• 67 results
#1 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

#2 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Hell yeah! The only way to live.

#3 Posted by Sanity (1949 posts) -

Never really tried them, would love to learn tho. I find it amazing people can eat rice with them.

#4 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I feel that chopsticks make you feel closer to your food. It's like eating with your fingers without having to eat with your fingers. There is something more elegant yet visceral about it, at least once you learn to use them.

And the lack of chopstick interest here is bumming me out.

#5 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Who are you, Jackie Chan?

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Neither of the options.

#7 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

Not when there's a choice in the matter, no.

#8 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4488 posts) -

I'll come back when I actually learn how to eat with them.

#9 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

Theyre retarded as hell but Ive developed a habit in using them so thats why I use them most of the time

#10 Posted by Jothel (936 posts) -

I live in Japan so I kinda have to, it's surprising how quickly you can begin to eat rice with them.

#11 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

Fork you!

#12 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Depends on the food and if I wanna feel all fancy and better than everyone else at the table not able to eat using chopsticks. 
But no, they're not in fact the only way to live. 

I'm not a crazy wapanese person 
Or Wanese? .. one of those... 

Anyways, I'm not a crazy wannabe-japanese or chinese guy

#13 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

Knife and fork is superior in every way.

#14 Posted by UitDeToekomst (743 posts) -

I can't think of a situation in which I'd find chopsticks preferable to a fork, knife and/or spoon combo.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

I have no use for them for I would not mind learning. Make me feel cultured.

#16 Posted by Turambar (6892 posts) -

As a Chinese person, the apparently mysterious nature granted to chopsticks always makes me laugh a bit. But no, they are definitely not the only way to live. For one thing, we use spoons too.

For anyone trying to learn to use chopsticks, here's a piece of key advice: don't just hold it with your index finger and thumb. Use the space between the two fingers as a pivot, while using a closed middle finger as support as well.

#17 Posted by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

well you cant have soup with them so no.

#18 Posted by Fattony12000 (7564 posts) -

Yes.

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

No! Fuck no! I can barely use them. I eat with my BARE HAAAAANDS. Ok, not true, but still, fuck chopsticks.

#20 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1472 posts) -

They have many uses.

#21 Posted by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -

Of course.

#22 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

The only way to eat.

#23 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -
@ZeForgotten
Depends on the food and if I wanna feel all fancy and better than everyone else at the table not able to eat using chopsticks. 

I think you mean a Weeaboo
#24 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Eh, I have a hard time eating rice with them. I definitely use them for sushi and chinese though, but I wouldn't use them "full-time".

Amazing tool for avoiding cheeto fingers though 

#25 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

When I eat oriental cuisine I will usually use chopsticks, I have no problem eating with them and it's fun to use something different.

#26 Posted by Rebel_Scum (770 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Never really tried them, would love to learn tho. I find it amazing people can eat rice with them.

Some rice (medium grain) is sticky so it ain't that hard to eat. It all sticks together so its like picking up a date or fig cos its soft.

#27 Edited by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

It's interesting to think of the ways different cuisines have developed based on regional utensils. While I would feel downright silly eating most Asian foods with a knife and fork, I would feel equally silly eating most Western foods with chopsticks. There's a right tool for every job. Sometimes that tool is a pair of chopsticks. Sometimes you need a knife and fork.

#28 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I love them. Ever since I learned to use them whenever I eat Asian food I always search around for the chopstick bin or ask for them, I find them really fun.

#29 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

FUCK THAT LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS IS AMERICA

#30 Posted by Wraith1 (576 posts) -

depends on what I'm eating

#31 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

FUCK THAT. SPORKS 4 LIFE.

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I used chopsticks to stir my coffee today, does that count?

Otherwise I'm all for the fork, knife and spoon, much more efficient. I guess I use them for the novelty sometimes.

#33 Posted by Roadshell (42 posts) -

Love 'em. They're half the fun of eating chinese food.

#34 Posted by selbie (1968 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Eh, I have a hard time eating rice with them. I definitely use them for sushi and chinese though, but I wouldn't use them "full-time".

Holy shit that had me in stitches XD

#35 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I only really use them for sushi, and it's incredibly easy to 'learn' how to use them. When in rome

#36 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

FUCK THAT. SPORKS 4 LIFE.

Only good counter-argument I've seen in this thread.

#37 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

i will use them if they are provided by the restaurant. obviously I don't prefer them, otherwise I would use them at home. you have to prepare the food in a particular way to make it compatible with chopstick eating. knife/fork/spoon can tackle anything.

#38 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Eh, I have a hard time eating rice with them. I definitely use them for sushi and chinese though, but I wouldn't use them "full-time".

...son of a bitch! I don't eat cheetos but I do enjoy a potato chip or fifty when the mood strikes. i will attempt this later tonight and report back with my findings! 0__0

#39 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

I started off eating sushi with them, it went really easy with no experience. Ive eaten Ramen seafood soup bowl with them, went well surprisingly. Give me a soft shelled crab in Tempura I look like a child!

Still like them, wont use them for everyday.

#40 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

I've been eating with them since I was 4, so hell yeah ;)

#41 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

It's actually easier than fork/spork for sushi, and I love sushi, so hell yeah.

#42 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

I have made an attempt on the potato chip experiment just now.

Chip style: corn chip, seasoned, triangular shape

Container: chip bag

Chopsticks: lacquered wood, 7" length, fairly severe point taper

impressions: it takes some getting used to, and would be easier with a wider chip style like a potato ripple type, or a puffy kettle style. The tapered points of my chopsticks made grabbing the thin corn chips to be a bit challenging but still workable. A thicker restaurant style chopstick would be a better tool for this. Once I got used to it, it's just as easy as fingers. More tidy. Rather dignified. A little tricky to do without having to look into the bag to aim, though. :D

#43 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

It's actually easier than fork/spork for sushi, and I love sushi, so hell yeah.

If you use a fork for sushi, you're doing it wrong.

Its either chopsticks or fingers for that.

#44 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (888 posts) -

Give me a pair of clean plastic gloves and I'll gladly eat with my hands.

Also, chopsticks.

#45 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

Give me a pair of clean plastic gloves and I'll gladly eat with my hands.

Also, chopsticks.

Gloves? Lol wuss.

I'd eat anything with my bare hands. Except for things I wouldn't eat even with utensils.

#46 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (888 posts) -

@NiKva: Wet and/or greasy hands are the worst! If I'm going to risk having people call me a fucking caveman for eating with my hands, I might as well be a classy caveman!

#47 Posted by Pepsiman (2491 posts) -

Chinese and Japanese foods are regular staples of my own cooking, so having chopsticks in my life is just par for the course. I'll actually also use cooking chopsticks when making certain types of Western dishes, though, especially when I'm doing stuff like cooking up chicken pieces since chopsticks are way easier to work with in that situation than something like a spatula. In total I think I have something like four different pairs of chopsticks for different situations because I'm a crazy person.

#48 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Oriental food is the best. At this stage, I'm almost more comfortable with chopsticks, than with knives and forks.

#49 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Gladiator_Games said:
@ZeForgotten

I think you mean a Weeaboo
Nope because that's just a dumb word that doesn't mean a damn thing. 
Wannabe Japanese is easier to remember and really shows when someone is really just a wannabe. 
#50 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Chopsticks are just giant, broken tweezers.

Also, I was 'taught' to use them in a restaurant in China town in London, which was apparently hilarious to everyone there :(