Can I convert composite video into component video?

robohasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By robohasi

I want to use my capture card to digitalize my old video tapes. The camera I use only has yellow out for video, and my capture card only has the triple component. Are there any cheap (<50$, preferably, can be more if necessary) converters that do this? Quality doesn't matter, the tapes are pretty low res anyway.

This is probably not the right forum, but I don't see where else to put this, and I really want this question answered.

frozensquozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By frozensquozen

I can't think of any cheap solutions. Home theatre amps will do it for you if you know somebody with an amp you could borrow.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Toxeia

Depending on the device...

My old computer only has the component and I needed to hook it up to my tv which only had composite. Solution: Use Y-Connectors to join the 3 signals into one.

Worked without a hitch. I've had varying results with other devices though.

Edit: Re-read your post and I see it's the other way around. Try plugging the yellow cord into just the... green or blue, I forget which, but one of those should work and give you full color. I've done this one before too, so I know it works =p

robohasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By robohasi

@Toxeia: I only get black and white signal when I try this from my Xbox to my TV. Are you sure this works?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

@robohasi said:

@Toxeia: I only get black and white signal when I try this from my Xbox to my TV. Are you sure this works?

For my capture card, this works when I set the capture card specifically for composite in the capture settings.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

There are also many programs that can help you clean out a lot of the noise and scratches off of your videos. Just make sure you have the right pc specs for them.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChaosDent
@robohasi said:

This is because the TV is only picking up the green signal which is basically the same as black & white TV. Conversely, if you plug your composite source into the green input on your capture card you should be able to capture your video in black & white for the same reason (color TV in the US was a backwards compatible hack on the B&W design). There is probably a setting in your capture software that will tell the card whether to treat the video source as component or composite, and the green input is almost certainly going to be the one that switches.
Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Toxeia

@robohasi: Sorry, I know it works for me =( If you're not in the US I wonder if this is something to do with PAL vs NTSC compatibility.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By goatmilk

It would probably be easier to just buy another capture card with a composite input. Just avoid cheap USB ones.

robohasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By robohasi

@mordukai: Does this work composite to component, because the description implies that it is only component to composite.