• 97 results
Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) 11 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Brushing Teeth - Before or after breakfast? (371 votes)

Before 28%
After 65%
Both 7%

I've been told it's better to do it before.

#1 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

After, because I'll usually have fruit with my breakfast. FRUIT POST TEETH BRUSHING IS THE MOST FOUL TASTING CONCOCTION IN THE EXISTENCE OF MAN. Plus, I see it as getting all the shit you ate off your teeth from breakfast. I'd like to hear the case for the before breakfast.

#3 Posted by CornBREDX (5127 posts) -

after. otherwise breakfast tastes like spearmint.

#4 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

@earlessshrimp: I haven't done research on this, but my friend who I assume has, told me that you shouldn't brush within 30 minutes after eating because it wears down the teeth more. He said it's better to get rid of the bacteria that has built up in your mouth while sleeping after waking up and then eat.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14371 posts) -

Why would it be better to do it before. The whole point of brushing your teeth in the morning is to get rid of the crap on your teeth from breakfast. Doing it before makes absolutely no sense.

#8 Edited by Castiel (2580 posts) -

After. Do people even brush before? What kind of mad man would do that?

#9 Posted by MX (228 posts) -

the difference is a breath that is super minty and awesome and no food to be seen when you open your mouth or a breath that is not so minty and a lot of food in your mouth. I'd pick the first option

#10 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

After.

God before? Gross.

#11 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

@mattyftm: This article I found says it depends on what you eat for breakfast. If you eat acidic foods then they say you should brush before breakfast or 30 minutes after, which could be inconvenient if you have somewhere to go.

#12 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

After. Especially if I had coffee.

#14 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Before, as soon as I wake up, because I always wait an hour and a half before I eat breakfast.

#17 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

Your teet get dirty from eating food, idiots. So you brush AFTERWARDS.

#18 Posted by Dot (163 posts) -

I've brushed my teeth before breakfast when I've been in a rush a couple times, and it's not pleasant.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11816 posts) -

Ew, toothpaste taste mixed with cereal or eggs or toast or whatever I feel like eating for breakfast. Or anything, really.

Speaking from a logical perspective, though, wouldn't your teeth get dirty and your breath get stinky first thing if you brushed your teeth before breakfast?

#20 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2246 posts) -

I've tried both and all the times that I've done it before breakfast I ended up brushing again afterwords.

#21 Posted by SeanCoughing (262 posts) -

After breakfast of course. What kind of maniac brushes before?

#22 Edited by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Before breakfast, because after waking up I always go straight to the bathroom. Have a gum after breakfast.

#23 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

@aegon: Well, sounds pretty reasonable. But, what if you use mouth wash after breakfast THEN brush your teeth?!

#24 Posted by TobbRobb (4609 posts) -

I brush my teeth when I feel like they need to be brushed, which would usually be after breakfast. Before depending on what happened last night, or if I'm sick.

#26 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

@aegon: Well, sounds pretty reasonable. But, what if you use mouth wash after breakfast THEN brush your teeth?!

Hmmm, I dunno. Really, I made this poll to try and weigh the options. See if anyone has a particularly informed opinion on the subject.

#27 Edited by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Biggest issue I see here is the concern over erosion of your enamel. Here's some stuff to keep in mind, but that none of you will remember.

Bacteria in your mouth convert sugar into acid - so even if it isn't an acidic food you should rinse your mouth out before brushing if it's been less than ~20 minutes since you ate it. Lower pH levels (more acidic) soften the enamel of your teeth, bristles or a coarse toothpaste may cause erosion of the enamel. Always use a soft bristled brush. Also, keep in mind "whitening" tooth paste doesn't whiten your teeth, it simply removes stains. If you don't need it, don't use it and opt for a regular toothpaste that is less coarse.

The purpose of brushing (and flossing) is to disrupt the bacteria in your mouth. Unfortunately a side effect is that you remove your dental pellicle. This is a naturally occurring film that is created by glycoproteins of your saliva binding to the surface of your teeth. It's there to protect your teeth from changes in the pH of your mouth. This pellicle only takes a few seconds to regenerate though but give yourself some time before digging into food, especially if it's acidic (or contributes to an acidic oral environment) or could stain your teeth! Oh, also this pellicle that's there to protect your teeth is how bacteria first colonize your tooth surfaces - Oops.

#28 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

Before. I do flossing and mouthwash afterwards though. Don't know if that's good for you but it's been my tactic for years.

#29 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Biggest issue I see here is the concern over erosion of your enamel. Here's some stuff to keep in mind, but that none of you will remember.

Bacteria in your mouth convert sugar into acid - so even if it isn't an acidic food you should rinse your mouth out before brushing if it's been less than ~20 minutes since you ate it. Lower pH levels (more acidic) soften the enamel of your teeth, bristles or a coarse toothpaste may cause erosion of the enamel. Always use a soft bristled brush. Also, keep in mind "whitening" tooth paste doesn't whiten your teeth, it simply removes stains. If you don't need it, don't use it and opt for a regular toothpaste that is less coarse.

The purpose of brushing (and flossing) is to disrupt the bacteria in your mouth. Unfortunately a side effect is that you remove your dental pellicle. This is a naturally occurring film that is created by glycoproteins of your saliva binding to the surface of your teeth. It's there to protect your teeth from changes in the pH of your mouth. This pellicle only takes a few seconds to regenerate though but give yourself some time before digging into food, especially if it's acidic (or contributes to an acidic oral environment) or could stain your teeth! Oh, also this pellicle that's there to protect your teeth is how bacteria first colonize your tooth surfaces - Oops.

#30 Edited by Icemo (642 posts) -

"Brush your teeth for at least two minutes in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed.

Never brush your teeth straight after a meal as it can damage your teeth, especially if you've had fruit, fizzy drinks, wine or any other food that contains acid.

This is because tooth enamel is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid."

End of discussion.

#31 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I brush in the shower before work and then eat at work, so before.

#33 Posted by Vanick (329 posts) -

I figure I don't eat anything after I brush my teeth and go to bed so I always brush after breakfast.

#35 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

You people have breakfast? And teeth? Us Britains love you crazy mixed up kids. We saw a toothbrush on a museum trip once, next to the maces and lances but the guide was pretty unsure about how it was actually used.

#36 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1771 posts) -

It's not good to brush your teeth right after eating acidic foods like apples, for example.

But before? Screw that, just brush your teeth in the parking lot or something.

#37 Posted by HatKing (5900 posts) -

I brush very thoroughly before bed. And a quicker brush after breakfast, mostly just so my breath doesn't smell like ass or whatever I just ate. Though, I suppose if I were going out to breakfast, I would brush before.

#38 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

I always brush when I wake up because I usually wait an hour or two before I eat. Apparently I'm in the correct minority.

#39 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

After, because I don't want to have shit in my teeth when I leave my house....

#41 Posted by Gruebacca (512 posts) -

I brush my teeth after, but not right after. Otherwise, all the acidic sugary gunk mixes in with the toothpaste and doesn't help at all to clean the teeth.

#42 Edited by Faramir82 (68 posts) -

Before, I brush when I wake and then go for a run.

#43 Posted by SomeJerk (3219 posts) -

If you like your orange juice, make sure to brush your teeth beforehand so that you can enjoy it better!

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Where's the "I don't eat breakfast" option?

#45 Edited by 49th (2735 posts) -

Before because of the thing I read once about erosion and stuff.

#46 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10920 posts) -

After because I'm not completely insane.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I always brush when I wake up because I usually wait an hour or two before I eat. Apparently I'm in the correct minority.

High five!

You people have breakfast? And teeth? Us Britains love you crazy mixed up kids. We saw a toothbrush on a museum trip once, next to the maces and lances but the guide was pretty unsure about how it was actually used.

ha!

#49 Posted by Ben_H (3348 posts) -

Before. I drink 4-5 cups of coffee throughout the morning so it isn't like I am going to avoid having coffee breath anyway. I brush my teeth, shave, shower, get dressed, pack the stuff I need for the day then dawdle around a bit before I go eat breakfast so there is like a good hour before I eat after brushing anyway. I can't eat when I first wake up or I feel sick. I used brush right before leaving but I kept running out of time so I would end up having to do a crappy job of it.

#50 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (771 posts) -

I used to brush before eating, but then my dentist told me to brush after and I was like,"Oh, yeah. That totally makes more sense." Still rinse my mouth with water and a tiny bit of Listerine prior so I'm not eating all the bacteria that's been breeding in my mouth while I sleep.