• 98 results
#1 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Just got back from the Cabin in The Woods first night in theaters (I believe) and it has become quite late so I'll keep this short.

Go see this movie.

It's fantastic and throws a curve into every horror stereotype on the market. This may just be the game changer the genre has needed (american anyway) for quite a while.

To those you saw it tonight feel free to leave your thoughts I'll be happy to read them.

#2 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Man, after seeing the trailer I thought this looked REALLY shitty, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I will probably grab up some friends and go see this tomorrow night.

#3 Posted by PaulRevere (207 posts) -

Just saw it tonight as well.

It was absolutely amazing. I can't recommend it enough.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Is it the adaptation of the Skyrim book?

#5 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

I'll hopefully see it Monday, can't wait.

#6 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -

scary movies scare me

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

This is a surprise. I was just reading how this film has been lying around since 2009 and they finally decided to release it. I'll have to go check it out.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

This looked interesting from the trailers. I'll probably rent it because going to horror movies in theaters is a fucking nightmare. Fucking 13 year olds sneaking in laughing at everything.

#9 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

I am really surprised with all the buzz this is getting. The trailer didn't look great at all but I guess I will have to check it out now.

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

I saw it at a matinee and thought it was pretty insane; it reminded me of a Shin Megami Tensei game near the end. I liked it, though I may have missed some of the more subtle intricacies of the movie since I'm not a big fan of the horror genre (but I have knowledge of the obvious tropes). Definitely more funny than scary, and I particularly loved the one scene where everything is "let loose".

#11 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -

@hoossy said:

scary movies scare me

It's not scary, though. It's hilarious.

#12 Edited by Yummylee (21761 posts) -

Oh man, can't wait to see what Alex/Rorie have to say about this on scr-oh... well, shit =( I'm sure Rorie will post something on that blog of his, especially since he's a fan of Whedon's work.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Damn, I was predicting that it was gonna suck....  

#14 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Wait... a well written horror movie? Are we back in the 80's again????

#15 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

really? from the trailer it looked pretty bad. i think the trailer looks stupid, people go to a cabin and people are spying on them. they push buttons that make the cabin do stuff.

#16 Posted by wemibelec90 (1700 posts) -

I can't wait to go see it (and plan to in the next few days). When I saw that Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard were writing a horror movie, I knew I'd have to go see, even though I very much dislike horror movies. I just knew that they would throw their own spins on genre tropes and I'm glad to hear from so many people that it seemed to turn out well.

#17 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3168 posts) -

From the trailer it just looked like some horror movie. I love horror movies so I'll definitely go see but now I REALLY want to see it after hearing about it.

#18 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

@iam3green said:

really? from the trailer it looked pretty bad. i think the trailer looks stupid, people go to a cabin and people are spying on them. they push buttons that make the cabin do stuff.

That is why the tagline for the movie is "You think you know the story".

It is much more than that. And it is terrific.

#19 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2011 posts) -

Wow, the trailer looked like it literally gave every "curveball" away.

I just hope you people aren't talking about the bad kind of curveballs. Might have to actually check this one out.

#20 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i thought this was going to be shit but it has got a lot of good buzz that i will see it soon

#21 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I'm pretending I really want to see this so I don't have to watch Titanic. Hopefully it's better than Titanic.

#22 Edited by Milkman (16845 posts) -

Just got back from this. If you don't see and enjoy this movie, we can't be friends. So damn good. 

#23 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I saw this instead of seeing Bully. Am I a bad person?

#24 Posted by Brians (1464 posts) -
@Yanngc33 Nope
Not every human enjoys things from the feel bad genre aka media designed to make its consumer deliberately feel bad like Things Fall Apart or Bully. Digression aside good movie said by a non horror fan.
#25 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

Holy fuckballs is this a great flick. I thought the trailer gave everything away. THE TRAILER GIVES NOTHING AWAY OH GOD.

#26 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

What did I say 4 months ago? You'll never know!

#27 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Honestly, i thought the movie was great. Really really strange, but still good.

#28 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Now I know why that title sounded so familiar, thanks.

I have no interest in horror movies though.

#29 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Now I know why that title sounded so familiar, thanks.

I have no interest in horror movies though.

What I told you it was only sorta horror? ;)

#30 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I saw it at a matinee and thought it was pretty insane; it reminded me of a Shin Megami Tensei game near the end.

Literally all I needed.

#31 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

@iam3green said:

It is really more then that. It impossible to say more about the film without giving good stuff away. Just know it is more then you think, it is extremely well done, and I was laughing my ass off. If you hate shitty horror movies that follow the formula of "Young group of friends go to isolated location for thrills, sex, and booze, but stumble upon *insert random horror idea here*. Who will survive?", then you will love this.

#32 Edited by Yummylee (21761 posts) -

Anyone read the screened review for it? Nasty stuff... by which I mean the review, not the comments. The reaction is totally just, and it's frankly kinda depressing to see what that site has devolved into. It needs to have a face people can resonate with, someone who can represent the site a little more than with a load of text.

#33 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I think I might go see this tomorrow, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

#34 Edited by VincentLonga (66 posts) -

Just saw it, and 2 thumbs up! MINOR SPOILER ALERT:

I would have enjoyed a bit more depth or exposition about the "company" that was running the cabin, though. Or maybe another twist that there were other people running the company itself, sort of a 3 tier thing. That way, when the shit hit the fan, there would be another group of people to cut to who were REALLY running things :)

#35 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Yeah it is a horrible situation/review. That kind of shit goes against what the site is about, and if they keep that up I will not be going there much longer.

#36 Posted by suikoden352 (425 posts) -

i guess i'm going to be in the minority that thinks that movie was too hokey for its own good and ended up just not being all that good. that's just me though =/. i guess seeing all the hype after people came out and said it was amazing beyond words or whatnot set my expectations higher than they should have been. idk

#37 Posted by XanderCrews (106 posts) -

Saw it yesterday, and I thought it was great.

#38 Posted by Xeirus (1306 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I saw it at a matinee and thought it was pretty insane; it reminded me of a Shin Megami Tensei game near the end.

Literally all I needed.

Even that is sort of a spoiler. I hadn't even seen the trailer when I went to go see it and man did that make the movie go 10 times further.

MovieBob on the escapist is the only reviewer you need, screened is garbage now :(

#39 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

The trailer is so ridiculously deceiving. Go in with as little knowledge of what it is all about as possible, and you're bound to enjoy it.

#40 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1056 posts) -

Just saw it and i would definitely recommend people go see it. I would compare it to something like Evil Dead, Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead, but it hits the notes a little differently then your normal satire movie.

#41 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3168 posts) -

This excites me.

#42 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Anyone read the screened review for it? Nasty stuff... by which I mean the review, not the comments. The reaction is totally just, and it's frankly kinda depressing to see what that site has devolved into. It needs to have a face people can resonate with, someone who can represent the site a little more than with a load of text.

And holy shit, there's like 50 links in that one review. And a link at the end that takes you to another fucking website, as if to say 'get away from Screened and meet us over here'.

#43 Edited by MC_Hify (338 posts) -

I just got back from seeing it, it's great. You can see the Joss Whedon touch all over it, with the well-written characters and humor. It has a few of the same ideas in it that Angel had. Closest thing I could compare it to would be Cube, there's one shot that's kind of a homage to Cube in my opinion.

#44 Edited by RetroVirus (1476 posts) -

Such a good movie. I love the ending.

#45 Edited by Quarters (1719 posts) -

*shrug*

It was okay.

Look, it was really funny, and it had clever stuff in it, but it utterly failed as a horror movie. It was just a borderline parody. I'd rather have something like Scream, which deconstructs the genre, but actually functions as a great horror movie in and of itself. This is just...funny. That's it. Characters slip into cliche before you can like them, and some of the plot threads just have odd resolutions(black dude, anyone?). I think it's seriously getting overrated by the fan community. Again, didn't think it was bad, just not anything special. Also, though the final battle was great, I hated what the rest of the movie focused on in comparison. When I saw the possibilities, it just made me go "Really? We could've spent the entire movie with something like this, and instead you chose that?"

And judging by the reactions from the people in our theater(all ten or fifteen of them), I think this is going to bomb with regular audiences. I heard some random dude around me said it was one of the stupidest movies he had ever seen. Fans will get it, but casual people will be straight up baffled by it. Curious to see what the numbers end up being.

#46 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

You guys are making me hate the fact that I wait for movies to come out on tv/ondemand before watching them. I really hate movie theaters with a burning passion of a thousand passion fruits. I'm always the guy that gets stuck with the asshole behind me kicking my seat. The person in front of me checking their phone through the whole movie. And somewhere in the front row is a woman with her crying baby. I've never had a good theater experience because people these days have no consideration for anybody but themselves.

Having said that, I look forward to watching this movie when I get the chance.

#47 Posted by Yummylee (21761 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Abyssfull said:

And holy shit, there's like 50 links in that one review. And a link at the end that takes you to another fucking website, as if to say 'get away from Screened and meet us over here'.

Indeedly. It's all just so super tacky and poorly written; there are user reviews for the movie on there that would of been more deserving.

#48 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

Just got back- that shit was fucking great- five puppies... :-(

#49 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

Oh man, that was so great. Can't reccommend it enough. The less you know about it the better it is, so just ignore all coverage, reviews and trailers and go see.

#50 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I want to go see it.