• 89 results
#51 Posted by pyrodactyl (2050 posts) -

shinji hate has always been bullshit imo.

try dealing with some of the psychologically and otherwise horrifying shit that shinji had to deal with and see how you would act.

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

Yeah but putting him in a main character role, particularly in the movies where he's close to the sole focus, and making him so whinny, again, in the movies he's either complaining or panicings the whole time, isn't really compelling.

#52 Posted by ripelivejam (3980 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

try dealing with some of the psychologically and otherwise horrifying shit that shinji had to deal with and see how you would act.

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

Yeah but putting him in a main character role, particularly in the movies where he's close to the sole focus, and making him so whinny, again, in the movies he's either complaining or panicings the whole time, isn't really compelling.

yeah but you think if he were a scrapping daring do hero with not a care in the world and always ready to take on the enemy that THAT would be compelling? the approach with shinji (especially in the series) is one that i can emphasize with a helluva lot more. and it's not like he never manned up in spectacular fashion (episode 19).

also HOLY FUCK EPISODE 19. one of the best things in any tv/movie/etc EVER.

#53 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@ripelivejam said:

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

yeah but you think if he were a scrapping daring do hero with not a care in the world and always ready to take on the enemy that THAT would be compelling? the approach with shinji (especially in the series) is one that i can emphasize with a helluva lot more. and it's not like he never manned up in spectacular fashion (episode 19).

You know ripelivejam says is true .... that is why Shinjis character is compelling. You just gotta let go about trying to identify with him , in fact I think this is the biggest mistake of western based media , thta we have to forcibly identify ourselves with the protagonist and that that protagonist has to be some sort of heroic mytological perfection. Why limit our enjoyment because the protagonist isnt Superman.

#54 Edited by GinjaAssassin (158 posts) -

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

Agreed.

Fuck. Now I have to go re-watch my EVA boxset.

#55 Edited by pyrodactyl (2050 posts) -

@aetheldod said:
@ripelivejam said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@ripelivejam said:

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

You know ripelivejam says is true .... that is why Shinjis character is compelling. You just gotta let go about trying to identify with him , in fact I think this is the biggest mistake of western based media , thta we have to forcibly identify ourselves with the protagonist and that that protagonist has to be some sort of heroic mytological perfection. Why limit our enjoyment because the protagonist isnt Superman.

That certainly applies to the show because if the many little character moments and more goofy bits. But since I started with the movies I only got the broken shinji without any room to breath.

#56 Posted by smokeyd123 (329 posts) -

@aetheldod said:
@ripelivejam said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@ripelivejam said:

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

That certainly applies to the show because if the many little character moments and more goofy bits. But since I started with the movies I only got the broken shinji without any room to breath.

Which is why you shouldn't start with the movies. Granted, it's far too late for that but go back and watch the show, It's quite good.

#57 Posted by HeavyDuty32 (305 posts) -

No.

#58 Posted by believer258 (11922 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

I haven't ever seen Evangelion past episode 3 or 4 (in part because of Shinji), so take this with a grain of salt, but I've always thought that the series was supposed to be a deconstruction of the whole hot-blooded humongous mecha thing, where they put what might be real people into one of those giant things and tell them that they're the hope of the world and everyone will die if they don't succeed. Instead of using someone who excels at everything he does in a few days where everyone else takes years or so, they used someone who has some real problems on top of the normal emotional baggage of a teenager.

From what I know of the series, I guess I've just taken away that it's not necessarily something you're supposed to take a lot of enjoyment in, it's more like something that makes you give some thought to the other kinds of things in the genre that it's in.

If you want to watch something that is the exact opposite of Neon Genesis Evangelion, then go watch Gurren Lagann.

#59 Edited by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

After 3 movies I'm not quite sure what an angel even is. Or what's EVA. Or what happened at the second impact, or the first one. Or why was Lilith so important. Or why it's so focused on a character that spends 1.9 movie being a whinny loser with daddy issues and 1.1 movie being a giant world ending fuck up.

Because his entire character was partly designed in response to the plethora of super robot pilots that were single mindedly optimistic and hotblooded. It's one of those shows whose title as "influential" is only really understandable when taken in the larger context of the genre. Otherwise, you'll simply see it as a weird show that is perhaps good/bad/average without much else to it.

It's important to remind people that "influential" doesn't necessarily mean good, though Evangelion's popularity and commercial success can't be denied. The series has influenced both thematic elements and character designs, along with production structures and other aspects of anime development on a much larger scale.

#60 Edited by pyrodactyl (2050 posts) -

@believer258: don't worry, I've seen Gurren Lagann. Man is that ending fight stupid.

#61 Posted by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

@ripelivejam I can understand the Shinji hate. Shinji is almost single-handedly responsible for the tidal wave of angsty, whiner protagonists anime and anime inspired media have become infamous for. Look what happened to Final Fantasy protagonists after Evangelion's release. We had to deal with Cloud and Squall before Square finally got things right again with Zidane.

#62 Posted by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@ripelivejam said:

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

I haven't ever seen Evangelion past episode 3 or 4 (in part because of Shinji), so take this with a grain of salt, but I've always thought that the series was supposed to be a deconstruction of the whole hot-blooded humongous mecha thing, where they put what might be real people into one of those giant things and tell them that they're the hope of the world and everyone will die if they don't succeed. Instead of using someone who excels at everything he does in a few days where everyone else takes years or so, they used someone who has some real problems on top of the normal emotional baggage of a teenager.

From what I know of the series, I guess I've just taken away that it's not necessarily something you're supposed to take a lot of enjoyment in, it's more like something that makes you give some thought to the other kinds of things in the genre that it's in.

If you want to watch something that is the exact opposite of Neon Genesis Evangelion, then go watch Gurren Lagann.

It's the whole "wah Hope is so whiny (FFXIII)" thing all over again. Fucking how would you feel if you were put through severe emotional trauma then forced to fight giant monsters in a suit that makes you feel pain/run from the entire government that is trying to MURDER YOU at the age of 14 when your body is a fucked up mess of hormones?

But if you really want to see a fucking deconstruction of the shonen mecha anime genre watch Martian Successor Nadesico.

#63 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

But if you really want to see a fucking deconstruction of the shonen mecha anime genre watch Martian Successor Nadesico.

I wouldn't really call it a deconstruction as the show proper engages in as much of the tropes as the show within a show pokes fun at. It certainly approaches it from a fresh direction though.

@believer258: don't worry, I've seen Gurren Lagann. Man is that ending fight stupid.

If by stupid you mean pretty great, then sure. On a more serious note though, I think you just don't really like the super robot genre, which is fine.

#64 Edited by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

@turambar said:

@starvinggamer said:

I wouldn't really call it a deconstruction as the show proper engages in as much of the tropes as the show within a show pokes fun at. It certainly approaches it from a fresh direction though.

That's kinda the point though right? It engages in all of the tropes in a wink/nod way by having the show parallel its own fictional shonen mecha anime, then puts dark and mature twists on all of it.

#65 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

also HE'S JUST A KID!!!

Yeah, I never understood the hate for Shinji, dude just has some mental issues, personally I find that kind of interesting.

#66 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3321 posts) -

This is why the the Bible was written. Read the novel known as "The Holy Bible" it is a loose literary adaptation of the anime that's spawned a supermassive, devoted fanbase for a long ass time. Really well written and worth reading even if you're not a fan of the show, even if it is a blatant rip off.

#67 Posted by crithon (3273 posts) -

I thought every single anime they did after the end of eva was just an apology, like Gurren Lagann and FLCL.

#68 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IT'S NOT EVEN COMPLETE YET. yes it is a retelling but the series takes a slightly different route. it's definitely worth a watch on its own along with the movie end of evangelion after. don't need to watch death and rebirth though.

#69 Posted by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -

I kind of want to go back and watch the show, but I don't know if I could handle some of the wacky antics/slice of life aspects of the show. The "thermal expansion" bit was funny when I was in middle/high school, but the fact that the characters are like 14 feels like more of an issue now.

That being said, when that show got serious, they threw dark.

#70 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

Starting with the movies seems like the worst way to try and watch that. I remember liking the series, but at this point the only thing I remember is Shinji jerking off on Asuka

#71 Edited by kerse (2114 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

This explains most of Evangelion quite nicely:

Yeah that sounds about right. I thought Evangelion was enjoyable, had a terrible ending, and that people think and talk about it probably too much. I also, for some reason, really like the opening theme song.

#72 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

This probably the clearest, most concise rundown of what actually happens in the series that you'll find.

#73 Posted by theanticitizen (270 posts) -

You should also watch FLCL and try to figure that one out ;) (same team as Eva)

#74 Posted by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

I'd explain Evangelion if it was worth my time. let's just say it's real stupid shit that doesn't matter and call it a day.

The opening song is awesome though. I'd play that forever and ever. So catchy.

#75 Posted by neobendez (14 posts) -

Everybody has become one with each other.

Its about shinji struggling if with the choice between heaven(instrumentality) and individuality.

The movie end of evengelion expands more on the theme

#76 Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

I love Evangelion, my favorite anime, and has two of my many waifus (Rei and Asuka).

If you really want to know about Evangelion it's best just to watch the original anime. Then watch The End of Evangelion. After all that read a wiki to fill in the details you're not too clear on.

I assume the three movies you watched are the Rebuild of Evangelion series, not the best place to start since it's become its own story with the beginning of 3.33.

#77 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1130 posts) -

Uhm...should I watch evangelion after reading this topic?

#78 Posted by ripelivejam (3980 posts) -

everytime i see the word waifu i read it as walrus for some reason lmaoo

#79 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I hope there's somebody out there who does the exact opposite. For @toowalrus' sake.

#80 Posted by TooWalrus (13206 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

I hope there's somebody out there who does the exact opposite. For @toowalrus' sake.

TooWaifu... Well, I guess I know what username I want if I ever make an account on MyAnimeList or something.

#81 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Couldn't tell you man, my mind got fucked after watching that show.

#82 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Uhm...should I watch evangelion after reading this topic?

No you should watch better Animes. Tell me what you like and I can suggest something for you XD

#83 Posted by Mousse_gallon (178 posts) -
#84 Posted by dudeglove (7862 posts) -

Google the laws of super robot anime

#85 Edited by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

There are robots and unlicensed hentai parodies.

That about covers it.

#86 Edited by Zalrus9 (111 posts) -

I used to think Evangelion was way deep and, like, spoke to me, but then I grew up and realized that the show is kind of self indulgent pretentious stuff. However, I do think it's one of the better monster-of-the-week shows and I love the music (can't not love Kom Susser Tod).

You do have to realize that the show's creator was going through a bout of depression when he made it, and it kind of shows. However, it's still the kind of pretentious crap that I can never forgive anime for being sometimes.

I would say, for my money, stick with Tegan Toppa Gurren Lagann. Now that's a Gianax produced show what has giant robots in it that, while kind of dumb, is very hopeful and not needlessly vague. Also doesn't have the main character jack off to the comatose body of a girl!

#87 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

"Not good" sums up everything about that show for me

#88 Posted by Blunt (60 posts) -

1.11 - Get in the robot, Shinji.

2.22 - GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI FUCK YEAH OH SHIT FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

3.33 - Don't get in the robot, Shinji. But get in the robot, Shinji.

4.44 - *scene missing*

#89 Posted by ShaggE (6459 posts) -

I've never seen it, nor do I know anything about it, but I'm pretty sure it's the story of a down-on-his-luck chef who wakes up one day to find that he's an Evangelion, which is a predatory cat that evangelizes to people. I'm 99% sure there's a robotic baby in it, too.

#90 Posted by noizy (667 posts) -

I really liked the ending; it was totally fuckin weird like a David Lynch movie.