Building a new PC

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coreymw

I decided today that I’m going to build a new PC. I’ve got my parts list figured out I think, but I’m going to post it here to get feedback. If you want to add helpful advice or ridicule me, please feel free. Look at me giving you permission to ridicule me on the internet. Anyway, the parts are below.

This PC is only going to cost me $313 as I just sold an old laptop and already have a 600 watt power supply from a recent build and already own a case. I have a 2.5” HDD I just bought that I’m using. This PC is for medium gaming. I play a lot of indie games and some AAA stuff like Bioshock, Skyrim, and on occasion Battlefield. I don’t care if things are at their prettiest, so long as I can get them looking decent and running well.

Intel i5-2500k CPU

4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw ram (will upgrade to 8gb later)

EVGA GTX 550 TI

Asus P8Z68 motherboard

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

Get a 560 Ti. Don't waste your time with the 550; you'll just end up needing to upgrade sooner, and the AAA titles might stutter a bit if you attempt to max them.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Your build is basically the same as mine, except I have a 560 Ti, and 8 GB of ram.  The 560 is better than a 550 (which I used to have, before upgrading), and since it's more powerful than the 550, more future-proof for up coming games. 
My advice: Your build is good, but pay a bit extra and get the 560.

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TzarStefan

Get the Asrock motherboard it's 10$ more but it's x10 better. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 GEN 3. It's stable unlike Asus motherboards. Also dont get the 550gtx get the 560ti or wait for 7850. but if you want a cheap graphics card i would take either 6850 or 6770.

And pick Corsair Vengeance instead of ripjaw.

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripsaw117

@Aus_azn said:

Get a 560 Ti. Don't waste your time with the 550; you'll just end up needing to upgrade sooner, and the AAA titles might stutter a bit if you attempt to max them.

^this to the max or if your feeling adventurous/ have the money a 570 is beast too

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Unless you are getting the i5-2500k at a discount, there is no reason for getting it without an aftermarket CPU air cooler to overclock. If you're going to stick with the 2500k, then get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I recently put all the components of the monster PC I want to build into a cart in Amazon, and it came about $2,000. I probably shouldn't buy it until after I get my next semester paid off... but damn is it gonna be amazing.