Can someone younger play during the Super Bowl halftime show?

• 51 results
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Wolverine
Since 2004, when Janet Jackson's "wardrope malfunction" shocked America and embarrassed the NFL, Viacom, and the FCC every performer during the Super Bowl halftime show has been middle aged. Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen are all great musicians and might get my mom and all of her friends excited but why not have some new musicians play during the Super Bowl to get younger people interested in watching the halftime show instead of it being the best time for people my age to grab a snack. 
Just because Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlakemade a huge mistake during the Super Bowl doesn't mean all young musicians would. Why not have current musicians play during halftime like John Mayer, The Killers or Weezer instead of their older counterparts. I think that would make the halftime show much more entertaining for everyone. I've got nothing against "The Boss" but I will be thrilled if whoever preforms at the next Super Bowl halftime show is at least under forty.

My blog is at yesterdaybegins.com
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wolverine
Since 2004, when Janet Jackson's "wardrope malfunction" shocked America and embarrassed the NFL, Viacom, and the FCC every performer during the Super Bowl halftime show has been middle aged. Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen are all great musicians and might get my mom and all of her friends excited but why not have some new musicians play during the Super Bowl to get younger people interested in watching the halftime show instead of it being the best time for people my age to grab a snack. 
Just because Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlakemade a huge mistake during the Super Bowl doesn't mean all young musicians would. Why not have current musicians play during halftime like John Mayer, The Killers or Weezer instead of their older counterparts. I think that would make the halftime show much more entertaining for everyone. I've got nothing against "The Boss" but I will be thrilled if whoever preforms at the next Super Bowl halftime show is at least under forty.

My blog is at yesterdaybegins.com
Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bonesofwar

Because no 38 year old man wants to watch The Jonas Brothers play during half time. Plus, no one really cares about half time anyway, no worthwhile musician would ever want or be allowed to play half time.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolverine

I hate the Jonas Brothers and would never want to see them play but how about the bands I mentioned in my blog?

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By lamegame621

True, but they would PROBABLY pick someone really gay like the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Come on man, the majority of people want to see people like Tom Petty and Paul McCartney because everyone's not young like us.

Plus those guys kick ass.

I'm trying to push Springsteen out of my mind...ugh

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd actually watch the Superbowl if someone half decent played.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Van Halen for halftime?  I think so!

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hexpane

If the Jonas Brothers got up on stage and ate each other's salads the ratings would have been "off the chain" as you poketots like to say

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Gunner
Hexpane said:
"If the Jonas Brothers got up on stage and ate each other's salads the ratings would have been "off the chain" as you poketots like to say"
Thats so last month, get with it old man.

I would like to see someone else besides a classic rock legend or a pop star sing at a super bowl halftime for once.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By BlackWaterCO
Gunner said:
"Hexpane said:
"If the Jonas Brothers got up on stage and ate each other's salads the ratings would have been "off the chain" as you poketots like to say"

I would like to see someone else besides a classic rock legend or a pop star sing at a super bowl halftime for once."
Shut up. Respect your elders #1

#2, I guess if they played Killing Fields by Slayer the Super Bowl would be better, but that ain't gunna happen
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fr0br0

How the hell can you not be satisfied with Prince? He had a guitar penis for god sakes!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

I know i'm a rookie but having seen ever Superbowl since 2000, I can safely say Springsteen is the best half time show by a long way and he had what seemed like the least flashy stage and minimal fireworks. The reason why he's the best? Because he's the best. Age has nothing to do with it.

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lodar011

I agree that a band like The Killers would be awesome.  However to say nobody under 40 cares about Bruce Springsteen or the others that have played since 2004 is insane.  Me and all my friends are in the 21-26 year old range and one guy's favorite artist is Bruce Springsteen.  My favorite band is Radiohead, but I am able to appreciate older bands/artists like The Boss and Paul McCartney.  Now, if only they could get Bob Dylan for the halftime show.....

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Halftime is official 'go to get more snacks and drinks' time. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Systech

At that half-time show, I was craving me some Foo Fighters. I totally agree with you.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lamegame621
jakob187 said:
"Van Halen for halftime?  I think so!"
Diamond Dave or not at all :|
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PercyChuggs

I'm surprised so many people care about a halftime show. Halftime is when you go drop a wing/pizza filled deuce, throw the football around outside with your buddies, or just do something else besides sit and watch TV. It's halftime for the viewers as well, take a break from the TV.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snipzor
Wolverine said:
"I hate the Jonas Brothers and would never want to see them play but how about the bands I mentioned in my blog?"
Would like to mention that those bands suck just as bad as... no wait that's impossible. They just suck okay.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Virago

i was disappointed for sure. but bruce... he's an american icon. where else can you find an ego that big?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Milkman
Bucketdeth said:
"I'd actually watch the Superbowl if someone half decent played."
What does that even mean? How are the teams in the Super Bowl not "decent"? They're the best teams in the league. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE GAME!
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bulldog19892

Weezer could be a cool half time show, granted they play earlier stuff like "My Name Is Jonas" or "Say It Ain't So" and refrain from the more depressing stuff like "Tired of Sex" or "Why Bother". Arcade Fire could make for an interesting halftime show, but I don't know whether they'd do it or not.

I'd laugh pretty hard if they got Fugazi to play.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gunner
BlackWaterCO said:
"Gunner said:
"Hexpane said:

I would like to see someone else besides a classic rock legend or a pop star sing at a super bowl halftime for once."
Shut up. Respect your elders #1"
No... Whatcha gunna do about it?

It doesnt need to be a metal band, yeah it would be kinda badass but i can see the possibility of a alt. rock or even a major punk rock band playing at halftime.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's because younger musicians suck. For too long, you had people like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake performing at half-time. Let me tell you something about football, man. Football fans, they don't like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. Finally the Super Bowl has begun catering to the audience of the real fans. A few years ago, Ashlee Simpson performed during half-time at the Orange Bowl. Afterwards, the entire crowd booed and it was a thing of beauty and absolute hilarity. But do you know why they all booed? It's not just because she sucks, but dude, c'mon, she is absolutely the wrong choice for that audience. Football is a sport for men, not teenage girls.

Also, Bruce Springsteen is the freaking man. You'd do yourself some good to sit down and listen to The Boss. Dude, by the way, this thread is blowing my mind. How can somebody possibly complain about PAUL MCCARTNEY, THE ROLLING STONES, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN? They're some of the greatest musicians in the history of music, dude.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

no way dude, when mtv was doing the half times, they were way fucking over board and just ridiculous. they turned into their dumbass music awards extravaganza kinda shit, whereas nowadays they get someone who is a truely talented and they actually play the music and actually sing it. basically they are there to show true professionalism. but i think the main point is that these guys so far have seriously classic rock hits that mostly everyone knows and loves and the whole crowd can get into it. i mean, do we really need some teeny bopper there?? what would the guys in the audience do during half times for real? justin timberlake?! sissy boy. the last three guys are real MEN and all guys respect them. not somebody like timberlake at all though. 

btw, John Mayer half time super bowl.....are you fucking kidding me?! haha unless he is playing with his blues trio, that shit would bore the fuck out the audience (mostly men)...i mean, have you ever been to his concerts?! all middle aged women are there lol. 
and the killers? you mine as well have timberlake back up there. yuck. there play whiny fuckin pop songs. that has no place at a super bowl. 
i'm all about having someone younger step up. but they darn well better have songs that everyone knows and likes. because john mayer and the killers sure as hell don't.
and bulldog. this isn't conan obrien buddy. there will never be arcade fire or fugazi at the super bowl. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milkman said:
"Bucketdeth said:
What does that even mean? How are the teams in the Super Bowl not "decent"? They're the best teams in the league. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE GAME!"
I meant the music in halftime, I don`t watch the superbowl, but if someone good played I would watch that part of the show.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Snipzor
TheGreatGuero said:
How can somebody possibly complain about PAUL MCCARTNEY, THE ROLLING STONES, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN? They're some of the greatest musicians in the history of music, dude."
Believe me, I'll find a way.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cheapoz
Snipzor said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
How can somebody possibly complain about PAUL MCCARTNEY, THE ROLLING STONES, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN? They're some of the greatest musicians in the history of music, dude."
Believe me, I'll find a way."
Internet strikes again.
You get Springsteen up there because he'll rock it night after night after night after night. The Killers (as much as I loved them before their latest album) could pull out some weird crap and alienate everyone.

If you can't enjoy Springsteen, you don't enjoy life.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Football. Meh.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Next time they should just get an orchaestra to play some mozart or vivaldi.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gunner
TheGreatGuero said:
"It's because younger musicians suck. For too long, you had people like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake performing at half-time. Let me tell you something about football, man. Football fans, they don't like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. Finally the Super Bowl has begun catering to the audience of the real fans. A few years ago, Ashlee Simpson performed during half-time at the Orange Bowl. Afterwards, the entire crowd booed and it was a thing of beauty and absolute hilarity. But do you know why they all booed? It's not just because she sucks, but dude, c'mon, she is absolutely the wrong choice for that audience. Football is a sport for men, not teenage girls.

Also, Bruce Springsteen is the freaking man. You'd do yourself some good to sit down and listen to The Boss. Dude, by the way, this thread is blowing my mind. How can somebody possibly complain about PAUL MCCARTNEY, THE ROLLING STONES, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN? They're some of the greatest musicians in the history of music, dude."
Yeah but when you have that music pounded into your skull your entire life it makes you want to vomit. Don't get me wrong, they are legends at what they do but its time for a new lineup.
MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrGetBonus

Dude! That one show with Aerosmith, Nelly, Mary J. Blige, Nelly, and NSync was the bee's knees man. Those were the days....

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By granderojo
Bucketdeth said:
dude two words...BUCKET HEAD
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb

I thought Prince's half time show was fucking amazing.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Red

Because new music that people know is horrible and new music people don't know the average superbowl watcher doesn't care about. The superbowl is all about hard rock (and maybe the new superbowl is about rap) so dudes don't wanna see some overrated 20 year olds sing a song about how they broke up with their girlfriend.

Superbowl is man-time and I highly doubt new music (besides rap which does annoy a lot of the older superbowl audience) is man-music.
It just wouldn't work and it'd piss off a lot more of the core superbowl audience than make some college students be like "WOAH, I'M GONNA WATCH FOOTBALL BECAUSE JOHN FRIGGIN' MEYER IS SINGING" 
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow2K6
Cheapoz said:
"Snipzor said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
Internet strikes again.
You get Springsteen up there because he'll rock it night after night after night after night. The Killers (as much as I loved them before their latest album) could pull out some weird crap and alienate everyone.

"

I guess I don't enjoy life.

Either way.  I rather prefer a decent Metal band (which would probably never happened) then someone like Springsteen who is obviously past his prime and no one under 40 cares about.

To be short.  Half-time will always blow.  Its the time to leave and get more food.  Why do you think 99% of the time the people performing are either pop artists or artists over the hill?
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hexpane
Fr0Br0 said:
"How the hell can you not be satisfied with Prince? He had a guitar penis for god sakes!"
Prince has talent, but that show the roadie had fucked up his guitar tuning, so it sounded like ass.

The last stats I saw the other day about NFL shows that 69% of people who consider themselves NFL fans are aged 35+.  I read the reference in some story about how John Madden is old and makes broadcasting mistakes but no one cares because he is madden. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayge_
TheGreatGuero said:
"Also, Bruce Springsteen is the freaking man. You'd do yourself some good to sit down and listen to The Boss. Dude, by the way, this thread is blowing my mind. How can somebody possibly complain about PAUL MCCARTNEY, THE ROLLING STONES, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN? They're some of the greatest musicians in the history of music, dude."
I don't understand why anyone thought the Rolling Stones were ever good. Paul McCartney needs to crawl off in a hole somewhere, and there are only two songs by Bruce Springsteen that you'd ever catch me dead listening to by choice. It's possible.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead
thabigred said:
"Bucketdeth said:
dude two words...BUCKET HEAD"
Why don't you two just high five, down a keg, throw up the horns and get it over with already.
pepper_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pepper_2000

Age doesn't factor into it. All about skill man.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Megalon
get2sammyb said:
"I thought Prince's half time show was fucking amazing."
Absolutely right. 
Jayge said:
"I don't understand why anyone thought the Rolling Stones were ever good. Paul McCartney needs to crawl off in a hole somewhere, and there are only two songs by Bruce Springsteen that you'd ever catch me dead listening to by choice. It's possible."
Listen kids, a little classic rock never hurt anyone. Usually when people slam legendary bands like the Rolling Stones or the Beatles or whoever, it's because they just like to be condescending and disagreeable, not because they have any actual reason for hating said bands. 

If you really don't like what most people consider to be some of the greatest musicians of all time, good for you. Have fun listening to whatever music you currently like in blissful ignorance. 
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wolverine
lodar011 said:
"I agree that a band like The Killers would be awesome.  However to say nobody under 40 cares about Bruce Springsteen or the others that have played since 2004 is insane.  Me and all my friends are in the 21-26 year old range and one guy's favorite artist is Bruce Springsteen.  My favorite band is Radiohead, but I am able to appreciate older bands/artists like The Boss and Paul McCartney.  Now, if only they could get Bob Dylan for the halftime show....."
I never said no one under forty cares about these older musicians. I love Paul McCartney, hell I have seven Beatles posters in my room. I just would like to see a more diverse group of musicians play during halftime.
OldManLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By OldManLollipop
Megalon said:
"get2sammyb said:
Absolutely right. 
Jayge said:
"I don't understand why anyone thought the Rolling Stones were ever good. Paul McCartney needs to crawl off in a hole somewhere, and there are only two songs by Bruce Springsteen that you'd ever catch me dead listening to by choice. It's possible."
Listen kids, a little classic rock never hurt anyone. Usually when people slam legendary bands like the Rolling Stones or the Beatles or whoever, it's because they just like to be condescending and disagreeable, not because they have any actual reason for hating said bands. 

If you really don't like what most people consider to be some of the greatest musicians of all time, good for you. Have fun listening to whatever music you currently like in blissful ignorance. 
"
Luckily you're not being condescending and disagreeable!
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Megalon
OldManLollipop said:
"Megalon said:
"get2sammyb said:
Absolutely right. 
Jayge said:

"
Luckily you're not being condescending and disagreeable!"
Am not. And I'm better than you.
/irony
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayge_
Megalon said:
"Listen kids, a little classic rock never hurt anyone. Usually when people slam legendary bands like the Rolling Stones or the Beatles or whoever, it's because they just like to be condescending and disagreeable, not because they have any actual reason for hating said bands.

"
I have an intense dislike for your "legendary bands". Grow some balls and deal with it, or cry more. I don't care either way.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Megalon
Jayge said:
"Megalon said:
"Listen kids, a little classic rock never hurt anyone. Usually when people slam legendary bands like the Rolling Stones or the Beatles or whoever, it's because they just like to be condescending and disagreeable, not because they have any actual reason for hating said bands.

"
I have an intense dislike for your "legendary bands". Grow some balls and deal with it, or cry more. I don't care either way."
That's fine dude, you're allowed to like and dislike whomever you want. Does saying that make my balls big enough for your liking? 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayge_
Megalon said:
"That's fine dude, you're allowed to like and dislike whomever you want. Does saying that make my balls big enough for your liking? 
"
I only enjoy the biggest of balls.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Megalon
Jayge said:
"Megalon said:
"That's fine dude, you're allowed to like and dislike whomever you want. Does saying that make my balls big enough for your liking? "
I only enjoy the biggest of balls."
So you're like the opposite of Michael Jackson is what you're saying?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jayge_
Megalon said:
"Jayge said:
"Megalon said:
"That's fine dude, you're allowed to like and dislike whomever you want. Does saying that make my balls big enough for your liking? "
I only enjoy the biggest of balls."
So you're like the opposite of Michael Jackson is what you're saying?"

Something like these.
Something like these.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cheapoz
Shadow2K6 said:
"Cheapoz said:
"Snipzor said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
Internet strikes again.

"

I guess I don't enjoy life.

Either way.  I rather prefer a decent Metal band (which would probably never happened) then someone like Springsteen who is obviously past his prime and no one under 40 cares about.

To be short.  Half-time will always blow.  Its the time to leave and get more food.  Why do you think 99% of the time the people performing are either pop artists or artists over the hill?"
Metal would alienate the majority of superbowl viewers. It's not all about you.
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By GamespotNoMore

yeah but you know what's weird is when you think about it Janet Jackson is totally middle aged, she is a baby boomer, Justin Timberlake he's young, and I hated how he got like none of the blame and it was all put upon Janet and she had to go into hiding for a few months, but they barely picked on Justin, double standard to me..and was so unfair..having said that inviting Janet Jackson and Timberlake back would actually be one of the safest moves for halftime, because you KNOW they are not goin to be STUPID enough to do it twice on National Television, at least I hope not..Janet's not that stupid anyway..Justin, well he should leave the thinking to others and do what he does best which is dance, and star in those Super Bowl Commercials I think they were Doritos commercials ( a year or two ago) and collaboarting with Timbalake so they could become ONE as Timbralake