#1 Posted by DriveupLife (915 posts) -

I love Californication. Loooooove it. Sex, drugs and rock and roll is my thing. Besides waiting around for the 4th season of Arrested Development in May, I'd like to watch something else. Taking this vital piece of information, can someone recommend me a show? I want it to be more of a dark drama, not a comedy. Something close to the "sex soap opera" feeling of californication.

Thanks for the help!

#2 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Breaking bad.

#3 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

The Wire.

It's not a "sex soap opera" it's just really fucking good.

#4 Posted by Undeadpool (4936 posts) -

@bestusernameever said:

Breaking bad.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah. I basically marathoned everyone of this show on Netflix Instant and WOW. It's an absolutely amazing ride. If you're looking to have some acerbic chuckles: Black Books and IT Crowd are both fantastic. If you want a more "sex soap opera" feel, try Game of Thrones.

#5 Posted by cmpLtNOOb (195 posts) -

I really liked House of Cards.

#6 Posted by Sinusoidal (1482 posts) -

I just watched season 1 and 2 of American Horror Story. It's easily one of the best things on TV right now. It's incredibly refreshing to watch a story on TV that has a beginning, middle and end. The latter being something most series these days eschew in favor of increasingly complicated - to the point of nonsense - plots so they can keep their sorry asses on the air until ad revenue isn't sufficient to justify their existence anymore. Not that the plot on AHS isn't occasionally a little overly-convoluted. At least they keep their plots confined to one season of the show, and they actually have, y'know, a resolution.

#7 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Justified.

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

Breaking Bad for sure.

The first 5 seasons of X-Files.

#9 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

I love Californication. Loooooove it. Sex, drugs and rock and roll is my thing. Besides waiting around for the 4th season of Arrested Development in May, I'd like to watch something else. Taking this vital piece of information, can someone recommend me a show? I want it to be more of a dark drama, not a comedy. Something close to the "sex soap opera" feeling of californication.

Thanks for the help!

Oh! Lillyhammer. That's all I got.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

Dexter too. It can be pretty dark at times. Well the premise of the show is extremely dark but they do lighten things up with humor. Anyway it's great if somewhat uneven.

#11 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Breaking Bad

#12 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I've been watching pretty little liars, which is interesting and also features Nolan North in an actual live action role.

#13 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

As many have already mentioned, you can't go wrong with Breaking Bad and House of Cards is pretty great as well.

#14 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

Lost. Obviously.

#15 Posted by TheMathlete (323 posts) -

The Wire.

It's not a "sex soap opera" it's just really fucking good.

Have to agree with this guy. I also picked up the first season of Treme. That's pretty good so far.

#16 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
#17 Posted by DougCL (214 posts) -

Utopia? its a british conspiracy show and its bonkers. definitely really dark.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

It doesn't get much darker than the Wire.

It also doesn't get much better than the Wire.

#19 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Try House of cards.

#20 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

No show is more easily recommendable than The Wire.

#21 Edited by itspizza (434 posts) -

If you like sex and drugs, mad men has plenty of that, plus having some of the best writing for a tv show ever. It's slow to get rolling, but once it does you see why it's won like 50 Emmys

#22 Edited by zFUBARz (627 posts) -
  • House of Cards is good if you have netflix
  • Dexter
  • Nurse Jackie
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • In Treatment is very under rated
  • Oz (I mean replace the rock and roll with gangsters and the sex with prison rape, but otherwise it's all there.)
  • Spaced (Dark and weird but funny.)
  • Game of Thrones
  • Boardwalk Empires (haven't seen it myself but I've got the first two seasons waiting to go because of all the good recommendations.)
  • Sherlock (not sex drugs and rock and roll but still fantastic)
  • Archer (sure it's funny but it's also sex drugs rock and roll and secret agents)
  • Samurai Jack (one of the best shows ever made)
  • Entourage (sure the're douchebags but it is sex drugs and rock and roll to a T)

I'm forgetting a million things but if none of those work for you then you are dead inside.

#23 Edited by Meltac (2002 posts) -

You should definitely check out Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

#24 Edited by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

If you want more mindless sex drugs and rock n' roll (Californication) then you gotta go with Entourage. It's not dark but it's good. If you want just sex that gets dark eventually and you don't mind lesbians then go with The L Word.

But if you want to the best tv show ever made then watch The Wire.

#25 Edited by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

You should try Homeland, Justified, or house of cards.

#26 Edited by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

Game of Thrones has plenty of sex and violence.

#27 Posted by Ravelle (1261 posts) -

@driveuplife said:

Thanks for the help!

Oh! Lillyhammer. That's all I got.

Californication has been on repeat for the last 2-3 seasons with not that much of progression though. But it's a fun show to watch.

#28 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

if you played red dead and enjoyed it

DEADWOOD. WATCH DEADWOOD, RIGHT NOW.

#29 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

SIX FEET UNDER

#30 Posted by kroonberg (27 posts) -

"Breaking Bad" and "House of Cards"

("Game of Thrones", maybe not what you're looking for but awesome nonetheless)

#31 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Utopia. You may have to use some.....extralegal means to get it. Well worth ignoring international copyright law for.

Misfits, Four Lions and V For Vendetta fans take note!

#32 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Don't bother waiting for Utopia to come out in the states. I just recently watched the third episode and there is seriously no fucking way this show will make it to American broadcast television. Hulu probably won't even have the balls to touch it after the Sandy Hook shooting.I might be playing it fast and loose with the rules here.......but there is a significant chance that you will have to resort to extralegal means of acquiring content in order to view this uncensored.

That's cool right mods? No websites or specific software named? I don't want a torrent of dirty looks from you guys.

#33 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Highly recommend The Shield to anyone who hasn't seen it before.

#34 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

Twin Peaks, just started last week with the wife for the first time and we are hooked. It is also only 30 episodes and a movie so it's pretty short entry point. WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER? Do you know?

#35 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@snide said:

Highly recommend The Shield to anyone who hasn't seen it before.

The Shield is also awesome.

#36 Posted by TheHT (11241 posts) -

I've been marathoning Justified and squeezed in House of Cards during season 3. Both are great!

As others pointed out, Breaking Bad is fantastic. Game of Thrones as well, and I've been looking to start watchin Boardwalk Empire.

Also True Blood (seasons 1 and 3) and Homeland are great.

#37 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

You would probably like Sopranos! or maybe The Mentalist? :)

#38 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

There are no TV shows with spaceships running right now and it is draining my life force.

#39 Posted by Optix12 (613 posts) -

For Dark Drama I suggest Black Mirror. Its a british miniseries the second season is currently running and ive only watched 2 (of 3) of the first season and I am absolutely loving it completely. Its written by Charlie Brooker (who I think is a genius) and features some great british actors (some from Downton Abbey) where each episode is a mini story in itself.
A Comedy sex soap series that might be too much comedy for what youre looking for, but early seasons of weeds is pretty good.