Can Anyone Help Me Finish My Java Malarky?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

So I feel like SUCH a n00b but I'm fed up of mulling over all this myself when I'm sure there are dudes on this site that can just tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've tried Google so, don't send me that way, I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't stuck.

So as part of the first year of my degree I have to do Java, and, what initially I thought would be easy to get to grips with is actually not turning out so well for me. I'm fine at manipulating already written code, but writing from scratch is like, a nightmare.

Anyway - so I have to make a body mass index calculator as one of the basic exercises (I'm on like Question 6 of 58 *sigh*, hence the thread) -- anyway, I'm having issues with division, so I've created up a little test app to try and work out why division doesn't seem to be working.

Here's my code -

public class test {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        double divide;
        divide = 183 / 100;
        System.out.println(divide);

}
}

Now we all know right, 183 / 100 is 1.83 -- so why is Java giving me the result "1.0" -- exactly what is wrong with that code?

Really appreciate the (n00b) help in advance.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

OCD question, why not just declare "double divide = 183/100;"?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Mainly because I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. Either way, does that declaration give the correct answer....

*tries*

Sadly, no. It still tells me the answer is "1.0"; any ideas?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_
public class Main {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        double divide = 183.00 / 100.00;
        System.out.println(divide);

}
}

That should work.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

LOL. Haha - that's why I felt awkward about asking, because I knew the solution was going to be something really simple.

That does indeed work. Thank you very much! Seriously, thank you -- I spent 2 hours on that! :(

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_

Word.

Post other ones up if ya need help. These are fun.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
Jayge said:
"Word.

Post other ones up if ya need help. These are fun.
"
I have no doubt I'll be back ;)
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Godwind

Or you could properly type cast it.  There other methods of doing so.

One way would times it by divide = (1.00*183 )/ (1.00*100);

Another way is divide = (double)183/ (double)100;

The reason why I say this if your user input is NOT a float decimal value but an integer, you will encounter troubles using the method presented from before.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
Godwind said:
"Or you could properly type cast it.  There other methods of doing so.One way would times it by divide = (1.00*183 )/ (1.00*100);Another way is divide = (double)183/ (double)100;The reason why I say this if your user input is NOT a float decimal value but an integer, you will encounter troubles using the method presented from before."
That's true. I was just showing him how to fix his smaller issue though. It seems he hasn't ran into trouble yet, so who knows.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

I'm taking a Java Programming this semester, too.  I took it in high school, but I need this class for my major (Web Design).

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Lunarbunny

I should do some more programming, maybe get some practice on parsing (I made a semi-functional IRC client in Java but the parsing code was spaghetti)

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By myke_tuna

Man, I remember doing stuff like this in my first two years of high school. Yep... forgot almost everything. lol.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane
myketuna said:
"Man, I remember doing stuff like this in my first two years of high school. Yep... forgot almost everything. lol."
I forgot most of the Java stuff I learned in high school, but it came back to me pretty quickly in my class this semester.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
Jayge said:
"Godwind said:
"Or you could properly type cast it.  There other methods of doing so.One way would times it by divide = (1.00*183 )/ (1.00*100);Another way is divide = (double)183/ (double)100;The reason why I say this if your user input is NOT a float decimal value but an integer, you will encounter troubles using the method presented from before."
That's true. I was just showing him how to fix his smaller issue though. It seems he hasn't ran into trouble yet, so who knows.
"
My opinion, always think of the broader case.  Sammy shouldn't be able to just fix a small problem that he came across in problem, he should know how to solve all the problems that come his way.  He should understand the concept that floating decimal point value has a decimal being stored, which is not registered values of an integer.  Since calculations occur right to left, integers will behave as integers, not as doubles to accommodate his problems. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
Godwind said:
"Jayge said:
"Godwind said:
"
My opinion, always think of the broader case.  Sammy shouldn't be able to just fix a small problem that he came across in problem, he should know how to solve all the problems that come his way.  He should understand the concept that floating decimal point value has a decimal being stored, which is not registered values of an integer.  Since calculations occur right to left, integers will behave as integers, not as doubles to accommodate his problems.  "
No arguments here.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Lunarbunny

Just remember that programs always do what you tell them to, even if that isn't what you meant.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I thought this was some kind of drink.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points