• 97 results
Posted by Aegon (5124 posts) 7 months, 6 days ago

Brushing Teeth - Before or after breakfast? (371 votes)

Before 28%
After 65%
Both 7%

I've been told it's better to do it before.

#51 Edited by davidwitten22 (1703 posts) -

Not immediately before breakfast, but immediately upon waking sure. Then a while later you eat your first meal and then you brush them again. But if you could only choose one I would understand just brushing after. Brushing isn't exactly a blast to do or anything.

#52 Posted by SMTDante89 (2478 posts) -

Before because I have to go to class directly after I eat breakfast, so I don't have time to brush after.

#53 Posted by davidwitten22 (1703 posts) -

Also, thanks to this thread I'm going to go brush my teeth right now.

#54 Posted by SlashDance (1761 posts) -

NEVER!

#55 Posted by sqrabbit (88 posts) -

" Still rinse my mouth with water and a tiny bit of Listerine prior so I'm not eating all the bacteria that's been breeding in my mouth while I sleep.

This

#56 Posted by Capum15 (4573 posts) -

About 30-60 minutes after. Usually the hour.

#57 Posted by audioBusting (1317 posts) -

I usually eat breakfast, take a shower, and then brush my teeth. That way I'll have 15-20 minutes in between.

#58 Posted by Zacagawea (1569 posts) -

For the majority of my life I've solved this problem by never eating breakfast

#59 Posted by supamon (1328 posts) -

I now see that this forum is full of insane people. You're suppose to brush your teeth before eating to get rid of the bacteria buildup in your mouth that happens over night. I have never heard any dentist say "be sure to eat first before you brush!", it has always been BRUSH before you EAT.

#60 Posted by Schmollian (251 posts) -

No breakfast.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

#61 Posted by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

I don't normally eat breakfast. Problem solved.

#62 Posted by falserelic (4954 posts) -

Fuck that I rather brush after. I don't want to ruin my meal with a mint aftertaste. That ruins the fun and smooth breakfast flavor. I want to be able to enjoy the bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns or whatever the fuck in its full glory. Same goes for cereal I love fruit loops, and if I tasted mint in my milk I'll be PISSED!

#63 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Bacteria spends all night breeding in your mouth. Swallowing it before you take a toothbrush to your mouth seems counterproductive to the very idea of brushing at all.

#64 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Where's the "I don't eat breakfast" option?

Where's the "Toothpaste is my breakfast" option?

#65 Posted by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) -

I have heard (I have no evidence to back this up, help me out before-brushing duders) that brushing before is a better option because A. It doesn't wear your teeth down as much (from acidic foods n all that), and B. because then less food sticks to your teeth than if you brush after eating, and that if you brush after eating you end up leaving more food on your teeth than if you brushed before you ate cuz it sticks to the plaque n bacteria from the night before.

Just what I heard. I brush before!

#66 Edited by afrofools (1295 posts) -

@harkat said:

Your teet get dirty from eating food, idiots. So you brush AFTERWARDS.

Always brush your teets after eating, people.

#67 Posted by Sergio (1774 posts) -

Before breakfast. I brush them after I wake up at 6:30 because I end up eating breakfast anywhere between 8:00 and 9:00.

#68 Edited by Sinusoidal (1156 posts) -

I don't brush in the morning. I brush once a day before bed. Some might think that gross, well, I haven't had a cavity in twenty years, and the dentists always ooh and aah at my strong, healthy teeth.

#69 Edited by Zero_ (1970 posts) -

Holy Shit over half of you guys are monsters. Do those who brush after eating just swallow all that gunk that has built up over the night in your sleep? Sure I brush just before bed as well, but no way in hell I'm eating before all of that shit is out of my mouth.

#70 Edited by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

You brush after because the point of brushing is to eliminate plaque, not give it a clean area to take residence in. Honestly, you should brush every time after eating. If you're not snacking every five minutes, that's 4-5 times a day, tops.

PS: And obliviously you don't run to the Bathroom immediately after eating. You wait about an hour so that the acids have left the mouth. I guess it depends on how you live your life, as well. I get up 2-3 hours before I go to work, so I have plenty of time to eat breakfast, brush my teeth, and do other activities. I'm not immediately socializing with others out in the world, so feeling obligated to brush my teeth as soon as I wake up isn't that much of a concern. However, for the love of God, people, brush your teeth before you go to bed. It's a lot easier to remember that necessity than it is when you're lumbering around in the morning.

#71 Edited by probablytuna (3446 posts) -

I was taught to do it as soon as I wake up. Then after I had breakfast and a glass of milk my breath stinks so then I thought, "Why the fuck do I brush my teeth before breakfast? Makes no sense." So now I do it after.

#72 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

After. What kind of insane person brushes and then goes and eats breakfast!? It's like jumping in the shower with your clothes on!

#73 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

Before and then wait ten minutes to eat, I can use the ten minutes to get clothes on and stuff so I'm ready to go as soon as I've finished eating.

#74 Posted by Twinsun (462 posts) -

My father is a dentist, and he says to brush before breakfast

#75 Posted by armaan8014 (5258 posts) -

@icemo said:

"Brush your teeth for at least two minutes in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed.

Never brush your teeth straight after a meal as it can damage your teeth, especially if you've had fruit, fizzy drinks, wine or any other food that contains acid.

This is because tooth enamel is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid."

End of discussion.

+1

#76 Edited by PolygonSlayer (416 posts) -

A dentist told me once that you are better to brush before eating. The reason being (as far as I remember) that while you sleep the remains on your teeth hardens and cracks so that when you brush they easy "crumble" and fall off, while having food usually lead to a built up layer of food and often various types of acidics that make it harder for the remains from before to come off.

Not 100% how it works and all, I'm no dentist or anything, but it's been working well for me for a long time now.
Oh, and after I have had breakfast I usually have a chewing gum to clear my mouth.

#77 Edited by notdavid (761 posts) -

After. I don't like residual toothpaste making my food taste shitty, and I like to get said food out of my mouth before I leave the house for work.

#78 Posted by sub_o (652 posts) -

After coffee but before breakfast.

#79 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

Definitely after. You kind of cancel out some of the intended effect by brushing then eating.

#80 Posted by James_ex_machina (896 posts) -

After makes more sense, but some mornings I just want to brush my teeth as soon as I wake up. Occasionally, you have some junk food right before bed or something to drink. After waking up I just want fresh breath.

#81 Edited by Slaegar (628 posts) -

Technically its always both. Since you will have always brushed some time after eating your breakfast as well as before the next time. Unless you have only eaten breakfast once ever.

Also you guys are really paranoid and eat too much.

#82 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

Where's the "I don't eat breakfast" option?

Back in the alley where people like you belong!

#83 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

During breakfast.

Although brushing your teeth with maple syrup might not be a great idea.

#84 Posted by maverick1 (87 posts) -

after but you wait a half an hour to brush your teeth so that the acid from the food you eat goes away from your mouth.

#85 Edited by Bruksberry (6 posts) -

At minimum, after, at best, both.

Brushing is to get rid of food from your teeth, so only doing it before is...ridiculous.

Brushing before is just to get rid of morning breath.

#86 Posted by LikeaSsur (1432 posts) -

If you brush your teeth before breakfast, you get rid of all the bacteria, but your breakfast will taste weird.

If you brush your teeth after breakfast, you get rid of the junk that built up during breakfast AND the bacteria that's built up over night.

There really is no reason to brush your teeth before breakfast.

#87 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

You should brush before eating. The shit builds on other shit, if its got nothing to build on then its better for you.

But hey, you cants can carry on spouting your illogical shit, its up to you.

#88 Posted by LordAndrew (14001 posts) -

My uncle's nephew works for Nintendo, and he says to brush after eating. I don't give a shit what your dental technician says; they make money from sabotaging your teeth.

#89 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

After. Brushing before seems weird, it would be like having a shower before rolling in the mud to keep clean.

#90 Posted by thevisitor451 (13 posts) -

Always before. I hate the taste I have in my mouth each morning when I wake up, so i don't want to eat until my mouth feels fresh.

#91 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3032 posts) -

After because I'd rather my eggs didn't taste like mint.

#92 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

All the after folks need to read up on what's best for their teeth before treating us correct folks as second class citizens.

#93 Posted by pamelastoledo (2 posts) -

I brush my teeth in the morning before breakfast and before going to sleep at night.

#94 Posted by Flacracker (1394 posts) -

I don't really eat breakfast but when I do it is after I get out of the shower and all that stuff. So while I am in the bathroom I brush my teeth which is before breakfast.

#95 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Why would it be better to do it before. The whole point of brushing your teeth in the morning is to get rid of the crap on your teeth from breakfast. Doing it before makes absolutely no sense.

No, the point is to get rid of all the shit between your teeth that has gathered in your mouth from the night. But it's still better after, of course.

#96 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

I can deal with the midly minty flavor of my toothpaste if I brush before breakfast (and, honestly, it's mostly gone by the time I'm done toasting my toasts and coffeing my coffee). But eating with my mouth all musty and bad-breathy from sleeping all night? Gross.

#97 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

@zero_ said:

Holy Shit over half of you guys are monsters. Do those who brush after eating just swallow all that gunk that has built up over the night in your sleep? Sure I brush just before bed as well, but no way in hell I'm eating before all of that shit is out of my mouth.

Like slime? That sounds nasty man. I don't have that but I remember Ryan talking about how sometimes his mouth was glued together with gunk in the morning.

#98 Posted by Creigz (180 posts) -

I tend to do it before. That being said I have about a half hour before I eat or drink coffee anyway.

#99 Posted by bybeach (4614 posts) -

After. perhaps a swish of mouth wash when waking up if your mouth comes off foul. Not too often for me, I understand it's a bacterium that goes to town during the night.

#100 Posted by TheHBK (5409 posts) -

Eating breakfast at home, you brush after.

Eating breakfast out, brush before.