• 90 results
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

I find it funny that Canadians know so much about America,but the average American knows very little about Canada.I honesty do not mean to offend.I just think it's funny that out of 22 american citizens I asked while I was down in Seattle for PAX 08,only 13 of them knew who our Prime Minister was,and out of 22 Canadians i asked while I was down here,you know,living,20 of them knew who Obama,Mcain,Palin,and Biden were.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bulldog19892
TomA said:
"I find it funny that Canadians know so much about America,but the average American knows very little about Canada.I honesty do not mean to offend.I just think it's funny that out of 22 american citizens I asked while I was down in Seattle for PAX 08,only 13 of them knew who our Prime Minister was."
Yes you do. ;)
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DualReaver

I didn't even know our Prime Minster was Stephen Harper until recently and I still don't know what party he's in. I also didn't know what day the elections were on or that they were even this year.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kmdrkul
TomA said:
"I find it funny that Canadians know so much about America,but the average American knows very little about Canada.I honesty do not mean to offend.I just think it's funny that out of 22 american citizens I asked while I was down in Seattle for PAX 08,only 13 of them knew who our Prime Minister was,and out of 22 Canadians i asked while I was down here,you know,living,20 of them knew who Obama,Mcain,Palin,and Biden were."
It's because nobody gives two shits who your prime minister is.  Keep putting out good beer and ice hockey and stop trying to cause controversy here. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Canada is an extremely important influential nation. They have a national igloo!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endogene

Do some of you even release that canada is a one of your 2 border countries?

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adam_grif

This is  because American politics are internationally significant, and Canadian politics are not. I bet you could ask 50 canadians who the Prime Minister of Austalia and only 2-3 would know the answer. UK is not as well known as US, but certainly moreso than Canada or Australia.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
Endogene said:
"Do some of you even release that canada is a one of your 2 border countries?"
Anyone can miss Canada, all tucked away down there.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By thanatos990

90% of americans are mildly retarded, and the other 10% try to keep the country running

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
Levio91 said:
"Because the United States is a big deal we have the largest  economy in the world, canada isnt even on the top 10 list, Id love canada to be one of our states, though.

Canada puts our president in there political ads. Ive known harper the blue sweater wearing guy is your president.
"
I hope you don't seriously think we have a president.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By TomA

I would rather throw myself in front of a moving bus than join US as a state.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Player1

Well Its simply because we are the most powerful country in the world. 

It means a lot when people from other countries actually give a RATS ASS about our election. Because I know for sure I don't care about any other countries myself. 

Just a testimony to how relevant this election is to the world. 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

But nobody actually likes Bush, so putting him in ads is just plain dumb.
But hey, there's a reason Harper only managed a minority again.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

Here's what the citizens of the United States need to know about Canada.

• Their bacon is different than ours.
  • They love Rush.
  • They have mounties.
  • Their military sucks.
  • They love hockey.
  • They're really nice... unless you bash their hockey team.
  • Eh?

Of course we Americans can be a bit ignorant, but it's hard not to know about our political characters because of our superpower status.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thanatos990

Donkey aye? couldnt u have came up with something better?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Oh damn son, you just started the classic Canada VS U.S forum war, this goes right along with religon,War and other highly debatable subjects.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colonel_Cool
TomA said:
"I find it funny that Canadians know so much about America,but the average American knows very little about Canada.I honesty do not mean to offend.I just think it's funny that out of 22 american citizens I asked while I was down in Seattle for PAX 08,only 13 of them knew who our Prime Minister was,and out of 22 Canadians i asked while I was down here,you know,living,20 of them knew who Obama,Mcain,Palin,and Biden were."
It's because this election is getting really heavy worldwide coverage, so of course everyone around the world knows who Obama, McCain, Palin, and Biden are. Nobody sees news about Canada in the news, if you go to any other country they wouldn't know any more about Canada than the average American does.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
TomA said:

True, but we've got all of the nukes! So don't fuck with us. :D
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By clubsandwich

*facepalm*

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Discorsi

all i know is they get free health care and that they are part of a radical militant terroroist group

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_

Uh, if Canada were at all significant in any possible way, I would probably know more about them. As it stands, your government is entirely inconsequential in terms of any meaningful world influence. I can understand your jealousy (or relief) regarding that, but that's no reason to go starting with all of the Americans; especially if you're going to make stupid blanket statements.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:
"Uh, if Canada were at all significant in any possible way, I would probably know more about them. As it stands, your government is entirely inconsequential in terms of any meaningful world influence. I can understand your jealousy (or relief) regarding that, but that's no reason to go starting with all of the Americans; especially if you're going to make stupid blanket statements."
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By super_machine

I dont know. My Uncle is a professor of Musicology. So you are saying you know more about that than he does? Smarty pants.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By lazyturtle
Jayge said:
"Uh, if Canada were at all significant in any possible way, 
How about being our largest trading partner?
JFK said about our neighbors to the north :  "Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder."

It boggles my mind that we feel so poorly about one of the few countries that we have good national relations with. Regardless of how 'important' Canada is internationally, we should show them some respect. It is true that we have a larger economy, military and population, but...so what?

Just remember we won't be top dog forever. It pays to be a good neighbor.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
lazyturtle said:
"Jayge said:
JFK said about our neighbors to the north :  "Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder."

It boggles my mind that we feel so poorly about one of the few countries that we have good national relations with. Regardless of how 'important' Canada is internationally, we should show them some respect. It is true that we have a larger economy, military and population, but...so what?

"

We aren't top dog, we haven't been for a solid 8 years now.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Karmum
TomA said:
I hardly doubt everyone in Canada is extremely educated on how the United States of America works. Canada is closer to the US than some of the US is closer to Canada (if that makes any sense).

That doesn't mean anything if the Canadians know who our candiates are and only some Americans know who the Prime Minister is. I suppose Canadian News broadcasts more worldwide news (in this case -- US), then US broadcasting Canada news.

Besides, I guess it would make sense -- Canadians pay attention to the US more than the US pays attention to Canada. Maybe because most of the US citizens don't give a shit about Canadians.

...go figure.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
lazyturtle said:
"Jayge said:

"
And yet, nobody really cares about them all the same. That should tell you something.
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Albanian_Killa

That's because Canada is boring. I wasn't born in Canada, but I do live here and honestly, I can never get into its politics. It's a very dull place compared to the United States. I don't blame the Americans if they don't know jack about Canada. Canada is not a world leader like the U.S. or Russia, it's just a neighbour of a world leader.

Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Albanian_Killa
Levio91 said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Levio91 said:
"Because the United States is a big deal we have the largest  economy in the world, canada isnt even on the top 10 list, Id love canada to be one of our states, though.

Canada puts our president in there political ads. Ive known harper the blue sweater wearing guy is your president.
"
I hope you don't seriously think we have a president."
You have a prime minister im just used to saying president, its just weird how the ad is blaming Canadas problems on our president, even though I thought canada and america were friendly."
It's the "Liberal" party putting out that ad. The Democrats of Canada, so you can see how they don't support Bush. Really, they put Bush in there to make their politics more interesting, because they know themselves Canadian politics is trash.
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Albanian_Killa
Levio91 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
We aren't top dog, we haven't been for a solid 8 years now."
http://www.economywatch.com/economies-in-top/
We are also the leaders in racial equality, have you heard of Obama? The first minority to be leader of any coutry?
Also canada would make a great state.
Probably going to be the greatest president ever.
"
So you're confident already that Obama is going to win? Not a good thing when someone is over-confident. I hate cockiness in politics. Especially when Obama throws out that "Two words: # days" crap like it's 100% that he'll win. If anyone has been paying attention to the real situations, instead of those small polls where they survey a few people, they know never to be over-confident before an election.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By mracoon

I know whoo all the people you mentioned were and I'm from the UK. So that means British people know more then Canadians and Americans combined.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiggerBomb
Albanian_Killa said:
"Levio91 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
We are also the leaders in racial equality, have you heard of Obama? The first minority to be leader of any coutry?
"
So you're confident already that Obama is going to win? Not a good thing when someone is over-confident. I hate cockiness in politics. Especially when Obama throws out that "Two words: # days" crap like it's 100% that he'll win. If anyone has been paying attention to the real situations, instead of those small polls where they survey a few people, they know never to be over-confident before an election."

I agree, don't be overconfident. But you're ignorance is simply annunciated with your post.. He says "Two words: #days....

...don't get over confident. We can't let up one hour, one minute, one second etc." He's warning his supporters not to be overconfident you idiot.
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Omega
Albanian_Killa said:
"That's because Canada is boring. I wasn't born in Canada, but I do live here and honestly, I can never get into its politics. It's a very dull place compared to the United States. I don't blame the Americans if they don't know jack about Canada. Canada is not a world leader like the U.S. or Russia, it's just a neighbour of a world leader."
Watching Canadian politics is boring. Thats true. But politics is boring by design.

The only reason why American politics is fun is because its like watching Jerry Springer, or some retarded sitcom.

I'd rather live in my dull, but well governed country than America where every candidate is like a cartoon character. And every election is like an episode of Lost.

Jayge said:
"lazyturtle said:
"Jayge said:

"
And yet, nobody really cares about them all the same. That should tell you something."

Canada is a country that doesn't start shit. Unless you start shit, you don't get noticed. No one knew Afghanastan existed before 9/11. But I think it says more about you than us that you can't even learn a little about the only other country on the continent.

Its not nice to say that Canada doesnt matter, or no one cares about Canada. Canada cared enough about you guys to help out after hurricane katrina.
We also accepted many refugees from Louisiana who lost their homes.

That's not the first time we've done that either.
(copied from the wikipedia entry)
On September 11 2001 following the attacks when all of North America's airspace was closed by NORAD 39 transatlantic flights bound for the United States were ordered to land at the airport in Gander, Newfoundland —more flights than any other Canadian airport other than Halifax International. (Vancouver International received the most passengers, at 8,500.) Over 6,600 passengers and Airline crew members unexpectedly found themselves forced to stay in the Gander area for up to three days until airspace was reopened and flights resumed. Residents of Gander and surrounding communities volunteered to house, feed, and entertain the travellers in what became known as Operation Yellow Ribbon.

The Canadians in Gander Newfoundland opened up their homes to complete strangers, foreign strangers, AMERICAN strangers. Who would have no other place to go otherwise.

So if Canada is so insignificant, so not respected by Americans why would we do this?

It's the Canadian way. Its our way.

I hope you learned a little about my country Jayge and I hope you will someday maybe learn to not be so arrogant when discussing countries you feel are beneath you.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kmdrkul
Omega said:
"Albanian_Killa said:
"That's because Canada is boring. I wasn't born in Canada, but I do live here and honestly, I can never get into its politics. It's a very dull place compared to the United States. I don't blame the Americans if they don't know jack about Canada. Canada is not a world leader like the U.S. or Russia, it's just a neighbour of a world leader."
Watching Canadian politics is boring. Thats true. But politics is boring by design.

The only reason why American politics is fun is because its like watching Jerry Springer, or some retarded sitcom.

I'd rather live in my dull, but well governed country than America where every candidate is like a cartoon character. And every election is like an episode of Lost.

Jayge said:
"lazyturtle said:
"Jayge said:

"
And yet, nobody really cares about them all the same. That should tell you something."

Canada is a country that doesn't start shit. Unless you start shit, you don't get noticed. No one knew Afghanastan existed before 9/11. But I think it says more about you than us that you can't even learn a little about the only other country on the continent.

Its not nice to say that Canada doesnt matter, or no one cares about Canada. Canada cared enough about you guys to help out after hurricane katrina.
We also accepted many refugees from Louisiana who lost their homes.

That's not the first time we've done that either.
(copied from the wikipedia entry)
On September 11 2001 following the attacks when all of North America's airspace was closed by NORAD 39 transatlantic flights bound for the United States were ordered to land at the airport in Gander, Newfoundland —more flights than any other Canadian airport other than Halifax International. (Vancouver International received the most passengers, at 8,500.) Over 6,600 passengers and Airline crew members unexpectedly found themselves forced to stay in the Gander area for up to three days until airspace was reopened and flights resumed. Residents of Gander and surrounding communities volunteered to house, feed, and entertain the travellers in what became known as Operation Yellow Ribbon.

The Canadians in Gander Newfoundland opened up their homes to complete strangers, foreign strangers, AMERICAN strangers. Who would have no other place to go otherwise.

So if Canada is so insignificant, so not respected by Americans why would we do this?

It's the Canadian way. Its our way.

I hope you learned a little about my country Jayge and I hope you will someday maybe learn to not be so arrogant when discussing countries you feel are beneath you."
While Canada as a whole may not start shit, you guys have the same exact types of idiots like every other country has.  The type that likes to start shit, like the OP.  This whole thread wasn't about Canada starting shit; it was about your fellow Canadian starting shit.  Americans are always down for a good argument; you lure us in and we take the bait.  So next time, do not try to bring entire countries into the fold when clearly it is just a select few.... people.
oWarlock360o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By oWarlock360o

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Jayge said:
"lazyturtle said:
"Jayge said:

"

People only care about us because we are complete asshats who try to shove our ideology down peoples throats. That should tell you something.

Personally I'd rather we act more like Canada.
oWarlock360o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By oWarlock360o

Now, some of you won't know why i posted this, but these detectives are considered the best in the world (at least in fiction ;P) and as you can well see, No canadian.

If your gonna flame me for anything you do not know, I'll give ya the word of advice, I'm german. (yes i know theres no german in there but theres a belgian, thats close enough ;PP)

Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Albanian_Killa
BiggerBomb said:
"Albanian_Killa said:
"Levio91 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"
So you're confident already that Obama is going to win? Not a good thing when someone is over-confident. I hate cockiness in politics. Especially when Obama throws out that "Two words: # days" crap like it's 100% that he'll win. If anyone has been paying attention to the real situations, instead of those small polls where they survey a few people, they know never to be over-confident before an election."

I agree, don't be overconfident. But you're ignorance is simply annunciated with your post.. He says "Two words: #days....

...don't get over confident. We can't let up one hour, one minute, one second etc." He's warning his supporters not to be overconfident you idiot."
Really now? Quite different from what I heard today: "One day from bringing change to the United States" from CNN quoting Obama. Now, according to Obama, only he can bring "change". He says McCain will not bring "change". If America is one day from bringing "change" Obama refers to, then he is saying that he will win tomorrow, which proves my point that he is being overconfident. I do remember that quote you stated above, but this one that he recently said contradicts it, so please, don't call me an idiot. You're the real idiot. Politicians say more than one thing.
oWarlock360o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oWarlock360o

Bringing change means either the republicans win or the democrats. nothing more, nothing less.

Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Albanian_Killa
oWarlock360o said:
"Bringing change means either the republicans win or the democrats. nothing more, nothing less."
Bringing change means the Democrats win. The Republicans are already in power (at least in the presidency), and since McCain is "McSame" to Obama, he isn't change, therefore, if McCain wins tomorrow, there will be no change.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By lazyturtle
Omega said:
No one knew Afghanastan existed before 9/11. But I think it says more about you than us that you can't even learn a little about the only other country on the continent. 

Just so you know there are 23 countries that share the North American continent. Here' a map:

By the way... Afghanastan  was well known to people prior to 9/11 since they were at war with the Soviet Union during the whole of the 80s. The USA gave them $ and weapons to help fight that war. Now I can see how people under a certain age might not have been aware, but I think that most people my age (I'm 31) were aware of where Afghanastan was located prior to 9/11.
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Omega
lazyturtle said:
"Omega said:
No one knew Afghanastan existed before 9/11. But I think it says more about you than us that you can't even learn a little about the only other country on the continent. 

Just so you know there are 23 countries that share the North American continent. Here' a map:

By the way... Afghanastan  was well known to people prior to 9/11 since they were at war with the Soviet Union during the whole of the 80s. The USA gave them $ and weapons to help fight that war. Now I can see how people under a certain age might not have been aware, but I think that most people my age (I'm 31) were aware of where Afghanastan was located prior to 9/11.
"
While you are correct that there are other countries in North America, a lot of people tend to separate North and Central America into 2 different sub regions.
That was what I was doing there.

And when I was saying that no one knew Afghanastan existed I was referring to its significance in the world as Jayge (who I was responding to) was arguing the significance of Canada on the world stage.
I was stating that most countries aren't thought much of until they become a threat. Since 9/11 was the latest significant attack I attached their coming into existence in the minds of Americans to that event so it is immediately relatable to those of us who are not your age.

Any other complaints you'd like me to address?

side note: It was nice that you defended Canada in this topic while most others were bashing it. At least some people are more respectful, like you. That JFK quote was awesome.
agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By agent_lost
Dalai said:
"Here's what the citizens of the United States need to know about Canada.

• Their bacon is different than ours.
  • They love Rush.
  • They have mounties.
  • Their military sucks.
  • They love hockey.
  • They're really nice... unless you bash their hockey team.
  • Eh?

Of course we Americans can be a bit ignorant, but it's hard not to know about our political characters because of our superpower status."
Our military doesn't suck, there just wasted for the easy access to beer.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By OGCartman

My original responce was blocked by that Luchadeer Is At A Lonely Boy Concert but lets see.

I think the statement in your title is insulting, even though im Canadian.
It is amazing the lack of intelligence of well, alot of Americans.
And i do think Canada is "smarter", but the thing is, America is much more important to the world.
So you need to know whats going on America, because it really dose affect you.
Canada, it dosent matter.
We have amazing weed, great beer and some fucking killer maple syrup, thats all that matters :P

Canada dosent have enemies in the world, and were tight with the USA n UK. With no enemies and casual with the rest of the world, especially with our diversity. Our money goes to schools, health care and such. Not the tons of billions of dollars a month fighting a useless war like the United States.

So if you really think about it, not being "heat" is alot better than being heat.
Id rather be in a quiet, simple, less important country than a hated country with wars going on, enemies, and a shitty government.

No offence intended, i go to America all the time and absolutely love it, i do not know much about the matter, just giving my two cents.