Can you duders recommend a graphics card?

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Hey, duders! I am currently building my new PC, and I wanted to see which graphics card everyone was using. Here are some specs:

CPU: i5-3570k

Mobo: Asus Z77 Sabertooth

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600, 1.5V

Storage: 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD

I'm looking at stay around $200, leaning toward NVIDIA, and don't want to SLI. Let the recommendations begin. Thanks in advance, duders.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

@Zombienutz: With all that juicy RAM, and a slick SSD, treat your system to a GTX 570 for $264.99 (with rebate). My 570 has treated me very well in a system similar to yours, if you really need to go cheaper, then get a good 560 Ti ($199.99).

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Fattony12000: I'm using the 570 as well, it is pretty great.

Need to get a new motherboard and processor so it can really get going though.

I didn't build my PC, rebuilding one that I had.

Building a new one would have been cheaper >:(

This is what happens when computards try and do things with no guidance :P

BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will look into the GTX 570, and the 560 Ti is on my consider list. Thanks for the input and

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By matthias2437

@Fattony12000 said:

@Zombienutz: With all that juicy RAM, and a slick SSD, treat your system to a GTX 570 for $264.99 (with rebate). My 570 has treated me very well in a system similar to yours, if you really need to go cheaper, then get a good 560 Ti ($199.99).

Yup I would recommend this as well. I have been using a 570 for a year now and it still dominates everything I throw at it, I also just picked up another on the cheap and SLI scaling is pretty good with it.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread
@Zombienutz said:

Hey, duders! I am currently building my new PC, and I wanted to see which graphics card everyone was using. Here are some specs:

CPU: i5-3570k

Mobo: Asus Z77 Sabertooth

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600, 1.5V

Storage: 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD

I'm looking at stay around $200, leaning toward NVIDIA, and don't want to SLI. Let the recommendations begin. Thanks in advance, duders.

Every website that I read (Toms, PCPer, hardwarecanucks) all recommend to hold off on video cards for a month.  There are rumors that Nvidia is releasing the 660 in the coming weeks and it is hopefully the mid-range part you are looking for .  Other than that I really can't recommend another card in the $200 price range without saying to go for an ATI card. 

Just as a heads up though, the next generation is being built around a GTX 680, just look at the Samaritan demo put out by Epic games.  At GDC this year that demo was running on a single 680, and not too long ago there was a demo of Unreal Engine 4 that was going around and built for a GTX 680).  I hate to say this, but buying a PC right now looks like a bad idea because we are in a transition period.  I am positive that if you can wait until winter (when the next gen ATI parts, or full GK110 chips are released).  Those cards are the ones that will last till the end of the next generation of consoles are done. 

Edit: Nice build so far though.  What SSD are you going to use?  I have heard nothing but great things about the new Samsung models.  They have the reliability of an Intel part with the speed of a sandforce SSD.
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Honestly, the best $200 card right now is the GTX 480 (at least was, it seems to have been knocked up an additional $40 dollars again.)

Sure it's last gen but it performs better than a 560ti and can handle higher resolution textures because of the additional VRAM. It does use a bit more power and idles significantly hotter, but in some games I've had it top out around the same temperature as my 560ti. You can get by on the stock cooler if you use a custom fan profile that keeps the fan above 70%, as long as you don't mind your computer sounding like a box fan at the highest setting. The sound issue can be remedied with a aftermarket cooler, but that would put it at around 560ti prices.

But I'd only grab one if you're on a super strict budget and don't mind the heat, noise and power draw.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Orbitz89

I'm using a GTX 560. Not the TI version.. the regular 560 that was released after the TI i believe. I paid around 180.00 for it not including tax and it's proven to be a very good card for my needs.

And to be honest i think i was cheated on that price.. I think you could probably find it for less than that. Not many places in my area that sell computer parts.

BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MonetaryDread: Yeah, I have been reading some of the same stuff. Hopefully know something soon.

Also, thanks for the continued recommendations everyone.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I built a PC for a friend a couple months ago. I decided to put a 560ti in it, turned out to be a good choice. Maybe treat yourself to a 570 though.