherfucking apt comparison.

#36 Edited by BBAlpert (1799 posts) -

The following also applies to Patrick and since the start of the new Wednesday show, some of the Gamespot guys.

When I first started coming to GB, I didn't really like Brad. The problem was I didn't have any significant reason not to. Just a gut feeling. But over time, I've gotten over that and come around to the opinion of "you know what? That guy's alright." That being said, the only TRUE #TeamBrad in my heart is #TheMuirCats

:D 4 lyfe

#37 Edited by Max_Cherry (1209 posts) -

Yeah! Fuck Brad Davis!

#38 Edited by Fattony12000 (7916 posts) -

BDF! BDF! BDF!

#39 Edited by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

Language time!

"Duder" is gender-neutral. "Dudette" doesn't really make sense from a linguistic perspective anyway. "Dudess" would be more accurate.

#40 Posted by Bocam (3975 posts) -

Why do you fucking care about people you don't know complaining about a person you don't know?

#41 Posted by Carryboy (873 posts) -

@legion_:

Yeh these fucking guys who just analyse and complain about every little thing!

Oh by the way he was teaching Vinny and Ryan about starcraft, not learning teaching. You are welcome.

#42 Edited by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

@bocam said:

Why do you fucking care about people you don't know complaining about a person you don't know?

Because they're dicks, and someone should call them on it. I'm on a mission to civilize.

#43 Edited by Bocam (3975 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@bocam said:

Because they're dicks, and someone should call them on it. I'm on a mission to civilize.

While I agree with you that users in the comments can be dicks. Brad was pretty dickish to the guy he was playing (in a unranked game). So it was just Dicks being dicks to a dick. It was a Dick Festival.

#44 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

I like watching Brad play games (poorly or not.) I find it funny that he's so oblivious to in-game cues and that he finds it so difficult to admit a mistake or fault on his own part. I am aware that some portion of that behavior is deliberate, intended to troll the audience. That makes it more enjoyable for me to see Brad being trolled, or blowing up about being trolled (be it from the audience or the other staff members) as Brad is part of that feedback loop himself. It's an integral part of watching Brad play at this point.

I don't really understand the people who get upset about it after the fact, nor the people who take the trolling seriously, nor the serious backseat gamers who think that their opinions matter or that their "advice" is wanted or necessary - and that pretty much goes for any game stream here or anywhere else at any time.

#45 Posted by Tenebre (26 posts) -

Seeing any of them fumble is more entertaining. What else are we expecting by now :x

#46 Posted by mrfluke (5654 posts) -

wait people were complaining about the starcraft 2 QL even after its been said to dont expect professional play?

good lord, theres a fine line between legit criticism and pointless criticism, and this easily falls on the latter

#47 Posted by TheHT (12265 posts) -

i dropped an m&m and it seems to have fallen into a wormhole behind my desk, because i can't fucking see it anywhere.

#48 Edited by Mezmero (2319 posts) -

Foiled again! Curse you Brad Defense Force! You may have won today but we will be back to destroy Shoemaker once and for all. Retreat!

#49 Posted by StarvingGamer (8979 posts) -
@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer: Well, he probably was a little stressed out because he didn't feel the game was any fun to watch, and that's understandable, considering Ryan's expression at times has the ability to kill. But still, I think he had pretty much control, and that guy should have tapped out long before he did.

I wouldn't classify constantly being at risk of losing as "ha[ving] pretty much control". If anything, for 3/4 of the match Brad should have been the one to tap out based on how things were going.

#50 Posted by Legion_ (1663 posts) -

@legion_ said:

I wouldn't classify constantly being at risk of losing as "ha[ving] pretty much control". If anything, for 3/4 of the match Brad should have been the one to tap out based on how things were going.

I hear you say that, but I disagree. Brad had control.