Certain Indie bands shouldn't make music videos.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

Dirty Projector's CD Bitte Orca was decent, maybe a little too ambitious for its own good, but still decent. You'd think that in their first music video with a budget, the band would: A. Pick a song that could work in a video, such as No Intention or B. At least add some high concept imagery to fit their high concept music; instead, the band decided that close singing shots followed by bad, TLC-style dancing and weird animal shots would be the way to go.  This year has been a terrific year for music videos by lesser known bands: Fiest, Grizzly Bear, Matt & Kim, Camera Obscura, Bat for Lashes, and hell, even Phoenix seem to have had no issue in the transition to music video. I could list a ton of things that are wrong with it, first of which would be that it gives the impression that Dirty Projectors are a girl-group, which they aren't. it's typical for a band like Dirty Projectors to try something different than the "Band playing song montage", but sometimes that can work just fine, like in this Camera Obscura video for "Let's Get Out of this Country". But then again, with the type of music Dirty Projectors makes along with this video, maybe they just want to stay Indie forever and never sell any records.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

Dirty Projector's CD Bitte Orca was decent, maybe a little too ambitious for its own good, but still decent. You'd think that in their first music video with a budget, the band would: A. Pick a song that could work in a video, such as No Intention or B. At least add some high concept imagery to fit their high concept music; instead, the band decided that close singing shots followed by bad, TLC-style dancing and weird animal shots would be the way to go.  This year has been a terrific year for music videos by lesser known bands: Fiest, Grizzly Bear, Matt & Kim, Camera Obscura, Bat for Lashes, and hell, even Phoenix seem to have had no issue in the transition to music video. I could list a ton of things that are wrong with it, first of which would be that it gives the impression that Dirty Projectors are a girl-group, which they aren't. it's typical for a band like Dirty Projectors to try something different than the "Band playing song montage", but sometimes that can work just fine, like in this Camera Obscura video for "Let's Get Out of this Country". But then again, with the type of music Dirty Projectors makes along with this video, maybe they just want to stay Indie forever and never sell any records.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I totally agree. I really liked the new Dirty Projectors album, but I couldn't help but say "WTF!?" when I saw that music video.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

that video is fucking garbage. looks like some shitty college experimental shit. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Chaser324:

I must say, I've warmed up to the album recently. I'd give it about an 8 if I re-reviewed it...but since this video exists, it remains at 6.5 ^_^
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By phlegms

Llamas???

What the hell did I just watch Bruce...

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

Is it a benefit that I can't see it because I'm in the UK and it says it's not available due to copyright restrictions.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NukeSpoon

Music videos are mostly bollocks.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bruce
@Ineedaname:

Type in Stillness is the Move and see if the official vid pops up, then tell me for yourself.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce
@phlegms:

It's a good thing I posted a good one along side it -_-...

BUT HEY WHO DOESN'T LIKE LLAMAS AND THREE TALL ASS GIRLS RE-ENACTING THE WATERFALLS VIDEO?
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By cinemandrew

Fantastic location. Too bad the video's not great. It's well shot, it's just not very interesting as a whole. Also, what the fuck is up with the last shot. The fucking alpaca goes the wrong way, so the dude leading it has to jerk it back in the right direction, and then one of the chicks totally stumbles. DO ANOTHER TAKE ASSHOLE!!! That's just obviously bad. It makes the filmmakers look like amateurs, which is unfortunate since it appears that most of the crew knew what they were doing, just not the man in charge.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruce
@cinemandrew:

That and they picked the wrong song. >_>
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cinemandrew
@Bruce: Yeah, I'm not familiar with their music, but it does seem like an odd fit.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Most music videos suck anyway

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@natetodamax said:
" Most music videos suck anyway "
Not true.

In this video, the band had to travel a long ways to make it. Unfortunately, the band had forgotten the drumset. So notice the drummer through to video:

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cinemandrew
@lilburtonboy7489: That's not so bad. I once forgot the camera for a shoot. We got a backup, but as punishment the director made me get hit by a car. The worst part: we weren't even rolling on the best take... and it hurt.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TwoOneFive said:
" that video is fucking garbage. looks like some shitty college experimental shit.  "
haha
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce
@cinemandrew:

Wow.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Man if you think Bitte Orca was overly ambitious you should try listening to their older stuff!

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By CoolDrMoney
Holy shit. I never actually saw the video before, even though I like the album for the most part, but wow. It's actually rather embarrassing to watch.

@lilburtonboy7489:

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce
@MiamiRedHawks:

I listened to that album they came out with in 2003 that had a cover with a naked guy on it. It was a drawing of course, but shlong was shown!
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Hamst3r