Can I run PlanetSide 2?

zArcaneSkye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zArcaneSkye

So recently, I started playing PlanetSide 2 and I quite enjoy it. However, to improve my experience, I want to know if I can run PS2 with near-best quality and performance. I understand that the lower the quality the lower the performance.

Resolution: 1920X1080 (I have 17-inch screen, just saying)
Rendering Quality: 100%
Brightness: 0.5
Vertical Field of View: 55.00
Graphics Quality: High
Texture Quality: High
Lighting Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Fog Shadow: (Unticked)
Effects Quality: High
Terrain: High
Flora: Medium
Model Quality: High
Particles: High
Motion Blur: (Unticked)
Ambient Occlusion: (Ticked)

These are my current settings, I tried everything on high - and the performance seemed reasonable. Only thing I noticed was slower keyboard/mouse input even with reduce input lag ticked. Also, people were skipping lots of steps but I think this was because of lag. I can't really continue testing right now due to several issues but when I get back on I want to know if I can run most settings on high ;)

LoL, nearly forgot, here are my laptop settings:

RAM: 8GB
CPU: Intel i7 QM-3615
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB DDR5

Also, I was wondering if increasing the RAM to 16GB would make a huge difference or not since I heard that you can upgrade, not sure. Ultimately, I want to know if upgrading to 16GB is worth it or not :P Finally, I understand that this might be asking for a lot but it would be very much appreciated if I were to get a decent reply/answer prefferably from a computer pro :D

Thanks in advance!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By gla55jAw
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By bacongames

Um...what? I don't understand what you're asking here. You already said you played it and fiddled with it; are you asking if people can recommend something else to get up your performance? I'm having to really dig in to deduce that. Also, just to put that to rest, 16GB of ram won't help at all with games because games usually use way less than that. RAM is a giant bucket, if it ain't full at 8, 16 isn't going to make a difference.

Also, putting letters this big isn't adding anything meaningful.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TyCobb

@zArcaneSkye said:

I understand that the lower the quality the lower the performance.

Lower the quality, higher the performance.

Your machine is fine. Increasing RAM won't do anything unless you want to run a ton of other stuff in the background while playing. If anything it would be the video card that is holding you back since it is a mobile card. Your screen size doesn't matter. 1920x1080 takes the same processing power whether you are on a 17" screen or a 42" screen. I would disable Ambient Occlusion.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By xymox

You might experience slow/sluggish feeling movement from having the settings too high, yeah, but people skipping steps is probably a network issue. Since you have a mobile gfx card you can try editing the useroptions.ini with notepad, hit ctrl+f and find "Rendering". Make a new line that says:

GpuPhysics=0

You should also maybe look into something like Fraps to measure your frame rates so that you can see what it's actually running at. Also, 8GB of ram should be fine.