#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

This thread is spoiling a specific situation from season 3, 

please don't spoil the rest of season 3 and NO SEASON 4 SPOILERS

Aight so for the past two days I've been watching this show, already in season 3, and I gotta ask, are these writers MENTALLY CHALLENGED???  
The guy is miserable and has a wife and a crippled son, he found out he had lung cancer, he has a baby girl on the way, so he turned to crime just to make money to ensure the future of his family. 
He hides the secret for two seasons, then he tells his wife when she confronts him, like he's doing an evil thing. And he just keeps chasing her around and asking to discuss this, INSTEAD OF JUST TELLING HER- HEY, BITCH, I WENT THROUGH THE SEVEN HELLS TO FUCKING MAKE THIS MONEY FOR YOU. 

Now, his fucking wife whom i loathe doesnt REALIZE that her decent family-man husband did this shit for her and her family, and she's treating him like some low life wife beater. Her lawyer asks her to expose him and sue him for being a meth cook, and she goes "I DONT WANNA PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH THIS BECAUSE HE'S DYING SOON". I mean, REALLY? NO SHIT? HE HAS CANCER AND HE'S GOING SOON? 

This show is brilliant, but this fucking SHIT with walt and his cunt wife and the whole "you're a criminal" facefuck is so bloody enraging and it just doesn't make SENSE, are these characters mentally fucking challenged? 

Please put this into perspective.Otherwise please join me in ranting.
#2 Edited by Aegon (5493 posts) -

Yes, I hate that mouth breathing bitch too, but that's who Walt is...he's a pussy, at least when it comes to his wife and family. He treats the criminal world and his life with his family very differently. Compared to other regular bad asses he's still a pussy. He's not afraid to beg on his knees and weep. 

#3 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

Hate-Hate-Hate-Hate!

#4 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

#5 Posted by StealthRaptor (527 posts) -

Just keep going through it, dude.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
I'd also like to add that I do not know how you are able to continue watching a show where whenever Walt makes a mistake, ooooh it's horrible, it's bad, it's terrible, how could he, whereas whenever his bitch wife makes a mistake, SHE'S ONLY HUMAN, LEAVE BRITNEY ALAWWN, LEAVE HER ALAAWWN. 

Smoking while pregnant? Being extremely rude to hank? Not getting off anyone's dick? Fucking Tedd?  She's only human. 

What kind of double fucking standard is this, it's sickening. 

@Inkerman said:
Angry? I wish. It's the blood boiling frustration 
#7 Posted by CrazyBagMan (841 posts) -

Would it be more engaging and entertaining if she said "I understand honey" and they snuggled? Conflict is what keeps it interesting, sometimes it's aggravating, sometimes it's illogical, but IMO the show wouldn't be quite as good without it.

#8 Posted by Aegon (5493 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
I'd also like to add that I do not know how you are able to continue watching a show where whenever Walt makes a mistake, ooooh it's horrible, it's bad, it's terrible, how could he, whereas whenever his bitch wife makes a mistake, SHE'S ONLY HUMAN, LEAVE BRITNEY ALAWWN, LEAVE HER ALAAWWN. 

Smoking while pregnant? Being extremely rude to hank? Not getting off anyone's dick? Fucking Tedd?  She's only human. 

What kind of double fucking standard is this, it's sickening. 

@Inkerman said:
Angry? I wish. It's the blood boiling frustration 
Who says these things? How are you able to continue watching the show? I think his wife is a horrible person and it doesn't stop me from watching the show.  
#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4394 posts) -

@tfsteefs:

That shit made my mouth drop when I saw it. The episode cut off and I flipped out. I cannot imagine what will happen in the final season.

#10 Edited by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Well, that's Skyler for you. She's a bitch.

What I find a lot more irritating though is how the characters in these shows are so ridiculously fickle, and that really pertains to almost every single one, but most especially Walt and later on Jesse. Some might argue that's character complexity, but it just seems to me like a bad attempt on the writers' part to convey inner conflict. Because really, sometimes nothing Walt tries to do seems logical at all, even when trying to think about it emotionally (if that makes any sense at all).

One moment he's all like "Yeah, look at all this money I went through hell for, I'm so badass!", and the next moment he's throwing the damn thing into his backyard brazier.

#11 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@tfsteefs:

What is wrong with you? Way to be an ass.

Everyone hates skyler but I don't mind her, just have to see things in her perspective

#12 Posted by Battery24 (12 posts) -

The problem is that you still believe him to be a decent man. The show is ingenious in the way that it introduces the character in a way that you HAVE to root for him. I mean c'mon, the man has cancer and just wants to provide for his family. But as the show goes on, you begin to see that absolutely everything that Walt does is driven by ego. He could have had his treatment covered by his former colleague, but he refused because of ego. HE WOULD RATHER SELL DRUGS THAN TAKE CHARITY. There have been and will be times that he has a real change to get out of the game, but he refused. He enjoys it. He is PROUD of what he has accomplished and wants to be recognized for it. He views Jesse and everyone else he has encountered in the criminal underworld like crap. He views himself as above them. He likes to justify it as, "I'm doing this for my family, so I'm better than you." But in reality, he didn't NEED to do this for his family. He did it because he needed to take control. He was in a shitty teaching job when he had the potential to be world renown chemist and he knows it.

And Skyler knows this. She knows that he could have had everything paid for, but instead he sold drugs, and in the process, opened up his family to the dangers that the drug world provides.

Don't get me wrong, he loves his family. But he loves himself more. He is more interested in the pride that comes from providing for his family than the act of actually providing for them.

#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
#14 Posted by Slayeric (260 posts) -

Settle down there, killer. The show is fantastic, and you know, I think that the point is to frustrate the viewer with the relationship between Walt and Skyler.

Also, flagged the spoiler comments. Thank god I somehow managed to not read them while doing it. Good thing I read Landon's first.

#15 Posted by John1912 (1858 posts) -

Skylar is fine. I dont really see a problem with her actions. Middle class goody two shoes will have some issues with a husband cooking meth.

#16 Posted by Battery24 (12 posts) -

Here's a really awesome, non-spoilery article...I think it's a really good take on the character of Walter White: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6763000/bad-decisions

#17 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I fucked Ted.

#18 Edited by IBurningStar (2164 posts) -

ITT: Guy reveals himself to be a colossal fucking asshole.

Edit: Spoiler tagged the shit I quoted from tfsteefs.
#19 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Please put this into perspective. Otherwise please join me in ranting.

Imagine, if you will, you're a 40-year-old high school chemistry teacher, working a second job at a car wash with a son with cerebral palsy and a daughter on the way. Imagine, if you will, your wife is concerned about the family finances but wants to find a legal way out of it. Imagine if you will, you start cooking meth. You hide it from your wife, and then tell her 2 seasons in. Imagine that she flips out because her husband is a FUCKING METH COOK.

I do not understand what the mental handicap you have is, because the relationships between characters have made super-clear sense.

PS Just freaking catch up to where everyone else is, then start discussing. It's annoying to read someone's opinion on a subject that has completely changed by next season and that specific person is all like, "no season 4 spoilers plz, let me spout my incorrect opinions at you all!".

#20 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

Umm but the thing is at one point he stops doing it for the money and more for the satisfaction of doing it. Walt ends up having pride over his creation/s. By the time he starts making meth for Gus he's already made the money to pay for the medical bills so he could've gone back to work as a school teacher. Also in season 1, he could've earned that money by working for his best friend in college but his pride wouldn't let him. Walt's pride has really been his downfall throughout the series. As is with most human beings in real life.

Edit: I should also say that the reason for her being mad isn't as simple as "oh he's doing an illegal activity so I'm gonna be mad about that". It's that he lied to her hundreds of times and hid it from her on top of the fact that it's an illegal activity.

#21 Posted by jamesisaacs (221 posts) -

The whole show sucks.

#22 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: That's slightly retarded and short-sighted. There is so much wrong with your argument.

Do you realize in what kind of danger the "decent family man" put his family into? ...without giving them a choice. How many other lifes he destroyed (purely by making the uber-drug)?

A decent family man would've accepted the offer from a friend to lend him money.

Caring for his family was why he started doing it, but soon after he did it just for himself. There were plenty of possibilities to quit for him but he didn't because he likes being a powerful asshole.

#23 Posted by Chaser324 (6418 posts) -

@jamesisaacs: No. Just...no.

#24 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

I love the show and I feel like all their reactions and emotions make perfect sense.

Thank you.

#25 Posted by MEATBALL (3193 posts) -

This thread made a lot more sense when I realised it was posted by AhmadMetallic, the new avatar threw me off. Keep on being crazy, guy.

#26 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

I love how as the show goes on you aren't exactly sure who to root for anymore.

#27 Posted by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -

Adult dramas often deal with shades of grey. Perhaps you'd be happier sticking to video game narratives with clear goodies and baddies?

#28 Posted by sparks50 (373 posts) -

The fourth season is amazing. So hang in there.

#29 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I'd say season three is the greatest, loved the twins

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Please put this into perspective. Otherwise please join me in ranting.

Imagine, if you will, you're a 40-year-old high school chemistry teacher, working a second job at a car wash with a son with cerebral palsy and a daughter on the way. Imagine, if you will, your wife is concerned about the family finances but wants to find a legal way out of it. Imagine if you will, you start cooking meth. You hide it from your wife, and then tell her 2 seasons in. Imagine that she flips out because her husband is a FUCKING METH COOK.

I do not understand what the mental handicap you have is, because the relationships between characters have made super-clear sense.

That's the thing, I imagined all that and it didn't make sense.  

PS Just freaking catch up to where everyone else is, then start discussing. It's annoying to read someone's opinion on a subject that has completely changed by next season and that specific person is all like, "no season 4 spoilers plz, let me spout my incorrect opinions at you all!".

I find it perfectly normal to post a thread inquiring or ranting about a previous season. If someone discussed a Dexter season 4 episode and was all angry or confused, I'd gladly discuss that old season with them. 

@CptBedlam said: 

Do you realize in what kind of danger the "decent family man" put his family into? ...without giving them a choice. How many other lifes he destroyed (purely by making the uber-drug)?

A decent family man would've accepted the offer from a friend to lend him money.

Caring for his family was why he started doing it, but soon after he did it just for himself. There were plenty of possibilities to quit for him but he didn't because he likes being a powerful asshole.

You may be right, it is crazy and unusual for him to cook freaking meth instead of taking a friend's money, but that's the thing, his family is odd, he is odd, he has issues, they always feel like they're alone in the world, so it would make sense for his wife to be a little understanding of his bizarre decision to do something massive on his own!
#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:
This thread made a lot more sense when I realised it was posted by AhmadMetallic, the new avatar threw me off. Keep on being crazy, guy.
My pleasure ;) 

@CaLe: Flagged! Add a spoiler tag damn it!
#32 Posted by Athadam (686 posts) -

In a way, this problem is what makes the show.

It shows the failure in communication from people. Throughout the whole show, you'd expect Pinkman and Walter to get along but because of these situations that they don't clearly explain to each other they get in a bunch of fights. The same mistake in communication is happening with Walter and his wife.

It gets better.

#33 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

No one likes Skyler....no one

#34 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

I do not like Skylar. I think the show is awesome though, can't wait for Season 4 to hit Netflix (I missed the start of Season 4 :{ )

#35 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Obviously the show is doing a great job disturbing your shit since it's getting you to talk about it like some bitch watching a soap opera.

#36 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I feel sorry for Walt Jr. He gets teased, lied to, and his brand new car gets immediately taken away from him. Plus, his dad's putting him in danger, and his mom's a total bitch. I will say that

Skyler becomes way less of a bitch in season 4, almost likable. Walt, becomes even more of an asshole.

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CaLe: Flagged! Add a spoiler tag damn it!

In his defense, that happened two seasons ago. Not much of a spoiler.

#37 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

Without spoiling anything let me tell you that Walt starts to not give a shit about Skyler thinks, which kind of almost wins her over. Seriously while she is a bitch she starts to redeem herself towards the end of S3 and beginning of S4.

#38 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Dany said:

I'd say season three is the greatest, loved the twins

the twins were great villains Hak schreader 4 life

#39 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Skyler is pretty much the worst character ever made. She gets worse. I once had to choose between answering my door and listening to mormons, or continuing with a skyler scene. I chose the former and was better for it.

#40 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

I agree with most of you that Skyler is a terrible character, but she's not as bad as Jane. Thank the heavens they killed her off.

#41 Posted by b4d533d (36 posts) -

Snape kills dumbledore

#42 Posted by sionweeks (647 posts) -

You have to look at it through her perspective, she was lied to CONSTANTLY after all. But then again, I do hate Skyler more than most characters (except for the CUNT witch in True Blood) So many characters are retarded at least once in this show, sometimes it's justifiable though. Hank hates all drugs including weed etc, which is ridiculous, but then again, he does work for the DEA, and his character in real life would probably hate it too. Skyler gets pissed because Walter smoked weed once, yet she smoked TOBACCO while pregnant. But then again, her character is a middle aged woman who obviously doesn't have very good views on the ethics of drug dealing/usage, so her character in real life would also act this way. Jesse goes back to meth all the time, and you would think that any smart human would know that meth can fuck you up, but again, his character doesn't really seem like the type that really cares about the negative effects that meth has, like in real life.

On to Walt. Walt isn't the good guy anymore. I'm not sure if you've still not seen season 4, but he really isn't the good guy. He has a huge ego, is a complete dick to Jesse all the time about everything, and should have chosen to accept the treatment 'charity'. But if he hadn't, we wouldn't have the incredible show that is Breaking Bad.

#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Ok, after thinking about it a bit. I think Season 4 is my favorite season.Especially the ending of "Crawl Space". I was fucking trembling after that

When are you going to watch season 4,?

#44 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I just wanna say my favorite part of the entire show was when he was driving along having a shitty day and the radio came on and said that Jane's dad killed himself hahah His reaction was priceless.

#45 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I read that as breaking Brad.