CBS prevents CNET from putting Dish product in awards....

• 93 results
angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By angouri

Not sure if anyone else caught this story, but considering the 'Bomb is now part of CBS, this is disconcerting.

Apparently CBS is suing Dish, but also censoring CNET's editorial because of a lawsuit seems wrong. CNET will no longer review products from Dish because CBS says so. Basically CBS is muffling one of the big tech voices because of a conflict over commercials.

Yikes

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kerned

Yeah, that's super shady.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

Well now. That's unfortunate.

I can understand them not reviewing any of their future products, but not -allowing- CNET to mention Dish products in their CES awards is utter madness.

Good thing CBS isn't suing any game companies at the moment, right?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

inb4 lock

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ramone

This disturbs me, I hope GB stays as far away from the part of CBS that sanctioned this as possible.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@ajamafalous: Why would this get locked? I haven't heard them mention this story yet. Is there another thread for this topic?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

@TruthTellah said:

@ajamafalous: Why would this get locked? I haven't heard them mention this story yet. Is there another thread for this topic?

when the CBS police come and demand that it be locked. twas a joke, i reckon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@TheHT said:

@TruthTellah said:

when the CBS police come and demand that it be locked. twas a joke, i reckon.

Ah, yeah, I figured that might have been the joke. Though, I was just making sure there wasn't another thread about this already, which would warrant it being closed. I imagine this will stay up as long as things maintain civil.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By audiosnow

It's probably for the best. At least this way their negative relationship can't negatively affect coverage and exposure. It's the negative counterpart to Giant Bomb refusing to review Bastion due to their relationship with the developer.

It's pretty childish, and reminds one that giant corporations really are run by one or two average people who give in to grudges when they shouldn't.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus
@ajamafalous said:
inb4 lock
Ha.
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@mlarrabee said:

It's probably for the best. At least this way their negative relationship can't negatively affect coverage and exposure. It's the negative counterpart to Giant Bomb refusing the review Bastion due to their relationship with the developer.

It's pretty childish, and reminds one that giant corporations really are run by one or two average people who give in to grudges when they shouldn't.

I agree that them not reviewing the products can make sense, but CBS not allowing CNET to give CES awards to any Dish-related products? That's just nuts.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sanity

I kinda get where there coming from but on the same hand they had to know this would look like shit.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

@TooWalrus said:

@ajamafalous said:
inb4 lock
Ha.
manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By manicraider

I love CBS.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kerned

@mlarrabee said:

It's probably for the best. At least this way their negative relationship can't negatively affect coverage and exposure.

But this is negatively affecting their coverage.

CNET is a tech news site. As journalists, they should have the editorial freedom to cover, review and give awards to whatever products they want. CBS is removing that freedom by forbidding them, in essence, from even acknowledging that Dish exists. Imagine if CBS was involved in a legal dispute with EA or Activision and forbid Giant Bomb from reviewing any games that they published, or discussing them during GOTY deliberations. That is the equivalent of what is happening here.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I bet the guys just loved reading about this.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By gkhan

@mlarrabee said:

It's probably for the best. At least this way their negative relationship can't negatively affect coverage and exposure. It's the negative counterpart to Giant Bomb refusing to review Bastion due to their relationship with the developer.

In absolutely no way whatsoever is this like Giant Bomb not reviewing Bastion. It's not even comparable. The whole point of this story is that the editorial staff of CNET is being bossed around by the corporate bosses, being told that they ARE NOT ALLOWED to judge products based on their merits and write reviews that server their reader's best interests. There is a whole host of reasons why this is upsetting, but one of the biggest problems is that it totally undermines CNET editorial credibility. How can a reader possibly trust that their "Best of CES" awards really goes to the best product at CES if one of the finalists were removed from consideration?

Also, if they can be bossed because of business concerns, why should it stop at litigation? How can a reader trust that they wont buckle under when a company threatens to remove ad money? This is why there needs to be a firewall between the business end of a company and its editorial staff, business people should have absolutely no power what so ever in making decisions regarding coverage of products.

With Bastion, it was not the business end that made the decision not to review it, it was the editorial staff. They made the decision because they realized that readers would have a hard time seeing them as neutral arbiters in this particular case. It was a signal saying "Hey guys, we know that there's an issue here, and we just want to make sure that you know that we're aware, and that we highly value your trust in us as editors and reviewers, so we're choosing not to review it". That is perfectly fine for the editorial side to decide; in fact, it's commendable. It was the right thing to do. It increased trust in Giant Bomb, whereas this CNET thing will only undermine their credibility.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yeah, this is not good stuff, and does make me a little worried for Giant Bomb.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

@Gamer_152 said:

Yeah, this is not good stuff, and does make me a little worried for Giant Bomb.

I feel like if CBS wanted to cockblock Giantbomb form covering/awarding/whatevering something, we'd find out about it and there'd be a giant shitstorm, and that's not good for anybody.

Kepler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kepler

That is pretty disgusting, and is very worrying. This would have never have happened had they accepted MY offer! It was two cats and 120$. Is that really not enough?

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Stimpack

Really can't say I care for Dish. Also, wasn't last year a bit of a shitstorm for them with the whole AMC debacle? Also, weren't they kind of on the decline prior to that?...

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By apathylad

You guys remember how we were told years ago that ad money had nothing to do with Jeff Gerstmann getting fired and years later Jeff revealed that ad money was the reason he got fired? >.> It's hard not to get cynical with this stuff after reading that article.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Stimpack

@Apathylad: Eh, but money has everything to do with anything everywhere and all the time. Money is the reason why they have anything to do with CBS in the first place. While in a perfect world it would be nice to not have to worry about such things, this is not that world. Whether articles like this pop up or not, stuff like this should never be considered out of the question. Cynicism and money go together like PB and J, you know it.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By triumvir

Fuck it. They walked out before; they could do it again.

BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BetonneTom

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3874682/exclusive-cbs-forced-cnet-editors-to-recast-vote-after-hopper-win

This just got a whole lot worse for cnet. Hopper was going to take the top spot before they pulled it

I think giantbomb would be wise to put out a statement about them not experiencing the same limitations. We all know how they feel about this, but saying nothing would not be wise. jar time would suffice i think. As long as they are quick about it before this becomes a 'thing'

Tiny update first reporter just resigned: Greg Sandoval.

'Hello all. Sad to report that I've resigned from CNET. I no longer have confidence that CBS is committed to editorial independence'

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phrosnite

Corporations are awesome!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superfriend

Well this is just awesome. The old slimebag execs at Gamespot/CNET may be gone, but they seem to have been replaced by a whole bunch of even bigger windbags that seem to be running the whole show.

Now, I don´t think this poses an immediate danger to Giantbomb, but to all of you who believe the Bombcrew could just walk away- don´t be ridiculous. It´s not like they had a lot of choice to keep their operation going when shit went down last year.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Levius

Wow, this sounds super bad. The only good thing is its much less likely for CBS to fall out with a video game company than a device that directly impacts their revenue, but still just because its unlikely to happen doesn't mean that its OK that it could happen.

Grasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Grasu

I dont think giant bomb has much to worry about. Jeff is a smart guy, he probably made sure the contract is in such a way that they won't be censored. I think they themselves kinda hinted at that.

I think they are more similar to the Activision-Bungie contract, where Activision cant do much to Bungie. (and we all know what dicks Activision are)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamjohn

This does not affect Giant Bomb in any way whatsoever so I'll be honest in saying I don't particularly care. That said, it's pretty damn fucked up and doesn't make it sound like the corporate overlords have learned anything from 2007.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By evilmax17

Poignant words from one Rich Gallup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl2gTsMQ90#t=3504s

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hunkulese

Wtf is dish?

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Jayzilla

@evilmax17 said:

Poignant words from one Rich Gallup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl2gTsMQ90#t=3504s

If you don't watch it, it's just a reminder from RIch for all of us to hold the Top Men accountable now that they work for a corporation.

Avatar image for deactivated-629e80cba65ea
deactivated-629e80cba65ea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gertsmanngate redux! We've come full circle. After reading today's news on The Verge about what likely went down, the GB crew should be worried. They may be enthusiast press, but the independence is still important.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rahulricky

This stinks something awful. Whilst I trust the GB team I do hope they put something out to reiterate that CBSi has no influence on their editorial.

TheJasonSigler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By TheJasonSigler

To add/correct some details, the product affected in this particular instance in the Hopper, a DISH device that allows for the automatic skipping of commercials on all the big networks (who are all suing DISH in a lawsuit that is ongoing), so to say that all products are affected is just conjecture. Also, the Hopper was not removed from contention according to the update on The Verge write-up, but rather rejected as the winner for Best of Show before the winners were announced to the public.

I completely disagree with the actions taken by CBS and my greatest concern is now that one well known CNET employee (Greg Sandoval) has already resigned over the issue, will others wish to jump ship? More specifically, will any GB/GS employees feel compelled to go as well?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By alternate

Corporations always push their own agenda. At least they put a disclaimer with the facts in it. FOX still claims to be "fair and balanced".

On a certain level you can't blame them for not wanting to promote someone they are in a legal battle with.

The Cnet guy probably had to go to preserve his integrity, just like Jeff had to go back when (not that I think this is comparable). I don't see any mass walkouts in protest.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spookytapes

I'm a little worried about this. I'm guessing the GB guys have something in their contract to prevent things like this from happening to them. I hope!

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By OneManX

Yeah I would calm down... I dont think this is have any impact on the GB crew in the near future.

But, I think this will make people keep a stronger eye on CBS/CBSi

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Benny

I just saw the fresh prince retweet the guy announcing his resignation so I really do hope Giant Bomb have something to say about this cause once again the spotlight is on the integrity of CBSi and it's the absolute worst possible thing that could happen to Giant Bomb after it having literally happened to them fairly recently.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

2 more years guys. Calling it.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By excast

@msavo:

Til what? We begin the cycle anew?

I dunno. I've always sort of felt the same ever since Giantbomb returned to their old stomping grounds. I mean, things were smoothed over in the beginning and we heard about all this trust and various guarantees between John Davidson and Jeff, etc ..but where are we now? Davidson is long gone and there seems to be a lot of flux.

I hope things work out for Giantbomb here long term. I really do. I just don't have much trust when it comes to the suits keeping their paws off of things and allowing people to do what they do.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jams

@Excast said:

@msavo:

Til what? We begin the cycle anew?

I dunno. I've always sort of felt the same ever since Giantbomb returned to their old stomping grounds. I mean, things were smoothed over in the beginning and we heard about all this trust and various guarantees between John Davidson and Jeff, etc ..but where are we now? Davidson is long gone and there seems to be a lot of flux.

I hope things work out for Giantbomb here long term. I really do. I just don't have much trust when it comes to the suits keeping their paws off of things and allowing people to do what they do.

Wait, where's the flux that you're talking about? I hope Giant Bomb works out too, but I think as long as Jeff keeps wanting to do this sort of thing, we'll all be okay.

Donoram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Donoram

So CBS and CNET confirm that yep, CBS did step in after the vote had already been taken.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3876320/cnet-editor-confirms-dish-hopper-was-best-of-ces

Also the release by CBS about the hopper being an illegal device is pretty ridiculous.

CBS has nothing but the highest regard for the editors and writers at CNET, and has managed that business with respect as part of its CBS Interactive division since it was acquired in 2008. This has been an isolated and unique incident in which a product that has been challenged as illegal, was removed from consideration for an award. The product in question is not only the subject of a lawsuit between Dish and CBS, but between Dish and nearly every other major media company as well. CBS has been consistent on this situation from the beginning, and, in terms of covering actual news, CNET maintains 100% editorial independence, and always will. We look forward to the site building on its reputation of good journalism in the years to come.
Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vigil80

"Oh no, GiantBomb," was my first thought when I heard about it, too. Indeed, the outlet where I first read the story compared it to what happened to Jeff Gerstmann years ago.

I don't want to be alarmist and automatically assume that it means something shady is happening or will happen at GB. It's just a shame, and a really bad precedent. But the guys aren't stupid, and neither are we.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By MildMolasses

All this does is remind me how fucking stupid the name Dish is for a company

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By excast

@Jams: Well, look at the nature of the transition when Giantbomb first came over. The main reason we were told things would be cool was become John Davidson was in charge and he had a decent relationship with the GB guys. And where is he now? And we have all heard them talk at length about the huge number of meetings they have to attend on a regular basis.

I dunno..it just seems like some of the expectations that were in place at the beginning have sort of gone away.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By BBAlpert

@MildMolasses said:

All this does is remind me how fucking stupid the name Dish is for a company

Is it better or worse than Cox?

Heh, cocks.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jams

@Excast said:

@Jams: Well, look at the nature of the transition when Giantbomb first came over. The main reason we were told things would be cool was become John Davidson was in charge and he had a decent relationship with the GB guys. And where is he now? And we have all heard them talk at length about the huge number of meetings they have to attend on a regular basis.

I dunno..it just seems like some of the expectations that were in place at the beginning have sort of gone away.

Yeah I had a feeling that would happen. It's bound to. The corporations always make you think nothing changes and it doesn't... for a short while, then before you know it there are a whole group of new people and the name changed. I'm looking at you "G4".

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mobius006

Glad there is a thread for this as I was just about to make on..

To start with, Please read these articles from TheVerge who broke the story from CES

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/10/3862558/cnet-parent-cbs-bans-coverage

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3874682/exclusive-cbs-forced-cnet-editors-to-recast-vote-after-hopper-win

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3876320/cnet-editor-confirms-dish-hopper-was-best-of-ces

Tl;DR?

Cnet was forced to recast their votes at CES for ‘Best of CES’ after senior management at CBS got wind that a Dish Network product had won. A company that CBS (parent company of CNET and GB/Gamespot) was currently in litigation with.

As someone with growing fears of ‘The Big Six”, when a news story like this breaks it worries me.

I don’t want to go into the issue of CNET and CBS, since this isn’t the place. What I want to do is instead focus on how awesome GiantBomb is.

Giantbombs unique way of covering news, reviews, and gaming culture has created a site where this doesn’t need to be questioned. They currently run the most honest, open, and in-depth gaming site in my opinion.

If anything along these lines happened at Giantbomb, I trust I would read or hear about it first from them before reading it on another site.

As Premium member from day one I would like to thank the hard working staff at Giantbomb for creating a site like this.