Can anyone reccomend any good Books to read through?

• 68 results
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I have just realized i have not read a great book in a while and i was hoping to read something.

Can anyone recommend any great books to read? I have always enjoyed Comedy and always loved the "Alphabet of Manliness" by Maddox. So if anyone has read this, is there a possibility of recommending any similar funny books? Or just Any Great  books i may have missed out on in General! From any era in time. Old. New. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nail1080

The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

You were never a good reader. Hmm. I can't think of any books in particular since the Alphabet of Maniless is really just a parody book. Most books tend to have a story or satire to them. Would you even read those type of books?

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan is a pretty funny book. A lot of critics compared it to Office Space.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@eroticfishcake: Oh yes Ferg most definitely! It's been a while since i read a type of novel like that (maybe 2 years or so) but I'd always read in depth novels like that in my earlier days.
I was actually quite fond of reading believe it or not! 

I have to pick it up again.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, The Catcher In The Rye, Tess Of The D'Urbevilles, 1984, Wuthering Heights, Brave New World, The Gargoyle, The Wind In The Willows, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Animal Farm, blah, blah, blah...

... Pride & Prejudice, The Picture Of Dorian Gray, The Narnia books, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Anthem, Lord Of The Flies, blah, blah, blah.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By RichardLOlson

I am an avid book reader and I have a good one for the fans of fantasy and wolverine.

WOLVERINE: Election Day

Check it out in your local book stores.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@nail1080: Thank you! I will surely check it out.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@gingertastic_10: Thank you very much! I will check them out and hopefully have a good read!
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm pretty sure a majority of these books aren't comedy let alone similiar to the Alphabet on Manliness...they are good excellent books no doubt though.

@CornontheCobbe: We told you read more last year. Good to see that you listened!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

Depends what kind of book you  like. Something more fantasy-y is the Inheritance cycle-which I adore.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@get2sammyb: Ah yes! The classics. They are a must to go back and read. Catcher In the Rye! What a great novel. 
Wuthering Heights is another. Thank you for the suggestions! 
 Alice's Adventures In Wonderland is definitely one i would not have thought of reading.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
@eroticfishcake: Totally. I just listed my favourites above. Sorry OP. Got carried away. You should read the blurbs of the ones I mentioned and see if they tickle you.

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy is my best recc if you only want comedy. :)
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@RichardLOlson: You cannot go wrong with Wolverine alright. What a great suggestion. I shall check it out!
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spaceturtle
@CornontheCobbe: 
I love reading comedy myself. I havent read the book you mentioned but there is this other book i found myself laughing out loud when reading it. It's a norwegian book though, or at least by a norwegian writer. It's called "Doppler" by a guy named Erlen Loe. I don't know if it has been translated into English or whatever language you would prefere reading it in. But I would most def check out if there is a translated version of it. Highly recommended!
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
@get2sammyb: You've got great taste in books then! Nobody really reads them anymore though unless it's for school or something.

Also, apart from the BBC Mini-series of Pride and Prejudice (Yay!), I wouldn't watch the movies on any of these books. Really, just read them and leave it as it is!
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@eroticfishcake: Haha. Indeed Ferg. But that was last year my friend... This year i have the Freedom and Money to start reading again! Don't have to worry about Psychology essay this and History essay that.
Actually i should edit the Topic and Question. Should make it just "What Are Some Good Books to read" in General. Don't know why i just picked Alphabet of Manliness. You know me. It's my favorite book, and my lack of reading has limited what i chose. Ha.

Well hopefully i can get some variety here!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By crusader8463

If you are looking for a comedy, have you tried reading the Bible? The funny part is that millions of people think it is not fiction! Sorry i had to.

I fell in love with this book.
 I fell in love with this book.
I mostly read Star Wars novels as well as other sci-fi and fantasy as i just prefer those settings to real life. The only funny book i recall reading was the 2nd biography Mick Foley wrote "Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker than Wrestling ", but if your not into wrestling you probably wont like that. If you are though it is an amazing read as well as funny as hell when he talks about backstage stuff he did/saw. I had a smirk on my face almost the whole time i read that book.
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

If you like Fantasy at all check out the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R.R Martin; absolutely compelling stuff with extremely well written and realistic characters in [very] politically charged high fantasy setting with only small amounts of magic involved.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@gingertastic_10 said:
" Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan is a pretty funny book. A lot of critics compared it to Office Space. "
Definitely check this out. It's fantastic.

But I don't really have anything to add...
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
@WitchHunter_Z: Doesn't that series has the characters being killed off every 10 pages or so? I should probably get them myself since I heard they were excellent as well.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@get2sammyb: 
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy! I forgot about that one! I remember reading it years ago... That book must be ages old. At least 20 years old or so? I didn't quite understand the comedy in it then, but it was enjoyable alright. I shall give that a go most definitely.
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
@eroticfishcake: Not quite every 10 pages but Martin has no fear of killing off characters you've been inside the head of for several books.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@SPACETURTLE: Thanks Spaceturtle! Doppler eh? So it's directly translated from Norwegian to English? Oh well works for me! Thank you I'm looking forward to searching for it.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

No Caption Provided
/thread
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Haha. Maybe I'll give that one a go when I'm closer to my deathbed.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo
The Hot Zone - A really good book I enjoyed. We had to read it during freshman year in high school. It's about Ebola, and goes over a few people who experienced it [and died]. True story, by the way. Real disease as well if you've never heard of it.
tombp92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tombp92

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby was a wonderful book, mainly because it was something i could relate too, but i still recommend it

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jkz

Hmmm. I actually just decided to delve back into the depths of Russian literature. Just picked up The Idiot by Dostoevsky, and I'm reading back through the always enjoyable short stories by Gogol (Specifically the Petersburg Stories). Couldn't believe that I'd never read the Idiot, but I'm about to remedy that.

I'd recommend any of Dostoevsky's work (Crime and Punishment is a good jumping off point, The Brothers Karamazov is a brilliant story, but it's a tough one to jump right into without any prior knowledge of Dostoevsky), and Gogol is always good for some easy reading with a deep political undercurrent. Tolstoy is always good fun as well. For all of those authors, I'd also suggest the Pevear translations. A lot of people criticise them for being clunky, but I find that they capture the Russian language much more accurately than any other translation to date.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CaptainObvious

How about some comic books? 

I would recommend Ghost Rider: Danny Ketch, Vengeance of The Moon Knight, Cable & Deadpool or Captain America: Reborn, if you like some classic super heroics.  

These series are relatively new, 'cept Cable & Deadpool, so you can catch on pretty easily.

Avatar image for samsdaddy010106
SamsDaddy010106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SamsDaddy010106

One word my friend: Vonnegut.
I would recommend starting with Cat's Cradle or The Sirens of Titan.
Enjoy!

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

• Zen Mind, Begginer's Mind
  • A Brave New World
  • The Book of Balance
  • Genesis (Sci-Fi book)
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

Read Paradise Lost.  Click on my mini bio to read an excerpt from it.  It is really a fantastic book and the language he uses is phenomenal.  I recommend it to anybody who likes literature.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By sjschmidt93

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I'm surprised no one ever said a 100 Years of Solitude. The Paradox of Choice is a pretty quick interesting read. The Culture of Fear gets kinda preachy but its interesting.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RHCPfan24
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • 100 Years of Solitude
  • Slaughterhouse Five
  • Dickens...Dickens....
Kenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kenny

One Hundred Years of Solitude is an excellent read.

No Caption Provided
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CornontheCobbe

One Hundred Years of Solitude! My sister was kind of obsessed with that book! Thank you everyone for suggestions, I'm planning on checking out all of these!

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArcLyte

Eisenhorn omnibus by Dan Abnett

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mattzz10

If you don't like sports then don't read my suggestion: 
Bill Simmons is by far my favorite sports journalist, and you can read some of his work over at ESPN.com, and he recently just wrote a 700 page book about basketball.  Originally named The Book of Basketball, now it was just released, and I haven't read it yet, but just based on the exerpts that I read over on ESPN and just the way his articals are written, I am pretty sure that this book will be good.  Don't worry about the length of the book, it is divided up into easy to read chapters, and its not like you will need to remember characters... these were some of the biggest stars of basketball at the time.  For anyone that is just a fan of sports in general, I recommend this book, Simmons has a way of expressing the views of the fan.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eroticfishcake

If you actually manage to read all of these books...I wouldn't even know what to say let alone now.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cadmus

Anatomy of Melancholy, anything by Dostoevsky, Gogol's Dead Souls, Melmoth the Wanderer, Don Quixote, Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Monk, Clermont: A Tale, Shelley's Frankenstein, Euripedes ..

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Alphonzo
Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff 
Absolutely awesome!  Fast-paced, funny, action-y, original, constantly whipping out new surprises, it stays fresh and really mind-gamey from start to finish.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bwast

Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Daniel Klein

moemar26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By moemar26

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JakJ
@SamsDaddy010106 said:
" One word my friend: Vonnegut. I would recommend starting with Cat's Cradle or The Sirens of Titan. Enjoy! "
Hell yes! Though I would recommend starting with his first book Player Piano instead. It's a little more.... structured than his later works, and serves a good introduction to his humor. Otherwise completely agree with SamsDaddy, and would add Slaughterhouse Five to the end of the list.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alexander

I have just finished 1984 today and you must must read it.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ch13696

Any that are done by Richard A. Knaak or Halo The Fall of Reach. Its whats pushing Halo Reach