• 56 results
#1 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

I have been tasked at my place of employment with coming up with a suitable film to play at our... Holiday party... in December...

The issue is that there are plenty of people who work here that are Jewish, so an overtly Christmas-y film would probably be out-of-place.

Are there any holiday-themed films that aren't straight-up Christmas? The few I could come up with are kind of messed up, like The Shining, or Die Hard 1 and 2. Even Scrooged gets kind of dark toward the end.

Are there any Hanukkah films? Preferably without Adam Sandler?

#2 Posted by craigieh28 (74 posts) -

Groundhog Day? It's wintery, it's snowy and it's extremely life-affirming, but has nothing to do with Christmas.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Die Hard.

#4 Edited by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

The right answer. Die Hard is hardly messed up. It's just great. If anyone objects you don't want them at your party.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

I like CHRISTMAS Story myself.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@psylah said:

I have been tasked at my place of employment with coming up with a suitable film to play at our... Holiday party... in December...

The issue is that there are plenty of people who work here that are Jewish, so an overtly Christmas-y film would probably be out-of-place.

Are there any holiday-themed films that aren't straight-up Christmas? The few I could come up with are kind of messed up, like The Shining, or Die Hard 1 and 2. Even Scrooged gets kind of dark toward the end.

Are there any Hanukkah films? 

Well, there is that one cartoon with Ada... 

Preferably without Adam Sandler?

God dang it
#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

It's a motherfucking Wonderful Life motherfuckers.

#8 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

#9 Posted by KatyGaGa (296 posts) -

Happiness

#10 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

Full Court MiracleIt's about a group of young Jewish kids who are determined to prove themselves by winning a high school basketball tournament.

#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

This is the only right answer.
#12 Posted by Getz (3017 posts) -

Yentl?

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

Jingle All the Way also an American Classic

#14 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

One rather great holiday movie that's often overlooked is a holiday themed fantasy film called 'Hogfather' from one of Terry Pratchett's books.

Intro & trailer below, as for the book/movie, here's the info: The film (compiled from a tv miniseries) closely follows the plot of the novel, in which the Hogfather, the Discworld equivalent to Father Christmas, has gone missing and Death is forced to take his place while his granddaughter Susan attempts to find out what happened.

#15 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

It's a Wonderful Life, it has hardly anything to do with Christmas but it's considered a holiday movie.

#16 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

Trading Places (1983) - Set during the holidays, but has little to do with Santa, Baby Jesus or stupid Angels and wings.

Elf (2003) - Has Santa stuff and is set around Christmas, but really is more of a winter holiday rom-com

Home Alone (1990) - The second installment also counts, but let's face it, who the fuck wants to watch that one?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) - It doesn't matter what denomination you are, or if you have none, everybody can relate to annoying in-laws and family gatherings all going so horribly wrong. Also, fuck anybody who opposes it, this is THE BEST HOLIDAY MOVIE OF ALL TIME. (Fuck you, A Christmas Story.)

Love Actually (2003) - Not really a PG rated film, if that's going to be an issue, but is a generally funny rom-com that mocks the holiday season more than embracing it's inherent Christian bias.

#17 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Jack Frost is the best christmas movie! Michael Keaton as a snowman...that's all I have to say!

#18 Edited by Labman (288 posts) -

Like said Love Actually is a great choice...it's one of my favourites movies of all time. Don't let the whole rom-com thing throw you, it's actually a very good movie and quite funny to boot. But, be forewarned, there is some minor nudity if that's a problem.

#19 Edited by Fattony12000 (7418 posts) -
#20 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Labman: Also, some of the best Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy since Shaun of the Dead

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

Home Alone 1 & 2? I dunno. Is that Chevy Chase movie too christmassy?

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

It's always Die Hard. Everyone loves that movie no matter your gender, race or creed. It's a holiday classic. If you're the one person who doesn't like it, well... you're the grinch.

@allworkandlowpay: Why The French Connection? I mean it's awesome, but any holiday references totally slipped my mind. It has been a while.

#23 Posted by The_Ruiner (1060 posts) -

Home Alone

#24 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

And maybe the Home Alone movies? I guess they are pretty "Christmas-y" though.

#25 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

@craigieh28 said:

Groundhog Day? It's wintery, it's snowy and it's extremely life-affirming, but has nothing to do with Christmas.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

#26 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I just now remembered The Titans.

#27 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Labman: Also, some of the best Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy since Shaun of the Dead

Exactly! Gotta love Bill Nighy. THREAD JACK: Have you seen The Boat That Rocked (aka Pirate Radio)? Great flick and soundtrack.

#28 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Die Hard

#29 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Was he picking his feet in poughkeepsie? I recall it looking cold in the French Connection. I'm assuming no one here is black, it's possible you'd find Doyle offensive if you were though it was meant to be "edgy." Since the OP was worried about Christmas being too Christmassy I think Racism being too Racist-y is probably a tad more of an issue, though it's all the director's prerogative in the case of that film (Hackman was reluctant).

#30 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Labman: I'll see if it's on Netflix instant stream. It's the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman right? I remember seeing the trailers and it sorta slipped under my radar.

#31 Posted by Fallen189 (5009 posts) -

The answer you're looking for is "Bad Santa"

#32 Posted by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

It's a Wonderful Life

Elf

@Fattony12000: I think this is the best post I've seen all year.

#33 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

I'm not normally a fan of older movies, but this one really blew me away with how good it was.

#34 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave

Motherfucking this.
#35 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

What are the names of these movies? They're the only ones I can't guess.

For the OP. I agree that Groundhog Day is a great choice but I'm not so sure it's great for a party. People probably won't be listening to or paying attention to the movie so much. I'd go for a movie that is pretty screwed up or weird. That way you don't have to pay attention and it's a conversation piece. Maybe Gremlins? Nightmare before Christmas seems like a nice movie too but may be too Christmas-y. But yeah, if your office is kind of awkward and people will definitely be watching the movie because they don't want to talk to eachother then I would go with Groundhog Day.

#36 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5008 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

I have a machine gun. Hohoho.

#37 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay: That's the one! It's on Netflix Canada under the name Pirate Radio.

#38 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4678 posts) -

@Fattony12000: What are those movies. Well, I know some of them but not many.

#39 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

It's a Wonderful Life, it has hardly anything to do with Christmas but it's considered a holiday movie.

Hell yes. That movie is unintentionally hilarious, and legitimately awesome.

#40 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5515 posts) -

Although it's not Christmas,Plains,Trains,and Automobiles is a great Holiday movie.Every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's a must watch.

#41 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave

#42 Edited by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

You play movies at your work Christmas party? Isn't the whole point of a works Christmas party to get as drunk as humanly possible and make a massive fool out of yourself in front of your co-workers? That doesn't sound like the optimal conditions to watch a movie in.

#43 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

Die Hard and Home Alone. Also, Die Hard 3, cause it's awesome.

#44 Posted by PenguinDust (12522 posts) -

Gremlins. Slightly less violent than Die Hard and far less annoying than Home Alone.

#45 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

@IzzyGraze: The first one is The Hudsucker Proxy, don't know the other two.

#46 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I believe that someone mentioned The Hogfather, so I will echo that: The Hogfather.

#47 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I like CHRISTMAS Story myself.

Fudge!!!! I was about to post the same.

#48 Posted by Fattony12000 (7418 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

It's a Wonderful Life

Elf

@Fattony12000: I think this is the best post I've seen all year.

I know! Right!?

@Kidavenger said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I'm not normally a fan of older movies, but this one really blew me away with how good it was.

I know! Right!? Watch more old films like Metropolis and The Great Dictator and Seven Samurai, please.

@IzzyGraze said:

@Fattony12000 said:

What are the names of these movies? They're the only ones I can't guess.

For the OP. I agree that Groundhog Day is a great choice but I'm not so sure it's great for a party. People probably won't be listening to or paying attention to the movie so much. I'd go for a movie that is pretty screwed up or weird. That way you don't have to pay attention and it's a conversation piece. Maybe Gremlins? Nightmare before Christmas seems like a nice movie too but may be too Christmas-y. But yeah, if your office is kind of awkward and people will definitely be watching the movie because they don't want to talk to eachother then I would go with Groundhog Day.

From left to right:

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994, directed by Joel Coen).

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010, directed by Jalmari Helander).

Dreams of a Life (2011, directed by Carol Morley).

#49 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

Planes Trains and Automobiles is the best holiday film ever, sure its a Thanksgiving movie but fuck it, its awesome.

#50 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

You play movies at your work Christmas party? Isn't the whole point of a works Christmas party to get as drunk as humanly possible and make a massive fool out of yourself in front of your co-workers? That doesn't sound like the optimal conditions to watch a movie in.

It's for atmosphere, the sound wouldn't even be on.