Dave's Chili recipe

Cooking stuff needed

• Crock pot or slow cooker.
  • Strainer.
  • 1 large frying pan.

Ingredients

• 3 lbs. ground beef
  • One tablespoon or so Olive oil.
  • 4 anaheim peppers (2 large green peppers can sub)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 onions
  • 2 small cans sliced jalepeno peppers with juice.
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice.
  • 2 cans pinto beans.
  • 1 cup flour or corn startch
  • 1/2 bag pre-shredded blended mexican or cheddar cheese.
  • Lemon Pepper, Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions

1. Cover bottom of large skillet with olive oil, add diced garlic and cook 1 minute.
  2. Add beef, separate into fine chunks and add lemon pepper. Cook till brown.
  3. Strain beef to remove extra fat, transfer to your crock pot.
  4. Dice Onions and Peppers and add to pot.
  5. Add, beans, tomatoes and jalepenos to pot with all juices from cans. Add one cup of water using one of the cans.
  6. Add a few tablespoons of cumin, chili powder. Usually I use about a third container of each from your normal sized small spice container.
  7. Add half a cup of flour to one of your empty cans and fill it with cold water till 3/4th full. Mix with a spoon till creamy then add to pot.
  8. Let cook for 90 mins stirring every 30 mins, then repeat last step with more flour if it's not thick enough. Taste and add more chili or cumin as needed.
  9. Cook another 60 mins then add two handfuls of shredded cheese and mix into the chili.
  10. Cook for 30 more mins then serve with saltines! Enjoy.
#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Dave's Chili recipe

Cooking stuff needed

• Crock pot or slow cooker.
  • Strainer.
  • 1 large frying pan.

Ingredients

• 3 lbs. ground beef
  • One tablespoon or so Olive oil.
  • 4 anaheim peppers (2 large green peppers can sub)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 onions
  • 2 small cans sliced jalepeno peppers with juice.
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice.
  • 2 cans pinto beans.
  • 1 cup flour or corn startch
  • 1/2 bag pre-shredded blended mexican or cheddar cheese.
  • Lemon Pepper, Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions

1. Cover bottom of large skillet with olive oil, add diced garlic and cook 1 minute.
  2. Add beef, separate into fine chunks and add lemon pepper. Cook till brown.
  3. Strain beef to remove extra fat, transfer to your crock pot.
  4. Dice Onions and Peppers and add to pot.
  5. Add, beans, tomatoes and jalepenos to pot with all juices from cans. Add one cup of water using one of the cans.
  6. Add a few tablespoons of cumin, chili powder. Usually I use about a third container of each from your normal sized small spice container.
  7. Add half a cup of flour to one of your empty cans and fill it with cold water till 3/4th full. Mix with a spoon till creamy then add to pot.
  8. Let cook for 90 mins stirring every 30 mins, then repeat last step with more flour if it's not thick enough. Taste and add more chili or cumin as needed.
  9. Cook another 60 mins then add two handfuls of shredded cheese and mix into the chili.
  10. Cook for 30 more mins then serve with saltines! Enjoy.
#2 Posted by weegieanawrench (1935 posts) -

I wish everyday was chili day. Bookmarked.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

I'll make good use of this. Thanks.

#4 Posted by WiFiPirate (141 posts) -

Dave, I have no concept of "Lemon Pepper to taste". Can you give us anything to go on for that one?

#5 Posted by BonOrbitz (2160 posts) -

@snide: Thanks Radio Dave! I could use a break from my chili recipe so I'll give yours a shot. I guess I'm up for driving to Anaheim for some peppers.

#6 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@WiFiPirate said:

Dave, I have no concept of "Lemon Pepper to taste". Can you give us anything to go on for that one?

#7 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1446 posts) -

Dave, why is Whiskey Media so cool that it literally hurts me? I will try this out sometime in the future, GB Sausalito is go!

#8 Posted by WiFiPirate (141 posts) -

@snide: Not actually what I meant... I was going for "a dash of" ... or "a pinch of". I just don't know how lemon pepper will alter the taste.

#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

and I will definitely have to make this when she comes to the States for the summer. Thanks Dave!

#10 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
#11 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

@snide: How about a gazpacho recipe next?

#12 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@WiFiPirate said:

@snide: Not actually what I meant... I was going for "a dash of" ... or "a pinch of". I just don't know how lemon pepper will alter the taste.

4 or 5 shakes! Just enough to cover the meat in the pan.

#13 Posted by WiFiPirate (141 posts) -

@snide: Cool... Cumin, and Chili Power (and obviously salt and pepper) I know what they do to food, just never dealt with Lemon Pepper. Thanks again Dave! Can't wait to try this one out.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@weegieanawrench said:

I wish everyday was chili day. Bookmarked.

QFT

I hope this becomes a monthly feature!

#15 Posted by Sergio (2050 posts) -

I like to go with a combination of pinto, kidney, and black beans, even though traditional chili is w/o beans.

#16 Posted by Deathpooky (1374 posts) -

Man do I love making chili. The best part about it is you really can't go wrong. Different types of meat, seasoning, veggies, liquids. Really it'll all taste and smell delicious if you start with a good base, slow cook it all day, and season it as needed.

My standard recipe is similar to yours Dave, except I don't use as much flour, use a can of beer and some stock for liquid, and usually toss in some cayenne and chipotle seasonings depending on how much extra heat/smokiness I'm looking for. Makes for a good hearty, warm chili. Think I'll make some this weekend.

#17 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

@WiFiPirate said:

When someone says "to taste" it usually means that it is a very strong tasting ingredient so you want to add a VERY small amount (or, more specifically, you want to make sure you don't add too much ie: adding a bit, stirring, tasting to see if it is enough).

This looks pretty different from my standard chili recipe! I'll have to give this a try one of these days.

#18 Posted by seannao (223 posts) -

Thanks, man! Can't wait to try it. Probably end up making it for next week.

#19 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Crock pot? Does it have to be a crock pot? Can I sling this into a regular pan on a gas hob? I'm not 100% sure what a crock pot even is.

I'm buying all this junk on the way home, will report back later ^__^

#20 Posted by csl316 (8106 posts) -

Well, can't say I expected this from David.

#21 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Nice. After the promo image for the last Happy Hour with the coney dog, I was afraid you guys didn't know what the fuck chili was. So glad to be wrong. I'll use this recipe for reference next time I make chili.

@Sweep
Yes you can. That's how my mom makes chili, except it's an electric stove. No real difference, just don't get it too hot. Also make sure it's deep enough like a good pot. Not so much a pan.

#22 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Sweep said:

Crock pot? Does it have to be a crock pot? Can I sling this into a regular pan on a gas hob? I'm not 100% sure what a crock pot even is.

Gas Hob? That sounds like something your body does after you eat the chili.
#23 Posted by Wraith1 (555 posts) -

Every month should have a Chili Day

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

GB store new merch - staff recipe cookbook.

#25 Edited by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Is there nutritional info on this? Want a calorie and protein count so I can get this into my workout diet.

#26 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (954 posts) -

Awesome, I just got a crock pot too.

#27 Edited by OldGuy (1512 posts) -
@Sweep said:

Actually, it'll taste better that way. Brown the meat and carmelize the onions in the pan, then add the spices till they are fragrant and throw in the flour to toast 30 seconds to a minute (and get rid of the raw flour flavor). Then add the rest (Except the beans. Beans are not for chili. No beans in chili. Beans are not bad in and of themselves, but in chili they are wrong). Cook on a very low flame. Keep an eye on it and add liquid if the stove it hot enough that it removes too much.

Oh, wait, I see he has a browning step in there. So it's also better because you only have to clean one pot! :-)

I wouldn't mix the flour in the can, since by toasting it a bit it tastes better, just add the water slowly to the pan while stirring after you've toasted the flour and you'll be good.

But, still. No beans.
#28 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

I'd eat that.

#29 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Muchas Gracias, senor dave!

#30 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Fuck. Now I have to make the choice between pizza and chili tonight...

#31 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Not really a fan of chili. Next time it should be curry day. A livestream of the crew eating vindaloo and watching a Tim Curry marathon.

#32 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@Sweep: A Crock Pot is an electric slow cooker.

#33 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

There is no chili in this country and I´ve never had any, Im interested in trying to make it, but I have no idea where to get Chili Powder. I can get all the other stuff easily, but does anyone know:

- what is in that powder.

- can I try to make chili without it? (Chili powder sounds pretty important in the chili-making process though...)

- can I substitute it with something else?.

Thanks!

#34 Edited by endaround (2138 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

There is no chili in this country and I´ve never had any, Im interested in trying to make it, but I have no idea where to get Chili Powder. I can get all the other stuff easily, but does anyone know:

- what is in that powder.

- can I try to make chili without it? (Chili powder sounds pretty important in the chili-making process though...)

- can I substitute it with something else?.

Thanks!

You can but it really isn't that easy. But to help:

The time start isn't working, it starts at about 4m4s

#35 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

@Sweep: You bet your ass you can. You just have to be careful with the heat

#36 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Dave Snider: master of making websites and chili. Thank you, sir!

#37 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Happy, happy chili day!

Happy, happy chili day!

It's beeeeef!

And beaaaans!

It's beeeeef!

And beaaaans!

#38 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Awesome. I needed to spice up my cooking anyways. So when do we get a Dave Snider Cooking Show?

#39 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I am totally going to make this. Thanks, Dave!

#40 Edited by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

Served with saltines, eh? I should try that. I usually have some couscous with my chili.

And for some goddamn reason I've never used cheese in my chili, that I'll have to try too. I really like chili, it's what I usually make if I'm going to be home alone for a while.

#41 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Alright so I followed Dave's instructions and it actually turned out pretty great! The picture doesn't really do it justice:

I also fucked up the measurements quite a bit, and was just using a regular pan (Which wasn't really big enough, which is why it looks like it's overflowing) so I ended up economising on a lot of the ingredients. I have to say that this was fantastically spicy, which was perfect. It cost me about £20 in all, which was my entire food budget for the week, but I now have enough chilli to last me the next 3 or 4 days, so I'm not going to starve. Never not chilli, apparently?!

#42 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

@OldGuy: No beans? You're not eating chili, then.

#43 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -
@Sweep said:

Alright so I followed Dave's instructions and it actually turned out pretty great! The picture doesn't really do it justice:

I also fucked up the measurements quite a bit, and was just using a regular pan (Which wasn't really big enough, which is why it looks like it's overflowing) so I ended up economising on a lot of the ingredients. I have to say that this was fantastically spicy, which was perfect. It cost me about £20 in all, which was my entire food budget for the week, but I now have enough chilli to last me the next 3 or 4 days, so I'm not going to starve. Never not chilli, apparently?!

You damn slob!

... Looks good though.
#44 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

@Chemin: My kitchen is super clean, all that mess was made as a direct result of trying to cook a fuck-load of chilli in a medium sized pan!

#45 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1669 posts) -
@Deathpooky said:

Man do I love making chili. The best part about it is you really can't go wrong. Different types of meat, seasoning, veggies, liquids. Really it'll all taste and smell delicious if you start with a good base, slow cook it all day, and season it as needed.

Exactly! Just throw some stuff into a crock pot, and you'll get something good. It's real-life alchemy, really.
#46 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Chemin: My kitchen is super clean, all that mess was made as a direct result of trying to cook a fuck-load of chilli in a medium sized pan!

I don't doubt that. I was just admiring, and making fun of, your mess.

I'm more of a wipe-while-cooking-kind of guy. I make a mess, I clean it up right away. Then again, you do have live fire to worry about. That does make things a bit more complicated.
#47 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

I ALWAYS strain the beans and wash them first because that fucking goopy gel in the canned beans ruins the flavor for me. Fresh Jalapenos are key as well, with the seeds. You get a much more bitter and spicy chili that way than if you use canned or jarred ones. Who wants soggy peppers anyway?

#48 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@Getz said:

I ALWAYS strain the beans and wash them first because that fucking goopy gel in the canned beans ruins the flavor for me. Fresh Jalapenos are key as well, with the seeds. You get a much more bitter and spicy chili that way than if you use canned or jarred ones. Who wants soggy peppers anyway?

My argument would be that chili is goop. There's not much reason to delay the inevitable.

#49 Posted by caska (113 posts) -

Either it's because I'm on the wrong side of the world or I'm just an idiot but I don't think I've ever seen Anaheim peppers before. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being some insane extra hot Indian curry that's made tasting redundant because your tongue is burning, how hot is it?

#50 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

While chili is certainly a glorious food, I still feel confused by the existence of Chili Day. More specifically, why did it take place at Dave's apartment instead of at the office? Is there a reason they spent most of the day at Dave's recording a podcast and Quick Look, or is Whiskey Media just a really easygoing company?