#1 Edited by Athadam (705 posts) -

Researchers at the Boston's Childrens Hospital have developed a new particle that is able to oxygenate your body without requiring you to breathe. This means that if your heart stops and you are unable to breathe, medical teams that inject the liquid into your body will be able to prevent further brain damage and cell death.  

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-invent-particles-that-will-let-you-live-without-breathing?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow 

"This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie: researchers have designed microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate your body, even if you can't breathe  anymore. It's one of the best medical breakthroughs in recent years, and one that could save millions of lives every year." 

" The invention, developed by a team at Boston Children's Hospital, will allow medical teams to keep patients alive and well for 15 to 30 minute despite major respiratory failure. This is enough time for doctors and emergency personnel to act without risking a heart attack or permanent brain injuries in the patient.

"
#2 Edited by Dexter_Morgan_ (313 posts) -

I didn't want to breathe before it became "cool".

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11412 posts) -

MADNESS! SCIENCE! SCIENCE MADNESS!

#4 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I invented that a long time ago, its called OXYGEN. You deliver directly to your lungs, and it is absorbed into your blood stream.

( cool i guess )

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

So I don't have to worry about somebody performing a tracheotomy on me anymore?  Good.  A hole in my neck would really cramp my style.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2667 posts) -

That is an impressive feat, now whether it be advantageous to Space Travel and settlements on other planets, I guess that depends on whether these particles are easier to produce than the oxygen itself.

#7 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

That's pretty awesome. Imagine what the future holds.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11412 posts) -

@Village_Guy: If it only works for 15-30 minutes, it probably wouldn't be useful for space stuff. And it's a liquid, so it's heavier than carrying straight up oxygen.

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

And here I was using my lungs like a sucker. First wheelchairs and now this

#10 Posted by Athadam (705 posts) -
@Village_Guy said:

That is an impressive feat, now whether it be advantageous to Space Travel and settlements on other planets, I guess that depends on whether these particles are easier to produce than the oxygen itself.

These particles are basically just oxygen carriers - not a replacement of any sort. 
#11 Edited by Athadam (705 posts) -

I wonder how this invention will help the other methods of saving someone's life after their respiratory system fails. For example, if your heart stops - they wrap you around ice packs to rapidly cool down your body to almost freezing. This helps slow down cell metabolism and prevents the cells from using up the oxygen still inside the body.  

If they paired these two techniques up, could it help someone live even longer than just 15-30 minutes after respiratory failure?

#12 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

So how long before we have Terra-formation machines?. The last tree will be cut in a big ceremony and we will be one step closer ...we don't need to Earth! we own you!.

#13 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

One more step to IMMORTALLITY!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

#14 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I wonder if it has any euphoric or psychoactive effects like inhaling pure O2.

#15 Posted by kindone (2843 posts) -

@Castermhief117: Wow, if all of that is to be believed and works as well as it should, that is an absolutely amazing discovery and invention there. I cannot wait to see that broadened and possibly even delivered to my hospital. There are many lives that can be saved by such a thing.

#16 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

That's pretty rad!

#17 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

Cool, now I can hoard oxygen in a liquid form.

#18 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Also... couldn't people who swim use this constantly... like... would it literally be able to make you into... well... a fish then as long as you keep injecting more into yourself?

Yeah... I fully admit that it would be a pretty cool thing to test.

#19 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Now the only hurdle is monay.

#20 Posted by Rebel_Scum (775 posts) -

This would be a great tool for lifeguards if they don't wanna do mouth to mouth.

#21 Posted by Giantstalker (1729 posts) -

This could render many chemical and biological weapons totally obsolete, really fascinating stuff. I wonder how it could be distributed to troops and if it could replace the gas mask for standard issue.

#22 Posted by FLStyle (4925 posts) -

This is bad-ass. If it becomes the norm in society it would be amazing.

#23 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -

Yay science!

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5978 posts) -

Can I use this stuff to make wishes in really really long tunnels?

#25 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

Researchers at the Boston's Childrens Hospital have developed a new particle that is able to oxygenate your body without requiring you to breathe. This means that if your heart stops and you are unable to breathe, medical teams that inject the liquid into your body will be able to prevent further brain damage and cell death.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-invent-particles-that-will-let-you-live-without-breathing?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie: researchers have designed microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate your body, even if you can't breathe anymore. It's one of the best medical breakthroughs in recent years, and one that could save millions of lives every year."

" The invention, developed by a team at Boston Children's Hospital, will allow medical teams to keep patients alive and well for 15 to 30 minute despite major respiratory failure. This is enough time for doctors and emergency personnel to act without risking a heart attack or permanent brain injuries in the patient.
"

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but this definitely sounds like something out of The Abyss. Super cool!

#26 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

This is basically the greatest thing ever.

#27 Posted by AssInAss (2747 posts) -

Thanks for highlighting this story!

#28 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

All hail are new leaders, the Merpeople!

#29 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

I'm not sure how useful that would be during a heart attack considering you have no circulation. It could be useful for people with emphazema or respiratory infections. Also, if you could inject directly into the brain or CSF it might be useful to prevent the brain damage that occurs with severe encephalitis.

I wonder if you could hook up an IV and go scuba diving without needing the scuba apparatis. Or hyperoxygenate the blood and go for a run.

#30 Posted by Sterling (2706 posts) -

First DNA storage, now this. Whats next, bring it on Science.

#31 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

ummm...great. How much will it cost? Or rather, to what degree with this save magic johnson while all the not rich people keep dying of aids?

#32 Posted by NTM (7547 posts) -

Yeah, it's just something that'll help someone live for a certain amount of time after they're not breathing oxygen, it's almost like a video game aspect where when you get shot in multiplayer, and instead of just dying, you have to bleed out first, and possibly another chance at living if you get revivied before then. You switch some of that around, and it's not an analogy.

#33 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

wait so this is last stand well FUCK THIS THEN