So I need a laptop for college, and i've found myself completely lost. There are a ton of brands with a huge selection of laptops and a million different sites saying different things about which one you should get. (I'm starting to miss Tested.coms tech reviews.) I was hoping some GB duders could point me in the right direction.
- I'm fortunate enough to have most of my other college expenses covered so I can splurge a bit on a laptop. But it should be less than $1,200 or so.
- I pretty much need it for schoolwork, and for the internet (particularly Giant Bomb, so it should be able to play 720p videos smoothly, i don't even know if laptops have problems with that nowdays but who knows), i really don't need to be playing the latest games on it.
- Screen should be <15 inches. I kinda feel like 15 inches is a bit too big to be carrying around so if anyone could vouch for that being a manageable screen size i'd appreciate it.
- I've been spoiled by having an i-7 desktop which makes doing a dozen things at once a breeze, I'd like that in a laptop but with that comes alot of extra heat, noise, cost and a decreased battery life. Is it worth it?
- I've always used a PC, but Mac Books are very popular (And much more expensive) maybe it would be worth it to reach for one? My school says you can use either but most students use PC.
- Is there a PC brand I should go for? My family has always used Dell and i've liked them but i hear inconsistent things about their reliability, and my brother has had two dell laptops die on him while my other relatives have had theirs for years (I just think he's bad with computers)
- If I get PC, should I be prepared to buy windows 8 when it comes out?
- I don't plan on doing video editing/music editing in college.
I don't know if that's enough to go on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, maybe a brand to look into or a particular product you've had a good experience with. Thanks!