• 73 results
#1 Posted by JohnPyn (1 posts) -

Hi everyone, I'm a huge fan of sic-fi, I watched lots and lots of series tons of times, currently the record is Doctor who, i watched all of them 12 times :D I like all kinds of sic-fi as long as it's not style noir such as Stargate Universe (I apologize if I didn't explain well the kind but I'm not english and i'm not sure that "noir" can be said in english too). Some series I liked are : Babylon 5, Stargate sg1, stargaze atlantis, star trek deep space 9, the next generation, enterprise, voyager, Lost, and flash forward (although they stopped at season 1), I like time travel, parallel universes, mysteries (like Lost) but I don't like love stories (there were a little too many on lost but i liked it anyway), I also don't like if they're always fighting because of non-important reasons like in stargaze universe. I like sic-fi in general but if it has time travel then i'll really be grateful! Almost forgot, I also do love Fringe :DD I'll be extremely grateful to all that'll help me. It's getting harder to watch these series I mentioned again, the one I watched less times is Lost and I watched all of them 6 times^^ you may understand why I need new one :D Thank you very much!!!

P.S. Possibly I'd like new series, not old which may be in B&W. THanks again!

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Pokemon. Edit: okay seriously Tera Nova.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Tera Nova has some time traveling and is pretty alright.
That's all I know though.

#4 Posted by DocHaus (1334 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Tera Nova has some time traveling and is pretty alright. That's all I know though.

Get out.

@JohnPyn: Check out Awake when it shows up on DVD because the show is now dead. It's about a cop who may or may not live in two parallel universes: one where his son died in a car crash, and another where his wife died in a car crash. Also check out Alphas and Warehouse 13 as they are the only "sci-fi" shows left on the SyFy (uggggggh) network.

#5 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

The only current show I can think of is Falling Skies. It's not very good but it's got aliens and some mysterious aspects to it.

Firefly isn't new but it's not black and white or anything. It ended after 1 season but they made an okay movie that ties up most of the stuff.

Daybreak was a show about time travel, but they only made one season and I don't think they answered any of the questions before they cancelled it.

#6 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

Well there's always Torchwood, if you havent seen that already.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@DocHaus: Never.
#8 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Heroes was great, not 100% Sci Fi but a great show none the less.

#9 Posted by Schmollian (262 posts) -

The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (2003)

/thread

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

Primevil - Another BBC show with timetravel, although a little light on the actual science.

Life on Mars - BBC show about a guy who gets sent into 1969 and has to find out why.

Outcasts - BBC show much like teranova, but better.

#11 Posted by twigger89 (278 posts) -

Firefly is great, and the movie is pretty good, and I believe they are both on Netflix.

Also, check out Torchwood if you are a big fan of Doctor Who. It's not as good (but nothing really is) but its still pretty fun, and there is some cross over stuff.

#12 Posted by stryker1121 (1459 posts) -

@JohnPyn: FarScape..it's a little wonkier than you may like your sci-fi but the universe is interesting and there's some great characters. It's basically about an American astronaut (played by Ben Browder who was in one of the Stargate series, no?) who flies through a wormhole and ends up in another universe. There is a bit a love story as the series unfolds but it's not overbearing as say the Kate/Sawyer/Jack nonsense on Lost. FarScape went four seasons and one movie that wrapped the story up. Check it out.

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6585 posts) -

Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are two shows every fan of sci-fi should watch.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@Schmollian said:

The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (2003)

/thread

Surprised it took that many posts before someone said that and Firefly.

Journeyman is a show I heard good things about. I intend to check it out myself one day.

@DocHaus: Eureka still exists, no? It wasn't cancelled or anything, at least not that I know of.

#15 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are two shows every fan of sci-fi should watch.

/thread

#16 Posted by Elyk247 (367 posts) -

Firefly, where it's at.

#17 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3165 posts) -

Watch Lost again. :)

#18 Posted by DocHaus (1334 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: Eureka just ended its series about a month ago.

#19 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

Power Rangers in Space

#20 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@DocHaus: Huh. Well I totally missed that. Seems I missed the whole final season. Damn.

#21 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4787 posts) -

Battlestar Galactica is all you need.

#22 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Go watch Firefly, right now.

#23 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

How about some Andromeda action? You can always use more Kevin Sorbo in your life.

#24 Posted by inknail (155 posts) -

Gonna agree with Farscape and Firefly, those two are a lot of fun. Some slightly oddball ones also include Andromeda (first two seasons were good, then it spiraled downhill in my opinion) and Earth: Final Conflict (I think I saw only the first two or three seasons, but all of it was pretty awesome).

#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3440 posts) -

Warehouse 13

#26 Posted by kindgineer (2733 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Tera Nova has some time traveling and is pretty alright. That's all I know though.

Wasn't that show cancelled? I mean, when out of your entire season you show legitimate dinosaurs TWICE, I cannot act surprised at that outcome. Also, flying bat-dino's don't ****ing count, Hollywood.

#27 Edited by DeF (4903 posts) -

@JohnPyn:

You need to wach Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. They're both not too focused on the sciency technobabble but they're fantastic and groundbreaking for their writing, characters and style. Since you love Doctor Who, you should love Firefly as well (how can you not love a Joss Whedon show?). It's hilarious and can be pretty dark. Top of the class stuff! Oh and if you love Doctor Who I hope you've checked out the spin-off Torchwood? Fantastic show! (There were some crossover episodes so you should know your way around Captain Jack Harkness^^)

Put aside your feelings about the movies for a second, regardless if they're good or bad, but Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was really really good show. I really suggest you check that out. Lena Heady pre-Game of Thrones with Summer Glau and Garret Dillahunt. Awesome character moments, evil robot action and c'mon--Summer Glau should be reason enough to watch anyhting :D

If you like something that makes you think, Dollhouse is your show. It starts off a little generic and "meh" but picks up with Episode 6 and eventually ascends into absolute genius! People transplanting memories and abilities into "blank slate" volunteers, using them for all kinds of bad (and sometimes good) things. Naturally shit goes wrong and that's when things get really interesting. This show asks some ugly questions. It also has the Summer Glau bonus in season 2 but there's so much awesome stuff, it doesn't even need that ... oh and it's a Joss Whedon show, so... :)

Personally, I'd advise against watching Terra Nova. The characters were pretty crappy though if you like dinosaurs then you might find it alright. Instead I'd say check out Falling Skies. It's not the best thing you could watch but I vastly prefer it over Terra Nova. It's about a human resistance after an alien invasion trying to fight back. It has a similar family-element as Terra Nova but far less cheese from what I've seen. It's quite gritty in parts.

You'll find a cool mystery aspect in a little known series called Daybreak, which some of the Lost writers/editors worked on. It's a groundhog day scenario about a detective being set up for murder and he relives the same day over and over to clear his name and has to make some tough choices regarding his loved ones and friends. It only lasted for a 13 episode season but it had a satisfying ending.

I also suggest checking out The 4400 and Alphas. The former ran for 4 season and the latter is currently in the middle of its second season. Both shows are about people with special abilities trying to find their place in the normal world and fighting against various people who like being bad.

Oh and then there's Jericho. Nuclear bombs blow up pretty much all of the US and a little town in the middle of nowhere called Jericho is left untouched and has to survive while being cut off from everything. Pretty nasty stuff and government conspiracy stuff going on. I really liked that one.

#28 Posted by Gnorbooth (285 posts) -

Farscape is a must see if you're ok with your sci-fi not always taking itself serious (which since you're a Doctor Who fan, you'll be fine). It will always be my favorite show of all time, so yeah, I can't recommend it enough. Firefly is an obvious choice, great show, even with it's short run. I've cruised through Warehouse 13 the past couple of months and if you liked X-Files it's a fun romp through a handful of seasons. Torchwood for it's Doctor Who crossovers and Eve Myles.

#29 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

Daybreak was a show about time travel, but they only made one season and I don't think they answered any of the questions before they cancelled it.

Oh wow, somebody else that has seen Daybreak! I thought nobody remembered or had seen that show at all :D

#30 Posted by Gnorbooth (285 posts) -

@DeF: Thanks for letting me remember The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I know people like to shit all over that series, but hell if I didn't enjoy it. Lena and Summer!? MmmmmmHmmmmmmm good.

#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@ck1nd: I dunno, I just saw the last 5 episodes and thought it was pretty intense.
Nothing special, but sci fi and looked decent.
#32 Posted by Mister_Avatar (67 posts) -

On the off chance you haven't watched The X-Files yet, do so. The first three seasons of that are some of the best TV ever created. If you have then try B5 or Firefly, both are fantastic series in their own right. Finally I'll go out on a limb here and suggest Cowboy Bebop. It's an anime and in order to get acting worth a darn you're going to have to watch it in Japanese with subs, (normally I don't care sub or dub but in this particular series the Japanese is just better on every possible level.) Other than that you could always dip into a little Fantasy with Game of Thrones or the old Merlin Hallmark mini-series (which I still like despite Martin Short and some truly awful special effects.)

My best suggestion, however, is to skip TV entirely and get and Audible sub. I love to listen to books when I'm playing games and there are some truly fantastic readers on there. You get a free book for signing up and if I may be so bold I'd suggest starting with the Miles Vorkosigan series of books by Louis McMaster Bujold.

#33 Posted by kindgineer (2733 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@ck1nd: I dunno, I just saw the last 5 episodes and thought it was pretty intense. Nothing special, but sci fi and looked decent.

Yeah, it's a fantastic show, but only because of the military leader guy. It speaks volumes that I can't remember his name, I'm sure. My only complaint with that show is the fact that it revolves around Dinosaurs and you rarely seen any of those. People tell me that they don't add it in because it's not about the dinosaurs (like how Walking Dead isn't just about the Zombies) but I call BS!

#34 Posted by Gnorbooth (285 posts) -

@McGhee said:

How about some Andromeda action? You can always use more Kevin Sorbo in your life.

I don't know how I missed this, but THIS. My man crush still thrives to this day for good ole' Kevbo! I still throw on some Hercules and laugh my ass off at it's, well, amazingness! But even as a life long fan, Andromeda gets real rough to watch after that second season.

#35 Edited by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

It's already been mentioned, but the first thing I thought of was Farscape, because I'm currently in the process of watching it from Netflix. Plus, it has Morrigan in it.

@DeF said:

@WarlordPayne said:

Oh wow, somebody else that has seen Daybreak! I thought nobody remembered or had seen that show at all :D

I watched that show when it originally aired on TV, then they stopped after only airing 6 episodes. I didn't find out until way later(earlier this year) that they had released all 13 on DVD, so I just recently watched them all. I really enjoyed it. You can tell that they had left a lot of stuff open for a potential second season, but I still think they wrapped it up pretty good.

#36 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Gnorbooth said:

@DeF: Thanks for letting me remember The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I know people like to shit all over that series, but hell if I didn't enjoy it. Lena and Summer!? MmmmmmHmmmmmmm good.

There were some pacing problems in the middle of season 2 while it aired but that becomes a non-issue if you watch it on DVD or streaming services. I really don't get why some people hate it so much, maybe it's because they expected it to be like the movies or full of action and it isn't that. I loved that show. And god, if Lena as Sarah saying "no one's ever safe" didn't burn itself into my brain haha.

Some fantastic character arcs, real surprises (Derek!), lots of variety and a great cast. It sucks that they canceled it when they did. I was never quite sure if I liked Shirley Manson's ( should watch that show, maybe^^) character in season 2 but that didn't dilute my love for the show as a whole.

#37 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@DeF: You honestly think I have not seen a series in which Shirley Manson has a role? xD
Very bummed out they canceled it.
#38 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

The first couple seasons of Sliders. Beyond that, you hit all the important notes already.

#39 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@DeF: You honestly think I have not seen a series in which Shirley Manson has a role? xD Very bummed out they canceled it.

I wasn't sure how far your Shirley fandom would reach :D ... though I should've expected the answer ;)

#40 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy

#41 Posted by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

Battlestar Galactica (2003).

#42 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Yeha, Silders si godo!

#43 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

And/or all of the Super Sentai series. :)

#44 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

In Space was way better. It was far more epic because it was the end of the Zordon saga. Also, the Lost Galaxy sub title makes no sense. There was no Lost Galaxy in that show.

#45 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Jericho. It was cancelled four years ago at this point and it still makes me lividly angry to think about it. It was so amazing.
And for comedy, watch Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. IT'S FUCKING AMAZING

#46 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -
@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

In Space was way better. It was far more epic because it was the end of the Zordon saga. Also, the Lost Galaxy sub title makes no sense. There was no Lost Galaxy in that show.

They actually did enter a Lost Galaxy (TM).  Pretty sure it was only like, the last few episodes of the season or something.
#47 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

Red Dwarf. Best ever!!!!!

#48 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

They actually did enter a Lost Galaxy (TM). Pretty sure it was only like, the last few episodes of the season or something.

Oh, right. I remember that. But still, naming your series after a few episodes makes no sense. It's like calling Power Rangers: Turbo, Power Rangers: We Get Baked in a Giant Pizza on One Episode.

#49 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -
@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

They actually did enter a Lost Galaxy (TM). Pretty sure it was only like, the last few episodes of the season or something.

Oh, right. I remember that. But still, naming your series after a few episodes makes no sense. It's like calling Power Rangers: Turbo, Power Rangers: We Get Baked in a Giant Pizza on One Episode.

Well, it is Power Rangers.  I don't think they really ever cared.
#50 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

@Turambar said:

@Landon said:

Power Rangers in Space

oh god, that might have been right around the exact time when I stopped watching after years of obsessing over PR.