#1 Posted by jerseyscum (913 posts) -
#2 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

well thats not terrifying or anyhting.

#3 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3109 posts) -

Well... shit. This'll do wonders for my already out of control paranoia.

Also, someone should send that second article to Brad, so we can get an hour of him being terrified on the next Bombcast.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5314 posts) -

well shit

tagging @Brad to this thread.

#5 Edited by jerseyscum (913 posts) -

MRSA is just so passe.....

#6 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Never sleeping ever again

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Allergies.

#8 Posted by jerseyscum (913 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Allergies.

That's just the Captain Trips.

#9 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

50% mortality rate is only for patients suffering from bacteremia due to CRE.

#10 Posted by cmblasko (1321 posts) -

"This is a real public health issue. Creating more resistant strains is a serious long-term problem. The new warning is panicking a lot of people, but for the wrong reasons. You're very, very unlikely to get a CRE infection anytime in the near future. It's important that hospitals work to prevent that problem from getting worse, but almost everyone reading about it this week will be unaffected by it."

I'll hold off on worrying too much about this.

#11 Edited by zenmastah (972 posts) -

This is why i never go to a hospital.

#12 Posted by mellotronrules (1230 posts) -

well, it's only a matter of time. antibiotics' effectiveness is finite, and it's not like we've found a diversity of alternatives. MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR, or something.

#13 Posted by jewunit (1064 posts) -

Seriously though, if you have a reasonably strong immune system and wash your hands with suitable frequency, you are not likely to contract CRE in the first place.

#14 Edited by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

Fox........Die.........

#15 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -
@cmblasko said:

"This is a real public health issue. Creating more resistant strains is a serious long-term problem. The new warning is panicking a lot of people, but for the wrong reasons. You're very, very unlikely to get a CRE infection anytime in the near future. It's important that hospitals work to prevent that problem from getting worse, but almost everyone reading about it this week will be unaffected by it."

Yeah, the thread title makes it sound like a pandemic that's spreading like widlfire.

#16 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The whole thing is definitely being played up a little too much. Yes, there's a 50% mortality rate, but it's also probably worth pointing out there's only been something like six cases of people being infected. Three people dying is tragic, but you hardly have to worry about catching this yourself tomorrow.

(I think the numbers are slightly higher than that, but still).

#17 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

Yeah, the thread title makes it sound like a pandemic that's spreading like widlfire.

Pageview journalism.

#18 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@mrsignerman44 said:
@cmblasko said:

Pageview journalism.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. But at least the author had a good point about antibiotics that he may have been able to get across to more people so I'll forgive it this time.

#19 Edited by Tobiass (150 posts) -
#20 Edited by jerseyscum (913 posts) -

OK. This might be the lame-ass mainstream media trying to panic people....but antibiotic resistant bugs are legitimately goddamn scary. Once the CDC starts putting out press releases and notices to nursing homes and hospitals, that's something that needs to be taken seriously. Imagine an outbreak of this stuff at a hospital in a major metropolitan area.

Bacteria and viruses are fantastic lifeforms. They adapt and survive possibly better than anything else.

Maybe I've read "The Hot Zone" way too many times.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@mrsignerman44 said:
@cmblasko said:

Pageview journalism.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. But at least the author had a good point about antibiotics that he may have been able to get across to more people so I'll forgive it this time.

I'm also talking about this thread's title making it sound like this thing is already out there killing a bunch of people.

#22 Edited by Intro (1211 posts) -

Interesting. For some reason I feel like it's like a lot of things on the news, over-exaggerated and something I'll never have to worry about. No disrespect to the OP, as I said it's an interesting topic lol. I just think that some people might be worrying more than they should.

EDIT: And if I'm wrong, then there's a good chance I'll be dead, so all you survivors won't have to point out how wrong I was and mock me.

#23 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Allergies.

That's just the Captain Trips.

I hate to look like such a nerd, but Captain Trips was a super flu.

#24 Edited by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

meh. Sounds scary, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had its cousin MRSA and nearly died. Took a year of antibiotics and three years of surgeries to recover.

Wait...

I think that's actually a reason to take some of these concerns seriously...

#25 Posted by RPGee (763 posts) -

I'll just sit back and relax here on my island nation away from the icky stuff.

Also, it'll probably be okay in the short term, and if you do basic hygiene anyway you should be alright.

#26 Posted by TheHT (11670 posts) -

aw man, i was hoping it was something that caused waking nightmares or something. that'd fit nicely with this weeks shenanigens.

#27 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1200 posts) -

That's why we need more people creating new antibiotics and less use of antibiotics in general (people, cattle, livestock etc.) There will be a day in which a bacteria will be resistant to every antibiotics ever made and the development of new kinds of antibiotics to combat it will come far too late.

Basic hygiene is not always going to cut it, while MSRA only spreads through direct contact...it's a bacteria that can survive in very harsh conditions. Think about airborne resistant bacteria for example, that's why we have such a problem with XDR and MDR Tuberculosis in Europe. While this news may be a bit overexaggerated, I hope people at least think about how we are causing most resistant bacteria ourselves. Stop feeding our animals with antibiotics.

#28 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Well I'm heading to Madagascar. I'm sure they'll shut down the ports with this news.