Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

A.K.A. The Dangers of Disposable Income

A.K.A. The Manchild thread

A.K.A. Why isn't Macaulay Culkin dead

When Home Alone came out, I always wanted a Talkboy.

You remember the Talkboy, right? "Hi kids, we're home early!"

It worked so well, it could fool just about anyone.

Well, thanks to the internet, I can have one almost instantly.

No Caption Provided

Of course, this is the definition of useless crap. What am I going to do with this? I don't even own a single cassette tape! I can get one for 10 bucks on eBay, a fairly trivial cost, but "responsible spending" looms in my head as something an adult should always have in mind.

But still, I am tempted to buy one just to fulfill that childhood urge. Put it on a shelf as a trophy dedicated to the manchild urge, and a touchstone for nostalgia.

What did you want so badly as a kid and never got, that you can now buy? Do you think you'll ever own one?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By damodar

This is Peter McCallister. The faaaather.

Ummm I think about the dumb stuff that I own that could fit in to the category of dumb things an adult probably shouldn't own and a lot of it is stuff that I didn't actually buy, but were given to me as gifts. Stuff like my replica of Connor's Clan MacLeod broadsword from Highlander or a giant Nerf rifle, stuff like that.

I guess younger me would be pretty impressed with my vintage japanese game collection. Or just my game and console collection in general. Takes up a lot of space...

I dunno, I have a lot of manchildy things. There are so many guitars in this room right now and so many more throughout the house.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I just got back from buying thousands of pogs at Hobby Lobby. They're not as cool as I thought they'd be....

:(

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: I still have a soft spot for nerf. A rubbermade storage tub full of guns that I find here or there.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There was a recent Kickstarter for a Robotech/Macross miniatures game. Considering Robotech was a formative series from my childhood and considering I had just gotten my tax refund check, let's just say I might have overspent...

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really want stuff as a kid and that continues as an adult. I did want a motorbike actually, which I got and crashed the next day, completely losing interest in motorbikes as a consequence. Oh and I guess I wanted to marry Superman, but he died. I've learned my lesson.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

The Japanese cards at the card shop always looked way cooler... I've got the whole base set now. Don't even read Japanese, just like having them around.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I bought a SNES last week. I wanted one for over 15 years. I had a Sega Megadrive and loved it, but the look of the Europe SNES was way better. Those colours!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I was little like baby little till about 13 I had this stuffed cat. Sadly I lost it in a move. If I ever find it in stores I will damn sure buy it no matter the price.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I would never of owned this particular figure as a kid, but I did always wanted to collect certain series of figures.

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Pretty soon I'm going to buy a Saturn because I always wanted to play the Landstalker sequel. I'm going to be so disappointed.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm pretty sure I had a Talkboy as a kid. Weirdly enough I was thinking about buying some cassettes and a Walkman a couple of weeks ago. I managed to resist though.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cloudymusic

Some of the more over-the-top Super Soakers. I commonly used some pretty big ones, but every once in a while, you'd go to some kid's house that had some sort of even bigger, crazier gun.

No Caption Provided

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid I never really wanted anything that was totally impossible to get. Probably a Teddy Ruxpin, but I got over that quickly. My mom and dad managed to get me a Cabbage Patch doll and for video games we had an ATari 2600 when I was a kid and a Commodore 64, so I had just about all the games I could handle.

I did however lose something that I got when I was 6 years old and I kind of wish I still had it. This is it, prepare to feel your estrogen levels rise exponentially!

No Caption Provided

I had a purple horse, this is the exact brand and I think this is the exact color scheme (though my memory may be a bit fuzzy on that) of my horse. Funny thing is, I didn't even dig horses all that much when I was a kid, I was more into coveting my brother's GI Joes. A friend gave it to me for my birthday and I loved it. Years later it fell off of a shelf and the front leg broke off. I couldn't fix it, so it was thrown away. Now I kind of wish I had one. They are on ebay, but the color schemes are just not right for the ones that are posted. Oh well.

Most of the games I wanted as a kind I have since gotten in other forms (Eshop etc) so I'm pretty content. But that damn horse is still on my brain, wtf.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Still a big PR fan

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cale said:

I didn't really want stuff as a kid and that continues as an adult. I did want a motorbike actually, which I got and crashed the next day, completely losing interest in motorbikes as a consequence. Oh and I guess I wanted to marry Superman, but he died. I've learned my lesson.

I didn't either. I mean, I wanted video games and books and occasionally movies, but I wasn't clamoring for toys, trinkets, and other useless doo-dads.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Higher Kickstarter tiers are sort of this exact thing for me. I've got some sick but ultimately meaningless posters and art books coming.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I got a Talkboy for Christmas when I was 4, when they were all the rage. That may have been my most used toy ever. I kept it for probably 5 or 6 years and used it all the time. Man, that thing was awesome.

I remember my brother and I recreating the scene at the beginning of Home Alone 2 where Kevin is taping his uncle singing in the shower. My brother took about 8 showers that day, haha. I ended up slamming the bathroom door so hard that the fluorescent light fixture cover fell off the ceiling.

I don't buy any of my childhood toys these days. Though if I found some place that sold pogs, I might have to reconsider...

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid, I always wanted one of those stupid drive-able toy cars that my friends had, but I never got one. I doubt I could really fit in one today... :(

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Grand Theft Auto was it for me. Always wanted to play it, but my parents were significantly less than enthusiastic about the concept. Finally picked all of the main polygonal titles on Steam two years ago, but with all the other amazing open world games I had gotten around to playing in the decade or so since I was first enamored with the idea of GTA, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by how archaic they all felt (with the exception of San Andreas, which has somehow managed to hold up better than IV).

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

This is pretty much the exact reason why there's a four-slot Neo Geo MVS cabinet in my living room.

I'd also like to add, without the slightest hint of irony, that as someone who also would have killed for a Talkboy growing up that I'm kind of jealous you got one and I never thought to.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

When I had money for the first time, my first thought was "OH MAN I COULD BUY ALL THE LEGO(S)!", and left the store really disappointed that the expensive lego I wanted as a kid is still expensive as an adult. 500 bucks is 500 bucks I guess...

I guess this manchildness of mine manifests in the ability to buy consoles on a whim... it's so great. I got a Wii U last weekend and I'm seriously considering getting a Sega Saturn this weekend.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year I spent a few hundred dollars on SNES stuff. I think I would be really impressed at all the games I have now as an adult.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JouselDelka

As a PC gamer growing up, my PC not being able to run a game was a very common and frustrating occurrence. Install San Andreas, double click the desktop icon, MESSAGE; Your video card is a cheap prostitute. My most memorable incident because it ruined me back then.

That went on for about 10 years for me as a child, until 2007 when I got my first beefy gaming PC, followed by an upgrade in 2011, and I'll keep upgrading every few years. And since then I've been able to run EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING THAT EXISTS ON THE PC IN THE WORLD, RUNS ON MY COMPUTER WHENEVER I WISH.

IT WILL REMAIN THIS WAY UNTIL I FUCKING DIE, YOU HEAR? I. WILL. RUN. EVERYTHING.

That's all I really wanted as a kid, to get a game, install it on my PC and then play it. That has been my reality since I started making money, I love it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By psylah

@jasonr86: I am collecting older consoles, and I don't know if I want a Saturn. Never really had any urge to have one in the past, I'd just have it to fill out the ranks. But that leads me down the dark road towards buying a Jaguar, and a 3DO, and a 7200. I don't want that.

@gokaired: I wanted one of the green ranger's dagger / flutes. I saw one in a second-hand shop and nearly bought it, before I realized that I was going to catch something from whatever kid used it last.

@random45: I had one of those. In my current age I realize I was pretty spoiled as a kid (but not bratty), and that the things I wanted that I did get far outnumber the things I did not. P.S.: It's not too late.

@keres: You should see some of the Super Soakers Hasbro is making now. Cannons. Literal cannons.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does buying a nice bed count? When I was in middle school, there was around a year or so that I slept on a cot.

Seriously, though. Most of the things that I get now that I wanted as a kid are just art supplies, or a nicer computer, or a nicer violin, or my nice headphones, or more video games, or clothes that actually fit, none of which are really kid-specific. I did buy a couple of Lego sets after getting a job, but that's about it.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SomberOwl

M Rated games. I don't need an adults consent anymore.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently purchased an exact replica of the colourful lenticular hat Marty Mclfly wears at the begining of Back to the Future 2, purely on impulse. And it's fucking awesome and I don't regret it for a second.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: Do it... get all the 90s console failures.

Then again I say this as someone who loves collecting odd, failed tech from beta to minidisc to HD-DVDs. Although I use beta tapes at work, so... I guess you lose the 80s VHS war, but win the post-production war for life?

I just remembered something else, I always had shit stereos growing up and lived in jealousy of my dad's speaker system, but now I have all the power and bought my own hi-fi. After Jeff mentioned those old school bass tapes on the bombcast I've been putting on whatever I can find. That music has such devastating bass that they don't even show up on headphones.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

I always wanted a mini-bike. I could have even gotten one, but I was too tight fisted with my own money. And, probably if I bought it I would not have ridden it as much as I would have thought...probably would have wasted my money.

This question reminds me of the movie, 'Milk Money'. In the movies a kid saves up his money to see a 'naked lady', but ends up buying a prostitute for his father to marry. Oh, they don't make movies like that anymore.

Today....hmmm...I want to buy one of those Big Wheels made for adults.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm still catching up on the video games I never got play as a kid, but wanted to(Mostly Snes games). Other than that, I bought all of Batman TAS and rewatched it.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HerbieBug
No Caption Provided

I suppose I could buy one of these now. But I have no place to store it. And I don't think it would make me happy. More bitter, probably. Here is the thing I always wanted but could never have because my parents were bad with money and always managed to piss away what little money they did have and because of that I had to wear used clothing bought from the salvation army and the only pedal powered thing I had was a decade old bicycle bought for five dollars at a neighbour's garage sale. And somebody stole that bike, too. :/

I always wanted a mini-bike. I could have even gotten one, but I was too tight fisted with my own money. And, probably if I bought it I would not have ridden it as much as I would have thought...probably would have wasted my money.

One of my asshole rich childhood "friends" had a mini-bike. Did he ever let me ride it? Fuck no. Bastard.

I'm sorry. I'm in a shitty mood today.

UnlimitedSheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um, I'm just really excited that I get to buy fun notebooks and folders with exciting pictures on them now that I'm in college. You know, the ones that are like $2 and all fancy, but that I was never allowed to get in elementary-high school because it's silly to spend that when I could get just as effective ones for 15 cents.

It's so worth it.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, man! I remember the talkboy! I got this version for christmas, when I was around 8 (I think). I also remember being upset that mine was pink, because I really wanted one that looked like the one in the movie. I eventually got over it, and did all the dumb recordings I could.

No Caption Provided

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

i was a spoiled little shit as a kid so i had already gotten this but it got lost in the shuffle of life :( so wouldn't mind having one again. only problem is i don't really have $400+ lying around to blow on it at the moment.

if i ever do it's going into my cubicle at work. :|

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Videogames aside, I always wanted to watch The Transformers, since I saw Transformers The Movie (the 80s animation one) on SkyTV at my grandma's place as a wee little boy. At some point in my twenties I acquired the entire first Transformers TV run on DVD. That's some hot fucking trash man. Was like killing my childhood.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By rachelepithet

@gokaired: Oh I had that one, it was the green rangers version, a for its time like "replica" metal one not a plastic toy, some boardwalk skateboard shop had one for like $200 ($350? in todays money) and I almost convinced parent to buy.

----------

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

As a PC gamer growing up, my PC not being able to run a game was a very common and frustrating occurrence. Install San Andreas, double click the desktop icon, MESSAGE; Your video card is a cheap prostitute. My most memorable incident because it ruined me back then.

That went on for about 10 years for me as a child, until 2007 when I got my first beefy gaming PC, followed by an upgrade in 2011, and I'll keep upgrading every few years. And since then I've been able to run EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING THAT EXISTS ON THE PC IN THE WORLD, RUNS ON MY COMPUTER WHENEVER I WISH.

IT WILL REMAIN THIS WAY UNTIL I FUCKING DIE, YOU HEAR? I. WILL. RUN. EVERYTHING.

That's all I really wanted as a kid, to get a game, install it on my PC and then play it. That has been my reality since I started making money, I love it.

Reminds me of writing custom boot disks to run the latest adventure games. I had no idea what I was doing. I just fiddled around with the code until it somehow amounted to enough free ram to run the game. I had the worst of times getting that piece of shit EcoQuest to run.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jouseldelka: I think you've nailed it. Nothing would break your heart as a kid faster than being unable to run the game you just worked your arse off for :(

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I wasn't really very ambitious in my wants as a real child. Just getting something surprising or cool was fun on its own. And I got hell of video games on the side. So win-win.

Now if we are talking of my wants as a manchild... :D

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I periodically dabble with the idea of buying this:

No Caption Provided

Over 5000 pieces, 311 page instruction manual, days to assemble.. Fuck yeah! Too bad they're going for upwards of $3000 these days. Why oh why didn't I get one back when they were a mere $500?!?

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I periodically dabble with the idea of buying this:

No Caption Provided

Over 5000 pieces, 311 page instruction manual, days to assemble.. Fuck yeah! Too bad they're going for upwards of $3000 these days. Why oh why didn't I get one back when they were a mere $500?!?

Lego is a better investment than real investments.

gorydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a child I always wanted a RC Helicopter...now as an adult I have a small RC Helicopter...now I want a gas powered RC helicopter. I guess I will never grow old.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I walk by those absolutely massive nerf guns in stores, the inner-kid begins to have a hissy fit as the inner-adult tells him 'maybe for christmas' and walks away.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Unless it's every Vagrant Story copy ever I don't really care about collecting things o.O

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By falserelic

@psylah said:

A.K.A. The Dangers of Disposable Income

A.K.A. The Manchild thread

A.K.A. Why isn't Macaulay Culkin dead

When Home Alone came out, I always wanted a Talkboy.

You remember the Talkboy, right? "Hi kids, we're home early!"

It worked so well, it could fool just about anyone.

Well, thanks to the internet, I can have one almost instantly.

No Caption Provided

Of course, this is the definition of useless crap. What am I going to do with this? I don't even own a single cassette tape! I can get one for 10 bucks on eBay, a fairly trivial cost, but "responsible spending" looms in my head as something an adult should always have in mind.

But still, I am tempted to buy one just to fulfill that childhood urge. Put it on a shelf as a trophy dedicated to the manchild urge, and a touchstone for nostalgia.

What did you want so badly as a kid and never got, that you can now buy? Do you think you'll ever own one?

Wow haven't seen that in years.

I actually use to have one of those when I was a kid. I've completely forgot about that thing.

kurtkless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kurtkless

thanks, you just sent me down an hour long rabbit hole of looking at GI JOE on ebay.... What would my wife do if I bought a thousand dollar USS Flagg?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she would probably throw a Flagg on that play

lmao

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You're an adult now. Fly that flag and buy whatever the fuck it is that you want.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By bacongames

I don't think I'm quite at that point yet because I'll probably indulge this when I have kids of my own. As a way to revisit that stuff and make sure that some of the shit they consume is worthwhile, I'll get into buying DVD's and Lego's galore.