buying off brand TV

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

So I have been looking at buying a new tv, I don't want o spend lots of money so I've been looking at off brand, mostly from walmart tvs.

Cielo T3E46S1F 46" 1080p 60Hz 3D LED LCD HDTV

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cielo-T3E46S1F-46-1080p-60Hz-3D-LED-LCD-HDTV/27126881

this is the current tv I'm looking at getting, It's 46 inches 1080p 60 hz LCD has 3 hdmi ports and only costs $340, even with added 3 year service plan tax and shipping total under $400. It says 3D too, but I could care less about that. Looking at reviews it seems like most of the people who have big problems with this tv are people who did something stupid themselves. Just wondering what other people know or think about Cielo, never heard of company, or the idea of getting cheap off brand tv.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

been reading stuff about 60hz vs 120hz, I think I have only confused myself more. any thoughts would be grateful.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I mean, for the price you will have to make compromises. Your best hope is that it lasts 5+ years.

60htz vs 120htz is just market speak.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By reisz

If you're worried try and find where the panel came from. Any off brand TV is just a big screen manufacturer that packages the yields that don't meet spec for Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp etc, and sells them to no-name brands at a discount so that the expectation of a top tier experience doesn't come with the name.

I have a 40 inch Dynex in my bedroom that looks like a panel twice it's price. Part of the price cut comes from the poorer quality of things like support, UI refinement and accessories but if all you want is a nice big TV, off brand is definitely worth it.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with only a few years of use, its really my second tv. Currently I have 10+year old sony 32inch. In the next few years after PS4 I would be looking for new main tv. Basically its tv now or PS4, and I figure I get tv now while I'm getting good deal and than get Ps4 next year.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Whamola

Unless you absolutely HAVE to have it now, I would wait until after new years when all the new models are coming out.

I was able to get a really nice 50" name brand TV for something like four hundred doing it that way.