Can anyone recommend me some cool podcasts?

• 120 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So, as I was going down my feedly list of RSS podcast feeds I noticed something the bulk of my podcast RSS feeds are wrestling podcasts and well...I don't watch wrestling anymore. Haven't for a good two months or better now. Canceled my WWE network subscription. I'm done and for real this time. Which leaves me in the particular bind of not really knowing what to listen to to fill my podcast listening time when I'm grinding on Final Fantasy XIV or just generally in the mood to listen to a podcast.

I did just binge listen through all 12 episodes of Serial and that was a fascinating listen. So, I think This American Life might be on the docket for me as it was constantly mentioned on Serial but I'm not really sure else what to grab. I don't mind video game podcasts but to be honest I think the bombcast might be enough to fill that particular void.

So whats cool that is out there?

NoMoreMutants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Harmontown is a really funny podcast by the guy that made Community and Rick & Morty!

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I really like Hardcore History. Dan Carlin is a great storyteller, and the historical events he chooses for the podcast are usually super-fascinating. The episode length (3-5 hours) might be a turnoff though.

Other than that I mostly listen to video game podcasts. If you want to hear about older games, both Retronauts and Watch Out For Fireballs are really good.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pkmango7

I actually got into My Brother, My Brother, and Me (MBMBaM) through one of these old threads. Excellent podcast with some real talk sprinkled in there.

Also check out 8-4 on the site if you haven't already, offers a Japan perspective on video games by dudes who work in English localization (quite a portfolio), though the cast is not everyone's cup of tea. This is the episode with Jake Kazdal that is often linked to new listeners, I personally loved it: http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=94

But lately I've just been rewatching old premium features like Breaking Brad while I macro Silver Brocades before Mastercraft Demimateria completely tanks.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

Skeptic's Guide to the Universe has been a favorite of mine for close to a decade now, as well as SETI's Big Picture Science.

Retronauts came back earlier this year and is currently on a hiatus, but will be back next year again.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Dollop- Two comedians talk about insane moments in American History. Good start would be The Rube.

Link: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/the-rube

U Talkin' U2 to Me?: Hosts Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang Bang) and Adam Scott (Parks and Rec) talk about the band U2. They also host several sub podcasts, including "I Love Films", "Talkin' Bout Money", "I Love I Love Films", "2's Clues", "Sick Burns", and "I Love I Love I Love Films." Also they want t-shirts.

Loading Video...

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Bones8677

How Did This Get Made Podcast: A comedic podcast hosted by comedian Paul Sheer, every other episode they look at bad movies and talk about them, and its all hilarious. They frequently do live shows in front of audiences and it's great. Warning though, expect the podcast to be rather crude.

The Co-Optional Podcast: The official podcast of Totalbiscuit and friends. Tons of fun, and very casual experience.

Super Best Friendcast: The official podcast of Two(Super) Best Friends on Youtube. A very funny podcast among 4 friends as they talk about the latest gaming news from a young perspective. Warning, Fighting games and anime make up at least half of everything they talk about, so if you hate either of those, you may be turned off.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#teamgfbradio

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I second Hardcore History.

The Nerdist Podcast is a great one to cherry-pick if you want to hear interesting interviews with a lot of famous people (the Arnold Schwarzenegger one is especially great).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Anything from Earwolf is usually good if you like comedy. Comedy Bang Bang, Who Charted?, Improv 4 Humans, Never Not Funny are always weekly listening for me.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been listening to these guys for 8 years now? They're pretty cool. They talk about energy drinks and sometimes about video games. They register these domain names... wait, you're already on this website...

Slowly walks away!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 splodge  Online

Tell em Steve Dave. Little bit daunting as there are four years of episodes, but there is a handy primer if you search for it on youtube that is about three hours long and works as a good introduction to the show.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Very long podcasts about history. Takes him a few months per episode, as they are essentially audio books.

Probably Science - Comedians with a background in science talk with other comedians and scientists about the science news.

Stuff To Blow Your Mind - Interesting topics explained in a nice tight 30-45 minute podcast. They go into the science and history of topics. Check out all of the podcasts from How Stuff Works.

Weird Things - They discuss... weird things. Lots of science, weird events, etc. Pretty funny and weird.

Comedy Bang Bang - One of the funniest podcasts that I listen to. Requires a very specific sense of humor to enjoy.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

"A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep.

Welcome to Night Vale."

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Cubidog1

The Rooster Teeth podcast has been my favorite podcast for the past few years. They talk about pretty much everything, from funny events in their lives to hypothetical science questions. They also have a revolving cast of people that work at the company, so if you don't like somebody they might not be on the next week. The podcast is very funny, and rarely informative. Be warned, the show is not safe for work. They curse and talk about inappropriate topics often.

If you do end up liking the Rooster Teeth gang, they also have a podcast dedicated solely to video games called the Patch and one dedicated to movies called Screen Play.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

yogibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talk Nerdy with Cara Santa Maria - Cara Santa Maria is a science communicator, television host, producer, and journalist. She is excited to present "Talk Nerdy," a place for conversations with interesting people about interesting topics.

Know Brainer - Know Braineris a hub for all the inquisitive minds out there like mine, that invite challenges, new perspectives, and the unknown into their day to day. As I learn and discover new information, phenomena, people or places.

Indoor Kids - Video game podcast hosted by marrIed couple Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V Gordon

Nerdist Podcast - I am Chris Hardwick. I am on TV a lot and have a blog at nerdist.com. This podcast is basically just me talking about stuff and things with my two nerdy friends Jonah Ray and Matt Mira, and usually someone more famous than all of us. Occasionally we swear because that is fun. I hope you like it, but if you don't I'm sure you will not hesitate to unfurl your rage in the 'reviews' section because that's how the Internet works.

Super Best Friends Podcast - The Hypest Gameplay in Podcasting! Every week, the creators of Two Best Friends Play discuss the best and worst of the videogame industry, pop culture and get excessively hyped about things for no reason.

yogibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If none of these do it for you, go here the Nerdist Network. ENJOY :)

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By super2j
Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I discovered Bad Movie Fiends a couple of months ago, and I've found them to be surprisingly amusing so far. Pretty self-explanatory what the podcast is about...

Loading Video...

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would of mentioned a lot of what has been mentioned above. Looking at my feeds a couple of BBC Radio feeds I can recommend:

More Or Less which is awesome if you are nerdy in anyway about numbers.

Reith Lectures bit like TED talks but much more indepth and has been going on since 1948.

The Infinite Monkey Cage radio show that is a mix of science/comedy.

Tubaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In every one of these "lets talk about podcast's" threads, I feel compelled to mentioned the CAGCast, or the Cheap Ass Gamer Podcast.

Maybe its because I've been listening to them for so long, but the CAGCast is the only podcast where it feels more like I'm just hanging out with these guys for an hour a week than them telling about one topic or another. The only other podcast that has that effect on me is the Bombcast. The CAGCast is about games, maybe .. 50% of the episode at best? They talk about movies, their kids, or whatever else is going on at the time. I have hard time pinpointing why I enjoy it so much, I just do. Hopefully someone can articulate why better than I did, but I have to recommend checking it out.

jnicode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the funniest podcasts I listen to is competitive erotic fan fiction. It's a bunch of really funny comedians writing and reading funny and often times gross erotic fan fiction in front of a crowd. Give it a try!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Watch Out For Fireballs

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By nophilip

I recently discovered The First World War in 261 Weeks. It puts out ~15 minute episodes every Saturday, following WWI in real time, exactly 100 years later. It started in June of this year (focusing on the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand), and will continue for 5 years. I've really been enjoying it. It's a little dry, but really interesting if you're into history.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch wrestling anymore. Haven't for a good two months or better now. Canceled my WWE network subscription. I'm done and for real this time.

See you at the Royal Rumble.

Freakonomics have interesting takes on a wide variety of subjects.

The Bugle is a hilarious podcast about world events. Hosted by John Oliver (of Last Week Tonight fame) and Andy Zaltzman.

I like Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast but he's not for everyone. Speaking of specific kinds of humor, I enjoy Sick and Wrong which goes over fucked up news stories.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

"Good Job, Brain" is a fascinating but also funny trivia weekly podcast. The four hosts select an overall theme then quiz each other on the topic. Each answer is usually accompanied by historical background and context. The joy, wonder and enthusiasm each member has for testing themselves and learning is part of what makes it so special. There are over a hundred episodes online, each worth listening to since they don't focus on current events.

One show which does focus on current events is NPR's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me". A weekly news quiz where three guest panelist ask and answer questions regarding the past weeks news, often in a humorous fashion. It's been on for a long time, so there should be a lot out there. Those older shows are still fun because the recall what was going on in the world on a single week in history.

It's not so much a podcast as it is a radio show with a daily commercial free upload, but I've been a fan for years of "The Tony Kornheiser Show". For the most part it airs Monday through Friday, but the podcast is usually posted the following day. It's foundation is sports, but Mr. Tony has too many other interests so it's also about politics, film, culture and whatever else is on his mind. It's always good for a chuckle. I've been following his radio rants for at least a decade now.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The History of the Romans is pretty good and so is Super Sentai Bros too.

The history is pretty cool and is very short about 10 to 30 mins , and for Super Sentai Bros is pretty good , because it's two brothers watch and reviewing the sentai series's Gosei Sentai Dairanger by the ep.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tell'em Steve Dave one of the funniest podcast's out there

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like quiz show podcast. good job brain and NPR ask me another are both good. each is around an hour and there is lots of trivia and humor along the way.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really like Judge John Hodgman.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Other than the Bombcast I listen to My Brother My Brother and Me (a comedy advice podcast hosted by the McElroy brothers), How did this get made (a comedy podcast that talks about movies), Smodcast (One of many Kevin Smith Podcasts), The Nerdist Podcast (a comedy podcast where some stand up comedians talk to famous people fairly candidly and it's just mostly fun), Talkin' Toons (Rob Paulsen's, the voice actor, podcast where he talks to other voice actors), and occasionally I listen to the Tested podcast as well- especially the Dadcasts.

Mega64 has a podcast too, but I don't listen to it often for no particular reason.

jedicro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: I have a really hard time with the Nerdist. I love the guests they get and the topics are usually interesting/funny, but good lord does Chris Hardwick talk about himself a lot. Dude, we get it, you have your own standup routine. I don't need to hear you explain your method to every guest.

I might be in the minority on this, but he just really rubs me the wrong way.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hollywood Babble-On is really good. Kevin Smith and Ralph Garmin make fun of the entertainment world (AKA the Kardashians, Beiber, etc...) They also talk superheroes, weekly happenings, and such. Very funny stuff.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch out for Fireballs is absolutely great. It's basically video game book club where every week they take a look at some classic or new classic game and run talk about it for 2 hours followed by a mini episode featuring listener response. They are in a 3 part run of Morrowind and its great.

Abject suffering featuring the same two guys from the above podcast it basically them playing the worst of the worst garbage games and talking about them for around 30 minutes to an hour though it usually devolves into talking about bad tv shows and poop.

Comedy Bang Bang is a great comedy interview and variety show thats worth listening to.

How did this get made is a podcast about bad movies and its great.

James Bonding is a great run though of all the James Bond movies

My Brother My Brother and Me is the Mcelroy brothers giving...advice.

Doug Loves Movies comedian Doug Benson has a panel every episode where they play movie related trivia games.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say what you will about Chael Sonnen but the guy conducts some pretty entertaining interviews. If you're a fan of MMA at all I recommend checking out his podcast on the PodcastOne network.

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Joe Rogan Experience (Life changing) Fatman on Batman (Kevin Smith podcast) Dan Carlin's hardcore history( Just Perfect) The church of what's happening now (not for the faint of heart)

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been listening to the Worst Idea of All-Time podcast if you want a podcast about 2 guys that watch and review Grown Ups 2 every week.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've posted this in a similar thread but my recommendation still stands.

The variety of podcasts on the Laser Time Network are the best. If you used to listen to TalkRadar, it's a lot of the same people.

Laser Time is the flagship show about pop culture in general.

Vidjagame Apocalypse is the video game show.

Cape Crisis is the comic show.

Cheap Popcast is the wrestling show (Dan is a guest on the Summerslam episode)

VGMpire is the video game music show.

Rabalais42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Superego is released infrequently but is a totally hilarious improvised sketch podcast.

The Best Show used to be a weekly radio show for 13 years, and its one of the funniest most complete comedy universes you'll ever hear. They just revived the show as a weekly podcast.

Reading Aloud with Nate Corddry is a literature podcast where comedians and actors read short stories, essays and poetry alongside interviews with authors and book adjacent people.

Hound Tall is one of Moshe Kasher's podcasts, where he has two comedians on to discuss a topic with an expert in that field. They've had on Reza Aslan to talk about Islam in America and have talked about death and polyamory in the past.

Someone else has mentioned Harmontown, which is also great. It can get a little preachy, but I can't think of many other podcasts that are as naturally and easily funny.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By enemylandlord

Most of what I'd recommend has been posted already, but I do need to add that so long as the subject matter interests you, The X Files Files from Kumail Nanjiani, and Twin Peaks Rewatch from Idle Thumbs are fantastic listens.

And though it's been mentioned before, the quality of My Brother, My Brother and Me cannot be stressed enough. MBMBaM is without doubt my favourite podcast currently being produced, and if you aren't on board yet you are seriously missing out.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yahtzee's "Let's Drown Out" is sort of a podcast and very much recommended.

Sherlock22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sherlock22

Maddox and Dick Masterson have a podcast called The Biggest Problem in the Universe which is the only podcast besides the Bombcast that has clicked for me and made me listen every single week.

GnolTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a 90 minutes commute and listen to podcasts/audiobooks while doing chores at home, so I go through a bunch of them.

Some of the stuff I'd recommend:

• Super Best Friendcast. General fun time, mostly about video games.
  • Co-optional Podcast. Total Biscuit usually has great stuff, mostly video games.
  • 8-4 Play. From the 8-4 game localization company in Japan. Mostly about Japanese video games and sometimes interesting stuff about life of "foreigners" in Japan.
  • Player One Podcast. Technically mostly about games, but usually just entertaining to listen to a bunch of older gamers ramble on.
  • The Complete Guide About Everything. Very funny podcast. The topics are total bullshit, but the 2 hosts have great chemistry and humour.
  • Answer Me This! British comedy podcast where they answer bullshit questions. Very humerous and nice production values.
  • No Such Thing As A Fish. Do you like QI? Well, this is the podcast by the QI Elves who research the quite interesting facts for the TV Show.
  • Good Job Brain. Entertaining trivia podcast with a lot of humor. Hard to hate.
  • DGRadio. Was a great podcast about a bunch of interesting stuff (music, beer, cigars, movies, games) by some quite funny and rude dudes. Ended when one of the hosts died during his sleep at a young age (same fucking year as Ryan too, I think).
49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Biggest Problem in the Universe is really good. Each week they bring in a problem and have to argue their case about why it is the worst problem in the world. Between each episode listeners can vote for which they think is the worst. It's primarily a comedy podcast and the show is at it's funniest when someone brings in a non-problem like undercooked rice and tries to argue that it is worse than celebrity worship.

Avatar image for supremeconstant
SupremeConstant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Film Junk is a good podcast. The episodes are 2 to 3 hours usually and it feels as if its 3 guys sitting at table talking instead of feeling too show-ey. Which is something I really dislike in a lot of podcasting. They're one of the longest running podcasts around as well if you're interested in a back catalog.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I love critical hit. It's a D&d 4e podcast and there is so many stories and episodes I'm jealous of people starting it. Took me about a year to catch up. Even if you don't care for dnd, they tell a good and fun story. And they stay in character most of the time. It's a fun listen to.

I wish I could suggest more, but all I got is critical hit, bombcast, and wrestling stuff.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerd Poker is really funny, its got Brian Posehn and some of his other comedian friends playing a D&D campaign.

Idle Thumbs is pretty good but I feel the quality has dropped alot in the last year, Gamers with Jobs is also a pretty cool video game podcast.

Hardcore History is great as well as others have said.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Others have already listed some of my favourites, but here's a few I didn't see mentioned, yet:

WNYC's Radiolab From their site: "Radiolab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience." If you like 'Serial' and/or 'This American Life,' you'll love Radiolab.

Last Podcast On The Left "Every week Ben Kissel, Henry Zebrowski, and Marcus Parks explore the horrors of the world both imagined and real." It's basically three comedians talking about weird & creepy stuff that interests them: serial killers, horror films, the supernatural, etc. Goofy & irreverant and don't expect high-minded scholarship.

The Higherside Chats "The Higherside Chats is an interview based podcast where Greg Carlwood grabs a beer, lights a joint, and sits down for conversations with the best researchers, authors, and experts on a whole host of conspiracy, paranormal, and all around fringe topics." Similar to Coast 2 Coast AM & Red Ice Radio, but the host is a bit more skeptical & open-minded & a lot less batshit crazy.

Stuff To Blow Your Mind From the 'How Stuff Works' family of podcasts. I also listen to the conspiracy & history podcasts they produce, but STBYM is probably the best all-around listen.

There are tons more with promise that I've just started listening to, so I won't recommend them outright. The Truth: Movies For Your Ears / Love + Radio / Mind Labs

Lastly, another vote for Welcome To Night Vale. Start at the very beginning & give it a few episodes to get going. You won't regret it.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By KaneRobot

The Adventure Zone is a new thing the My Brother My Brother and Me guys have been doing for a few weeks. It somehow makes listening to people playing Dungeons and Dragons not just tolerable, but really funny.

That's the only new podcast I've picked up on this year, However I have STOPPED listening to several this year since they started getting dull or repetitive or uninspired. Steve Austin's show, Jim Ross' show (which is flat out terrible), all the Kevin Smith stuff (including related stuff like the Steve Dave show)...enjoyed them all at one point but there has been a noticeable quality dip.