Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I was just surfing around today and as I hit articles that seem interesting enough for me to actually click, I'll click it to open in a new tab and just continue down the page til I hit the end and I'll just go through all the new tabs I have. Well, when I went to an article on www.geekscoop.net I totally thought I had clicked on a GB link. I mean the layout, the buttons and the placement of everything is the same as GB.

I'm not sure if the Gb crew should be flattered, or start calling lawyers over this. I really have no idea if a website's layout can indeed be copyrighted. Or, just maybe, GB had indeed just used a template and I have finally found another website the uses the same template. Who knows? I tried to click around the website to see if maybe some parent company was indeed the link between GB or something that would make sense in having some other website use the same template, based on shared assets or something, but the site seems fairly new.

I don't know, maybe somebody can school me on this topic.

#1 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I was just surfing around today and as I hit articles that seem interesting enough for me to actually click, I'll click it to open in a new tab and just continue down the page til I hit the end and I'll just go through all the new tabs I have. Well, when I went to an article on www.geekscoop.net I totally thought I had clicked on a GB link. I mean the layout, the buttons and the placement of everything is the same as GB.

I'm not sure if the Gb crew should be flattered, or start calling lawyers over this. I really have no idea if a website's layout can indeed be copyrighted. Or, just maybe, GB had indeed just used a template and I have finally found another website the uses the same template. Who knows? I tried to click around the website to see if maybe some parent company was indeed the link between GB or something that would make sense in having some other website use the same template, based on shared assets or something, but the site seems fairly new.

I don't know, maybe somebody can school me on this topic.

#2 Posted by UlquioKani (1121 posts) -

That top bar and the colour scheme are very similar, especially the search.

#3 Posted by ashbash (370 posts) -

gamebomb.ru

#4 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

Aside from the color scheme and some aspects of the top nav bar, I don't think it's similar enough to be prompt any sort of litigation. Considering that GameBomb.ru is still a thing, I definitely don't think this little blog has anything to worry about.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

gamebomb.ru is the best site!

#6 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@StaticFalconar: I'm pretty sure you can't copyright a website layout.

But anyway, Dave has said before that he's flattered if people think his and Alexis' design is good enough to copy.

I mean look at GameBomb.ru the guys could have CBSi lawyers on their asses in a second if they wanted to, but they are just flattered.

#7 Posted by JaredA (826 posts) -

I agree that it looks like they had some inspiration from Giant Bomb, but I don't think they are really that similar. The colors are identical, but the layout isn't the same. Besides, if gamebomb.ru can get away with what they did, then I think geekscoop.net is pretty safe!

#8 Posted by Lashe (1252 posts) -

seaserpent.gamebomb.ru is the tits.

#9 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1667 posts) -

no they can't ... As a webdeveloper I have never ever heard about some successfull legal action against stuff like this. Especially if it's not code that has been copied. Maybe there were some cases of stuff like that being punished I never heard of, but not many, I'm pretty sure about that.

#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

You can copyright anything nowadays. That's how copyright law works. ®

#11 Posted by Xymox (2104 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

You can copyright anything nowadays. That's how copyright law works.

^This. In fact, I should probably be paying VGK right now for quoting him.

#12 Posted by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

I think as far as websites go it's more about what's in the code than what it looks like.

#13 Posted by JaredA (826 posts) -

@Lashe: I knew in my heart that link was a lie, but I tried anyway, god dammit!