#1 Posted by n1Nj4d00m (382 posts) -

So I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the big bang.  From what I understand, the big bang wasn't an explosion of matter, but actually an expansion of space itself.  My question about this is, how does space itself expand?  Where does it expand to? If it is space itself expanding, was there space outside of this space?  SO CONFUSING!

FYI I'm not trying to argue against the big bang theory, just trying to understand this part of it.

#2 Posted by Joker_777 (326 posts) -

Its like a rubber band. That was my science teacher's explanation.

#3 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2460 posts) -
#4 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

It's this comedy show on CBS that's a combination of geeks and being totally unfunny.  I can understand why you don't get it; I sure don't.

#5 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Jesus and Budda were fighting over the last Twinkie, and God was sick of it, so he blew everything up... and created life... or something like that...

#6 Posted by Yakow_93 (70 posts) -

Scientiest figured out that stars and galaxies move away from each other. 
That means that long ago they were reallly close.  In the big bang everything moved away from each other and time and space was created. 
There was nothing "before" the big bang because there was no time.  Check out this podcast  http://365daysofastronomy.org/2010/02/23/february-23rd-where-is-the-center-of-the-universe/  
This video is also informative  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9cYTZXekA
Also if youre really interested in all the details I suggest that you check out the wikipedia, and i really reccomend watching tv show Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

#7 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3085 posts) -

Simple. The universe was created by Vegeta and his Big Bang Attack.

#8 Edited by MostlyHeadless (116 posts) -
This documentary goes pretty in depth with a theory of the cause of The Big Bang using parallel universes as a jumping off point. 

Explaining what exactly the big bang is/was is difficult because what the words "Big Bang" or "Horrendous Space Kablooie" really are, are a simplified way of explaining something much more complex than even what scientists can understand at this point. Science has been able to trace the origin of the universe so far back to a point where the laws of physics just seem to just break down. So what we DO know is that the universe expanded from a very small point in space (The Big Bang) but what exactly caused it is still a mystery. And really, any kind of theory – from the existence of god to parallel universes – can go towards trying to explain what actually caused the big bang. But they are all just theories and are neither wrong nor right at this point as we lack the knowledge to prove or disprove them. 
#9 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1471 posts) -

In the beginning there was nothing... 
which exploded.
#10 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

In the beginning, everything was in one place for no particular reason, which exploded.  

But seriously, there are some things about the big bang theory that confuses me as well.  If the bang only occured because all matter in the universe was moving and converging into one point, what caused it to move to the point in the first place.  Does the universe move on a cycle of contraction and then expansion then?  If not (which is theorized given heavenly bodies are moving apart at an increasing, not decreasing rate), then what caused the contraction in the first place?

#11 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#12 Posted by Zajtalan (1153 posts) -

its not real

#13 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

God farted it.

#14 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6654 posts) -

This isn't going to end well...

@Zajtalan said:

" its not real "

He didn't say he though it was real and OP didn't ask for your opinion either. He wants to gain knowledge and not be an ignorant fool.
#15 Posted by n1Nj4d00m (382 posts) -

But how does cosmic inflation work?!?!?!?  I don't get it.  If space is "inflating" or expanding, what is it expanding into?!?!?!?!

#16 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Something about static on our TVs..bleh

#17 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

The big bang was superorganized mass. Why was it superorganized? 
Well the new red herring for scientists is a metaverse. Its a great way to avoid the answer.

#18 Posted by n1Nj4d00m (382 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" The big bang was superorganized mass. Why was it superorganized? Well the new red herring for scientists is a metaverse. Its a great way to avoid the answer. "
huh?
#19 Posted by Tofford (523 posts) -
@yani said:
"   In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
Amazing hitchhikers guide quote dude
#20 Posted by TheWesman (378 posts) -
@n1Nj4d00m said:
" But how does cosmic inflation work?!?!?!?  I don't get it.  If space is "inflating" or expanding, what is it expanding into?!?!?!?! "
It sounds like your problem isn't with the concept.  You are struggling getting your mind around the idea that space is infinite.  That's a hard concept to just accept.  If it's expanding as they say, which is logical considering the dispersion of energy, then it will continue to expand and dissipate.  The "Where?" question has not been answered.  We can only "see" where light or some other form of radiation is present, we can only calculate things that are calculable.  The limits of the universe or the "boundaries" can't be defined so simply.  In other words, it's not like Futurama where there's an edge to the universe.

And as for time, time is a human measurement so that our minds can deal with the flow of things.  For example, our minds are built to work on a sleep schedule due to day and night cycles.  Time does not exist outside of our minds and our clocks.
#21 Posted by TooWalrus (12985 posts) -

Nothing exploded into the universe. Makes sense, right?

#22 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -
@n1Nj4d00m said:
" So I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the big bang.  From what I understand, the big bang wasn't an explosion of matter, but actually an expansion of space itself.  My question about this is, how does space itself expand?  Where does it expand to? If it is space itself expanding, was there space outside of this space?  SO CONFUSING! FYI I'm not trying to argue against the big bang theory, just trying to understand this part of it. "
actually you are right.  
Leading scientists now believe there isn't exactly a "UNI"verse but actually a "MULTI"verse inwhich big bangs happen often and mutliple universes exist. 
#23 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I heard the big bang is cyclic and happened more than once

#24 Edited by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:

" I heard the big bang is cyclic and happened more than once "

yeah thats what they think.  
the universe collapses into a tiny ball practically and then explodes again to restart. mind blowing.  

this is where i pretty much got the gist of this craziness: 

#25 Posted by masterherocard (419 posts) -

In the begginning, the universe was created.  
This has made a lot of peo-oh wait, someone beat me too it. 
#26 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

I believe that Earth is merely a molecule in some really boring object...Like a table leg. Now imagine that.

#27 Posted by DewRequired (122 posts) -

No, cause it's not real.

#28 Posted by Deadmanforking (559 posts) -

Simple, 
Big; Somthing that is large.
Bang: A loud noise. 

SO...The big bang is a large noise.

#29 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@OutOfBounds9000 said:

"
God farted it.

"
so.... this is funny?
#30 Posted by EdTwo (469 posts) -
@n1Nj4d00m: Yeah, I get confused too at this. What really confuses me is that before the Big Bang there was nothing, right? But how can there be nothing and yet have mass condense and expand. Where the fuck did that mass come from how the fuck did it condense if there is nothing!!! BRAIN FUCK!!
#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19171 posts) -

Your questions are for smart people.  Not the Giant Bomb forums.

#32 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:

Oscillatory universe (from Wikipedia):  

The oscillating universe theory is a cosmological model investigated briefly by Albert Einstein in 1930 and critiqued by Richard Tolman in 1934, in which the universe undergoes a series of oscillations, each beginning with a big bang and ending with a big crunch. After the big bang, the universe expands for a while before the gravitational attraction of matter causes it to collapse back in and undergo a bounce.

The Universe then may begin anew in a new Big Bang-type expansion and repeated this cycle over and over again.  Of course, none of this explains where the spec of dust that forms the universe came from.  I'll leave that to theorists, theologians and philosophers.  

The question is, after each explosion and collapse, are we doomed to relive our lives ad infinitum?   Will in each life path we make the same mistakes and experience the same failures even though we have lived these lives before?  Or do we instinctively take what we have learn in our previous lives and apply it with hopefully better results?
#33 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

"The singularity is about to explode!"
"Weapons at maximum."

To quote my favorite Stargate episode.

#34 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2042 posts) -

Huge explosion. Universe created from the explosion. That's it in a nutshell.

#35 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

When two fat people decide to get it on, it's called a big bang.

#36 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3660 posts) -
@yani said:
"   In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
Fuck yeah.
#37 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Stephen Hawking has some good popular science works on the subject.

Want more detail than that, you might consider going to a university. ;)

#38 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I understand it stretched itself out, but thinking about it gives me a headache pretty fast 

#39 Posted by agentboolen (1734 posts) -
@OutOfBounds9000 said:

"
God farted it.

"
This Family Guy Clip explains all you need to know about the Big Bang.
#40 Posted by pplus0440 (260 posts) -
@n1Nj4d00m:
you know how in cartoons the charecters go into the like white zone where there is nothing there? It is in like every cartoon ever at some point. They run off the right side of the screen and appear on the left? that is sort of making fun of the idea. Do you know how a black hole was once a HUGE star, but then all the gravity of the incredible mass causes it to collapse on itself? think everything on earth packed into a basketball. HUGE. right so the idea is that everything in the universe was at some point all packed into a very  very small spot, and then kabang. that explains motions of the starts and galaxies we can see from earth. obviosly they cannot answer what caused it, or what existed in the universe in which ours existed as as mall dense object. The only theories we got are that our universe is obviosly a 4 or 3 dimension universe, but there have been about 27 dimensions proposed. A dimension remember is a right angle from a point. So 2d is mario going up down and to the right. 3d adds another right angle which allows mario to go up down left right forward or backwards or combine vectors to go in combinations of the 3. Noone can really draw a 4th right angle but proposed 4 is time. 2d mario cannot experience anything in the 3rd dimension. Humans cannot experience anything inthe 5th dimension. atleast with current technology. So there could be 5d laws of nature, physics and ofcourse, aliens or something who knows? something we cant experience caused the big bang. maybe that crazy descartes was on to soemthing? maybe God?  
which reminds me, agnostic is understandable, but your crazy if your atheist. we are a long way from saying no god.
#41 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" @Whisperkill said:

Oscillatory universe (from Wikipedia):  

The oscillating universe theory is a cosmological model investigated briefly by Albert Einstein in 1930 and critiqued by Richard Tolman in 1934, in which the universe undergoes a series of oscillations, each beginning with a big bang and ending with a big crunch. After the big bang, the universe expands for a while before the gravitational attraction of matter causes it to collapse back in and undergo a bounce.

The Universe then may begin anew in a new Big Bang-type expansion and repeated this cycle over and over again.  Of course, none of this explains where the spec of dust that forms the universe came from.  I'll leave that to theorists, theologians and philosophers.    The question is, after each explosion and collapse, are we doomed to relive our lives ad infinitum?   Will in each life path we make the same mistakes and experience the same failures even though we have lived these lives before?  Or do we instinctively take what we have learn in our previous lives and apply it with hopefully better results? "
What? Nobody is going to remember their past lives, if you even think something like that even happens. 
#42 Posted by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -
@EdTwo said:
" @n1Nj4d00m: Yeah, I get confused too at this. What really confuses me is that before the Big Bang there was nothing, right? But how can there be nothing and yet have mass condense and expand. Where the fuck did that mass come from how the fuck did it condense if there is nothing!!! BRAIN FUCK!! "
No...there was everything. Just in one small spot. What I find confusing is..what is the universe expanding into?
#43 Posted by n1Nj4d00m (382 posts) -
@lazyturtle said:

" @EdTwo said:

" @n1Nj4d00m: Yeah, I get confused too at this. What really confuses me is that before the Big Bang there was nothing, right? But how can there be nothing and yet have mass condense and expand. Where the fuck did that mass come from how the fuck did it condense if there is nothing!!! BRAIN FUCK!! "
No...there was everything. Just in one small spot. What I find confusing is..what is the universe expanding into? "
exactly.  supposedly space ITSELF is expanding, not just the stuff inside the space.  So where is it going?  How is it expanding?