• 55 results
#1 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

Hey chaps! (Potentially not for the squeamish!)

So I felt like absolute hell this past friday, and finished the day collapsing after a 10 hour shift with a migraine headache and a lack of energy. Then saturday was pretty standard but still felt a bit drowsy even though the headache had gone! HOWEVER just yesterday I've erupted in red spots all over....well everywhere!! Delicious I know!!

Looking online it looks like I've bust out in either chickenpox (I never contracted it as a kid) or possibly shingles, but the symptoms online don't totally match!!

Anyway I totally know this isn't a medical site (obviously), but as I'm awaiting tomorrows diagnosis at the local docs, I thought I'd just ask if any of you guys contracted chickenpox at my age, or any similar disease that makes your skin erupt in...I dunno HUNDREDS of tiny painful blotches?

Cheers.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yea, Chickenpox made his best albums when he was 22. Don't get me wrong; his current stuff is good, but it's never gonna be as good as the early years. (But man, did his late 20s suck pretty hard.)

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

or any similar disease that makes your skin erupt in...I dunno HUNDREDS of tiny painful blotches?

I'd rather not talk about this.

#4 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

Shit man I totally missed the boat! I've been listenin to ChickenFOOT this entire time. Might as well cancel the appointment now :D

#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6305 posts) -

@Dany said:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

or any similar disease that makes your skin erupt in...I dunno HUNDREDS of tiny painful blotches?

derp

#6 Posted by notdavid (840 posts) -

Yo, check this out. Chickenpox are fucking bullshit.

#7 Posted by DeeGee (2141 posts) -

You can catch chickenpox at any age, if you haven't previously been exposed to it.

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Remember, call a lot of kids to your home, offer them candy.

#9 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

Patient zero.

#10 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

@notdavid said:

Yo, check this out. Chickenpox are fucking bullshit.

As I'm finding out mate!! I keep hearing Flanders' voice from the Simpsons where he says spots are 'fun to scratch', but these are just VERY FUCKING PAINFUL TO TOUCH!!

Most of you guys had it when you were much younger I'm guessing? It is sorta thought of as a childs' disease innit?

#11 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Doesn't chickenpox at an old age lead to sterility? Luclily I got it when I was like 3

#12 Posted by notdavid (840 posts) -

@ShalashaskaUK666: I scratched the shit out of my chikenpox when I was 8. If they hurt to touch, you might want to see a doctor.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

This advice might blow your mind, but you should see a doctor.  Chickenpox can be pretty bad for adults, iirc.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

This advice might blow your mind, but you should see a doctor. Chickenpox can be pretty bad for adults, iirc.

It may cost you a bit of money, but this is the best advice you're going to get.

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

This advice might blow your mind, but you should see a doctor. Chickenpox can be pretty bad for adults, iirc.

He said he's seeing one tomorrow in the original post.

But yeah, chickenpox can be pretty bad for adults. Drink a ton of water.

#16 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

I'm not sure if you can contract shingles without having contracted chickenpox. On another note, my grandpa called me not too long ago and said he has shingles, imagine that!

#17 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

When I was a child my mom straight up rubbed me on kids with chicken pox and I never got it, so I'm probably due for it as well.

#18 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Getting chickenpox at 22 is kinda late so not sure if you were lucky/unlucky to have avoided it till now. I got chickenpox around 5 years old and it itched a lot! At least you get to stay home and play games I guess. Also, do not scratch.

#19 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

You can only get shingles if you've already had chickenpox.

#20 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

@Dany said:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

Smallpox. Now THAT'S a disease that makes your skin erupt into THOUSANDS of tiny, painful blotches.

#21 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

@Dany said:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

Smallpox. Now THAT'S a disease that makes your skin erupt into THOUSANDS of tiny, painful blotches.

Be glad you don't have Necrotizing fasciitis. That literally makes your skin die and fall off.

#22 Posted by Klaimore (948 posts) -

Maybe if you stop worshiping the Devil you'd be fine.

#23 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

You're gonna die.

#24 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I got it when I was 24 and it fucking sucked. It's pretty hard on adults. My fever got so high for a while that I started to get delirious and shit. Fun. It was towards finals week my senior year in college too and I had a fuckhead professor dock my grade for missed classes. No exceptions, she said. Brutal.

I don't think you're old enough to get shingles. From what I understand, that's an autoimmune reaction that sometimes results after contracting the chickenpox virus after you've already had it, and usually only affects older people.

#25 Edited by MetalBaofu (1413 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

You can only get shingles if you've already had chickenpox.

That's what i was going to say.

If you've never had chickenpox then you can't have shingles. You can get chickenpox by coming in contact with someone that has shingles, if you have never had chickenpox before. And by contact, I mean physical contact with the blisters that form when someone has shingles. Also, you cannot get shingles from someone with shingles.

@frankfartmouth said:

I don't think you're old enough to get shingles. From what I understand, that's an autoimmune reaction that sometimes results after contracting the chickenpox virus after you've already had it, and usually only affects older people.

Age doesn't matter. All that matters is that you had chickenpox before. It is more common in older people, but you can get it at any age. Once you have had chickenpox the virus remains dormant somewhere(don't remember where...been awhile since I looked up this stuff). When/if the virus flares back up, then you get shingles.

#26 Posted by Max_Cherry (1136 posts) -

@ShalashaskaUK666: You probably already know this, but the Chicken Pox is a very serious even fatal disease at your age. You SHOULD NOT be alone, and if you are you should go to a family or friends residence (Who have already been pre-exposed to chicken pox) immediately. It will probably be fine but don't hesitate to go to the emergency room or call 911 if things suddenly go south.

#27 Posted by Deusoma (3018 posts) -
@TEHMAXXORZ said:

@Dany said:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

Way to go, Shalashaska, you've brought an eradicated illness back from the dead. :(
#28 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

Thanks for all the advice broskies!!

Yeah I've been drinking pint after pint of water!! Also in my n00bified state I google imaged 'smallpox'....that was NOT fun!!

Awesome news on the shingles immunisation as well, I'm 'hoping' i guess, that this is Le Pox!!

I'm literally exactly a week from my final university deadline of final year, as well as the final goodbye ceremonies and MANY houseparties....SO THIS CAME AT A BRILLIANT TIME!!

Thanks guys!!

#29 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

@Max_Cherry said:

@ShalashaskaUK666: You probably already know this, but the Chicken Pox is a very serious even fatal disease at your age. You SHOULD NOT be alone, and if you are you should go to a family or friends residence (Who have already been pre-exposed to chicken pox) immediately. It will probably be fine but don't hesitate to go to the emergency room or call 911 if things suddenly go south.

Thanks man, yeah I'll be seein a doc first thing tomorrow!! As for now my inner Brit has provided some much needed comfort as a cup of tea has actually made me feel momentarily okay!! :D

#30 Posted by Sackmanjones (4741 posts) -

The older you are the more dangerous they are. However at age 22 you should be ok if it is the chickenpox.

#31 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

I got it when I was 24 and it fucking sucked. It's pretty hard on adults. My fever got so high for a while that I started to get delirious and shit. Fun. It was towards finals week my senior year in college too and I had a fuckhead professor dock my grade for missed classes. No exceptions, she said. Brutal.

If you can remember, how long was it between the eruption of the spots and a sign of them clearing up please?

I'm quite an outgoin mofo with it bein the student life, and I run a shop as well! So the sooner I can 'appear in public' again, the better haha!!

#32 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

@ShalashaskaUK666:

I was out of school for about 5 days, but when I went back I still had spots all over my face. The doctor said I wasn't contagious anymore, and I had to stop the bleeding on missed classes, so off I went.

It took about another 4 or 5 days I think for them to completely go away. Worst thing was I had a bad patch of them that broke out over one of my tattoos on my arm and it pocked it all up and ruined it. Turned a $300 tattoo into a scribble

#33 Posted by Max_Cherry (1136 posts) -

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

@Max_Cherry said:

Thanks man, yeah I'll be seein a doc first thing tomorrow!! As for now my inner Brit has provided some much needed comfort as a cup of tea has actually made me feel momentarily okay!! :D

Good. In the mean time drink plenty of fluids and keep an eye on your temperature. I had a friend who got chicken pox at 16 about 3 days later she had a fever, but neither her or her parents thought much of it. She developed cerebral Meningitis during the night and was rushed to the hospital early in the morning. Unfortunately, she died a few hours later. All this happened despite her father being a doctor. She was 16 and your 22. You can never be to careful. Get well soon, duder.

#34 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1330 posts) -

Chicken Pox can be deadly for adults, so see a doctor asap!

#35 Posted by Cloneslayer (1636 posts) -

this is you one opportunity to bath in oatmeal! use it wisely!

#36 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

I got them when I was 15. I was lucky as I missed my summer exams and my school was awesome enough to give me a straight pass through to the top class. But on-topic , they were everywhere , like you, on my eyebrows , I had one about the size of 3 knuckles on my head all over my legs, even in the "sensitive area" . Day 1 I had 3 spots. Day 2 I had about 10. Day 3 I had 170. They just came during the night. My mom told me to bathe in baking soda. It seemed to help but it made it more itchy. I put socks on my hands and played arkham asylum to pass the time. If your brain ain't hurting. Try playing some games to keep your mind off of it.

#37 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Max_Cherry That is really bloody sad.

As for the chicken pox, I'll just reiterate the not being alone and drink lots of water advice.

When I had them as a kid they never got ultra itchy for me, but from what I understand mine were quite mild. A friend of mine who had them at the same time, however, got them all over her body...a fact I had proven to me when she peeled off all her clothes in a temperature-induced delirium and ran into the glass door of her shower in an attempt to "warm up."

We were kids, btw, nothing too skeevy (though I was appreciative)
#38 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

If you haven't had the chicken pox vaccine then it is possible to have it as an adult. The older you are the worse it can be. Best part about it too is now you have the shingles virus in you as well.

#39 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

I'm 23, never had them.. stay the fuck away from me!!

#40 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I copped the chickenpox when I was 18 and in summertime in Oz; which means boiling hot and itchy as a donkey's bum. Don't itch those bastards cos now I got little scars on my forehead and elsewhere.

Was pretty unenjoyable, was bed ridden for 2 weeks or more and just had no strength whatsoever. Luckily, I had drugs, and that calamine or something lotion was vital...

like someone said, get your ass to the doctor.

#41 Posted by NOT_MUCH_CHOP (25 posts) -

Yeah it's not fun. I got chickenpox when i was 32 and have the scars to prove it. Looked and felt like absolute crap. But try to resist the urge to scratch. Infants can now be immunised against it so if you have little ones, do it!

#42 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#43 Posted by Trilogy (2675 posts) -

I got mine when I was around 11 or so. I had them everywhere. Yea...

#44 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Ya i'm glad my mom basically sent me to my friends house when he had the chiceknpox because it can be brutal at an older age.

#45 Posted by IAmNotBatman (654 posts) -

I'm a doctor and that looks fucked up!

#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I was lucky enough to be immunized as a baby because of a documentary my parents saw about Chickenpox fatalities or something. All I know is my dad mentioned it scaring the shit out of him so he got me immunized.

#47 Posted by believer258 (11992 posts) -

I got the chickenpox at a really young age. I actually don't remember them - my parents told me that it was hell, but I can't remember it. I think I was only three or four years old.

#48 Posted by Fattony12000 (7527 posts) -

Talk to your doctor.

If you don't have a doctor, then go on a gun crazy rampage, killing as many innocents as you can. Leave none alive.

#49 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@Divina_Rex said:

I'm not sure if you can contract shingles without having contracted chickenpox. On another note, my grandpa called me not too long ago and said he has shingles, imagine that!

This.

Also, there's a vaccination for shingles, but your insurance (if you're American) likely won't cover it until you're of the age when it starts to be a problem (45+).

#50 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Couldn't find any decent pictures but..

Planet Terror.