Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
Like this.
Like this.
Primetime was one of the NXE features that was touted at E3 2008, but failed to make the dashboard update's Fall 2008 launch, and Microsoft talked about this social gaming program at CES tonight for the first time since its delay. The idea behind Primetime, according to Microsoft's Robbie Bach, is to create scheduled programming on the Xbox 360--an idea that, on its own, doesn't resonates with me particularly, though the prospect of participating in a live game show is definitely intriguing. Bach ran a quick demo of 1 vs. 100, the first bit of programming for Primetime. Though sadly lacking in the Bob Saget, the quiz show demonstration highlighted the fact that it was all live with highly topical questions about the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and a college football game that happened just a few days ago, and with a host that would make some fairly specific comments on different players' performance. The demo closed out with the announcement that Primetime would be coming to the 360 this Spring.

It wasn't the most thrilling of demonstrations, though that might have more to do with the fact that the game being played was 1 vs. 100 than the inherent concept. Here's a tip, Microsoft; if you want to get me excited about your live game shows, forget this post-Millionaire format nonsense and give me something classic like Card Sharks or Family Feud or Match Game.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
Like this.
Like this.
Primetime was one of the NXE features that was touted at E3 2008, but failed to make the dashboard update's Fall 2008 launch, and Microsoft talked about this social gaming program at CES tonight for the first time since its delay. The idea behind Primetime, according to Microsoft's Robbie Bach, is to create scheduled programming on the Xbox 360--an idea that, on its own, doesn't resonates with me particularly, though the prospect of participating in a live game show is definitely intriguing. Bach ran a quick demo of 1 vs. 100, the first bit of programming for Primetime. Though sadly lacking in the Bob Saget, the quiz show demonstration highlighted the fact that it was all live with highly topical questions about the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and a college football game that happened just a few days ago, and with a host that would make some fairly specific comments on different players' performance. The demo closed out with the announcement that Primetime would be coming to the 360 this Spring.

It wasn't the most thrilling of demonstrations, though that might have more to do with the fact that the game being played was 1 vs. 100 than the inherent concept. Here's a tip, Microsoft; if you want to get me excited about your live game shows, forget this post-Millionaire format nonsense and give me something classic like Card Sharks or Family Feud or Match Game.
purpletommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By purpletommy

Can't wait. Looking forward for this forsure!

Badam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Foil1212

Right on in terms of Card Sharks!  Let's make a Deal would be interesting, too...

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Hope it is as good as it sounds

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Can we assume users outside of the US won't be getting this?

romeoinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By romeoinc

What happened to "no game news out of CES"? Granted, nothing super important but still news...ish.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By Hector

Looks like fun!

Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seanakin66

NO WHAMMIES!!!1!!!

Er, uh, or maybe not.

Mae a deal with the peeps at Jeopardy!, though, and I'm down.

adny2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adny2

this could really be big. if they can get more familiar game shows licensed for xbla like 'The Price Is Right, Family Feud, Wheel Of Fortune, and Jeopardy', then Microsoft could seriously own the casual market.

can you imagine playing Family Feud with real xbla families and friends?  i've been wanting 'this' for years now.

HUGE.

TheFridgeGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFridgeGC

This looks like it could be something big, but you've got to be kidding, 1vs100, come on!!!! LAME.........that show didn't last 3 months on Australian tv....but i don't think Australians will get this because we never get any of the good stuff....just the left overs

codetherion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By codetherion

I can't see the purpose unless the victors in these games win microsoft points.... which would be a really obvious move i suppose

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By TheHBK

Fuck these new game shows.  Family Feud, maybe, but Jeopardy baby!  Gimme that.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Media_Master

don't care

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maxszy

Don't understand the appeal, myself.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By MjHealy

Is this coming to Europe in spring? Half-interested

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By TOYBOXX

I've been excited for this feature since it was announced back at E3 '08, however, disappointed when it didn't make it's debut along side NXE. I'm glad to here that it'll be released this spring.

With that said I agree with Ryan in that this post - millionare format is getting a bit old. Whatever happened to the gameshows where the constastants had fun playing the games instead of playing to get rich? Show's like Wheel of Fortune or even Family Feud, hell even Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?, although don't reward players nearly as much money, seem way more enjoyable to me.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jediautobot

They so need a tie-in with the Game Show Network.

Watch for that Family Feud peripheral, Dawson Lips!

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By teh_destroyer

Sounds like it could be fun,i will keep my eye on it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

Sounds interesting and could be fun.  I will have to follow it.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010

Could be fun

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I hope this is worth the wait, though I am not that interested in the feature from the beginning. 

steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By steelharrison

o well

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
RomeoInc said:
"What happened to "no game news out of CES"? Granted, nothing super important but still news...ish."

they meant don't expect many bombhshells.
MS announced this, Kodu, and a 3rd party controller that looks great was revealed.

By contrast, MS says that they'll basically rock E3 this year.  Not necessarily related but, to put it into perspective of us not knowing, Bungie said on their podcast that chances are that we'll see their a trailer of their new game before years end, which sort of hints at something.  One, that this game is going to be announced and also that Bungie is going to have another game in 2010 probably meaning that'd be 2 years in a row and only a year before that Halo 3.

By contrast it took 3 years for Halo 1 to Halo 2 and those were the only games bungie released