Can it be too big?

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eric_buck

Hey guys my parents recently bought a new TV. Our previous one was 37'' and this one is 55''. I played MW2 a lot, quite competetively up until this new TV came. I'm having trouble playing well and getting good scores. I play with wired headphones so I have to sit 3-4 feet away from the 55'' monster. Am I just not used to it yet or is it too big?  

Also, howdjya like the title?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz
@Eric_Buck: You're going to ruin your eyes if you keep that up. Seriously you need to be somewhere in the region of 7+ feet back from the TV to view it properly.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By guiseppe
@Hamz said:
" @Eric_Buck: You're going to ruin your eyes if you keep that up. Seriously you need to be somewhere in the region of 7+ feet back from the TV to view it properly. "
This. You're way too close to the TV.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By natetodamax
@Hamz said:
"Seriously you need to be somewhere in the region of 7+ feet back from the TV to view it properly. "
Wow, really? I usually sit within 3-5 feet from my TV because I don't have the best eyesight ever.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

Time for a new headset or cable extension

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By guiseppe
@natetodamax said:
" @Hamz said:
"Seriously you need to be somewhere in the region of 7+ feet back from the TV to view it properly. "
Wow, really? I usually sit within 3-5 feet from my TV because I don't have the best eyesight ever. "
Might I suggest getting your eyes checked? You probably need glasses. I did the same thing about a year ago, not knowing my eyes were as bad as they are. I checked them, got my glasses and dude... It's like the world as you know it becomes Ultra HD. It's awesome!
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By alexl86

I'd say 42 is the ideal size for the average livingroom. 55 is pretty big, and you really shouldn't sit so close. I sit about 6-7 feet from my 32 and I sometimes wonder if that's too close.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax
@guiseppe said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Hamz said:
Wow, really? I usually sit within 3-5 feet from my TV because I don't have the best eyesight ever. "
Might I suggest getting your eyes checked? You probably need glasses. I did the same thing about a year ago, not knowing my eyes were as bad as they are. I checked them, got my glasses and dude... It's like the world as you know it becomes Ultra HD. It's awesome! "
I've been wearing glasses for about 2 years now, maybe more.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By rallier

Surely i can not be the only person who did not expect this to be about a TV?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@guiseppe said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @Hamz said:
Might I suggest getting your eyes checked? You probably need glasses. I did the same thing about a year ago, not knowing my eyes were as bad as they are. I checked them, got my glasses and dude... It's like the world as you know it becomes Ultra HD. It's awesome! "
That's something I don't understand, how does someone not know their eyesite is bad?
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Choi
@natetodamax said:
" @guiseppe said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Hamz said:
I've been wearing glasses for about 2 years now, maybe more. "
I can relate, same problem here. My eyesight got worse, despite wearing glasses. We probably need new ones. I sit close to the TV because it's hard for me to see, not because I enjoy it.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By guiseppe
@Asurastrike: If you don't have something to compare it to, how would you know it's bad? It was never a thought I had that my eyesight was bad, I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be.
Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Anund
@Asurastrike: Simple enough... You don't know how well you can see because you've never seen through any eyes other than your own. My mind was blown (figuratively, thanks xkcd) when I, at age 16, realized you could actually see the individual leaves on a tree at range.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I sit really close to a 40" lcd I use as a monitor. 40 is the limit for being up close, 55" you should it back a few feet. If your not playing pc games or watching blue ray movies at 1080p, rather just console games at 720p, it might not be all that good for your eyes up close because it's not sharp, keep some distance until you see a sharp image.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Choi
@Asurastrike said:
" @guiseppe said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @Hamz said:
That's something I don't understand, how does someone not know their eyesite is bad? "
Because it doesn't happen overnight. It's a long and gradual process, and you notice it when compared to someone with better eyesight.  
I noticed my eyesight sucks when I started college and couldn't see what's written on the blackboard but others did with ease. 

And another thing worth noticing is that your eyeballs aren't fully developed and rigid till about 20 years old (after puberty) so you can correct your vision by squinting a lot more. That's what my eye doctor said anyway =)
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By skrutop

I had a 57" TV, and it was way too big for the room.  I downsized to a 52" and even that was too large when I was 8 feet away.  I replaced it with a 46" and that's about perfect for my room.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By asurastrike
@guiseppe said:
" @Asurastrike: If you don't have something to compare it to, how would you know it's bad? It was never a thought I had that my eyesight was bad, I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be. "
But wouldn't you suspect something when you are having a much harder time seeing than anyone else (ie sitting closer to the TV, holding books closer to your face)?
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eric_buck
@hckling: Aww dude me too. Seeing those damn leaves is amazing when you put glasses on. I put my sisters on for fun one day and my mine was blown.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By guiseppe
@Asurastrike said:
" @guiseppe said:
" @Asurastrike: If you don't have something to compare it to, how would you know it's bad? It was never a thought I had that my eyesight was bad, I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be. "
But wouldn't you suspect something when you are having a much harder time seeing than anyone else (ie sitting closer to the TV, holding books closer to your face)? "
Yes, but I wasn't going around asking people, but when they started to comment me about not being able to read the text while everybody else could I went and checked them. Now I probably see better then all of them, it's great! :D.
Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Anund
@Asurastrike: @Asurastrike said:
" @guiseppe said:
But wouldn't you suspect something when you are having a much harder time seeing than anyone else (ie sitting closer to the TV, holding books closer to your face)? "
Yeah, that's when I noticed it. When I couldn't read the subtitles on the TV anymore without moving from my seat and started having problems reading overhead images in school.
AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelKore

I've always found, unless you have a massive lounge room or bedroom, big TV's are really a novelty, as unless you have bad eyesight (which as a few others said you need checked) it can really bring out the visual problems in some games when they are blown up to a massive proportion.
I have my PS3 hooked up to a full-HD 24" monitor, and it's fucking fantastic. I can surf GiantBomb and then look around and start playing BC2, no eyesight problems whatsoever.
I do also find, regardless of how big your TV is, you always end up having the same experience as long as you are at a good length away.
I played a bit of Uncharted 2 on a mates 50", and when I went home and played it on my own monitor, it's the exact same experience because you are drawn into the game, not the screen.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
@Rallier said:
" Surely i can not be the only person who did not expect this to be about a TV? "
You're not :(
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I get it...it was a penis joke. 

It has been said, DON'T SIT SO CLOSE!!! 

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gearhead

I thought this topic was about something else...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Willy105

55 inch?

That's excessive. You aren't on a movie theater.

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By dvaeg

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

*This*

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hitchenson

I was expecting a penis topic ;_;

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By flaminghobo
@Hitchenson: So was I! I feel cheated.
arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By arkasai

Yes televisions in fact can be too large for a room.  A common mistake is being awe-struck at the show room and impulse buying a 40+ inch screen, without considering where it will go.  A big TV looks even bigger once you have all the shit in your house to compare it to side by side.  I used to think an LCD or plasma under 37 inches wasn't suitable for a living room...this is not the case at all.  Depending on the size of your living room, a 32 inch screen can look huge, or if it's as big as my living room a 24 inch screen is passable.  Large screens can often feel more immersive and convey a sense of speed much better than smaller ones, but I like my monitors, they feel fast and ultra crisp.  Cheap too, you can get 1080p screens with HDMI for under $200.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DirrtyNinja
I've never had any compliants.
katajero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By katajero

I find it funny how many people's minds get blown once they tried on their first glasses. Ultra HD eye sight when you get your glasses for the win! :P

But yeah, I got a 32'' TV in my room, but i sit a good 4 or 5 feet away from it and it looks fine, my living room has a 40'' and I sit a good 6 or 7 feet away from that, again with my glasses on, it looks fine to me, you're tv is just too big, and you're sitting too close, that's just it, TOO DAMN CLOSE, GET LONGER HEADPHONES, or a wire to extend the length :(

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Tireyo

You can't ever have a TV that is too big. If I had it my way, I would have a whole theater screen in my house. = - P

Well, truth is, you can have a TV that's too, it's just the matter of finding the right spot for it, making sure it fits somewhere and being able to watch it. You might want to consider a smaller TV.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By RichardLOlson

The decent size t.v. in my opinion would have to be a 5'1 screen t.v. and I say that cause I have that size and it works good for me...

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By habster3

Sorry, but when I opened up this blog my mind was in the gutter.

KEITH1437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KEITH1437
@Rallier: 
You are not alone sir.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By EpicSteve

I asked a girl that once, she said "yea".

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Sit a bit further back. But, yes, it's true. TV sets can be too big if the given room is not big enough.