Can anyone reccomend any good Books to read through?

• 68 results
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Read thought The divine comedy, it's awesome. If not one of the great books I read recently is the pillars of the earth by ken follet

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#52  Edited By wefwefasdf

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series even though I missed the bandwagon years ago. You should definitely start the first one and see if you like it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By pweidman

Cold Mountain is the last novel that blew me away...very gritty and oh so well written...won the Pulitzer on the authors first book btw,wow.  He's written one since I haven't read(can't remember his name now sorry).  No Country for Old Men was also very good if you can take Cormac McCarthy's writing style(full of grammatic/convention  purposeful ignorances, lol.)   

Classic-wise, I'd go with anything Steinbeck, Michener,  or Hemingway as far as American authors go.   For Whom the Bell Tolls, for starters in Hemingway's case...plus so many others.   

EDIT: If you like westerns, you can't go wrong with any of the McMurtrey novels; especially I'd recommend Comanche Moon.  It has a very cool surreal feel and should be made into a movie honoring the violent and very epic feel of the book.....someone who'd capture the novel's intensity properly I mean.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By FireBurger

They're not exactly comedy or literary masterpieces, but I really enjoy the boots-on-the-ground point of view of war memoirs. My favorites are:

1. The Things They Carried - while not a direct memoir, it takes a very interesting, impactful approach
2. House to House
3. Lone Survivor
4. Generation Kill  

They are all very powerful, revealing stories of modern day soldiers and war.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Jeust
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By End_Boss

World War Z, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Walking Dead (graphic novel series, semi-hard to come by).

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By yakov456

Shogun

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By raegunz_
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.. freaking amazing.
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene... but this was in high school when I was hell-bent on being a Physics major (which ended up only lasting for one semester. heh.)

Or you could always become an Alan Moore whore.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By JakJ
@yakov456 said:
" Shogun "
All of the James Clavell's books are worth a go.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Seedofpower

This one. 

I read it and it was amazing.
 I read it and it was amazing.
It will make you a zombie fan.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Ah yes World War Z! I have heard much about it, and it looks like a great read! Thanks to all your suggestions.

HerpDurpHonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HerpDurpHonk

Ender's Game, or anything by Orson Scott Card

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By Pazy

Right now im loving Starship Troopers by  Robert A. Heinlein, its completely diffrent from the film (which was based off of the book) and its a really intersting story of a grunt in the (future) army.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By atejas

How about some sci-fi? 
Try Snow Crash, The Sprawl Trilogy, Dune, Starship Troopers, Roadside Picnic, Lords of Light, everything Asimov, and Rendezvous with Rama

porridgelad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By porridgelad

Most of the books i would recommend already have been in this thread although i would like to reiterate Catch-22 and anything by Terry  Pratchett ( Mort/Small Gods/Good Omens)

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Porridgelad: Terry Pratchett! He's excellent. I completely forgot about his stuff.
hodgins313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By hodgins313

I would recommend Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold, it is an excellent novel to read on a long journey, fast paced and the author is great at bringing across a magicians showmanship on paper

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By penguindust

If you want something funny, I suggest Getting Even, Without Feathers and Side Effects by Woody Allen.  These are all "old school" Woody Allen, so the stories are full of off the wall references and irrational scenes.  The above link is for a collection.  EDIT:  Actually, you may need to have already read the books at the bottom to understand some of the jokes in these books.

If you want sci-fi themed comedy, you should look at the works of Robert Asprin Phule's Company and Another Fine Myth are good starts. Both are the first books from a series. as in all humor related books, some are funnier than others, but I recall these two giving me a good chuckle throughout.

After that, I'll suggest The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac.  I enjoyed it more than On the Road, although that one is good, too.   Not really funny, but good reads. 

And, if you really want something that's a fairly easy read although with layers and layers of deeper meaning then check out Albert Camus' the Stranger, Fyodor Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground and Voltaire's Candide.