Captain America: Civil War Trailer

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By TheHT

This looks so good. They're obviously changing a whole lot from the comics, which is fine. The movies are their own thing, and the comics have a bunch of crazy stuff they can pull from and get away with anyways. The fundamentals are the same. Superheroes have been messing shit up with no one to answer to, and the governments of the world want to change that.

Really liking how it's being presented as a Captain American movie that also happens to have almost all the other superheroes and then some. It's especially interesting to see Stark framed as having an almost villainous presence in the movie, mostly because everything leading up to this upends that idea entirely.

Between this, Dr. Strange, Guardians 2, and Captain Marvel, not to mention Infinity War (sorry, I actually shouldn't have mentioned the goddamn 2018 movie), I'm pretty fuckin hype for "phase three."

Curious as to what folks who maybe aren't so hot on superhero movies lately will think of this.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ichthy

Random thoughts:

- Black panther looks bad ass

- FALCON KICK

- Oh hey Hawkeyes here

- RHODEY NO

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This trailer was incredible. I think I watched it probably 50 times since it came out last night/this morning lol. Black Panther bookin it down the tunnel at 1:54 looks so unbelievably good. Black Panther in general looks cool, but just something about that half a second shot in particular made me scream "YOOOOOOOOOOO" the first time I saw it.

In regards to Stark being portrayed as the villain, I feel like any hint of that is simply because it's a Captain America-centric story, but I feel like they did a good job as also kinda sorta making it clear he has his reasons too and having to fight his friends isn't something he's exactly happy about doing.

And, assuming he's even in the darn thing, I really hope they save Spiderman (and Antman too for that matter), for the movie. Don't show him in the trailer. Surprise the general public. His role in the film is supposedly pretty small anyway so I feel like them using him to promote the movie is going end up with a lot of people disappointed that he wasn't in the movie as much as they wanted.

Also, if Hawkeye and Antman don't do the "the thing," then I'm going to consider this whole movie a failure!

dannyglover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dannyglover

The movie looks pretty good. I really hope there isn't some shady government guy who manipulates the Iron Man side to go against Cap and they team up to fight the shady government guy at the end. That's just way too much like The Winter Soldier and the Bourne movies.

While there are going to be a lot of heroes in this movie, the focus looks to be on Cap, Bucky, and Falcon, versus the government, Black Widow, and Iron Man. I'm hoping instead that this is a spiritual Avengers type movie and that the other heroes (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, War Machine etc.) aren't just showing up to fight a battle at the end.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Falcon pose seems like it happens a lot.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I wasn't that into the silver when you first see him in the sunlight, but fuck if that shot of him booking it through the tunnel doesn't look picture perfect.

There's seriously gonna be a ton going on in this movie, between all the returning superheroes, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Baron Zemo, and General Thaddeus (maybe we'll see the first hints of Red Hulk?). And all of it's being helmed by The Winter Soldier duo. Fantastic.

Speaking of which, Winter Soldier had a particular look to it that felt different from the other movies. Some of the the colours seemed... muted? It's neat to see other characters like Iron Man in that light, with his armour looking to be a deep red, almost burgundy, as a result.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YESYESYESYES THE HYPE IS REAL!

I still do have some reservations about the movie, but I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt based on the trailer and CA:WS.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I like this trailer. I like this trailer a lot.

Some random thoughts of my own:

• I know this is a "Captain America" movie, but it's pretty obvious that Iron Man plays a pretty big role as well. I wonder if the movie will split the focus between the two, or if it's going to centered solely on Cap.
  • Interesting that it pretty clearly shows who is going to be on Cap's team, but only shows Tony clearly allied with Warmachine, with Black Panther being a probable on Stark's team since the trailer shows Panther dropkicking Bucky. Will it just be those three, or will Spiderman and/or Antman be aligned with Team Stark as some people are guessing?
  • Obviously the relationship between Bucky and Cap is important in this. An interesting parallel on the other side of the conflict could be the relationship between Tony and Rhodey, especially considering the scene in the trailer that shows Warmachine being unconscious . If Cap's friendship with Bucky is one of the factors with him "going rogue", could Warmachine getting seriously hurt lead Stark to do things that would make him the villain of this piece?
  • "...So was I." That line...just...dang. I've probably watched the 10 seconds between 2:00 and 2:10 10-20 times. The way Robert Downey Jr. delivered that line just gets me. That is what really sold me on this trailer.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I sort of hate myself for getting excited about this. After Avengers 2 felt like nothing but setup for the "Wave 3" Marvel Movies (which in turn are all going to be setup for Avengers 3) I was starting to get cynical about superhero movies again. But nope, I'm a sucker and I think it's an exciting trailer. There's art already out there basically revealing who is going to be on which side, though I wonder how much screen time characters who aren't Cap, Iron Man and Winter Soldier will actually get.

If nothing else, it's still incredibly impressive that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has progressed to the point where you can have storylines like these with movies, since most of the characters are already established.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When BvS trailer came out , it looked alright but was not hyped and the same can be said about Suicide Squad and Star wars.

But this , god damn I probably watched 30 times or more. The trailer itself is so good! And the thought that the directors from Winter Soldier are back to do this gives me too much hype. I always felt Winter Soldier film felt much more real and less sterile compared to Avengers and other Marvel films excluding Ironman. I hope it delivers.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The appeal of these movies continues to elude me. They're extremely well made, but these Avengers flicks were the first super good looking, action packed, blockbusters that made me think "man I think I'm too old for this." I loved Guardians of the Galaxy but out of the Marvel corner thats about it. In no way do I mean to take away from other peoples enjoyment, it's awesome that everyone here is super excited, I'm just always confused why these things never do anything for me since technically they're doing everything that I love.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Best thing about the trailer is the music, pretty amazing piece.

I feel I'm going to lose the enthusiasm for these films soon though, there are now so many heroes involved that it becomes a mess. I feel like Age of Ultron had two handful of main characters and there's simply not enough time in the movie to divide the focus in a good way.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Really dug this new trailer. The tone, music, falcon kick. If you told me 8 years ago that one day I'd be more excited to see a Captain America vs Iron Man movie than a Batman vs Superman movie released the same year, first I'd have said "man that Captain America and the Avengers game for the Mega Drive was DOPE" and then I'd have called you CRAYZUH.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jaymii

@dudeglove said:

As someone who cares not for the comics, the characterization for Bucky didn't feel earned at all in the previous film, and a sequel based around him seems eh... filler at best.

I did not dig Winter Soldier's fetishization of police militarization, nor the "I got this" line every few minutes. No wonder they dragged in Downey Jr. if only to give the film some gravitas, because Winter Soldier didn't have any.

I wish the relationship was more established in the first film, but I thought Winter Soldier did what it could - especially with some excellent flashbacks. By the end, I thought Sebastian Stan's killer performance really did an awesome job of painting their friendship with such few scenes. I'm not sure why you think Winter Soldier as a character would be filler... I feel like he's probably going to eclipse the importance of his comic iteration pretty soon.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

I hope the last few seconds of that trailer where they showed Iron Man fighting is early and it's going to be cleaned up a bit before release. The animation in that part looks so bad.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: It's kind of funny really because Bucky isn't even in the Civil War comics (afaik). The whole thing kicks off in the comics because of a reality TV show.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is William Hurt playing the same character the he did in The Incredible Hulk? Is that even still considered canon now that Ruffalo is Hulk?

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Age of Ultron or Ant-man, since these superhero movies just don't look interesting anymore. After watching the trailer, Civil War looks like it has the same problem, if not worse. It didn't feel like any of it mattered at all because all the heroes are just gonna go back to being pals again at the end of the movie, and nothing about the world or the characters will have changed. Also, the focus on Bucky seems pretty boring; he wasn't even much of a character in Winter Soldier.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

All these new comic book films look indistinguishable to me.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: A big thing for Cap is the whole "man out of time" thing, and seeing his old best friend that he thought he failed to save alive and well in the modern day, but doing bad shit, makes Bucky the personal angle for everything going on in that movie.

Their relationship is definitely more of a subplot, but seeing where they're taking Civil War, it's also a through line with the Cap movies. What's exciting here is that because these movies don't exist in isolation from the others, we've got Stark's relationship with Cap from the Avengers movies that also comes into play.

It's kinda bizarre how much the MCU is like the comic book format put to film. A big concurrent timeline with feeding and referencing happening across the board, broken up by big events. And now with "phase three" we'll start to get more crossovers and team-ups. But because of all that it's kinda necessary to treat these movies more like a big TV series, for better or for worse.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel: Ya, that's the problem with these movies. Nothing really changes, even when they killed Nic Fury, they just brought him back. it makes everything lack meaning. There's no way they are even going to commit to the levels of the comic books which are notorious for retconning everything every few years. If they had this movie end the same way as the comic series did it would be pretty fantastic but there isn't a hope in hell of that happening.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jaymii

@dudeglove: That's a fair interpretation. Marvel's whole thing with these films is about their characters, and fans affection for them. Above all else, if you like Captain America in these films, they have succeeded (to you). If you don't care about him, they've failed (to you). Everything else is secondary.

I haven't actually read the main Winter Soldier book, and barely read any Captain America. I've read the odd few runs, but Bucky is never really a big deal for me. The Winter Soldier as a character isn't super important in the grand scheme either. I'm 99% just buying into the story they're telling in the films - I like Evans' version of Cap a lot, and the simple idea of the guy you're trying to kill actually being your best friend was just enough for me to buy into it. Not because of Bucky, but because of Steve. And what it means for him.

They're still popcorn movies though, and everyone likes different flavours of the stuff.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These movies are never going to stop coming, are they?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By MezZa

I'm not familiar with the comic storyline, but this looks great. I loved winter soldier, so I'm really excited for the continuation of that. I like how they're kind of tying together the whole register vs. freedom angle with Cap's and Iron Man's friendship from Avengers. I don't know how far they'll take it, but the trailer made me legitimately feel like Stark is hurt because Roger's is choosing to stand with Bucky over him.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes said:

@dudeglove: It's kind of funny really because Bucky isn't even in the Civil War comics (afaik). The whole thing kicks off in the comics because of a reality TV show.

As someone that doesn't read comics, I'd believe that. Whenever a reality tv show comes on I always feel like hurting people.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By donchipotle

Is William Hurt playing the same character the he did in The Incredible Hulk? Is that even still considered canon now that Ruffalo is Hulk?

It's absolutely canon; Iron Man was in it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not familiar with the comic storyline, but this looks great. I loved winter soldier, so I'm really excited for the continuation of that. I like how they're kind of tying together the whole register vs. freedom angle with Cap's and Iron Man's friendship from Avengers. I don't know how far they'll take it, but the trailer made me legitimately feel like Stark is hurt because Roger's is choosing to stand with Bucky over him.

Luckily they aren't really following the comics story line. They took the name of the series and the basic premise of dividing the heroes against each other and that's it. It's a big plus, because the comic series of Civil War was a good idea that was executed pretty poorly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's dug all the marvel movies of the avengers era(that i've seen still haven't watched ant man) i'm hype for this. I think winter soldier was the best of the bunch after maybe the first avengers movie, and this looks like more of that.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

This was an incredible trailer. It is easily the second best trailer of the year only behind the Batman v Superman trailer. I'm glad they seem to be keeping the tone from The Winter Soldier rather than Age of Ultron. I don't want them to be fighting, but still joking around. I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

Quick notes:

- T'Challa looks awesome

- Lots of characters in this, but it's still a Cap centric story

- Fighting looks great

- Haven't shown the Vision and Spiderman and maybe Ant-Man?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These movies are never going to stop coming, are they?

That's kind of part of the fun though. The comics never stopped coming. They might get to a point at some time in the future where they run out of ideas and milk them until they are nonsense. But right now they are all at the very least passable if not pretty damn fun.
I look at them like a very sparse high budget t.v. show. Each one is just another episode. And we are in season 2 right now, the season that builds up from the first and gets ALL the money thrown at it so it can be full of action.
Then season three will happen and be the best because it always is.
Then shit will go off the rails because season four is ALWAYS the worst, am I right?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide said:

It's absolutely canon; Iron Man was in it.

Yeah, they make reference to the events of that film multiple times in other movies. Ruffalo is Edward Norton's Bruce Banner recast, not a new version of the character.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

As a big comic book fan and someone who has been mildly entertained by marvel movies I'd say this looks better than the last few.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mellotronrules

this looks ok. can't say i'm hyped,mbut i'm burned out on these movies.

i'd be interested if they did deep-character explorations with limited casting to provide focus, but since it seems every marvel film wants to have an ensemble cast, it just isn't giving me what i want.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The trailer looks whatever, but then again the trailer for Winter Soldier also looked super whatever. But this is being directed by the same two dudes who directed Winter Solider which is amazing because GOD DAMN that was easily the best Marvel movie to date. The trailer didn't do it justice but it ended up being amazing, so I'm sure this will be too.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird for a trailer to come out this early re: Marvel? Aside from the Avengers of course. Suppose it has been more than 5 seconds since the last Marvel movie.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The trailer looked very by-the-book; very uninspired like it was lifted from a standardized template. From the choice of music, to the voice-over action, to specific scenes of a secondary character beaten/dead, etc...the editing was formulaic. I am not saying that the movie won't be awesome, or that I won't see it because hell-yeah I will. I am just saying I found the trailer boring. No hype increased.