#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Election Day is May 2nd, the English and French leaders' debates are April 12th and 14th respectively

The Harper Government has just been toppled on the basis of Stephen Harper's government being "in contempt of parliament". This sets an election campaign to begin and continue until election day sometime in May. What say you Canadian Giant Bombers? Who has your support? 

If you are undecided in your voting intentions, this link may help you see which party aligns the most with your views.

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

None of the above, but I will keep voting NDP. I like Mr. Laytons moustache, and I could see that moustache leading my country.  

I voted green party once for some reason I don't remember, but I think I'm going with NDP as long as Layton is running it. 

#3 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@crusader8463: Which riding are you in?
#4 Posted by Trifork89 (73 posts) -

I'm Voting NDP
#5 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

So it seems like the main opposition is going to campaign on Harper's government disrespecting democracy and all that instead of the economic budget that was presented. It seems like this will result in more of the same, unless people's voter apathy suddenly vanishes.

#6 Posted by groin (848 posts) -

I am one of those people that knows nothing about politics. I keep my head in the sand. I have never voted for anything.

#7 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@FrankCanada97:  I'm American and I'm clueless about Canadian politics. Can you sum up the fundamentals of politics in Canada for me. (Political parties, how elections work, etc)
#8 Posted by TheMathlete (326 posts) -
@crusader8463:
Like crusader, I don't have ties to any particular party.  So for right now, the best moustache wins...I guess.  I should probably do some research before I go to the polls first.
#9 Posted by bigsmoke77 (790 posts) -

I am looking forward to a month of
- Attack Ads from the Conservatives that take things out of context and don't say anything about their own policies
- Liberal Ads criticizing conservatives polices but not saying what they plan on doing i.e. Saying we don't the F-35 fighter jets but not coming up with an alternative. (Not replacing the 30 year old SeaKing Helicopters in the 90's resulted in a 500 million dollar cancellation fee and 30 maintainence hours for every hour of flight)
- NDP Ads that consist of "hey those other guys are idiots you should give us a chance........................please"
- And the green party well, Mrs. May shouldn't have been aloud in the TV debates last election and I hope she doesn't get a spot this time........................... I might dislike the French Language but you kinda need it to be even considered a National Leader

#10 Edited by pieman32 (163 posts) -

The NDP. I cannot stand Harper and his secrecy ttowards the press. Givng this man majority is going to be a big mistake. I can see he has been timid about his intentions, but a majority will truly show what he is up to. Im not willing to wait for that.
#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Norton New Brunswick
#12 Posted by Mcfart (1656 posts) -

ANOTHER ELECTION?!? ARRRRRAAH

Harper will probably get a majority this time just because most Canadians will be like "fuck this"

#13 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -
@TheMathlete: The main reason I vote NDP is because I found this website a while back that had this neat little flash app that was basically a test to see who you agreed with more. They just blindly asked you a couple dozen questions about various topics, then it totalled them all up and told you who you should vote on based on which ones had the majority of the topics you agreed with. It listed it all out in a nice simple format and showed you who agreed with what vote, a link to the source to show you where they said their stance on a policy, and a link to more information about them. 

For me NDP came out a head, and as far as I can recall I think we pretty much agreed on almost every topic. 

I wish I could find the site again.
#14 Edited by Jay_Ray (1108 posts) -
@Wolverine: Each constituency votes for a representative in parliament. Most people who are elected represent one of the 4 major parties; ie. Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, Bloc. The Green party is a major minor party. Conservatives are our right wing (though they hold similar polices to the US Democrats), NDP are our far left, and the Liberals are in between. The Bloc is Quebec only party but because of Quebecs large number of representatives and their popularity in Quebec they play a large role. The Bloq is all about Quebec Independence. The party with the most representatives controls parliament and the parties leader becomes Prime Minister. If that party holds more then 50% of the seats they have a majority government and can dictate their policies as they see fit. If they hold less then 50% they form a minority government and to prevent a second election they must partner with a 2 or 3 parties so they can hold at least 50% of parliament. If a law is voted on in parliament and is not passed an election occurs as a result of no confidence. Also an election must occur at least every 5 years if it is a majority government to prevent a party staying in power forever. 

Harper leads the Conservatives and is current Prime Minister
Ignatieff leads Liberals  
Layton leads NDP 
Duceppe leads the Bloc

I don't like Harper and like Ignatieff but I am more Conservative then Liberal so I don't know who I will vote for.
#15 Posted by cypher89 (55 posts) -

The Liberals have fallen under Ignatieff and Dion so I think this will be another minority, but the next few months will be interesting because I don't think either party has a enough votes for a majority.

#16 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@cypher89: Dion may not have been a good leader, but it's not like the character assassination or the Liberal infighting didn't have anything to do with. Victim of circumstances I suppose.
#17 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

I urge Canadians to vote for the party that will extract the most oil and sell it to the US.

#18 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

all i know is this, if Harper manages to get a majority government we are fucked, he is much more right wing crazy then people seem to think and  they will do everything they can to adopt more U.S policies and lessen what it means to be Canadian.  Harper is more interested in being the PM then he is leading our country and strengthening what it means to be Canadian. The PC's in Canada want us to be the 51st state and that scares me,  but we haven't had and strong liberal leadership in years and we still don't and thats why we are in the perpetual loop of his government failing and having to go through another election just to end up in the same place, all the opposition parties are also all to focused on being the ones in power that they don't run or put forth the platform that people can believe in. So were are stuck with these bullshit politicians doing everything for themselves and nothing for us and our country. 

#19 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Does anyone know where I can get some relatively unbiased info on the stances of the various parties on things? I just turned 18 in October so this is going to be my first election and I'd like to be somewhat informed when voting.

#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Everyone I know is going with Ignatieff but I don't really know. I also can't vote so, whatever.

#21 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

I probably agree with Liberals the most but yeah screw them and their corrupt asses. So I'm going with NDP...because fuck it. 

And I kinda feel bad for Layton at this point; It feels like the dude has been around forever. Liberals fucked up, Conservatives fucked up, I say we give the NDP a chance to fuck up. 

#22 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Election signs are already going up in my city, and the official election date is May 2nd.

#23 Posted by labam89 (312 posts) -

NDP. At this point, it all seems to be the same shit, just a different pile. Maybe mustache man will be better, although I feel Einstein has the best quote for this situation; "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results." Expect more of the same nonsense.

#24 Posted by MonetaryDread (2066 posts) -

As a card carrying member of the NDP, I am voting for my local representative. I believe that their stance towards rebuilding the middle-class fits in line with what needs to happen in Canada. That and I don't trust my, or my families, well being to Ignatieff or Harper.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4847 posts) -

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but what has Harper been up to that's had everyone shitting on him for the past several months? 

Also Ignatieff looks like a crook. I wouldn't trust that man with a roll of toilet paper for fear he'd try to sell it back to me for ten bucks.

#26 Posted by Aegon (5701 posts) -

He used to be a professor and his last name is Layton. Such an easy Joke. I dunno, I've never voted because I'm not really interested in politics. I suppose if someone running for PM was a fascist asshole then I'd vote for someone else just to make sure he/she doesn't make it.

#27 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -
@KingWilly: If you have been out of the loop, try doing this quick survey. They list off some of the major points of interest and based on what you pick they tell you which party you align with the most. Then you can go back see what each party picked for each question. It's called the vote compass

Here is a little write up on the app for those interested.
#28 Posted by simulation (175 posts) -

I'm from Calgary, so I'm Conservative as hell.

Harper's doing a great job. The only other party that has a chance of getting a majority are the liberals, but after the sponsorship scandal I would never vote for them.

#29 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4847 posts) -
@simulation said:
" I'm from Calgary, so I'm Conservative as hell.  Harper's doing a great job. The only other party that has a chance of getting a majority are the liberals, but after the sponsorship scandal I would never vote for them. "
I've voted Conservative in the last two federal elections, and I agree 100% with you. That's why I'm asking where the Harper hate is coming from, considering the economic meltdown in the US hasn't effected us nearly as bad under his stewardship.
#30 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@crusader8463:  Cool link, I'll link to it in the first post.
#31 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I'd go with NDP. Laytons Mustache is the kind of mustache that  says "shit's getting done"  

Also, great idea for a game name: Professor Layton and the NDP Mustache.

#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I'm voting NDP. 

#33 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -
@crusader8463: I would not be surprised if one of the parties put out a website like that out there with all of the answers all leading to the same party.
#34 Edited by Marokai (3053 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

" @simulation said:

" I'm from Calgary, so I'm Conservative as hell.  Harper's doing a great job. The only other party that has a chance of getting a majority are the liberals, but after the sponsorship scandal I would never vote for them. "
I've voted Conservative in the last two federal elections, and I agree 100% with you. That's why I'm asking where the Harper hate is coming from, considering the economic meltdown in the US hasn't effected us nearly as bad under his stewardship. "
I'm not Canadian but I'm always interested in Canadian politics and understand the economy well enough up there to know that giving Harper and the Conservatives credit for the financial crisis sparing Canada is like giving the Conservatives credit for Medicare covering your surgery bill. One thing you can thank Harper for is a deficit though. Give him a majority and he'll gladly make it worse with billions of corporate tax breaks.
#35 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -
@NeVeRMoRe666: IDK. If the news got their hands on it there would be a shit storm. At least I like to think so.
#36 Posted by Blair (2511 posts) -
Voting Conservative, obvi.
#37 Posted by erichr (58 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" @simulation said:
I've voted Conservative in the last two federal elections, and I agree 100% with you. That's why I'm asking where the Harper hate is coming from, considering the economic meltdown in the US hasn't effected us nearly as bad under his stewardship. "
As a fellow Calgarian, I too am a dedicated Conservative, and will be for sure voting for them this election. And I totally agree about his handling of the economy, the green home renovation tax credit was a great way to stimulate the economy and improve energy efficiency in lots of homes. However, I will not deny that I have incredible respect for Jack Layton. He may be a loon, but he sticks to his principles and he successfully beat cancer and did it with dignity.
#38 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

I live in Calgary and I just hope Harper gets a majority and we can stop pissing away money on elections so often.  
2009 was a tough year here in Alberta but besides that things are pretty good and I think we have Harper to thank for that.

Niether the Liberals, NDP nor the Bloc will make Alberta a better place if they were to form a Coalition. 

#39 Posted by Marokai (3053 posts) -
@LiquidS said:
" I live in Calgary and I just hope Harper gets a majority and we can stop pissing away money on elections so often.  "
Hopefully you can piss away money in corporate give-aways instead!
#40 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" @simulation said:
One of the reasons why we haven't had a economic meltdown is not because of Harper but because of economic regulations on banks.
#41 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@Marokai: I think the money would be better spent in Quebec building a hockey stadium for a city that doesn't have the corporate backing needed to support a hockey team in the long run just to please The Bloc. Go Nordiques! 
#42 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

I love the Michael Ignatieff attack ads, the way they are read is hilarious =P

"Michael Ignatieff is a Nazi sympathizer.", "Michael Ignatieff hates puppies." 

Anyways, I am voting Liberal. Its the closest to my views, barely.

#43 Edited by Sumbog (491 posts) -

Umm probably the NDP because the Liberals aren't doing it for me anymore (that might change when Trudeau's son is ready to lead the Liberals) and the conservatives are a no go because I'm forced to have them as a provincial government (I live in Alberta so there is no chance of liberal or NDP's winning there) soooo ya. 

EDIT: holy shit I didn't read all the comments from my fellow Calgarians before I posted, see what I mean they're all Conservative! Its crazy, we are the Texas of Canada!

#44 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@KingWilly:  
Apparently you have never lived in Atlantic Canada...
#45 Posted by mosespippy (4278 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" I've been out of the loop for awhile, but what has Harper been up to that's had everyone shitting on him for the past several months?  Also Ignatieff looks like a crook. I wouldn't trust that man with a roll of toilet paper for fear he'd try to sell it back to me for ten bucks. "
I've been out of the loop for a while as well, but I do recall hearing that the jet fighters that Harper said would cost $70 Billion will actually cost around $135-$140 Billion. Also, he supports an MP that forged documents then lied about it.  I also dislike that he suspended parliament TWICE just to not lose power. He's more concerned about being in power than doing anything for the country.
@simulation
said:
You do realize that Ignatief didn't even live in the country when the sponsorship scandal happened and most of the Cretien/Martin liberals aren't politicians anymore. That shit happened in 1996. Just because it was news much later than that doesn't mean the current guys were involved. And it's not like all that money was embezzled. Much of it went into supporting pro canadian ideals to help prevent quebec from separating. The Canada flag on my wall was paid for by one of the pro canada sponsorship programs paid for by those funds. 

As someone in Newfoundland I won't vote for Harper.  As far as I'm concerned it's another ABC election. Anything But Conservative. I don't even have to think about who to vote for in this election. The provincial election that is also happening is a different story though. The conservative leader didn't even want to be the leader at first and no one else wants it either so she's stuck with it and the Liberal leader has a mere 10% of the polls and won't step aside for stronger leadership. It's a tough thing to decide between two incompetent non leaders rather than 2 incompetent leaders.
#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

New Brunswick is in terrible shape, and I hope that who ever get's in will do something to help my dam province.

#47 Posted by connorbevans (28 posts) -
@mosespippy: We had an ABC election in Toronto, everyone knew it, and we still got screwed with the Stay Puft marshmallow man. 
The current Conservative Party is shifting policies to be more American, because they're doing great, right? Harper's policy ranges from the scandalous, to the odd, to the absurd, like being against gay marriage, something most Canadians I know are quite proud of allowing. He's been using the government websites as a mouthpiece for his propaganda, too. He's all about the "Harper Government's" great accomplishments. The Economic Action Plan (which is pretty much over) now functions exclusively as marketing material for the Conservative Party. Ignatieff is a weak leader (party-wise) but he's miles better than Harper.
#48 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@crusader8463: 60 year old white males all up in that bitch! 
Nova Scotia is doing just as great.
#49 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

I implore every citizen of Canada if you never vote to pay attention to the parties political stance on the internet.  As some of you may know bell are being douche bags again and I don't have to remind any of you how terrible are internet already is compared to the world.  If you want to look up michael geists blog or other sources to get up to date on the issues.

You may not give a shit about politics, but I know you all care about the future of our ISP's and the internet in general.

#50 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

I didn't know Canadian people wore cowboy hats?