Calling all sports fans!

• 66 results
mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I know the staff talks a lot about wrestling and Drew and Danny at GS like F1, but I was curious if there are any other duders who like American football, basketball, or baseball?

I'm a pretty big fan of college football, the NFL, and the NBA, and I always get a kick out of watching NBA 2K quick looks or Madden quick looks when the guys try really hard to show even a little interest in a sports game even though they really couldn't care less. And I know Patrick talks about the Bears a little bit here and there on Bombin' and the bombcast. I thought maybe there was a sports forum post but didn't find one when I searched.

So does anyone else like these things? Or is it pretty much wrestling and F1? Or maybe hockey fans out there?

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have some faint interest in ice hockey, but I'm generally not much into American sports.

The stuff I follow regularly is MotoGP in all three classes, Snooker and Wintersports, mainly Alpine Ski, Biathlon and Snowboard stuff whenever it's shown on TV here, which sadly isn't that often since Germany is very much a Skiing country.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

There's a handegg thread and I think there was a football thread during the World Cup.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is an NFL thread buried somewhere that pops back up whenever anything big happens

I enjoy basically every sport to the point that I'm down a rabbit of getting into stuff like pro darts and Aussie Rules Football. Basically anything I can access.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

There's an NFL discussion thread if you're interested.

I love baseball and both professional and college football. I've gotten into basketball and hockey but it's usually for only a month or two.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

In addition to Wrestling, F1 and Football (Soccer) -

• I play Badminton 3 times a week
  • I played Cricket for 9 years
  • I very much enjoy watching Tennis majors, Golf majors/Ryder Cup, and the Summer and Winter Olympics
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm a huge fan of Canadian football, hockey and baseball. I also try to watch soccer and F1 but the coverage here is pretty crap. I played rugby in high school but it has even worse coverage than soccer and motorsports.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care much about sports anymore outside of my favorite teams. Knicks, Mets and Jets. As you can see, I really lucked out on my team allegiances.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm a fan of college football (grew up rooting for Notre Dame) so I watch quite a bit of that, college basketball (went to a blue blood school for college), NBA (Pacers fan....give me a second....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKK), and a Cubs fan (give me one more second....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK).

I was a Rams fan growing up, but I have so little interest in the NFL. I ingest so much college football on saturday and am such a fan of its quirkiness that I just find the NFL product bland.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: Those Jets are on fire this year. I feel you, though. My university was a bottom feeder in college football this year until we lucked up and started making noise. But for most of my time as a student, they were garbage. So, I get your pain.

Avatar image for daysoffuturepast
DaysofFuturePast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sport i love the most is soccer.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dave_Tacitus
@flstyle said:

• I very much enjoy watching Tennis majors, Golf majors/Ryder Cup, and the Summer and Winter Olympics

Nice. I played cricket to a fairly high level until I did my back in. The highlight was probably playing for my Uni against Pakistan U19s when they were on tour.

Lost touch with cricket when it moved to Sky but my first sporting love has always been motorsport. Used to race on track at a *very* low level (small hatchbacks) but even then it cost a fortune.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

@flstyle said:

Nice. I played cricket to a fairly high level until I did my back in. The highlight was probably playing for my Uni against Pakistan U19s when they were on tour.

Lost touch with cricket when it moved to Sky but my first sporting love has always been motorsport. Used to race on track at a *very* low level (small hatchbacks) but even then it cost a fortune.

That sucks, I know a few people who's backs caused them to quit Cricket.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14: If you're a Notre Dame fan, then you may not like my team because we outranked you this week, when maybe we shouldn't have...And I'm a Bulls fan. So you and me would get along just terribly.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm a huge UFC fan, mma is easily my favourite sport. I also love the NFL (Jets), NHL (Senators) and MLB (Blue Jays). I like NBA basketball (Raptors) but I don't really watch it very much.

Honestly I like watching most sports though, for example I fucking love professional darts, and any time some weird things like strong man competitions, firefighter challenges or lumber jack challenges are on and I come across them, I'm in.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I like Sports and I don't care who knows.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By katimanic

I am a pretty big hockey fan, I used to play NHL 09 - 13 three to five times a week in the past. Still watch and attend quite a few games but don't really play it anymore since I don't like paying for the same or worse product.

I have a passing interest in Football, I play madden a bit and I watch some games. Fantasy football makes the games much more interesting.

I don't watch basketball but I played it growing up. I really like the NBA 2k series. The career modes always get me addicted for whatever reason. Never play online though as I either am not good enough or just don't know much about the game.

I watch soccer a little bit, mostly during the world cup or at a friend's house. I play fifa a small bit. Again, a game I am either not understanding or not that good at.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am mad into soccer

I am also mad about soccer because vancouver stole our place in the playoffs :(

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have always been a boxing fan. I was once a Syracuse Univeristy basketball/football fan, but I soured on big-time college athletics a long time ago.

epstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a die hard Kentucky (college basketball and football) fan. Also a 49ers fan (NFL), but am super pumped to be getting a local soccer team that will be starting in April.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

I'm a huge baseball fan. I played since I was a little kid through high school and would have gone on to play in college as well if I hadn't busted up my knee (while playing baseball actually). I watch American and Japanese baseball every year. I also like hockey quite a bit. I wanted to play it when I was younger but unfortunately I lived in a place where ice is a myth.

Overall I enjoy almost any sports. I like college football, I watch MotoGP off and on, I used to watch sumo a bit because it gets really interesting once you start to understand the intricacies of it, and I even have a favorite British soccer team (even if I know nothing about them and only picked them because I liked the name). The only sport I haven't really seen but would like to, is cricket. It seems close enough to baseball that I would probably enjoy it, but there's no way for me to check it out where I live.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an A's fan for pretty much the same reasons as Jeff. I like the A's more than the Giants because the A's get away with so much for how dirt poor they are. Really bummed about this season though. They really blew it against the Royals. They deserved to miss the playoffs.

I'm still rooting for the Royals because they're the scrappy underdog that hasn't won two World Series recently. Tonight's game was delicious, especially considering my friends are bummed out tonight. Screw their allegiances!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

NBA (Blazers; RIP CITY!!! UPRISE!)

NCAA (UofO; it's been great seeing them rise slowly from the bottom of the rankings to the team they've been the past half decade)

MLB (Timbers! Been to a game, don't really watch them. If they made the playoffs I'd watch, but I just don't have the care to bother watching a regular season match unless I'm actually there in the stadium. Unless it's against Seattle, I will always watch any Portland vs Seattle matchup in any sport.)

NFL (Fly, Eagles, Fly!), and yea, Fantasy Football makes it much more exciting. Before I started playing fantasy football I found it hard to care about the other games, just highlights.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am big fan of Michigan football! Michigan is my alma mater and I loved going to games. This year, along with the past years, have been rough for that ballclub. I also go to Michigan hockey games on occasion.

I also root on the Detroit Lions and Red Wings. I somewhat follow the Detroit Tigers as I'm not that into baseball. I made it to a Detroit Tiger's playoff game this year and had my car's windows smashed in.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I watch NFL. I mostly use it as an excuse to hang out with friends, but I still watch it.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the NFL, MLB and College basketball. I'm a big fan of The Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals (one more game baby!) and Kansas Jayhawk basketball (Rock Chalk) and as of recently a fan of our local MLS team sporting Kansas City. I can get into about anything though really.

I'm a fan of college football (grew up rooting for Notre Dame) so I watch quite a bit of that, college basketball (went to a blue blood school for college)

Which blue blood school?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Yep sports fan here. I was a huge NBA basketball fan growing up when the Sonics were still here in Seattle and would attend some games with my family at the Kingdome and Key Arena. When they moved though it kinda sucked all my spirit from watching basketball games, still hurts to this day. As I grew older started following MLB and NFL more but kinda got tainted by all the steroids allegations in MLB and the length of baseball games that I donn't have time to watch baseball games anymore. I still follow the Red Sox and Mariners but usually by just reading box scores or watching highlights of the game on sportscenter. Still a big NFL fan (Go Hawks!) and got really into MMA a few years ago. Oh yeah being from Seattle the Sounders FC games are a great time when you get to attend them, great atmosphere.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By shinboy630

I follow all the "major" pro sports here in the US outside of basketball. My teams are all over the place though as I root for the Yankees (MLB), Lions (NFL), Sharks (NHL), and Timbers (MLS). I live in NJ so the yankees are really the only local team on that list. Baseball is my jam overall though and the only one that I have bothered to pay full price for the "watch every game in the league" mlb.tv package.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big fan of football (the soccer kind) and most kinds of motor sports. I'll watch big rugby tournaments, but I'm a very casual fan. American sports don't really do it for me although basketball seems OK from what I've watched. They just seem both too bitty and too long, even Nascar bores the heck out of me.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an A's fan for pretty much the same reasons as Jeff. I like the A's more than the Giants because the A's get away with so much for how dirt poor they are. Really bummed about this season though. They really blew it against the Royals. They deserved to miss the playoffs.

I'm still rooting for the Royals because they're the scrappy underdog that hasn't won two World Series recently. Tonight's game was delicious, especially considering my friends are bummed out tonight. Screw their allegiances!

That A's collapse this year was a carbon copy of my Rangers collapse a few years ago. I feel your pain. That Cespedes for Lester trade was a bad move, even if it was smart on paper.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mbradley1992

@helvetica: How do you like Hoke? Is he a...wait for it...joke?

@epstein: You guys could really take the East if you get an upset or two. You don't know how badly I wanted UK to beat MSU.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bulls season starts tonight and I'm so damn excited (once I get out of playing basketball with my buddies from 20 years ago).

Basketball's my favorite, hockey is great but it's hard to catch every game when the Bulls are on, and I watch the Bears but I've slowly drifted away from football.

When I was a kid, we'd play sports til the sun went down. Then we'd move to video games. It was a perfect mix.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: Ha! :) Yes he is a total joke. :( I had faith...but after the whole Shane Morris concussion event, oof. I'm ready for Hoke to go. I believe he's gone at the end of the season anyway.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I love American football, college (FSU) and pro (Dolphins as implied by my avatar), MMA, and have a slightly growing interest in the NHL. I'll get invested in big time tournaments like March Madness and recently, the World Cup.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NFL, NCAA Football and Basketball, NBA, MLS for me. I don't care for baseball at all. Nor Hockey. I also follow the Bundesliga for soccer. As for sports video games, I play whats left. Slim pickings these days. Really, really, really want a new college basketball game.

Also bring back the Sonics!

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, I like sports. Being from the UK, I grew up a sawker fan. I mainly watch Scottish football these days because well, I'm Scottish, but I try to keep up with the Italian & German leagues. The EPL is pretty dull to me though. I saw every game at the World Cup this summer either live or on delay, but I watched it all.

Other than soccer my main sport these days is MMA. I'm not the hardest of the hardcore because I'm pretty bad at watching stuff that isn't the UFC, but I have Fight Pass & I've got a blog where I'm going back & watching all the MMA, starting from UFC 1. So far I've watched up to UFC 15, & also Pride 1. I'm still not sure how I'm going to cover Bellator but that's years off in the future so not to worry. Maybe Viacom will make their library accessible online or something. But yeah, I like to think I'm more knowledgeable about MMA than the average fan, I'm a big fan of the Flyweights, I like technical fighters, though I am also absolutely crazy for Mark Hunt so y'know...Aldo vs Mendes at the weekend was totally wild

I watch some rugby union when I see that it's on, I follow Glasgow in the Rabobank Pro 12, & I'll watch Scotland internationals. I watch the NFL, but not as much as I used to (really, I only watch games featuring Green Bay these days, plus the Super Bowl), but other American sports aren't particularly interesting to me. I've watched Formula 1 since I was a kid. I sometimes watch NCAA football when BT Sport is showing it & I'm at a loose end, but these days the UFC are running shows nearly every Saturday so I don't bother as much, I often go for naps Saturday evening so that I don't fall asleep during the UFC events.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I am indeed a sports fan. I don't get to watch games very often because of my work schedule, but I try to keep tabs on Real Salt Lake (MLS), the Utah Jazz (NBA), and the 49ers. I like watching hockey, but I don't have a team to root for. I don't like watching baseball. In my younger days when I was young and had time to kill I would watch the pro-Tennis opens. I came into at the end of the Agassi/Sampras and the raise of Roger Federer. Kinda fell out of it a few years back, just because I didn't have time to watch.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: I used to love Jimbo Fisher. Not quite keen on them this year and how they've handled some things. But that's not a discussion that needs to be had for the 1000th time. I'll let the talking heads on ESPN rant about it.

@helvetica: If you guys have to go against Florida for a new coach, I think you'd get the better pick. A depleted Big 10 is much easier to win in (especially at Michigan, which has existing talent) than the SEC with a Florida team with no returning talent. Good luck to you guys!

@i_stay_puft: Wow, the Sonics. You don't find many Sonics fans still kicking around. It seems like no one likes to admit they were a fan of them anymore. Even some of my friends who have been in the Seattle area since the mid 80s swear they were never Sonics fans (though they have the gear...).

@forkboy: I had a professor who was really into UFC and so I would watch a ton of clips and read MMA blogs to try and have a talking point. Then I sort of fell into it after UFC 159 when Roy Nelson completely clocked Cheick Kongo in the first round and ended it. It was incredible. But my satellite company charges like $60 per UFC event, so I don't tend to watch them live.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@mbradley1992: There's alot of sonics fans in and around the Seattle area. Dude how hardcore of a sonics fan am I? When I was younger did I rock a Gary Payton or a Shawn Kemp jersey? Nah I rocked a Detlef Schrempf and a Kendall Gill jersey.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By MocBucket62

@mbradley1992: I'll admit, things have not been the prettiest at FSU this year, but I'll still root for them no matter what. Grew up loving the Noles since the Bobby Bowden era and hoping for them to win back-to-back titles!

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: When I was little I had this big three foot tall Detlef Schrempf sticker on the wall of my bedroom. The Kemp/Payton/Schrempf/McMillan era was probably the last time I watched basketball.

I wonder if Seattle will ever get another team. It has pretty good sports fans compared to a lot of places. Even someone like the Silvertips, a small market minor league hockey teams, pulled good crowds.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechanical_ape: There has been talk here and there about Seattle getting an NHL team. Every time a team gets in financial trouble or stadium leasing trouble it gets brought up. Actually the Pheonix Coyotes were a couple of hours and a city councilor vote away from moving to Seattlein 2013. City council voted 4-3 in favour of the stadium lease, so the team got to stay in Pheonix. A similar situation moved the Thrashers to Winnipeg a few years ago. Now there is talk of expanding the league from 30 teams to 32. Seattle is one of the cities that always gets brought up, along with Las Vegas, Kansas City, Quebec City and a second Toronto team.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@mechanical_ape said:

@i_stay_puft: When I was little I had this big three foot tall Detlef Schrempf sticker on the wall of my bedroom. The Kemp/Payton/Schrempf/McMillan era was probably the last time I watched basketball.

I wonder if Seattle will ever get another team. It has pretty good sports fans compared to a lot of places. Even someone like the Silvertips, a small market minor league hockey teams, pulled good crowds.

Well one of the road blocks was figuring out how much money each owner was going to make from the new TV deal. Now that is over and done with all we need now is the right investor to buy a team or an expansion. Chris Hanson was a viable candidate but he lost Steve Ballmer as a financial backer when he went out and bought the LA Clippers. In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if Ballmer did decide to move the team up to Seattle. Alot of people are saying it's nonsense cause the amount of money Ballmer would be losing from the deal and losing out on the large market of LA but Ballmer is rich that he himself could pay 1 billion for a franchise in cold hard cash proves it. He was also a main fixture at Sonics games back in the day during the Ackerly ownership era. Preferrably I'd rather see an expansion team set up then stealing another team.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I remembered hearing stuff for a while about a plan to possibly put a new arena either south of downtown or over in Renton or Bellevue, but I hadn't heard anything since then so I wasn't sure if those were still on the table. I could see Ballmer doing that. If you're willing to pay that much for a team I doubt money is much of an issue.

@mosespippy: I use to live in Washington but now live in Arizona. As much as I'd like to see Seattle get a hockey team, I'm very glad the Coyotes didn't move. I know the Panthers are really struggling and I wouldn't be surprised if they started looking around for a new home eventually. It seems like a lot of Florida teams struggle to get fans, unless they have Lebron James on their team I guess. The Rays have been doing the same.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I enjoy pretty much all sports besides Cricket and Baseball. I'm a huge fan of Football (United fan) and Wrestling. Otherwise I enjoy watching Tennis, Golf, F1, Rugby, American Football (only the Super Bowl). Also really like Basketball but it's not really shown enough here in the UK.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well, Formula 1 is what I follow most closely, so I was happy when Drew and Danny started bringing more coverage to Giant Bomb. F1 game quick looks were hard to watch when the crew knew nothing about it.

I'm also a big fan of college hockey. My undergrad was and my grad school is a big hockey school and I get season tickets to the games. I also follow the Bruins but only really have time to watch games during the playoffs. Hockey, baseball, and basketball have too many regular season games to care about.

And I watch Patriots games whenever I have the time (and they're being shown in upstate New York).

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cricket, NFL, Ice hockey, baseball

They're my go to, pretty much in that order. I play cricket, and I'm looking to play gridiron next season as well

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been a college football fan (and also a fan of whatever sports Alabama is decent at in a given year... I've watched my fair share of women's gymnastics and softball lately) since I started college. I've also started following MLB since my office is two blocks from my local (divisional champion) baseball team's stadium. I want to like the NFL and NBA, but I don't really have any allegiances, so it's hard to stay interested.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, big-time pro football, baseball and basketball fan, religiously have been following Cleveland's team since about 1984, often to my sorrow. Graduated from Ohio State, so I'm a Buckeyes football and hoops fan, too. I'll watch the majors in tennis (was at U.S. Open a couple years back, great fun) and have branched out into some rugby and non-American football over the years.