#1 Edited by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -
Brad's country debut, Land Between the Rivers, was released in 2004

As you may remember, I posted a thread last year with a video of our own Alex Navarro playing a surprisingly poignant piano piece, offering a rare glimpse into the secret lives of the Giant Bomb Crew. Yet while Alex had never certainly alluded to his stunning piano skills, it does make some sense that he would choose such an endeavor, considering he was once a Harmonix employee, a company who in 2010 perhaps not so coincidentally released a keyboard controller. Aside from Jeff, it would appear that Alex is the only staff member with any sort of visible music background. On the basis of this information alone, it's easy to see how one could have jumped to the conclusion that Alex alone was operating a cloak and dagger song-smith operation, but as I have recently discovered, this is not the case. In fact, signs indicate that Brad Shoemaker's surreptitious country debut dates as far back as 2004, when he was still working at GameSpot. The album, Land Between the Rivers, is a rousing concept album (something rarely attempted in modern country music) about the history of Iowa. One might find it odd that Brad recorded an album about the state of Iowa, considering he neither lives nor has lived there, at least to our knowledge, but as we have seen time and time again, Brad defies all expectation. Just watch that video of him playing Rock Band.

Because Bradley has done such an expert job of covering his tracks, there existed no YouTube videos to point to, nor did there exist any shady download sites I could link to, not that I would even think about shortchanging Mr. Shoemaker. As a result, I now own a copy of Land Between the Rivers, and according to last.fm, I'm the only person in the world to ever have listened to it. Because it would be absurd of me to assume every other member of this site to exhibit the same level of benignity, I have taken the liberty of uploading two videos to YouTube for your pleasure: the first a music video and the second the entire album for those who wish to hear the entire work as intended. I hope you all enjoy, and I certainly hope Brad enjoys my $14.

#2 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Brad needs to write better lyrics.

#3 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I'm respectful of Brad's privacy, but incase he's reading this I'd like you to know that I appreciate your work Brad, and if you ever decided to share your beautiful gift with the world, I'm sure the album would strike a chord with many people.

I think it's a real shame that he hasn't released anything since 2004. Maybe he got too busy with reviewing PS2 games and just never picked it up again.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

Are we sure this isn't a different 'Brad Shoemaker'? Not that I don't think the dude could sing. That just doesn't sound like him.

#5 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1232 posts) -

HOLY SHIT! I knew Brad was a good singer from the videos of him singing on rock band and stuff, but he is awesome! #TEAMBRAD

#6 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
#7 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -
@JasonR86 I suppose anything is possible, but what are the odds of that?
#8 Posted by Octaslash (485 posts) -

I remember when Brad was talking about this on one of the old Gamespot podcasts. If I remember correctly, the album's failure was part of why left Gamespot in 2008.

#9 Posted by Voxus (319 posts) -

I'm skeptical. Confirm/deny Brad?

#10 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Octaslash: Probably a licensing issue, he must've used the podcast equipment to record the tracks and they all just got caught up in legal bullshit.
#11 Posted by DeathByWaffle (629 posts) -

Clearly not Brad, but I appreciate it nonetheless

#12 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

I'd think the part where it sounds nothing like him would've been a giveaway...

#13 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Well his name is on it, so it seems like a pretty open and shut case to me.

#14 Posted by ZagZagovich (753 posts) -

What was that about I'm now at peace with all my white brothers?

#15 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

He used to say that all the time on the bombcast.

#16 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

I'm watching these without any context and I feel like Brad died.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

@JasonR86 I suppose anything is possible, but what are the odds of that?

Good? I mean they aren't hugely common names but common enough.

#18 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

That doesn't sound anything like Brad.

#19 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -
@PlasmaBeam44 Brad has an incredible range
#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

@ZagZagovich said:

What was that about I'm now at peace with all my white brothers?

"I thank the great spirit, that I am now friendly with all my white brothers"

Brad explain yourself.

#21 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I can't believe you guys are so rejecting of Brad opening himself up like this.

#22 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Oh yeah, I remember one time Brad drunkenly tweeted something along the lines of "I have a confession, I was once a country singer, but it never took off. Now you all know." with a link to that album. But when I looked again in the morning, it was gone. He must have deleted it when he saw what he had done.

#23 Edited by Zacagawea (1580 posts) -

Great stuff, Brad. Truly. Please, once again, pick up the guitar and continue to spread your wisdom/knowledge of Iowa with your beautiful vocals. We are ready. Our ears and hearts are ready.

#24 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Are we sure this isn't a different 'Brad Shoemaker'? Not that I don't think the dude could sing. That just doesn't sound like him.

@MarkWahlberg said:

Well there are plenty of singers who's singing voice does not match up to their talking voice. Prince, Sly Stone, Marvin Gaye, Joe Cocker, just to name a few off the top of my head.

#25 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Like a jar of molasses what got stomped on with a big boot.

#26 Posted by Bollard (5245 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I think that's the joke.

#27 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

#28 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@JasonR86 said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Well there are plenty of singers who's singing voice does not match up to their talking voice. Prince, Sly Stone, Marvin Gaye, Joe Cocker, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Not in this case. Note the link in my previous post. The album description describes this Brad as a native of the Midwest and an Army veteran.

#29 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -
@Turambar he was careful to cover up his tracks
#30 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

@Turambar he was careful to cover up his tracks
#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@JasonR86 said:

I think that's the joke.

Joke?

#32 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Is this a joke? There is no where in hell that is Brad.

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

That first video is creepy. I feel like nobody should make videos like that of you until your dead. And Brad needs not to be dead. #Teambrad

#34 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@mordukai said:

@JasonR86 said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Not in this case. Note the link in my previous post. The album description describes this Brad as a native of the Midwest and an Army veteran.

I wasn't saying it to confirmed it's Brad, just to say that sometimes judging whether it's the person singing by comparing his talking voice to his singing voice can be misleading.

#35 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

We know Brad can pretty much replicate any sound he wants with his singing voice, so we can't rule this out just yet.

#36 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I need solid proof that this is Brad. It's not that I'm not buying it, I just want to hear it from the source.

#37 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

This is good... but nothing can live up to BiffMcBlumkin's video of Claude from this thread:

#39 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks if you really care, I'd suggest hitting up his Twitter account. I will not be doing that on account I would look hella desperate
#40 Posted by Fobwashed (1897 posts) -

This video seems appropriate for when/if Brad actually ever leaves GiantBomb

#41 Posted by BaconGames (3290 posts) -

This thread sure had me going there for a bit. Bravo to you sir/madam/robot.

#42 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

Well over the years we have heard Brad sing in quick looks and live shows.....this aint our Brad. How could you even think it was? It sounds nothing like him.

#43 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Well this is awkward.

#44 Posted by captain_max707 (479 posts) -

Hey guys I don't think that is Brad.