Can anybody identify this Monty Python sketch?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Pretty straightforward, I'm looking for the full version of whatever Monty Python sketch this particular clip comes from:

But it's proving to be surprisingly difficult, as the Colonel there and his accusations of silliness are a fairly common sight in Monty Python. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :-)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

its from the film "and now for something completely different."

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It constantly amazes me how great Graham Chapman (the alcoholic promiscuous gay member of the group) was at playing the frustrated conservative general. Brilliant.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@crithon: Ah you beat me to it!

For content I'll add that that was a "remade" version of a bit from the episode of Flying Circus called How to Recognize Different Parts of the Body (S02E09)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@hakunin: good point, good point.... yeah, It's just easier for me to just type in "And now for something completely different" to seek the clip out.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@crithon: Well, it was the one he was looking for. The original version doesn't have the colonel.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My friends and I used to be able to recreate this flawlessly.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By forkboy

I do like the addition of the colonel in the film, linked totally unrelated things together quite well. Did he first appear after the Self Defence sketch or the Hell's Grannies skit?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I think every Python fan should watch And Now For Something Completely Different. It's more professionally acted and shot than the TV show was, and so while it loses some of the rough charm (and the laugh-track), it gives the lines an entirely different tone. I think some of the sketches in the film are funnier than their original versions from the TV show. John Cleese is a little hammy and overblown in the TV show version of The Parrot Sketch, but in the film he delivers the lines in a stiff and indignant manner, as you watch him seething behind his eyes trying to restrain the full force of his rage. It's masterful. The Upper Class Twit of the Year Show is disjointed and too long in the TV show, but the film version is pure comic genius. Also Terry Gilliam completely remade some of his greatest animations for the film, and they work much better for it.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@atlas said:

I think every Python fan should watch And Now For Something Completely Different. It's more professionally acted and shot than the TV show was, and so while it loses some of the rough charm (and the laugh-track), it gives the lines an entirely different tone. I think some of the sketches in the film are funnier than their original versions from the TV show. John Cleese is a little hammy and overblown in the TV show version of The Parrot Sketch, but in the film he delivers the lines in a stiff and indignant manner, as you watch him seething behind his eyes trying to restrain the full force of his rage. It's masterful. The Upper Class Twit of the Year Show is disjointed and too long in the TV show, but the film version is pure comic genius. Also Terry Gilliam completely remade some of his greatest animations for the film, and they work much better for it.

Poh-nnted Steck

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@singingmenstrual: Come to think of it, that's probably the best example of a sketch that was made significantly better by the directing and delivery of the film version. Cleese's strange ticks and spinning jump are a little lost in the TV version, but they make them a point of emphasis in the film and it works so beautifully.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Could have sworn I already responded to this, thanking you guys for the help and the unexpected thoughtful analysis. Oh well, rectified! Thanks guys!