Posted by NotTheBees (26 posts) 8 months, 27 days ago

Chris Benoit film..good idea? (125 votes)

Yes 34%
No 66%

Well this should be interesting. SRG Films are moving ahead with 'Crossface', the film adaptation of legendary pro wrestler Chris Benoit.

Benoit is, tragically, remembered best for the murder of his wife and young son as well as his own suicide directly afterward. The film is set to tell the life story of Benoit, from his rise through the ranks of pro wrestling to his death.

I am personally interested to see how this is going to play out. The details of the double murder and suicide are murky at best, and I can't see Vince McMahon or the Benoit family being particularly pleased about this upcoming biopic.

#1 Edited by jimmyfenix (3680 posts) -

Nope its insensitive and will probably bash pro wrestling and mcmahon

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

Sounds like a terrible idea.

#3 Posted by icytower38 (454 posts) -

What happened is tragic as all hell, but I've never discredited his in ring talents. I really wish the WWE would do one of there best of DVD's and then allow him in the HoF. But yeah that's a pipe dream, anyway I'm fine with it.

#4 Posted by falserelic (4941 posts) -

Yep, lets see his rampage reacted on TV.

#5 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I believe that he was a wrestler for his entire adult life, so I don't know how they are going to fill 90 minutes before getting to the bummer ending.

I enjoyed watching Benoit for many, many years and prefer to remember him through the great matches that he worked rather than the Lifetime Movie Channel drama which capped his career. I would imagine that any fictionalized version of his story is going to be morbid or gross or both, I don't see the need for it or the value in it.

#6 Posted by NotTheBees (26 posts) -

Oh, and Liev Schriever is supposedly playing the part of Benoit

#7 Posted by Flappy (2034 posts) -

Man...I dunno. Dude was an awesome wrestler with a lot of heart, but I'd hate to be anywhere close to that ending.

#8 Edited by TurboMan (6943 posts) -

No, since it will probably not be done right.

Benoit is such a mystery, since most of the people closest to him (Chris Jericho spent a good quarter of his book talking about his times with Benoit for example) to being a great human being and a good family man before what he eventually did. We know that he had a lot of problems with concussions and that effected him late in life, but there is no known family issues before what happened.

So yeah, no way is this film going to be accurate because of the simple fact that we just don't know... and since it's a movie it will probably be filled with scenes of foreshadowing that's just added in for thematic effect.

@icytower38 said:

I really wish the WWE would do one of there best of DVD's and then allow him in the HoF.

not gonna happen.

---

Edit: If anything positive happened because of the Benoit Tragedy, it's that WWE and most other respected organizations have their own wellness policy in place that doesn't allow any kind of steroid or antibiotic use of any kind and that most wrestling promotions treat concussions very seriously now and have banned a number of moves (Steel Chair to the head for example) that can lead to a concussion). I doubt any of that would be covered in the movie.

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (5964 posts) -

I don't really know the details of what the late portion of his life was like, but in all of these cases of films about sensitive issues, there's a very fine line between endearing/sympathetic and tasteless/morbid.

#10 Posted by Milkman (16227 posts) -

No, absolutely not.

#11 Posted by Nitrocore (356 posts) -

Maybe a documentary, that would be alright to watch. I'm not so sure about a regular film though.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

Nooooooooooooooope. Regardless of the circumstances, the dude is known for murdering his family and killing himself now. Kind of hard to empathize with him now.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

Fuck no.

#14 Posted by Jaytow (673 posts) -

In an effort to make the story more appealing he wrestles his family at the end!

It's the crossface!

On a serious note, I hope they don't include the incident with his family.

#15 Edited by jeffrud (376 posts) -

Chris Benoit was my favorite wrestler growing up, even more than Mick Foley. Everything around his death is a tragedy, and I understand why the WWE has tried to distance themselves as far from Benoit as possible. A documentary about his life could be incredible; a shmultzy drama might be the worst thing ever made, especially if there is a bunch of foreshadowing like a previous post mentioned.

#16 Edited by gaminghooligan (1344 posts) -

Guy was a great wrestler, but after the incident with his family, I don't know man....

#17 Posted by Pr1mus (3512 posts) -

If they want to make a movie around that subject matter based on a true story there are probably many other, more interesting peoples and events that aren't that recent they could pick from.

Besides no one from the public and possibly even both families know much of anything in how everything went down. Leaving this to the "creative" people writing the script is a recipe for disaster and tasteless hollywood bullcrap.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I see no greater 'insult' or 'insensitivity' in making a Chris Benoit movie than I do making one about Alexander of Macedon. One certainly killed a whole lot more people, what's the difference? That none of their friends are around to be upset by the memory that it happened?

Nope its insensitive and will probably bash pro wrestling and mcmahon

I don't see it as bashing pro wrestling, it'll just show people how physically damaging it is and how much painkiller and chemical abuse is required to meet the demands of brutal promoters ... like Vince McMahon. Having to wrestle while hurt, having to use steroids to get Vince's image of greatness, these are the things that led to Benoit's murderous insanity, and they can be put on Vince McMahon's managerial style.

#19 Edited by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Only if it's handled delicately and not glorified in any way. The movie should be more of a cautionary tale, or something exploring the causes behind something like this, maybe even examining the greater issue of substance abuse that is rampant in wrestling. Basically, I can't see this working as a fiction film. This should be a doc.

#20 Posted by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

Honestly, I'd still pop for Benoit.

#21 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Your opinion on the death of Chris Benoit probably varies depending on what stage in the reporting you found out about it. Alas, there's a lot of bad shit going down in pro wrestling that people don't want to admit, and it might not hurt to shine a light on that. However, there's also plenty of room for inciting a moral panic too. I'm hoping the guys doing this film handle it with some sensitivity.

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Maybe a documentary, that would be alright to watch. I'm not so sure about a regular film though.

This. I don't think a live action film is required. I'd rather just watch a documentary. It could make a good movie if done supremely well which I doubt would be the case.

#23 Edited by Atlas (2400 posts) -

Man, I dunno. As people have mentioned, I have my doubts that this incredibly tragic moment in the history of pro wrestling, up there with the three Von Erich suicides, Owen Hart, and Eddie Guerrero, will be handled with the sensitivity that it deserves in a feature film. It's a story that's worth telling, as both a story of triumph (his Wrestlemania 20 win is one of the greatest feel-good moments I've ever witnessed in wrestling), and as a cautionary tale. It's especially relevant in a climate where pro sports, as well as pro wrestling, are increasingly concerned about concussions and brain injuries - I remember it being reported at the time in Figure Four Weekly and Wrestling Observer that at his death aged 40, Benoit's brain was in a condition similar to that an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient.

I'd rather it be a documentary, though, as opposed to a feature film. There are plenty of people who knew Benoit for a long-ass time, and can tell stories both of his finest years and then of his darkest final moment: Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio Jr., Perry Saturn, Paul Heyman, Booker T, and of course Bret Hart all come to mind. Then there's the sensitive matter of Kevin Sullivan, whose wife Nancy left him for Benoit in an example of kayfabe becoming reality, and which ended with the double-murder-suicide of Nancy and their son.

#24 Edited by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

He gave up his health and his sanity to wrestling, so I've always felt like he deserved one of their collections, but instead they've ignored his legacy because it makes them look bad. If it was something like that, then I think it would be okay. The idea of a dramatization sounds super risky, and I doubt they'll treat the story with the tact it deserves, but it could be done properly.

#25 Posted by RecSpec (3679 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with a movie being made, as long as they handle it right. I'm skeptical that this will happen though.

#26 Posted by Rotnac (523 posts) -

I voted No but it probably wouldn't be as horrible as that ICP "Chris Benoit" song/music video.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (13851 posts) -

Depending on how its handled. Bottom line is Benoit regardless of his horrific actions and regardless of the circumstances surrounding them was one of the best professional wrestlers of all time. If handled in the right way it could be an informative look inside the life of Benoit. I don't think anyone is trying to absolve him of his sins but refusing to broach a subject just because it has such a social stigma is silly. The chapter in Chris Jericho's book about Benoit was absolutely amazing and Chris Jericho being one of his best friends painted a very interesting picture of Benoit.

I would be interested in watching it only if the directors/producers involved were unbiased in thier overall message and presented an unbiased documentary about Benoit and his life.

#28 Posted by Roger778 (949 posts) -

I'm not sure I would enjoy watching a bio-pic about a man who murdered his family, even if he was a pro wrestler.

#29 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

I can't see this happening at all, especially with how the WWE practically won't even mention him anymore.

#30 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@equitasinvictus said:

I can't see this happening at all, especially with how the WWE practically won't even mention him anymore.

They wouldn't be able to stop a documentary or biopic though. Perhaps block some interview and archive footage, but they don't 'own' Chris Benoit.

That said, it's a shame all that stuff is lost in the ether, even if it's the right thing to do. That Smackdown tag tournament in late 2002 was one of my favourite angles (no pun) ever, but at the end of the day it's insane to complain about them not wanting to associate the product with someone who was ultimately a murderer.

#31 Edited by LTSmash (556 posts) -

Why don't we make a film about Ric Flair's disaster of a life while we're at it? Gross.

#32 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@ltsmash said:

Why don't we make a film about Ric Flair's disaster of a life while we're at it? Gross.

Easier when they're dead? Besides, Ric Flair's done an almost decent enough job of keeping his financial situation from overshadowing his work, as far as audiences are generally aware, anyway.

#33 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

Well it depends how it's done, but we can't just never talk about bad things that have happened. Bad shit happening is a part of life; pretending it isn't won't make it happen any less, as much as some of the hand wringers around here would like to convince themselves otherwise.

#34 Posted by icytower38 (454 posts) -

@turboman said:
@icytower38 said:

I really wish the WWE would do one of there best of DVD's and then allow him in the HoF.

not gonna happen.

Oh I know, but a man can always dream that one day his end will be accepted as a tragedy and more people can move on and accept it.

#35 Posted by Whamola (114 posts) -

No, because where the fuck is my Macho Man biopic?

#36 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -
#37 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

I'd love to see a documentary, but yeah, it sucks how the end of his life completely overshadows his great wrestling career. Such is the way of things, I guess.

#38 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

It'd be awesome, I love the canadian crippler! Man whatever happened to that guy?

#39 Posted by jerseyscum (852 posts) -

The director might have to change Benoit's name because the WWE will probably file legal action. I doubt they want people reminded one of their stars killed their family in a brain-damage induced rage.

Didn't they throw a hissy fit over Beyond the Mat?

#40 Posted by John1912 (1742 posts) -

While interesting for the train wreck of it, I cant see how this wouldnt end up kinda tasteless....Unless maybe they deal with killing his family and himself in the first part of the movie, and spend the rest putting a positive spin on his life. I could give a fuck about how it portrays wrestling or those involved, but there are still family that this impacts and this is prob not in their interest.

#41 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

Great idea Benoit if the greatest wrestler of all time. While cares if he murder his wife and son, the guy is a legend.

#42 Posted by OurSin_360 (755 posts) -

What happened is tragic as all hell, but I've never discredited his in ring talents. I really wish the WWE would do one of there best of DVD's and then allow him in the HoF. But yeah that's a pipe dream, anyway I'm fine with it.

I remember directly after his death they put together an entire segment the same night and aired it, then found out how he died and never mentioned him again.

People really loved the guy outside the ring from what i remember, and everybody was completely shocked with what he did.

#43 Edited by CommanderIsaac (4 posts) -

Hell no, he was a great wrestler that's for sure but you're not going to get enough substance (no pun intended) for a good film about him...not to mention his horrible demise.

@thehumandove

The guy was having substance issues (I think it was roids) and so one day he was on roid rage (I think), killed his infant son and his wife and then offed himself.

The WWE pretty much denied his existance after the details of the incident were revealed.

#44 Posted by Mcfart (1425 posts) -

This won't be released. WWE will see to that. They care too much about their image.

#45 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

Sure why not there are tons of movies about Hitler so why not from Benoit as well? This sounds really interesting but prbably depends who is doing it. If its michael bay it will be terrible though^^

#46 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2142 posts) -

No. That's just... no.

#47 Edited by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

@darji said:

Sure why not there are tons of movies about Hitler so why not from Benoit as well? This sounds really interesting but prbably depends who is doing it. If its michael bay it will be terrible though^^

He did one of the most awful things you can do, but it still leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth that you're comparing him to Hitler.

#48 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

@hunter5024: I am not really comparing him. I am just saying that there are a lot of movies about terrible people and what they did so why should this one be an exception? I used Hitler to make my standpoint more clear^^

#49 Edited by Hero_Swe (1079 posts) -

who?

#50 Edited by Clonedzero (3720 posts) -

Only if its a dark comedy.