• 94 results
#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
#2 Posted by Epidehl (309 posts) -

I can read Bass Clef which, for the purposes of anything besides left-hand on the piano, is near useless.

#3 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

I think you know the answer to this one!

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@EarlessShrimp Oh inside jokes.
#5 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

I could in middle school a little bit since I played viola, but not anymore.

#6 Posted by 49th (2785 posts) -

I can read guitar tablature and can slightly read sheet music for piano.

#7 Posted by bennyboy (329 posts) -

Yep, although from what I remember it took all of five minutes to learn how so it's not a big deal. Now, learning and understanding music theory deeply enough to use it meaningfully in my songwriting, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

#8 Edited by Zelyre (1224 posts) -

@Epidehl said:

I can read Bass Clef which, for the purposes of anything besides left-hand on the piano, is near useless.

For treble cleff, notes are two steps lower. For example, the first note on a ledger line in bass cleff is a G. The first note on the ledger line in treble is E. A B in bass would be a G in treble. I learned how to read treble clef first, so for me I learned to read bass clef by simply transposing them two notes up. For treble to bass, you go two notes down. Force yourself to do it enough and you'll become comfortable.

I took over a year of music theory in college and along with playing the piano and trumpet, sang bass, baritone, and tenor. So I'm down with the cleffs. All of them. Though, if you're not a backwards C or a squigly S clef, you suck. I can read baritone and alto clef, albeit very slowly.

But I do love me my lead sheets.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

No.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (10078 posts) -

Nah. I know a deal about composition, you know; keys, scales, relatives, so on. But I learned that all through guitar tablature. I never learned about progressions though. Bummer that.

#11 Posted by darthslughorn (51 posts) -

High school band nerd checking in. Some things you can't forget

#12 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (713 posts) -

Yep, but it takes me ages.

#13 Posted by Epidehl (309 posts) -

@Zelyre: Yeah, I know it's something I just need to get used it, it was just a little frustrating to learn an instrument for 8 years (Trombone) and then be able to directly translate that skill to other music stuff. I played piano for a little over year as well, and getting my brain to read treble clef notes properly wasn't super easy after 8 years of reading it differently.

Although, the fact that most people who can read music can't read Bass Clef will always be kind of amusing, since, at least in my school, "Music Class" focused exclusively on "FACE" and "EGBDF" to read sheet music.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

I totally forgot. I used to be able to read it, but rather slowly, not fast enough to play something cold from the sheet that's for sure.

#15 Posted by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

I can work it out, but it's like listening to a six year-old reading The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire aloud.

#16 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Depends what you mean by read music. There's turning the notation on the page into button presses on an instrument which anybody could do and there's looking at the notation and that actually becoming notes in your mind so you could hear it without an instrument.

#17 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

A little bit - I'm getting better. I've played guitar for years but have been teaching myself mandolin recently with a lot of focus on learning Bach. One day, I can only hope I can play half as well as this guy:

#18 Posted by OmegaChosen (646 posts) -

I think I could a little in elementary school due to music class but that knowledge has since dropped off into the lost abyss of my mind, alongside Yugioh cards and the names of my middle school teachers.

#19 Posted by Nux (2383 posts) -

Nope.

#20 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

Sure can!

#21 Posted by Slay3r1583 (626 posts) -

I remember them trying to teach us to read music alongside teaching us to play the recorder in elementary school. I also remember being terrible at both.

#22 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Sort of. When I was in college and doing a lot of singing I was very good at it. But that was a, um, certain number of years ago. I tried to sight-read something recently and it was a total train wreck.

#23 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Yep. When it comes to sheet music books that carry guitar tabs I find myself looking at the tabs more often up until when I lose the syncopation. Then I go back to the notation to get a feel for the rhythm.

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

Yep!

#25 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

I can remember how to read music from high school. All notes have sharps except B and E, proof punk asses. I can't, however, remember how to play my saxophone anymore.

#26 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1152 posts) -

I can still read, I don't know how great I would be at playing anything any more.

#27 Edited by Ben_H (3384 posts) -

Yeah. I've played various musical instruments for over 10 years. Kinda fell off the wagon recently but intend to start again sometime when I actually have free time.

#28 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

Nope. Gimme the tabs god damn it. Except the tabs are total shit so maybe I should learn.

#29 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

I can read the lyrics...

#30 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

"Reading" isn't really what I'd call it. More "deciphering" but yeah.

#31 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
@Hizang
I'm happy I got that! Anyways I played trumpet in middle school so yes.
#32 Posted by artofwar420 (6295 posts) -

I can read sheet music, just slow as hell.

#33 Posted by cutyoface (547 posts) -

Nope.

#34 Posted by Bane122 (801 posts) -

Not. At. All. I had a music class way back in elementary school but all I know now is the bass and treble symbols.

#35 Posted by ConfusedOwl (952 posts) -

I can but I'd be really rusty if I went back and looked at some sheet music now, I usually don't use it.

#36 Posted by crimsinf (145 posts) -

I can. Been playing piano for several years now. Next I need to learn to play by chord notation. I'm worthless unless I have everything written out on the staff.

#37 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

Oh wow, more people can than I thought. Makes me feel dumb!

#38 Posted by ikaruga (193 posts) -

I used to but after years of switching to tabs for guitar my comprehension is now that of a 6 year-old learning how to read. I could prob. make out a piece of music and play it but it'd probably take half a day to do so

#39 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -

@darthslughorn said:

High school band nerd checking in. Some things you can't forget

You're right, I'll never forget all those wedgies I gave you.

xoxo

/High school jock

#40 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

I can play hot cross buns on a flute, get on my level.

#41 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

No, but I need to learn sooner or later. I'm learning guitar, and a man can't live on tabs alone.

#42 Posted by captain_max707 (492 posts) -

Yeah, but my site reading needs a bunch of work.

#43 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@Hizang
I'm happy I got that! Anyways I played trumpet in middle school so yes.

So... I played Trumpet in middle school too and... this is kind of sad and whatnot but I would write a combination of the numbers 1/2/3 at every note indicating which valves (or buttons or whatever) to hold down. I never learned how to read sheet music and didn't stick with music class for more than a year (it was music or art at my school, art was easier, I still regret giving up)

If I could do it again, I'd choose a different instrument. Trumpet never clicked with me.

#44 Posted by Stonyman65 (2765 posts) -

I can read guitar tablature and I have a working knowledge of staff notation. Not exactly what you would consider "sight reading" but I can get by if I have to.

I need to brush up on theory. It's been too long and I've mostly forgotten what little I knew to begin with..... Back to square one....

#45 Posted by Zelyre (1224 posts) -

@HolyHackZack said:

I can remember how to read music from high school. All notes have sharps except B and E, proof punk asses. I can't, however, remember how to play my saxophone anymore.

The key of G# major would like to have a word with you. There's only one note in G# major that's not a sharp, and that's F. Which is double sharp.

Anyone who writes a piece in G# major instead of Ab major is a dick.

#46 Posted by Stonyman65 (2765 posts) -

@MetalGearSunny said:

Nope. Gimme the tabs god damn it. Except the tabs are total shit so maybe I should learn.

Learn by ear. It takes a while to get the pitch right, but once you do, you learn and play pretty much anything without even looking at a tab.

I learned by slowing down Black Sabbath and AC/DC songs and going note by note.

Knowing how to read notation is important too, but for guitar that is really only useful for getting the rhythm down.

Personally, I'd focus on ear training and music theory, so you actually know what you are doing and why.

#47 Posted by von_wemberg (166 posts) -

Finished music school, so... something has stuck with me ever since.

#48 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Wait, the majority say yes? Well, I really wasn't expecting that. Cool.

I cannot.

#49 Posted by AndieK (23 posts) -

If tablatures counts, then yes.

#50 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I can stumble through it a bit. Pretty good at tab for guitar tho, sheet music's retarded cousin.